Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unlocking your phone - spun off from " Calling girls vs. girls calling you"

Thanks

Re: Calling girls vs. girls calling you

I would turn my phone off for much of the day and when I would turn it back on I would have messages from various chicas. I would only call back when I was ready and it was actually pretty funny how the tone in their voice was different from not returning their call immediately. Also if the chica called and then hung up when I answered I would not call back, sure enough within 15 minutes it would be ringing again. When asked about why I did not call back I would just say Im on vacation and if you want to talk stay on the phone otherwise I will find something else to do.

I took my own unlocked razor and rented a SIM from the Orange store just up from Baileys. My total cost was 1600 pesos. 600 pesos for renting the SIM with a 500 peso deposit, 500 more pesos got 60 minutes of talk time which was way too much as we had free nights and weekends I think. I used all of 10 minutes of my paid time even though we spent over an hour + on the phone in 7 days.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilv4play For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ilv4play View Post

I took my own unlocked razor and rented a SIM from the Orange store just up from Baileys. My total cost was 1600 pesos. 600 pesos for renting the SIM with a 500 peso deposit, 500 more pesos got 60 minutes of talk time which was way too much as we had free nights and weekends I think. I used all of 10 minutes of my paid time even though we spent over an hour + on the phone in 7 days.

Not bad.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 519 Posts

I would turn my phone off for much of the day and when I would turn it back on I would have messages from various chicas. I would only call back when I was ready and it was actually pretty funny how the tone in their voice was different from not returning their call immediately. Also if the chica called and then hung up when I answered I would not call back, sure enough within 15 minutes it would be ringing again. When asked about why I did not call back I would just say Im on vacation and if you want to talk stay on the phone otherwise I will find something else to do.
    My phone is only off in MDE when I am "busy".. When it rings I always call back if I haven't lined up another chica before then..

The problem is only when I text but don't get a response, make a date with another and my first choice calls back..

I usually don't cancel on a chica once I make a time to meet..
    A Manwhore and Proud

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

I didn't think the cost of SIM cards went up that much? Last time I was in Sosua a few years ago, I Bought a SIM card with minutes for under 500 pesos.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevy View Post
    I didn't think the cost of SIM cards went up that much? Last time I was in Sosua a few years ago, I Bought a SIM card with minutes for under 500 pesos.
    I was at an actual Orange location and that is how it was broke out on the receipt. I was supposed to turn in the SIM on the Sunday we left but they were closed for Easter, so I could not get my deposit back.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ilv4play For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I was at an actual Orange location and that is how it was broke out on the receipt. I was supposed to turn in the SIM on the Sunday we left but they were closed for Easter, so I could not get my deposit back.
    still sounds like too much, I never heard of anyone paying like that and not getting a phone included,

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

still sounds like too much, I never heard of anyone paying like that and not getting a phone included,

Maybe he got ripped off?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

I'm pretty sure that Naps just bought a new phone for 550 or 600dop. I'm thinking about getting a new one when I go back down. To get rid of that ancient POS I've got.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

i bought a sim card at one of the claro stores a few months ago for around 500dop, with 15-30mins. you can get the refill cards everywhere, though.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    Maybe he got ripped off?
    maybe, never heard of this renting SIM cards either. A phone I can see that, but a SIM card? They are cheap everywhere I have been, except Canada.Hell in Thailand whynotme just got one for 149 Baht($5) with minutes

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    i bought a sim card at one of the claro stores a few months ago for around 500dop, with 15-30mins. you can get the refill cards everywhere, though.
    That's what I thought, I can't believe it went up that much.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

maybe, never heard of this renting SIM cards either. A phone I can see that, but a SIM card? They are cheap everywhere I have been, except Canada.Hell in Thailand whynotme just got one for 149 Baht($5) with minutes

I think I remember about Xman renting a Sim also.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Unlocking your phone - spun off from " Calling girls vs. girls calling you"

I did not try to shop around but also did not ask what a phone would cost to purchase. All I can say is those numbers are what Orange charged me. I also had to give them my passport in order to get a number so they set me up as a new account. On my receipt was noted that I needed to return the SIM on the 24th but they were closed for Easter Sunday. I would assume if you went with a street vendor that had a SIM that was active and they just kept adding minutes you could probably get away cheaper.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ilv4play For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I did not try to shop around but also did not ask what a phone would cost to purchase. All I can say is those numbers are what Orange charged me. I also had to give them my passport in order to get a number so they set me up as a new account. On my receipt was noted that I needed to return the SIM on the 24th but they were closed for Easter Sunday. I would assume if you went with a street vendor that had a SIM that was active and they just kept adding minutes you could probably get away cheaper.

It looks like you over paid by $30, so its no big deal at all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    It looks like you over paid by $30, so its no big deal at all.
    Next trip I will definitely shop around but I feel for what I paid and the dividends received, even if I paid $100.00 (that would have really pissed me off) I believe that having a working phone made the trip way more fun and broke the ice with a couple of gals that would have blown me off had I been aggressive with them.

Bottom line do your homework and have a working phone......

Thanks
    Thanked 31,734 Times in 3,148 Posts

everyone one should try to get their phone unlocked. Most cellphone companies will unlock your phone for free (as long as you've had it for more than 1month).

worse comes to worse you have a phone that is travel ready.
    If you have a smart phone just make sure you turn off anything that will use data service.

If you are there for a long stay you can get unlimited data for a month real cheap. Better than buying minutes because you can gchat or txt message with girls all day.

I had a cheap DR phone. i had a long day and the battery died. I had a emergency where i needed to make a call. I just took out my regular phone and popped in the sim, and i could start making calls. (my smartphone has a nice camera on it, wifi, and gps so i always keep it in my travel bag)

Thanks

I bought 5 razors for costa rica a couple of years ago on Ebay, so that my friends and I all had phones. I think I paid all of 10.00 per phone with chargers, from what I can recall 2 of them were already unlocked and the others I found someone on Ebay that I paid under 2.00 apiece for the codes to unlock them. They have come in quite handy with the trips we have made. They are old but they work and were cheap.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to ilv4play For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

Go to any Claro dealer and pay RD300 for a sim card that has RD100 minutes on it. Like others say, just buy top up minutes as you go. Keep the card with you when you leave and when you return after 3 months, all you need to do is pay the RD100 to re-activate it. Orange is rip off in the DR for prepaid minutes and sim card set ups.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 1,165 Posts

Last year in the DR I bought an Orange SIM card for 200 pesos and I think it came with 200 pesos worth of credit which was more than enough for many calls all week as well as a couple of calls to Canada and I ended up giving it to my Dominican buddy to use when I left.
    Sounds like you got ridiculously ripped off.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Poppi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

I just got back from a trip in mid-April where I got a phone from Orange in Sosua. 600 rd to buy the phone and 400 rd for about 45 minutes of time. Not a bad deal, I thought.
    Vida es buena....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information