Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unlocking your phone - spun off from " Calling girls vs. girls calling you"

Thanks

Re: Unlocking your phone - spun off from " Calling girls vs. girls calling you"

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder View Post
    Go to any Claro dealer and pay RD300 for a sim card that has RD100 minutes on it. Like others say, just buy top up minutes as you go. Keep the card with you when you leave and when you return after 3 months, all you need to do is pay the RD100 to re-activate it. Orange is rip off in the DR for prepaid minutes and sim card set ups.
    Claro it is next time.

Thanks

Ive got a unlocked Iphone 4. Do they sell the "small" SIM cards that fit the Iphone 4? Otherwise I might just bring my old Razor and use a regular size SIM card.

With my unlocked Iphone4 I have a app (My3G) that I can Facetime and Skype while simply on a 3G signal. (Dont need to have WiFi signal). Do they have 3G signals in Sousa?

Ive been to BB's before many times but I want to venture to Sousa for a week trip soon. Thinking about just staying at Rockys. Im a total newby to Sousa but not to the mongering scene. Any advise.

Hope to have a good trip report upon my return

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,336 Times in 6,473 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SlickMonkey View Post
    Ive got a unlocked Iphone 4. Do they sell the "small" SIM cards that fit the Iphone 4? Otherwise I might just bring my old Razor and use a regular size SIM card.

With my unlocked Iphone4 I have a app (My3G) that I can Facetime and Skype while simply on a 3G signal. (Dont need to have WiFi signal). Do they have 3G signals in Sousa?

Ive been to BB's before many times but I want to venture to Sousa for a week trip soon. Thinking about just staying at Rockys. Im a total newby to Sousa but not to the mongering scene. Any advise.

You should probably bring both just in case. In DR you can just about find anything and im sure someone on the board should know about the iphone.

Goodluck on your trip.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,650 Times in 2,270 Posts

Re: Calling girls vs. girls calling you

Quote Originally Posted by Si_Poppi View Post
    Last year in the DR I bought an Orange SIM card for 200 pesos and I think it came with 200 pesos worth of credit which was more than enough for many calls all week as well as a couple of calls to Canada and I ended up giving it to my Dominican buddy to use when I left.
    Sounds like you got ridiculously ripped off.
    This has been my experience. Buy a $200+ refill and get the sim card for free.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,650 Times in 2,270 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SlickMonkey View Post

Well, theres people using iphone 4s in the country, so im guessing the mini-sim is avalable.

As far as 3g v wifi, i wold always go w wifi. 3g means data charges. Wifi is mooching off a free router. There is 3g in dr, but its going to be at intl roaming rates. Which means that just checking your email will equal hundredsof dollars in usage fees.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uncle ruckus For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uncle ruckus View Post
    Well, theres people using iphone 4s in the country, so im guessing the mini-sim is avalable.

As far as 3g v wifi, i wold always go w wifi. 3g means data charges. Wifi is mooching off a free router. There is 3g in dr, but its going to be at intl roaming rates. Which means that just checking your email will equal hundredsof dollars in usage fees.
    Great post.

I dont know if its at &t or verizon that has the world phone but I have seen someone from the states who used his phone in the DR just as he would use it back home. When I asked him how he is able to do that he told me he had a world phone and it was a part of this plan or special phone. Thats as far as I went with that.

Its definitely not worth getting killed with the international useage charges though. There are so many places to check email and do all that stuff, it would be a waste of money.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,616 Times in 1,767 Posts

1. Claro is cheapest and easiest.

2. Use WiFi only, ost places have Wi-Fi these days. No int data charges

Thanks

Thanks guys! Ill bring both with me.

My Iphone comes in handy making calls via Skype thru WIFI. I can turn off the phone so I don't get roaming charges. Then I just use WIFI to connect to Skype and my my calls. I've also got my own Skype number and as long as Im near WIFi I can receive a call with minimal charges. Would be nice however, to just use the mini-SIM cards and drop it my my unlocked Iphone 4.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SlickMonkey For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrMagnum View Post
    Great post.

I dont know if its at &t or verizon that has the world phone but I have seen someone from the states who used his phone in the DR just as he would use it back home. When I asked him how he is able to do that he told me he had a world phone and it was a part of this plan or special phone. Thats as far as I went with that.

Its definitely not worth getting killed with the international useage charges though. There are so many places to check email and do all that stuff, it would be a waste of money.
    I have a Verizon phone, and could make and recieve calls in the DR, but was very very expensive. The thunderbolt is not considered a global phone, so it is constantly roaming. I recieved texts also but noticed that texting back was very unreliable.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I wonder if anyone could solve my problem that I couldn't figure out the last minute before I left for the DR.

I have a DR phone number a.nd a burner prepaid plan from ATT.

I did not want to forward my phone calls from my main phone, since I did not want to talk to customers while on vacation, however wanted to give my burner att number to selected people, and have that number forwarded to my DR number.

ATT does not forward internationally on the GO program at least

I then tried to forward my calls from my US phone, to the DR, but realized that Verizon does not allow this as well

For future reference, what is the best way to forward calls, and without penalizing the person calling me with international minutes.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BorisDaBulletDodger View Post
    I wonder if anyone could solve my problem that I couldn't figure out the last minute before I left for the DR.

I have a DR phone number a.nd a burner prepaid plan from ATT.

I did not want to forward my phone calls from my main phone, since I did not want to talk to customers while on vacation, however wanted to give my burner att number to selected people, and have that number forwarded to my DR number.

ATT does not forward internationally on the GO program at least

I then tried to forward my calls from my US phone, to the DR, but realized that Verizon does not allow this as well

For future reference, what is the best way to forward calls, and without penalizing the person calling me with international minutes.
    There is a thread I was reading about how you can use your american phone using the wifi feature on it and using the wifi signal of for example your hotel. They say its free of all those crazy charges. I'm not sure how to do it but its definitely worth looking into because it seems you wouldn't need a fancy phone if that's the case.

I say that cuz u could use ur smart phone from the states and have a backup phone just in case u can't get wifi in a spot or somethin like that. Id link u but I'm mobile

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrMagnum View Post
    There is a thread I was reading about how you can use your american phone using the wifi feature on it and using the wifi signal of for example your hotel. They say its free of all those crazy charges. I'm not sure how to do it but its definitely worth looking into because it seems you wouldn't need a fancy phone if that's the case.

I say that cuz u could use ur smart phone from the states and have a backup phone just in case u can't get wifi in a spot or somethin like that. Id link u but I'm mobile
    I read that thread, but if I am not near a wifi connection I cannot recieve calls, I would like to be able to pick up calls anywhere, so I need some kind of call forwarding.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information