Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: good guides?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,364 Times in 78,283 Posts

Re: good guides?

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    What is the matter with all you guys? Have you learned nothing from ISOC?

Any local who tries to earn a living as a guide to mongers in Sosúa is very likely to be total piece of shit. If he can speak English well he probably learned it in Rykers.

The best that can happen is that he sponges off you, cramps your style, and you will have a helluva job shaking him off, this trip and any future trip you will make. It will be like having dogshit on your shoe for the whole of your vacation.

The worst that can happen is that he will set you up to be robbed or for some scam which will cost you plenty.

These guys can do nothing for you that you cannot do for yourself. If you are total newbie there are loads of mongers hanging at the New Garden, Rocky's, Passions, Black Box and other popular spots who can get you started.

This does not apply to Robert13212 who is American and totally reliable, but if you ask for his help at least pay his drinks and motoconcho or gas expenses if any are incurred.

Someone wrote of "trusted" Dominicans. If you trust any male Dominican who does not have a regular job in Sosúa you are an idiot. The town attracts scum from across the DR because so many dumbass gringo "marks" are there. Why are you falling over yourselves to be one of them?

I am glad to see you vouch for Robert

I was going to suggest that maybe he contact you, but contacting Robert would be fine.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kennilingus View Post
    In my 1st few trips to the DR I thought I knew a couple of guys who were cool/trustworthy ... after my 10th trip there not so much ...

Here is a complete list of Dominicans I firmly believe to be cool/trusted:

-
    -
    -

-
    -
    -
    -
    End of list

While I haven't bothered to get to know many .... My cool/trusted ex-pat list in Sosua is a copy of the above.

I said Sosua ... there are 2 from this board in POP and 1 in SDQ who would make my list, but none in Sosua ... I have met some Ex-pats who are equal to or worse than their Dominican counterparts!

I had two moto guys that were trust worthy and never asked for anything more than I gave them. At least they came with the mode of transportation.-

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,366 Times in 408 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    Are you saying per day or in total?
    That price is supposed to be for the whole 6 days. lol some guy on here told me that was what he payed one dude for his whole week stay. ... so i was basing my prices on what he told me. EC told me that is a bit on the cheap side so now i don't know. That seemed like a fair price since the person would be showing me around for only an hour or two.

longbeach gave me a suggestion that i think might be my solution. I did not plan on going to passions or cmp my whole trip since the girl i was looking forward to grudge fucking (ryatt style) got fired. But i think i will go there the first night and take out one of the girls out and have them show me around. I think the likelihood of them scamming me would be less but if any of them tried that shit i would take her back pronto and get my refund.

I don't mind hanging with older dudes i just didn't think any of them would be around when i was traveling. only a few guys said they were going to be there in the roll call post and i think all of them are newbies like me.

i appreciate everyones help so far and i will try to get a report up after i come back to show my appreciation.

on a sidenote anyone know how to change the countdown? my dates on there are wrong. i don't leave until next week

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dmoney For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney View Post
    That price is supposed to be for the whole 6 days. lol some guy on here told me that was what he payed one dude for his whole week stay. ... so i was basing my prices on what he told me. EC told me that is a bit on the cheap side so now i don't know. That seemed like a fair price since the person would be showing me around for only an hour or two.

on a sidenote anyone know how to change the countdown? my dates on there are wrong. i don't leave until next week

$40 for 6 days will end badly.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

But i think i will go there the first night and take out one of the girls out and have them show me around. I think the likelihood of them scamming me would be less but if any of them tried that shit i would take her back pronto and get my refund.
    You are a very confused man. You want to pay a puta at Passions inflated prices to act as your town guide?

Let me try one more time. Unless you are 8 years old or a retard you do not need a paid guide. Everything in Sosúa is within walking distance and you will find plenty of mongers at the above mentioned places to point you to anywhere you want to go, probably even accompany you there if you asked politely and buy them a drink. Most of us like to show newbies around, partly because we are nice guys, but probably also because it boosts our ego to know more than someone else. This last must be why Robert is so helpful to visitors (and he really is), because he has self-esteem problems and needs his ego boosting more than most of us.

Any local who does anything for you will have their own agenda. If it is just a simple tip (propina) you will get off light.

If you get a puta to show you around you will minimise your chances of meeting other chicas and she will only show you places, and introduce you to people, where she thinks she can benefit. If you get some piece-of-shit male to show you around you will minimise your chances of meeting half-decent chicas because they avoid these scum like the plague. You will only get to meet putas on the same gutter level as the guy and even they will increase their prices because Sr Piece-of-Shit will want his 50% afterwards, on top of anything he has bummed off you.

Simple tip, if anyone approaches you saying "Hello, my friend!" start walking purposefully in the other direction.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    You are a very confused man. You want to pay a puta at Passions inflated prices to act as your town guide?

Let me try one more time. Unless you are 8 years old or a retard you do not need a paid guide. Everything in Sosúa is within walking distance and you will find plenty of mongers at the above mentioned places to point you to anywhere you want to go, probably even accompany you there if you asked politely and buy them a drink. Most of us like to show newbies around, partly because we are nice guys, but probably also because it boosts our ego to know more than someone else. This last must be why Robert is so helpful to visitors (and he really is), because he has self-esteem problems and needs his ego boosting more than most of us.

Any local who does anything for you will have their own agenda. If it is just a simple tip (propina) you will get off light.

If you get a puta to show you around you will minimise your chances of meeting other chicas and she will only show you places, and introduce you to people, where she thinks she can benefit. If you get some piece-of-shit male to show you around you will minimise your chances of meeting half-decent chicas because they avoid these scum like the plague. You will only get to meet putas on the same gutter level as the guy and even they will increase their prices because Sr Piece-of-Shit will want his 50% afterwards, on top of anything he has bummed off you.

Simple tip, if anyone approaches you saying "Hello, my friend!" start walking purposefully in the other direction.

He needs to check into BlackBeards and stay there.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,501 Times in 8,028 Posts

Quick crash course on Sosua.

ErikS has a thread called take a walk thru Soua read it not much has changed in the 3 yrs since he put it up.

Pedro Clisante is the only strip there. One side is the Cuba Libre bar and the other is the beach.

Trust no dominicans!

Pick any bar yu feel comfortable in a take a seat, I personally like chillin on the beach during the day, Cubre libre in the afternoons and Rhumba, Merengue and Classicos at night.

I don't fuck with many ex-pats except for Hoseman and Corrado.
    Robert 326986d21 seems pretty popular recently.

40. Dollars for the week only works when you are paying by the hour.
    Anyone that tells you PAY ME WHAT YOU WANT wants you to pay the going rate or higher. They just don't want to seem like every other money grubbing Dominican, but they are just the same.

Salida-ing a Passions chick will cost you double your guide fee + food+drinks.

Sosua is very easy to navigate. But if you run into Ramon, he's cool to chill with in the bars, buy him drinks and throw him a few bucks. He'll. Bring you bitches all night. He introduced me personally to 30 girls ONE night. I didn't need him, but it was cool meeting the different chicks.

You can't drop my name to him because he doesn't know my name, he just calls me Boss.
    I've offended you.....goood

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to eastcoastallstar For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

There is one guy there, he young in his 20,s medium brown skin with missing teeth. STAY AWAY from him, he's a loser and a thief. He's always trying help someone then vics them as soon as the opportunity opens up.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eastcoastallstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,088 Times in 2,301 Posts

i like rolling solo. i am just looking for someone to show me around for maybe an hour or two each day (or until i get the hang of things). mostly need them to show me the less hardcore girls and maybe get me lower prices with them. nothing too special. don't really want them to hang with me all day long just for when i want to go hunting.

i can do stuff on my own but its just sort of backup plan for me and i think it would be cool to have someone to roll with my first night there so i can learn how things work there first hand.

thanks for your help EC i will try and find Roman if i can.

anyone else got any other recommendations and what price is fair for what i am looking for?
    If thats what you want, you are doing the exact opposite of what you should be doing to attain it. The hustlers will only know the hard core and you will increase your price because you are paying a commission. You dont need a tour guide, Sosua is only one street, and you will meet many like minded guys. Start at New Garden and have a drink at the bar, and go from there. The less you know Spanish the better, the chicas cant hustle you, because you cant understand them. Ficky, ficky is all you need to know. Leave the DR hustlers alone, they are nothing but trouble and they are looking to get into your pockets. Read both of Weylands posts, he was spot on.
    My 1st mongering trip i was traveling solo, and I didnt speak the language. I used to sit at this restaurant alone, and I met this local, he used to sit with me and chat. Normally, I would have dismissed him, but I grew tired of hearing Portuguese and wanted to hear English. This guy always wanted me to come back to his apt, so he could get me girls. Two reasons , I had a problem with that, one the guy only had two teeth in his mouth, and two I wasnt stupid. Whenever the girls would show up, and I would walk over to the beach with them the guy would disappear.
    I didnt take me long to figure out, he wanted to get me in his neighborhood, so him and his friends could rob me and gut me like a fish. I am glad I wasnt looking for any tour guides. Try not to be a statistic, and whatever you do, do not go to anyones apt, stick to your turf, (your hotel).

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TONYTNT40 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,734 Times in 3,148 Posts

Sosua could use official tourism guide representatives. In santo domingo, and boca chica there are people certified for tourism. In the zona colonial i see them all the time. I talked to a guide one day to show me some of the hotels around the area and he showed me a ton of aparta-hotels, and hostels that you cant find on the internet or would even know are there. (in Boca chica they basically just gave hustlers a license to hustle so they arent a great example.)

there is a market for this type of industry, and all dominicans are not scumbags. i agree most of the street people you will meet are just that street people. but that applies to any country, and any city/town.

DMoney is just a little nervous and wants to be prepared for his 1st trip. I recommended a chica whether it be passions, CMP, or hotel chicas. Why not have a hot chic show you around then you fuck her afterwards.

If you are upfront about what you want, tell her you want to fuck her, show you the disco, and a good place to eat but your also looking for other chicas to fuck; everything will be clear.

im pretty sure all his plans will go out the window the second he gets to his hotel, takes a shower, has his 1st presidente and sees the 1st chica he is going to fuck. All the guide BS will be out the door.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BigLongBeach For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigLongBeach View Post
    Sosua could use official tourism guide representatives. In santo domingo, and boca chica there are people certified for tourism. In the zona colonial i see them all the time. I talked to a guide one day to show me some of the hotels around the area and he showed me a ton of aparta-hotels, and hostels that you cant find on the internet or would even know are there. (in Boca chica they basically just gave hustlers a license to hustle so they arent a great example.)

The Capital is 100 times the size of Sosua.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastallstar View Post
    Anyone that tells you PAY ME WHAT YOU WANT wants you to pay the going rate or higher.
    Another excellent point which I forgot to make.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,734 Times in 3,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    The Capital is 100 times the size of Sosua.
    These guys are in the zona colonial which isnt that much bigger than sosua. But i understand your point. The resources a tourism program are bigger in Santo domingo than in sosua

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigLongBeach For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

These guys are in the zona colonial which isnt that much bigger than sosua. But i understand your point. The resources a tourism program are bigger in Santo domingo than in sosua

But they come from hotels all over the city to that one area. You need these guys.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

... all dominicans are not scumbags.
    Of course not. There are many honest and generous Dominicans. But we are specifically talking about unemployed males in Sosúa. If you invite one of those to get their hooks into you, your odds are not good.

There are, in my opinion, only two groups of visitors who should hang with those guys.

1) Mongers who come from some horrendous ghetto or project, have spent most of their lives on the criminal fringe and may be petty criminals themselves. They may actually feel uncomfortable being with decent people and seek out their own kind once they arrive in the DR. I am sure no ISOC members fall into this category.

2) Guys with low self-esteem. May have some crap job or homelife in their own country and for a few days want to live the fantasy of the rich First World high-roller. They get off on impressing what they consider to be the inferior "natives" of the DR by flashing the cash. They are in the same general category as the idiots who "make it rain" in the discos or who try to impress by buying Grey Goose or Hennessey for putas who actually can't tell the difference between Red Bull and a glass of piss.

Regretably we have had a few in this category on ISOC and may still have for all I know. Of course your "guides" will flatter these guys, laugh at their antics, and tell them they are the greatest thing to hit the country since Columbus. But behind their backs decent Dominicans are disgusted by them while the lowlife are laughing at them and waiting for the right moment to stick the knife in (not literally, although I wouldn't necessarily rule out that possibility).

If you think you fall into one of those categories, go ahead and hire a gaggle of guides. But I am still waiting for an answer to my question. What could a local guide do for you that you cannot do for yourself cheaper and more safely?

29. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,141 Times in 673 Posts

Laughing Re: good guides?

Read my trip report you will see what i paid but here is a good guy to use

He is dominican and speaks good english

Miguel Hernandez 809-304-5105 all i ask is you say your friend BIG MIKE from NY recommended you to him so he takes care of me when i go down there.

Thanks hope this helps everyone out.
    Mirage6 "The Producer"

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mirage6 View Post
    Read my trip report you will see what i paid but here is a good guy to use

He is dominican and speaks good english

Where did he learn, New York?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Forget the guides!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck em all, make mistakes and learn from them.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eastcoastallstar For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...ighlight=erikS

and once you get into town, send a message to the board and maybe meet up with other members.

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eastcoastallstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,333 Times in 1,160 Posts

I agree wholeheartedly with both Weyland and Eastcoast ... only one thing I would like to add.

Familiarity breeds contempt!

If you are hell-bent on using the services of these "guides" after reading the excellent advise above, do not let your guide, (regular taxi driver, puta, or even an expat you meet in Sosua) know too much about you ... once they feel comfortable that they "know" you, and they see you as an equal, or (god forbid) less than ... the games and/or rip off will begin ... guaranteed!

Do not try to be "One of the boys" with a Dominican! Think it's a fluke that the Guide EC spoke of called him boss, and has no idea what his name is? NOT!

Was EC ever Ramon's equal, or lesser? Even for a moment? You can bet he wasn't!

I've seen guys sit down over a beer with a total stranger (Dominican and ExPats) and give them everything but their pin number for their bank card ... don't be that guy ... instant MARK! ... IMHO if you let strangers without scruples think you are equal or (heaven forbid) inferior ... the GAME IS ON, and if you already let it get this far ... you gonna lose!
    You are not special!

She is not different than the others!

37. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kennilingus For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information