Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Standing your ground

Thanks

Re: Standing your ground

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Puerto Plata. Oh, and BTW, I don't drink a beer. I drink BEERS!!
    You got it, me neither, I'll buy you however many you want to drink for a while then. I am flying into Santiago on the 27th, gonna spend a couple or 3 days there unless I get bored. Then probably going to head to Blackbeards for a couple of days just because I have never been there, then to Sosua. At some time and point I have to get back to Santiago by the 12th for my flight back to the states. This is my pre-divorce bring "Beavis back to life" tour in which I am also going to establish the DR as where I will live for a while. I would guess right now my residency will be Matum for a couple of nights, Blackbeards, for a couple then Rockys. I don't have any reservations and will deal with it accordingly.

Nonetheless like I said the beers are on me once we cross paths. Still have no idea where I will rent a place to live yet, that's sort of the reason for the trip. I get to end this by giving away my house and writing a big check to my soon to be ex. With this I am going to do it right and try to make one that is talked about for years.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beavis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 2,554 Posts

Update

I'm going to keep my apartment, at least for as long as the owner allows me to rent. He did mention during my last trip that his daughter was considering moving to the area to teach, so my renting option might not last much longer. BUT, in spite of all the BS, I'll continue to travel to PP. I just have the feeling that my time as a part-time resident is coming to an end, and the transition back to a tourist is lurking somewhere around the corner.

P.S.
    If I can remember, I'll keep this updated as things progress. There might be some interesting information for others who might be thinking about buying versus renting.
    A couple of months ago I returned and, after speaking to the landlord, was informed that, even if his daughter came to teach, she would stay in his guest bedroom and there would be no problem with me continuing to stay in the apartment. Good news for me.

I came for a quick trip from Oct. 1-5, and then needed to return to the States to handle some business. I returned to POP on Oct. 13 for what I expected to be another quick trip and a return to the States on October 16.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I went to the Impuestos Internos (which is catty corner and sits southeast to the Parque Central in downtown Puerto Plata) to pay my taxes. This being the DR, it was not as easy as I had hoped it would be.

The potential buyers of my house wanted some certificate which showed I had paid the taxes on my house. When I purchased it 6 years ago I had been told that I would be excluded from paying taxes (the closing attorney's comment), and even when the law changed a few years ago I was informed that all houses purchased prior to that time would be grandfathered in and would continue to be excluded from taxes. (Be careful of advice that you receive even from some of the gringo expats.) Well, it was not true. I owed 3 years back taxes. Um, oh shit. I was informed of this back in early July when I was here, but I was hoping at that time that there might be some assistance by way of a reduction, and I needed to return to the states then so I didn't have the opportunity to pay then.

Last Friday I stopped in to the Impuesto Internos and expected that I would pay, obtain my certificate, and be on my way. Well, I was sent from one desk to another and, thankfully, I had a Dominican buddy with me, as their was no way I would have understood the level of technical Spanish that was being spoken. To make a long story short, it took all day. I was run around in circles for some time cause no one knew where my paperwork was, but I was told at some point that my taxes for all 3 years would only be 39k pesos (there are some good things about this country) but that I was going to receive a 40% discount. Oh hell, great, I thought, this is my lucky day. After calculating the discount, the woman told me my final price would be 33k and some change. I admit I'm not a mathematical genius but, after doing a quick calculation, I realized that that was nowhere near a 40% discount.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I pondered for a moment whether or not I should point out her 40% "discount" inaccuracy, or run the risk of making her feel insulted and find myself paying the full 39k. I kept my mouth shut and went with the 33k instead. After informing her I would like to pay the full amount she informed me that the full amount was for the '08, '09, and '10 tax period, and that there was an additional 4k+ to be paid for the '11 timeframe. WTF. I paid up, glad to get that off my back, and was told to come back in a couple of hours for the certificate as, since I had paid un full, they were going to call the Santo Domingo office and have the document expedited.

I killed time around the Parque Central area grabbing a bite to eat and having a couple of cold ones. About 3 o'clock I returned and, once again, sat around for a bit waiting for a response. After about a half hour I was told I would need to return in 2 days. By this time I was at my breaking point and wanted to shout out, "you stupid mother*****", but thought better and decided to chalk it up to being typical practice here in this country and just move on.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I didn't have the certificate and wouldn't get it for another two days (we'll see) but I was now going to have to reschedule my return flight to the US, but I can't say I am mad. It gives me a bit more time here, though I'm sure the boss isn't going to be too happy.

I contacted the potential homebuyers and informed them of the circumstances and told them I did have the receipts showing I had paid the taxes and would be happy to give them copies.

Upon arriving to the house I presented them with the copies and we talked for a bit. Their rental agreement is due to expire at the end of this month and I asked them if they would like to extend it another 3 months to enable them to come up with the full purchase amount, but that that was pretty much all I could do as them continuing to rent was, of course, interfering with my ability to market and sell my house. I also mentioned that it would be helpful if they could provide a deposit to allow me to hold off on putting the house on the market.

The husband asked me what amount I would consider and, when I paused for just a second, asked if 3 million pesos would be okay. Apparently they have a portion of the purchase amount, just not the full amount just yet. I thought hell yeah, but responded with an "ok, that sounds good."

I still had some keys to the house safe that I had forgotten to give to them so I told them I'd run to my apartment and get them and return. When I returned he informed me that he and his wife had spoken and decided that since I had been kind enought to work with them on purchasing the house they had decided to transfer the 3 million pesos to my US account (they had been using it to pay their rent) this Monday. Uh, sure, I can live with that.

So, at this point, that is where things stand. I'll have 3 mil pesos now, and it buys them more time to come up with the balance. But, as always, this is the DR, and things don't always turn out as we hope. I'll wait a few days to see if the money actually transfers and just take it from there.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

I pondered for a moment whether or not I should point out her 40% "discount" inaccuracy, or run the risk of making her feel insulted and find myself paying the full 39k. I kept my mouth shut and went with the 33k instead. After informing her I would like to pay the full amount she informed me that the full amount was for the '08, '09, and '10 tax period, and that there was an additional 4k+ to be paid for the '11 timeframe. WTF. I paid up, glad to get that off my back, and was told to come back in a couple of hours for the certificate as, since I had paid un full, they were going to call the Santo Domingo office and have the document expedited.

I killed time around the Parque Central area grabbing a bite to eat and having a couple of cold ones. About 3 o'clock I returned and, once again, sat around for a bit waiting for a response. After about a half hour I was told I would need to return in 2 days. By this time I was at my breaking point and wanted to shout out, "you stupid mother*****", but thought better and decided to chalk it up to being typical practice here in this country and just move on.

Man I respect you because you have much more patience and restraints than I. If it was me, after I had already paid, I would have gone off.

I remember a couple of weeks ago, when I was waiting for the registration documents and stickers for the car, I had paid and was told to come back at such and such a time, and I did only to find delays with the paperwork etc. I was actually with my Dominican mechanic, mostly because he speaks some english and I didn't want to miss anything that was being said, although I can understand spanish like you, when things get too technical or it is spoken to fast, I mis-interpret some things, and while that is fine while dealing with putas, it is not good when dealing with official documents etc.

So I am sitting there listening to the conversation involving my mechanic and the people, I ask a question or two and he tells me what is being said in response, and finally I just lost it, I started cursing out everybody, it's amazing how good my spanish becomes when I get really agitated ; I knew I was really on a roll when I noticed that the mechanic that I had brought, wasn't saying anything, he was just sitting there kind of with his mouth open in amazement. Finally I kind of figured that I may have gone a bit too far, and wanted to calm down the situation, so I apologized a bit, and said I lost it only because of the bullshit, that was coming my way, explaining to them that I had done everything that was required as told to me, and I now needed them to do their part as well, that it was only fair.

Make a long story short, I got all the needed documents and stickers the next day.
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

I see none of you guys have yet to realize that you're barking up the wrong tree.

The warm body that you deal with in any govt. office, is just that, a warm body.

They don't have any power or authority to change or resolve anything. Their only function in life is to do what they're told, and listen to verbal abuse from customers that don't understand they're not authorized to do anything else.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    and finally I just lost it, I started cursing out everybody,

Trust me, I understand chief, cause I was on the verge. But, I'm a firm believer that you don't piss of the waiter/waitress before they bring you your food.

Bottom line is I need those documents and I need them before I return to the states. O have already extended this trip and I don't want to have to make another return trip here just to pick them up. So, yeah, I HAD to exercise some discipline and restraint.
    Last edited by Dick Dawson; 10-18-2011 at 02:45 AM. Reason: quote fix

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    I see none of you guys have yet to realize that you're barking up the wrong tree.

The warm body that you deal with in any govt. office, is just that, a warm body.

They don't have any power or authority to change or resolve anything. Their only function in life is to do what they're told, and listen to verbal abuse from customers that don't understand they're not authorized to do anything else.
    I get your point, but when that warm body is the only tree you've got to bark up, then what? But, I'm always open to suggestions.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

I get your point, but when that warm body is the only tree you've got to bark up, then what? But, I'm always open to suggestions.
    You get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. I've found that an outgoing personality with puppy eyes works wonders.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. I've found that an outgoing personality with puppy eyes works wonders.
    You know I can play the puppy eyes too, have you looked deep into my eyes lately

But since I was dealing with a dude, my puppy eyes didn't work, so had to go a little gangster on his ass, don't like to do it too often, but if it needs to be done, I can do it, in my case it worked, wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but if you were in my situation, you probably would have forgotten about the puppy dog eyes as well, it was time to let the motherfucker know, I was done with the Bullshit, sometimes that works as well.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Of course. After all, I did say that I bit my tongue.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Jeez. these F***** people don't quit

When the buyers informed me that they'd be happy to deposit the 3 million pesos into my account last Monday I thought it odd that they didn't ask for some type of Agreement or Contract to formalize the transfer of monies or to acknowledge what it was for but, hey, I'm not going to turn down almost 80k. Keeping in mind that this is the DR and most things never go smoothly, they called me Monday afternoon to say they needed a contract before transferring the money.

Tuesday morning I went to see an attorney (he's actually a pretty knowledgeable guy, who also spoke a fair amount of English) and by later that afternoon the contract was finished. Prior to hiring him I asked him what the cost of the contract would be and he told me 1% of the total amount. Hmm, ok, a quick calculation and we're talking roughly $800.00. So, after finalizing the contract and being told by the buyers they would transfer the money later that afternoon, I went back to the apartment with the attorney and Dominican buddy to get the money to pay the attorney, the attorney says he's going to make me a deal. (ANYTIME someone in the DR says they're going to make a deal with you, watch yourself.)

His offer to me was that I could pay him 62,900 pesos now for the whole deal (the whole deal including handling the final closing). I laughed. It's a habit I've developed when dealing with Dominicans. I asked him why in hell would I pay him for work that he had not yet done, and what would happen if I did pay him now and he died tomorrow? Then he started with, "well you can pay........" I said no, I'll pay you what I OWE you now for the work that you've done now, and no more. He backed off pretty quickly and said he would accept what is owed to him now.

In this country you will be tested on an almost daily basis, from the guy on the street to the doctors and attorneys at the higher levels of society. Damned near everyone is prepared to separate you from more money than you owe. Of course, you pretty much expect it from the so-called lower dregs of society, but not so much the professional class. BUT, when it comes to money, treat 'em all the same.

Anyhow, the 3 million pesos has been transferred and now sits safely in my bank account. The buyers have said they should be able to pay off the balance within the next 3 months. Assuming that all works out, that just gets the weight of the house off my shoulders and simplifies my time there, and away from there. Now, I just need to get rid of the moto, which will leave me with my pasola, Jeep, and my apartment, and I'm good. I'll start to feel like I can go back to being a bit more of a tourist and vacationing more when I'm there, than spending more time doing the homeowner shit..

26. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Glad to hear that it all seems to be working out for you, continued good luck.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,501 Times in 8,028 Posts

Re: Jeez. these F***** people don't quit

Good for you!

When the buyers informed me that they'd be happy to deposit the 3 million pesos into my account last Monday I thought it odd that they didn't ask for some type of Agreement or Contract to formalize the transfer of monies or to acknowledge what it was for but, hey, I'm not going to turn down almost 80k. Keeping in mind that this is the DR and most things never go smoothly, they called me Monday afternoon to say they needed a contract before transferring the money.

Tuesday morning I went to see an attorney (he's actually a pretty knowledgeable guy, who also spoke a fair amount of English) and by later that afternoon the contract was finished. Prior to hiring him I asked him what the cost of the contract would be and he told me 1% of the total amount. Hmm, ok, a quick calculation and we're talking roughly $800.00. So, after finalizing the contract and being told by the buyers they would transfer the money later that afternoon, I went back to the apartment with the attorney and Dominican buddy to get the money to pay the attorney, the attorney says he's going to make me a deal. (ANYTIME someone in the DR says they're going to make a deal with you, watch yourself.)

His offer to me was that I could pay him 62,900 pesos now for the whole deal (the whole deal including handling the final closing). I laughed. It's a habit I've developed when dealing with Dominicans. I asked him why in hell would I pay him for work that he had not yet done, and what would happen if I did pay him now and he died tomorrow? Then he started with, "well you can pay........" I said no, I'll pay you what I OWE you now for the work that you've done now, and no more. He backed off pretty quickly and said he would accept what is owed to him now.

In this country you will be tested on an almost daily basis, from the guy on the street to the doctors and attorneys at the higher levels of society. Damned near everyone is prepared to separate you from more money than you owe. Of course, you pretty much expect it from the so-called lower dregs of society, but not so much the professional class. BUT, when it comes to money, treat 'em all the same.

Anyhow, the 3 million pesos has been transferred and now sits safely in my bank account. The buyers have said they should be able to pay off the balance within the next 3 months. Assuming that all works out, that just gets the weight of the house off my shoulders and simplifies my time there, and away from there. Now, I just need to get rid of the moto, which will leave me with my pasola, Jeep, and my apartment, and I'm good. I'll start to feel like I can go back to being a bit more of a tourist and vacationing more when I'm there, than spending more time doing the homeowner shit..
    I've offended you.....goood

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eastcoastallstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Guys, thank you. I have to admit it does feel good to have accomplished this much. Another 75k to go and I'm done. It has helped that I'm dealing with some pretty good people. They are a family from Austria who, it seems, have struggled a bit in their time in the DR in dealing with the typical bullshit that I have occasionally mentioned on the board.

Interestingly, after we settled the contract, they invited me to the house the night before I had to return to the states for a few beers and something to eat. I accepted but, later, reconsidered, and then reconsidered yet again. I'm glad I did. At first I figured we didn't have alot in common and there was no sense in wasting our time "hanging out". But I had committed, and I'm the type of guy who makes every effort to keep to my word.

I figured I'd stop by for a couple of hours and then make my excuses for needing to prepare for my return to the states. We sat and drank, and found that we actually had much more in common as far as our time and experiences in the DR, as well as life in general. I finally left at 1:30am, and think I may have made a couple of new friends there who I will stop in to visit on each trip.

I'll do a final update on the house's closing when it happens and hope that whatever information I can provide will be helpful to anyone else who might contemplate a similar thing in the future.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Oh, one last thing that might be interesting to some readers.

When I initially bought the house, the previous owner had a Haitian watchman (Ramon) who lived in a shack across the street and pas paid $100.00 a month and an occasional meal. I told him I'd pay him $125.00 a month as I would not be there full time and, even if I was, I didn't cook, so he was certainly not going to be getting any meals from me. After a couple of years or so he died unexpectedly from a brain hemorrhage. Fortunately, I happened to be there at the time and, after paying for his burial (yeah, I can be thoughtful at times) I immediately replaced him.

I told the new watchman (Lima) that I would pay him $150.00 a month. Things were fine for the next 3 years with the occasional hiccup. Those hiccups being tools or equipment that somehow ended up broken and needing to be replaced; or the periodic attempts by Lima to squeeze more money out of me for one thing or another. As an example, Lima once came to me with his cell in his hand informing me that it was broken and an expectant look on his face. I had my Dominican buddy explain to him that he had somehow found a way to buy the one he had in his hand and I was sure he'd find a way to replace it, but that I had no obligation to buy him another. He was obviously disappointed but, there in the DR, you have to be firm or, before you know it, you'll be coming out of your pocket every day for one thing or another.

A couple of months ago Lima came to me and said he wanted to quit and return to Haiti. The buyers were living in the house so I figured having someone living there and able to keep an eye on the house, I paid him 3 months separation (or severance, as we call it in the states) and went on my way.

When I returned on October 13 I stopped by the house and noticed Lima and his "family" were still parked across the street at the shack. Ok, so much for going back to Haiti, which, btw, was his excuse for wanting 3 months salary as separation. I noticed he was sitting in a plastic chair with a medical mask on his face. I joked with him about it, assuming that maybe he considered himself too important now to breathe in the dust that permeates the area on occasion. I did what I had to do and left the house.

On another return to the house Lima approached my Dominican buddy while I was in the house and told him that because he had worked for me in excess of a year, I owed him a year's separation as opposed to the 3 months he had received. I turned to look at Lima and thought "you dirty son of a bitch'. I also noticed something else for the first time. My man had lost alot of weight, I mean he looked GAUNT. It was obvious he was real sick. From what, I don't know and I wouldn't want to speculate, but I was going to keep my distance. I told DB to tell him to go see a lawyer as I had followed the law with respect to paying him his separation, and I walked away.

The moral to the story? STAND YOUR GROUND!

I had been good to this guy, relatively speaking. I had paid him in excess of what the other watchman in the area were being paid. When he had a daughter I took clothes down every few months for her like she was my own. Outside of his salary, I'd pass him 500 pesos here and there so that he could eat. And, in the end, he still tried to take advantage of me and cheat me.

For those of you who might be considering buying/moving/living there, these are the types of things you will always have to deal with. Put your foot down immediately or they will be a constant thorn in your side.

Hope this helps.

34. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information