Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metro bus From SDQ to Sosua?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,844 Times in 377 Posts

Metro bus From SDQ to Sosua?

Does anyone have any insight on taking the metro bus from SDQ to sosua? for instance, how to i get to the metro/caribe, bus station when i get through customs. and also how do i know which bus is going to sosua so i dont get on the wrong one. I know this probably sounds like some silly basic questions but understand i have never done this before so i kind of got the pre incident jitters about this. i just wanna make sure that i have a little foresight on what to do prior to arrival so im not scatter brained and running like a wild man trying to figure everything out at the last minute. thanks for any info you may have.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonew1 For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Re: Metro bus From SDQ to Sosua?

Take a cab from the airport to Metro. 1300 pesos. Buy your ticket. The buses are numbered. Now, the important thing is, wait by the damn thing until they open the doors! I didn't do that and the bus filled up and they said I had to wait for the next one. I said to hell with it and took a cab.

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,088 Times in 2,301 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonew View Post
    Does anyone have any insight on taking the metro bus from SDQ to sosua? for instance, how to i get to the metro/caribe, bus station when i get through customs. and also how do i know which bus is going to sosua so i dont get on the wrong one. I know this probably sounds like some silly basic questions but understand i have never done this before so i kind of got the pre incident jitters about this. i just wanna make sure that i have a little foresight on what to do prior to arrival so im not scatter brained and running like a wild man trying to figure everything out at the last minute. thanks for any info you may have.
    Take a taxi to the bus terminal. It depends on what time you arrive, I know Metro has a bus that leaves at 11am, but Caribe Tours have that goes to Sosua every hour. They wont have any signs, you just have to ask the bus driver if he's going to Sosua.

Did you get a chance to hit Leanny yet?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TONYTNT40 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks and no I sure havent If anyone know any contact info or her whereabouts I certainly would like to spend some time with her. ever since she hasent been working at passions i kinda gave up on finding her, i just still havent changed my avitar.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonew1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks and no I sure havent If anyone know any contact info or her whereabouts I certainly would like to spend some time with her. ever since she hasent been working at passions i kinda gave up on finding her, i just still havent changed my avitar.
    Rule number one of ISOC, you cant have an avatar of a chica, you havent fucked yet. Lol, just kidding. I have her cell #, hi5 and MSN info, will pm it to you later.
    Kind of backed up with work because I just got home Tuesday.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TONYTNT40 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTNT40 View Post
    Rule number one of ISOC, you cant have an avatar of a chica, you havent fucked yet. Lol, just kidding. I have her cell #, hi5 and MSN info, will pm it to you later.
    Kind of backed up with work because I just got home Tuesday.
    Yeah i just had her picture for .... how do you say...... "inspiration" lol... But yes that would be awsome I will def be looking forward to that contact info.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonew1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    Take a cab from the airport to Metro. 1300 pesos. Buy your ticket. The buses are numbered. Now, the important thing is, wait by the damn thing until they open the doors! I didn't do that and the bus filled up and they said I had to wait for the next one. I said to hell with it and took a cab.
    Trey you funny, you went from paying $10to $200, but you didnt give a fuck. Man I would love to have a few drinks with you and Nap.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TONYTNT40 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Trey you funny, you went from paying $10to $200, but you didnt give a fuck. Man I would love to have a few drinks with you and Nap.
    It was just under $150, but yeah. I was pissed. Smart choice on my part though, I was passed out for 2 hours in the cab. Prob would've been pick pock and I had all my vacation cash in my pocket.

Jonew, I was mistaken. Its 1300 pesos to Caribe. And its the bays that are numbered, not the bus.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

1300 pesos seems like an awful lot for a taxi to the bus station

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonew1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

Well, I agree. And the price seems to go up every year. I remember when it was 700-800 pesos.

But the taxi mafia is pretty strong at SDQ. And to be honest, it's a bit of a drive to the bus station. It's in downtown Santo Domingo, and it's at least a 30 minute drive from the airport. And any taxi from any airport in the country is going to a little more expensive. Hell, a taxi from STI to Caribe tours will run you around 700-800 pesos, even though it's only a 10-15 minute ride.

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Take a cab from the airport to Metro. 1300 pesos. Buy your ticket. The buses are numbered. Now, the important thing is, wait by the damn thing until they open the doors! I didn't do that and the bus filled up and they said I had to wait for the next one.
    I have never ridden Metro, always Caribe. On Caribe they reserve places when you buy your tickets. Your ticket is printed with the time your bus leaves and no-one can take your place.

If Metro do the same, which seems likely, I am guessing you never actually had a place reserved on that particular bus anyway. Did you check the departure time on your ticket? Anyone know if Metro do use that system?

Caribe will let people with tickets for later buses board an earlier one if not all the reserved passengers turn up by the time the bus is due to leave. This may be one reason why passengers all throng round the door as soon as the bus pulls in, making it difficult for arriving passengers to get off. But the main reason Dominicans do this is that they are ill-mannered retards.

By the way, punctuality is usually very good, so dont assume they use Dominican time and think it is alright to turn up 15 minutes late.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Make sure to ask driver when giving ticket is this bus for Puerto Plata or Sosua, I took Caribe last December from Santo Domingo up to Sosus, sign said #1, I was waiting at #1 and it didnt seem right, not much Spanish being spoken. That bus was going to Haiti. No other signs were marked, I had to go bus to bus until I found the one to POP.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to dukes1963 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

They wont have any signs ...
    Not always true. Many Caribe buses have destination signs in the windshield.

I was waiting with the Thunderstars at Caribe Tours in Santiago to go to Sosúa. The bus was late and I went for a pee. Five seconds later, Thunderstar, who didn't speak a work of Spanish then, rushes in and shouts "The bus is leaving!". Sure enough a bus with "SOSUA" prominently displayed in the windshield was revving up to leave. We hammered on the door and they let us on. When the bus pulled out, I thought "That's funny, we have turned right onto the main road, not left, maybe there's a diversion." After another five minutes heading south-east I realised we were on the wrong bus.

Luckily Caribe have another terminal in the south of the city so we were able to change buses there. Had the same thing happened on Metro we would have ended up in SD or had to pay a large bribe to be let off. The bus drivers will not make unauthorized stops except for very good reasons (a large bribe or a colonel with a pistol).

I pointed at the windshield and asked why it still said SOSUA. The driver looked at the dumb gringo and replied "Because we started in Sosúa, of course!".

So like the guys have suggested, check with the driver last thing. Don't ask Thunderstar. He don't know shit.

27. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks

SD is about 25-30 miles from the airport, and the taxi's at the airport will charge you $40us to go to SD. So 1300 pesos is a good price.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TONYTNT40 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    I have never ridden Metro, always Caribe. On Caribe they reserve places when you buy your tickets. Your ticket is printed with the time your bus leaves and no-one can take your place.

If Metro do the same, which seems likely, I am guessing you never actually had a place reserved on that particular bus anyway. Did you check the departure time on your ticket? Anyone know if Metro do use that system?

Caribe will let people with tickets for later buses board an earlier one if not all the reserved passengers turn up by the time the bus is due to leave. This may be one reason why passengers all throng round the door as soon as the bus pulls in, making it difficult for arriving passengers to get off. But the main reason Dominicans do this is that they are ill-mannered retards.

By the way, punctuality is usually very good, so dont assume they use Dominican time and think it is alright to turn up 15 minutes late.
    My ticket said 5pm. I was there at 4:45. Bus was full. No reserved seat on the bus.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My ticket said 5pm. I was there at 4:45. Bus was full. No reserved seat on the bus.
    I apologise unreservedly for doubting your competence, That's a Presidente I owe you, or a fruit-juice if you are teetotal (I cannot remember). It could be during the interval of the string quartet recital.

So Metro do reserve places on specifically timed buses. In that case you should have made an issue of it as someone was occupying the seat reserved for you. I usually advocate turning the other cheek in the DR but not when it is going to cost me another US$150! That's four or five less haitianas I could enjoy!

I have seen exactly that scenario unfold. Tickets checked and someone thrown off the bus because they were occupying someone else's reserved seat.

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I dont think you need a seat. I was on my way to Sosua, and they picked up passengers in La Vega, and the stood until we got to Santiago.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to TONYTNT40 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    I apologise unreservedly for doubting your competence, That's a Presidente I owe you, or a fruit-juice if you are teetotal (I cannot remember). It could be during the interval of the string quartet recital.

It's official...Weyland's faculties are back to 100% capacity!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,226 Times in 3,260 Posts

I took Metro from SD to Sosua last week. It doesn't leave every hour, but you can check the schedule on line. The upside is that it doesn't make all the stops like Caribe so you will get there faster and it drops you off in Sosua.

If you are staying close to the main strip you can walk from the bus stop. I caught a taxi to El Rancho and the guy asked for 200 pesos. I said take this 100 and go. He looked at me for a moment and walked away.

I would have given him 50 pesos. if I had one.
    I'm a Payer not a Player

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DMV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,734 Times in 3,148 Posts

When i took a cab from SDQ-las americas to the jargua i paid 1200rd but they start at 1400rd just tell $35. The cabs have AC, you will ride in it alone, and they are safer than other taxi services.

(btw im assuming this is your 1st time in SDQ)
    Once you get past customs you will walk down the ramp, look to your right and you will see a Bon ice cream shop, a ATM, and the bathrooms. Refresh yourself in the bathroom, and get some pocket change at the atm so you can buy yourself presidentes, and pay for the bus. You should get a good exchange rate at the ATM which are run by the banks.

Once you are done you will continue down the ramp and now outside. once outside the buscones will be looking to offer you rentals, and cabs. Just veer towards your left and you should see the taxi podium there. If a soliciting cabby doesnt take you there its not part of the taxi service (mafia).

The ride is about 25-30minutes depending on traffic and weather (pray it doesnt rain). The cabby will probably stay along the coast the whole trip to avoid the 27 febrero traffic.

41. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigLongBeach For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information