Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metro bus From SDQ to Sosua?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Re: Metro bus From SDQ to Sosua?

Quote Originally Posted by DMV View Post
    The upside is that it doesn't make all the stops like Caribe so you will get there faster and it drops you off in Sosua ... If you are staying close to the main strip you can walk from the bus stop.
    The latter point is a time- and money-saving issue for guys in El Batéy who then don't have to catch a motoconcho or cab from Los Charamicos as you would with Caribe Tours.

But I don't get the "all the stops" bit. That shouldn't influence your decision. I have made the trip a few times on Caribe and it has only ever stopped at Imbert, which takes maybe 3 minutes as not many get on or off there. It doesn't even stop at the Parada de Navarrete which is strange as that is a busy junction. Of course it stops in Puerto Plata for quite a long time. I presume Metro does the same?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,088 Times in 2,301 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post

But I don't get the "all the stops" bit. That shouldn't influence your decision. I have made the trip a few times on Caribe and it has only ever stopped at Imbert, which takes maybe 3 minutes as not many get on or off there.
    I've been on a bus that stopped 3 times before we got to Santiago and that stop is 30 minutes. 5 stops can be a bit much.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TONYTNT40 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTNT40 View Post
    I've been on a bus that stopped 3 times before we got to Santiago and that stop is 30 minutes. % stops can be a bit much.
    If you are talking about Caribe Tours, I stand corrected (second time today). (Obviously Javilla Tours stop in every sizable village on the way). I must have been lucky every time I travelled.

I forgot, we once stopped in Altamira to let one person off.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,088 Times in 2,301 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    If you are talking about Caribe Tours, I stand corrected (second time today). (Obviously Javilla Tours stop in every sizable village on the way). I must have been lucky every time I travelled.

I forgot, we once stopped in Altamira to let one person off.
    Yes, it was Caribe Tours. I was traveling SD to Sosua, you may have been traveling a shorter distance. You wrong twice in one day? The mayans are right the world is coming to an end soon.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TONYTNT40 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,226 Times in 3,260 Posts

[QUOTE=TONYTNT40;973106 The mayans are right the world is coming to an end soon.[/QUOTE]

I'm a Payer not a Player

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DMV For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You wrong twice in one day?
    Nothing unusual in that. What is unusual is my admitting to it.

Yes, it was Caribe Tours. I was traveling SD to Sosúa, you may have been traveling a shorter distance.
    I believe all the Santiago to Sosúa Caribes buses come from SD. (Maybe not first and last thing). But I am frightened to assert anything now, my self-confidence is shot to hell!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Went in May--stayed in Santo Domingo first nite-took Metro bus on SUNDAY 11:00 am
    no problem smooth ride got to Sosua--3 1/2 houers doin it again in JULY

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to miggy99 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I don't know if anybody mentioned this but-----For a taxi try the move I read about --It worked for me --Go up to the arrival section at the airport up one flight--There was a guy with a Pitt. Pirate baseball cap on I offered him 20.00US for me and my buddy---he took it and us to our hotel in Santo Domingo. Caribe tours is closer then Metro so if they might want a little more. Wear a light coat--BUSES are cold Metro anyway but very comfortable and not alot of stops.---GOOD LUCK

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miggy99 For This Useful Post:

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,350 Times in 2,668 Posts

here is the link to the Metro schedule.

http://www.metroserviciosturisticos...._horarios.html

the Santo Domingo to Sosua bus leaves at 7AM, 11AM, and 4PM. The bus station is basically at the intersection of Churchill and 27 de Febrero, just a block or two south of the Acropolis mall, on Churchill, same side.

I took it last week, got to the bus station around 6:15 for the 7AM bus, the ticket windows weren't open yet. The place gradually filled up, and then everyone lined up in front of the ticket windows when they heard the staff making noise behind the shuttered windows . I bought my ticket, there was no reserved seat number.

Later I heard one woman saying she was on the waiting list for seats - you can reserve a seat online but I don't see a payment method so I assume if someone reserves a seat online and doesn't show up in time to pay for it, then they give the seat to somone who is already there.

The woman who was on the waiting list was on the bus when it pulled out of the station.

There is only 1 bus (at least at 7 AM) so you needn't worry that you are getting on the wrong one. That bus stops in Santiago, Puerto Plata, and Sosua. There is a guy to help you with your luggage, there are 3 compartments one for each city, tell him where you are going and he will put your luggage if you have any in the appropriate compartment.

I think the bus ticket was 375 pesos but am not sure. I tipped the luggage guy something like 20-25 pesos.
    Last edited by ezsmile; 06-30-2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: added more info

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,226 Times in 3,260 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ezsmile View Post
    I think the bus ticket was 375 pesos but am not sure. I tipped the luggage guy something like 20-25 pesos.
    You are correct, departed SD at 11am arrived in Sosua a little after 3pm

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DMV For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information