Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Short July 4 weekend

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Re: Short July 4 weekend

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    If that is the reason they would never let Robert sit there. And definitely no Brits!
    Im gonna guess Rosalie, and NOT Ad made up that rule, and can you guess what Rosalie is ??? why not ask, before assuming .
    a quick " Sweetheart, get us some seats and cold beers, we're from NY and were thirsty" with a smile on your face, like your above that nonsense , would have put the whole matter to rest with an apology.
    THEN if you still feel slighted, have only one beer, if you so choose, and tell them, Hey, look here. You made us feel unwelcome, were taking our MONEY over there... LET EM KNOW.
    I thought racism was only towards Haitians before ? or Illegals ?
    now were taking NY'rs with Fat Wallets too , who LOOK dominican ?
    I get confused.. Were gonna need a GRID soon..

Nice report Rubicon... report it the way you see it..
    thanks......

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,650 Times in 2,270 Posts

I've been through this shit at a couple of AI. Anti-Dominican discrimination in the Dominican Republic. The perception is that gringos are not going to want to mingle with the native Dominicans, so if the choice is between a gringo w/ dollars, and a loud-mouthed Dominican w/ pesos, the business is going to discriminate against the Dominican in the belief that the gringos w/ money don't want them there.

Like I said, this has happened to me only at AIs, and even then with petty shit, like refusing to give me a beach towel but giving a grinto 2-3 or serving a gringo at the bar before me even though I'd been waiting longer. Now, when I check in at an AI or when I deal with hotel employees, I almost always do so exclusively in English. #1, to demonstrate up front that I'm not some campesino and #2, to let them know that I pay in dollars, not pesos.

I was actually looking forward to meeting some guys at the Black Box in September. Unfortunately, now I know that I might have to humble some waitresses before I do so.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to uncle ruckus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 2,554 Posts

[QUOTE=uncle ruckus;977720]
    I've been through this shit at a couple of AI. Anti-Dominican discrimination in the Dominican Republic. The perception is that gringos are not going to want to mingle with the native Dominicans, so if the choice is between a gringo w/ dollars, and a loud-mouthed Dominican w/ pesos, the business is going to discriminate against the Dominican in the belief that the gringos w/ money don't want them there.
    I'm assuming that your inference to a "loud-mouthed Dominican" is just highlighting the perception that some Dominicans have of other Dominicans, as opposed to you making an apples to oranges comparison? Out of curiosity, do you have any idea what the reaction would be if we were comparing, say, a loud mouthed Dominican and a loud-mouthed gringo? I've seen quite a few loud-mouthed gringos in my travels, believe me.

Like I said, this has happened to me only at AIs, and even then with petty shit, like refusing to give me a beach towel but giving a grinto 2-3 or serving a gringo at the bar before me even though I'd been waiting longer.
    Been down that road also. Sometimes it can be really irritating, but I often shake my head and laugh.

Now, when I check in at an AI or when I deal with hotel employees, I almost always do so exclusively in English....... to let them know that I pay in dollars, not pesos.
    I've always preferred to pay in pesos as the exchange at places of business is less than what you will get at the exchange houses.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

I think JeG was on the right track thinking it had more to do with how much the customer in that chair will spend, rather than behaviour.

I can understand it happening inside AIs even if I disapprove. Even in England, pub managers/landlords have the right to ask people to leave without having to give a reason, though I don't think any of them would dare to do it for racial reasons these days. Such places are enclosed. But this is an open bar on a public beach. I think this guy is pushing his luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information