Thread: Playa Rincon & Samana City

Thanks
    Thanked 2,526 Times in 648 Posts

Playa Rincon & Samana City

On my last trip to the DR in March, I took the Mel Tours one day trip to "Bacardi Island," in Samana.

Yes, I know Bacardi Island is a little commercial, but it IS a very nice beach to visit.

On the way back from Bacardi Island, I had the tour bus drop me off in Samana City (Santa Barbara de Samana), where I spent 3 days. When I left, I took the public bus back to Sosua and it cost me $500 pesos.

Second day, I went to Las Terranas to check it out. Nice place but it seemed like it was a little pricey and touristy to me.

Third day, I went near Las Galleras to a beach that I would say that is the most beautiful beach I have have seen anywhere and is the nicest beach I've seen in the DR: La Playa Rincon. Bordered by mountains on its one end, its white sand beach extend for at least a couple of miles. QUIET(which is quite unusual for a Dominican beach) and peaceful, and only about 10 people on the beach when I was there, it reminded of Gilligan's Island and what it must have felt to be practically alone on a deserted tropical island.

Swimming there was an absolute delight with its parkling crystal clear blue water. It was like swimming in a swimming pool, with nary a ripple, due to the fact that the waves broke on a reef several hundreds yards from shore. Damn, it was NICE!!!!

It is a pristine setting that, unfortunately from what I have been told, will be destroyed by condo development in the near future.

Samana City is a scenic little town where the main party hotspot in town is the carwash. Lots of nice looking putas in the place. What makes it unusual is that all the bartenders are hookers, too. So practically any woman you see is available. The locals are real friendly. They kept pouring us beer from their bottles the first day we went there, got pretty buzzed after a couple of hours there.
    Attached Thumbnails

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to FritoBandito For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks

Re: Playa Rincon & Samana City

Pictures of carwash and Samana City:
    Attached Thumbnails

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to FritoBandito For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Road gets a little rough from Gaspar Hernandez to Nagua. Then it's fairly smooth from there to Samana City. Past Samana City to Las Galeras there is a lot of road construction going on and its really dusty.

It would be hard to do Rincon Beach in a daytrip if you want to spend a considerable amount of time there. You're looking at a good 5 hour drive to get there. I would start out real early from Sosua and drive to Samana, do the beach, then get a room in Samana City for the night. Then drive back to Sosua the following day.
    Also, Rincon Beach is 10/15 miles from Las Galeras. You can drive to Las Galeras and have someone drive you in a boat or take the ferry to Rincon Beach.

Here's the picture of the hotel I stayed in. It's a safe and secure hotel, and it's only a couple of minute walk to the middle of downtown Samana.

Rooms are 900 or 1200 pesos a night. I got a 900 peso room and it was just fine with me.
    Attached Thumbnails

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FritoBandito For This Useful Post:

Thanks

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FritoBandito For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FritoBandito View Post
    Road gets a little rough from Gaspar Hernandez to Nagua. Then it's fairly smooth from there to Samana City. Past Samana City to Las Galeras there is a lot of road construction going on and its really dusty.

It would be hard to do Rincon Beach in a daytrip if you want to spend a considerable amount of time there. You're looking at a good 5 hour drive to get there. I would start out real early from Sosua and drive to Samana, do the beach, then get a room in Samana City for the night. Then drive back to Sosua the following day.
    Also, Rincon Beach is 10/15 miles from Las Galeras. You can drive to Las Galeras and have someone drive you in a boat or take the ferry to Rincon Beach.

Here's the picture of the hotel I stayed in. It's a safe and secure hotel, and it's only a couple of minute walk to the middle of downtown Samana.

Rooms are 900 or 1200 pesos a night. I got a 900 peso room and it was just fine with me.
    Click to see pic Attached ThumbnailsClick to see pic Click to see pic
    We were in Las Galeras about 5 weeks ago and they had just finished paving the road. Stayed at the AI, Gran Paraiso which is located just south of town. Probably the best AI I have stayed at.

You can also drive to Playa Rincon, I would not recommend using a car, you need an SUV or truck.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to snoozer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,220 Times in 1,957 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FritoBandito View Post

On the way back from Bacardi Island, I had the tour bus drop me off in Samana City (Santa Barbara de Samana), where I spent 3 days. When I left, I took the public bus back to Sosua and it cost me $500 pesos.

FritoBandito any information on where to catch the buss in sosua to Samana and what time it leaves
    Last edited by Dick Dawson; 07-09-2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: fixed quote

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MyTio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MyTio View Post

FritoBandito any information on where to catch the buss in sosua to Samana and what time it leaves
    Sorry, I don't have that info. I know there is a bus that leaves Puerto Plata to go to Samana everyday, I believe, and one that returns.

Twice I have taken the Mel Tours bus to Samana to Bacardi Island. Once I returned with the bus. The second time I got off the Mel Tours bus in Samana City.

Think about it, if you decide stay in Samana, by taking the Mel Tours bus, it wil cost you about $60 dollars to get out to Samana AND you get to see Bacardi Island for that price, too. The public bus leaves Samana for Puerto Plata, near the park in town, at approx. 2:00 p.m. everyday. It stops and picks up and drops off people the whole way between. It costs about $500 pesos for the bus fare to Sosua.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FritoBandito For This Useful Post:

Thread Information