Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Los Charmicos to New Garden

Hoseman is offline 11/27/2011-R.I.P. Derrick "Hoseman" Smith. Engine Co. #5 AkA "Smitty"
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,348 Times in 3,096 Posts

Re: Los Charmicos to New Garden

He may even have his new Co-Pilot with him

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hoseman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hoseman View Post
    He has a wanted poster with a Bounty on his head in every cab he is laying low
    You know the car rental guy down by the laundry place is afraid to drive me to the bus stop, he can only sit in the passenger seat and then drive his own car back to his lot.. And the taxi guy I always use from the airport(Felix) was lurking around watching and then approached me to ask how im getting to santiago cuz he knew my return flight was there . Like I owe him an explanation .. them mother fuckers aint no joke. LOL

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Guys on average how much does it cost to get from Sosua to Blackbeards?I plan on catching the Metro bus from Sdq to Sosua then taxi from there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bdaman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bdaman View Post
    Guys on average how much does it cost to get from Sosua to Blackbeards?I plan on catching the Metro bus from Sdq to Sosua then taxi from there.
    If you are not staying in Sosua only take the bus to Puerto Plata. Even if you are staying in Sosua, when you leave take the bus to Puerto Plata then a taxi for 300 pesos from the bus station to BB. Or you can hire a whole publico for 300 pesos to take you to Puerta Plata then 300 peso taxi from there. A regular taxi is going to cost at least $40.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Hoseman is offline 11/27/2011-R.I.P. Derrick "Hoseman" Smith. Engine Co. #5 AkA "Smitty"
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robert13212 View Post
    If you are not staying in Sosua only take the bus to Puerto Plata. Even if you are staying in Sosua, when you leave take the bus to Puerto Plata then a taxi for 300 pesos from the bus station to BB. Or you can hire a whole publico for 300 pesos to take you to Puerta Plata then 300 peso taxi from there. A regular taxi is going to cost at least $40.
    They want 400 peso now from Sosua to take the publico by yourself I think.Passport Playa and Givengo took a publico all the way there.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoseman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

They want 400 peso now from Sosua to take the publico by yourself I think.Passport Playa and Givengo took a publico all the way there.
    That's fucked up if they want 400 pesos. They cram 6 people in there at 50 pesos each to go to Puerto Plata. They get 300 pesos for that. If they try to charge 400 to get the whole taxi it is just another rip-off.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

6 poor dominicans= 300 pesos
    One rich Gringo = 400 pesos.
    Dominicanomics 101 all over again.
    lol

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

That's fucked up if they want 400 pesos. They cram 6 people in there at 50 pesos each to go to Puerto Plata. They get 300 pesos for that. If they try to charge 400 to get the whole taxi it is just another rip-off.
    Not really. They wouldn't make enough if they took always took 6 people between the two larger towns for 50 pesos each per trip (I think it is 45 pesos in daytime?) They hope for several passengers making shorter trips @ 20 to 40 pesos so they can sell the same seat two or three times each trip. Sometimes they lose out but on the average it works out slightly better for them. So they charge 400 to make up for that. I think that is more than fair compared with a private taxi.

Publico drivers provide a useful service and don't earn big money. I don't know why guys begrudge them another 100 pesos when they spend $thousands in bars where the standard mark-up is 200% over cost for poured drinks (not for those sold in bottles).

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks

it was 300 just like it was 40 pesos for up until about 2 months ago from pp to sosua somtimes I take the whole from seat for 90 pesos

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoseman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Not really. They wouldn't make enough if they took always took 6 people between the two larger towns for 50 pesos each per trip (I think it is 45 pesos in daytime?) They hope for several passengers making shorter trips @ 20 to 40 pesos so they can sell the same seat two or three times each trip. Sometimes they lose out but on the average it works out slightly better for them. So they charge 400 to make up for that. I think that is more than fair compared with a private taxi.

Publico drivers provide a useful service and don't earn big money. I don't know why guys begrudge them another 100 pesos when they spend $thousands in bars where the standard mark-up is 200% over cost for poured drinks (not for those sold in bottles).
    Weyland is right because they have the ability to pick others up but when someone gets out but when you ride by yourself the can make the trip faster.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoseman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

it was 300 just like it was 40 pesos for up until about 2 months ago from pp to sosua somtimes I take the whole from seat for 90 pesos

I always paid double for the front seat.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    I always paid double for the front seat.
    It depends on how I feel if I want to ride up front and not be crowed in POP I go to the Publico stand where they begin in Pop I have to take a Moto there an extra 25 pesos if it is a day I don't mind it I just walk up to HWY 5 and pay the 45 Pesos.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoseman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Mr Weyland I would agree with you except for one important reason.
    A straight run is always better on Fuel, than stopping and starting again with a full load of people not to mention the wear and tear on the vehicle. At $6 + a gallon, I think the additional pesos are cancelled out completely. Just my opinion, but yes I do know something about cars. I diagnosed a taxi guys problem when he offered to drive me from santiago to Sosua, I told him his driveshaft univ joint(s) were about to fall out ( a $15-$30 part that could potentially cause a catastrophic accident)
    I could visualize the bearings in there never having been greased , even eventhough most have a grease fitting nipple. Told him hes got maybe a couple hundred or 1K miles left til the shaft drops. Course he looked at me like I was crazy. they drive em til something breaks , strange noises mean nothing to them.. LOL sorry for the off topic, but point is these taxi guys dont know much, except how to ask for more money from gringos.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

It depends on how I feel if I want to ride up front and not be crowed in POP I go to the Publico stand where they begin in Pop I have to take a Moto there an extra 25 pesos if it is a day I don't mind it I just walk up to HWY 5 and pay the 45 Pesos.
    Well first I would see who else was riding and if a cute chica was in the mix, I would sit next to her.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    Well first I would see who else was riding and if a cute chica was in the mix, I would sit next to her.
    Yeah i know thats why lots of times I take the 45 peso ride.It is more likely to happen heading out of Sosua.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoseman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    A straight run is always better on Fuel, than stopping and starting again with a full load of people not to mention the wear and tear on the vehicle. At $6 + a gallon, I think the additional pesos are cancelled out completely. Just my opinion, but yes I do know something about cars. I diagnosed a taxi guys problem when he offered to drive me from santiago to Sosua, I told him his driveshaft univ joint(s) were about to fall out ( a $15-$30 part that could potentially cause a catastrophic accident)
    I could visualize the bearings in there never having been greased , even eventhough most have a grease fitting nipple. Told him hes got maybe a couple hundred or 1K miles left til the shaft drops. Course he looked at me like I was crazy. they drive em til something breaks , strange noises mean nothing to them.. LOL sorry for the off topic, but point is these taxi guys dont know much, except how to ask for more money from gringos.
    They're not running gas. They're running propane.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    They're not running gas. They're running propane.
    Yes , I noticed that , esp when we had to get OUT so it would fill cause of the weight in the back. I didnt know all of them were already on propane though? but your point is ?

34. The Following User Says Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,118 Times in 3,985 Posts

Cheaper?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    A straight run is always better on Fuel, than stopping and starting again with a full load of people not to mention the wear and tear on the vehicle. At $6 + a gallon, I think the additional pesos are cancelled out completely.
    No doubt you are right, but you know the Dominican mentality. They can only calculate the pesos they can physically see in their hand. If they find they are paying more for fuel then that is the government's fault, not their's. If they have to repair or replace parts then that is not their fault, it is just bad luck or the fault of the person they bought the vehicle from or (if Christians) the will of God.

If they had any conception of fuel economy, why do they always drive at full speed, jam on the brakes hard when they want to stop, then accelerate away with foot hard on the pedal like drag racers? Waste of fuel and the brakes last no time at all.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    If they had any conception of fuel economy, why do they always drive at full speed, jam on the brakes hard when they want to stop, then accelerate away with foot hard on the pedal like drag racers? Waste of fuel and the brakes last no time at all.

They have been receiving Govt. subsidizes with their gas purchases for many yrs while the other consumers are paying RD108.8 for propane. The coupons they receive (est. 30% discount) is being funded by the market profit collected by the Govt and the union. All repairs are done only with local union shops where the parts are again supplied by Govt. Here is a new twist of the future of what they will be getting.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/eco...to-natural-gas

39. The Following User Says Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information