Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad Days to Visit Sosua

Hoseman is offline 11/27/2011-R.I.P. Derrick "Hoseman" Smith. Engine Co. #5 AkA "Smitty"
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,348 Times in 3,096 Posts

Re: Bad Days to Visit Sosua

Quote Originally Posted by BigLongBeach View Post
    The worst day i have seen is Dominican Election Day. May 16th i believe.

It starts out innocently with everyone on the streets with their party's color on but it doesnt end well.

When i was in sosua they impose a curfew. No one on the streets or they get locked up no if ands or buts. There can be violence. I know dominicans that wore tha wrong colors and caught a beating for it. Gun shots can be heard (probably a mix of celebration and violence)

In sosua i made the best of it with another awesome villa party but its a waste land for 1 1/2 days for the guys who like to hunt.
    They also don't sell alcohol but the last election we had our own and it was like a big street party in Sosua.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoseman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 931 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    Ryatt loved NYE. I have never been, and it will be a long time until I do. But, I loved Superbowl weekend, and can't wait for 2012. Of course, our party has nothing to do with that!!
    Man NYE OPENED MY EYES That was my first time back in over a year and is now going to be my new tradition! I need to put up a pictorial this weekend of the damn trip. I got a chance to hang with that crazy ass Canadian crew and met some FIYAH....

Superbowl weekend had alot of dudes, and EVEN MORE NEW CHICAS (another tradition)! But don't take my word for it....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to papirazzi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,734 Times in 3,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hoseman View Post
    They also don't sell alcohol but the last election we had our own and it was like a big street party in Sosua.
    Really? I was there in 2010, and it was dead. All the restaurants and bars where closed. We had to pick up girls straight from the bus stop. The girl i had arranged to meet got locked up for walking from the salon w/out proper ID.

The daytime seemed pretty wild cause everyone is out and about with music blaring but once it gets dark everything was shut down until the next night. Oh well im glad its changed...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigLongBeach For This Useful Post:

Hoseman is offline 11/27/2011-R.I.P. Derrick "Hoseman" Smith. Engine Co. #5 AkA "Smitty"
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,348 Times in 3,096 Posts

Really? I was there in 2010, and it was dead. All the restaurants and bars where closed. We had to pick up girls straight from the bus stop. The girl i had arranged to meet got locked up for walking from the salon w/out proper ID.

The daytime seemed pretty wild cause everyone is out and about with music blaring but once it gets dark everything was shut down until the next night. Oh well im glad its changed...
    It was the last Presidential election it may have been 09 me and my buddy who is also on the board we had our own girls he was also living down there there were lots of people in the streets.I would not pick that time to visit though you were right about that.We had a ball though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoseman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,379 Times in 7,663 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hoseman View Post
    It was the last Presidential election it may have been 09 me and my buddy who is also on the board we had our own girls he was also living down there there were lots of people in the streets.I would not pick that time to visit though you were right about that.We had a ball though.
    We had a thermos with vodka and red bull walking the streets of Sosua. Every time we'd run out we go back to the apartment re-up and go back to our stroll. I was with one of my crazy/silly favoritas and Hose was with one of his. We had a ball, but that was basically Dominican type fun. If it wasn't for the girls it would have been a challenging day.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,734 Times in 3,148 Posts

One more comment about Semana Santa/easter. If you like relaxing that is the wrong weekend to do it. By that i mean laying on the beach, enjoying quiet dinners, and strolling around.

If you like big ass parties, and lots of people everywhere then (other than good friday) Semana Santa in Sosua and more specifically Cabarete is the place to be.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,379 Times in 7,663 Posts

The strategy I developed for Semana Santa was to arrive on the Saturday after Good Friday and stay through the next weekend. Chica prices usually were down and quality up because they were trying to recoup the money they had blown the week before.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

One more comment about Semana Santa/easter. If you like relaxing that is the wrong weekend to do it. By that i mean laying on the beach, enjoying quiet dinners, and strolling around.

If you like big ass parties, and lots of people everywhere then (other than good friday) Semana Santa in Sosua and more specifically Cabarete is the place to be.
    This was LEAST crowded the beach was on my first Semana Santa:

It's crazy that weekend. If you don't like capacity crowds, stay off Sosua Beach that weekend.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information