Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: 05/2007 - Airline tickets getting crazy - Is this affecting your plans?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,450 Times in 590 Posts

05/2007 - Airline tickets getting crazy - Is this affecting your plans?

I'm thinking about going to pop 7-1 > 7-4 or -5. The prices are more than I really want to pay $478(1 stop) > $639 (non-stop continental, I paid $420 for this flight in april), I see some fluctuation daily, I almost grabbed a $436 (1 stop), but was indecisve.

Question for you guys who have done this for awhile, Do you think the prices will dip or just increase this close to july?

And for you guys going in the july invasion, do you expect an event on the 4th?, Flying back on the 4th would be better for me, but if something cool was in the works, I might stay?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigDave For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,116 Times in 566 Posts

Re: Airfare Fluctuations

BigDave, Something is in the works everyday in Sosua Glad to here that you are going to make the trip!! Get a room now at the Garden because I know they are booking up fast....Jimmy has the cousins coming back as well........its going to be a big party....and yes I will fill your frig with beer....lol!!
    TPdog

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TPdog For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,450 Times in 590 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TPdog View Post
    BigDave, Something is in the works everyday in Sosua Glad to here that you are going to make the trip!! Get a room now at the Garden because I know they are booking up fast....Jimmy has the cousins coming back as well........its going to be a big party....and yes I will fill your frig with beer....lol!!
    TPdog
    I havn't pushed the button yet, but hopefully will soon, this is a great timespan for me work wise (dead due to holiday).

BTW, erase that damn song off your IPOD!! lol!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigDave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    I'm thinking about going to pop 7-1 > 7-4 or -5. The prices are more than I really want to pay $478(1 stop) > $639 (non-stop continental, I paid $420 for this flight in april), I see some fluctuation daily, I almost grabbed a $436 (1 stop), but was indecisve.

Question for you guys who have done this for awhile, Do you think the prices will dip or just increase this close to july?
    If I were a betting man fares will only increase. You are fighting with every family taking the 4th off going somewhere.

BTW I looked for a while and best I got was $445 out of LGA. I do not fly out of EWR.

But I am rookie as far as finding good fares so don't take my word. EricS always seems to go dirt cheap that dog.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Willie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

The problem is your fighting traffic from the AI's going into POP...... July 4th week is a big holiday travel week for AI vacationers.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    The problem is your fighting traffic from the AI's going into POP...... July 4th week is a big holiday travel week for AI vacationers.
    have to agree having booked same timeframe last year. if you dont book wayyyyyy early for this week you pay top dollar as the time gets closer.

Also changing which day you fly in/out can make a HUGE difference.

You might also want to try flying in through STI (santiago) and out through POP or vice versa. Continental offers both non stop and by changing flights/days slightly you might be able to save a few hundred $.
    Jimmy owes me a dollar!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,294 Times in 3,816 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post

And for you guys going in the july invasion, do you expect an event on the 4th?, Flying back on the 4th would be better for me, but if something cool was in the works, I might stay?
    I spoke with Shark Bar Lou (he is in NYC now - flys back to the DR on his Birthday, May 28th!). He will be hosting the second annual ISOC July 4th BBQ at the Shark Bar on Wed, July 4th. More info will be posted in the New York Shark Bar section.

And as to airfares, the general rule I follow is if the fare from NY (JFK or EWR) is $350 or less, I grab it and pay cash (CC on-line). If the fare is more than $350, I'll use my ff miles.

Hope to walk in on you again down there Big Dave .

And FYI, I'm still having an ISOC BBQ at my house on Sat, June 16th 2007. I'll be updating that thread soon. Hope to see you there also.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ErikS For This Useful Post:

Thanks

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RSMMAN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,498 Times in 5,141 Posts

JFK to Santiago is too muthafuckin expensive!!

I bought my ticket today for my 4-day trip to the DR in November and it cost me 485 dollars on American Airlines. Now I know this is around Turkey Day when I will be down there, but I think it is outrageous. It is also what the market can bear. I had been tracking the price on www.sidestep.com closely and when I saw it start to jump up I knew I had to buy it because I suspected that it would not come back down again. Oh well, fuck it. I got to get there. I know one thing, after this trip it will crystalize in my mind fully and completely that my money overall might be best spent in Colombia and that DR will move into the "weekend getaway" domain of my mongering existence.
    HAVE FUN AND ENJOY LIFE!!!
    HAPPINESS TAKES WORK!!!
    FIGHT FOR IT!!!!!!!!

Chewie, get us out of here!!

OH, and I almost forgot, If I am a Post Whore then at least I am DISEASE FREE, MUTHAFUCKAS!!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to blacksultan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: JFK to Santiago is too muthafuckin expensive!!

Blacksultan:

I understand your frustration; however, you and everyone in New York should count your blessings. I live in Mississippi and the cheapest I could find in October was $513. I trade for NY prices to DR any time.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goodmasterson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,303 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Goodmasterson View Post
    Blacksultan:

I understand your frustration; however, you and everyone in New York should count your blessings. I live in Mississippi and the cheapest I could find in October was $513. I trade for NY prices to DR any time.
    You are right. Being from NYC many airlines cater to the many ethnicities of this city. At JFK you can fly anywhere. Us NYCers are pretty spoiled. Some cities can't even connect to get to some countries. But BS is right. The airplane ticket prices are getting just plain retarded.
    If God didn't want me to sin he wouldn't have given me a penis...

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Smash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,294 Times in 3,816 Posts

You have to watch for sales and then jump on them. I use Farecompare.com and get email alerts when the prices change on the routes I bookmark.

I recently bought three RT tickets this way. Continental Airlines non-stop Newark to Puerto Plata, and the total cost of each ticket (taxes included) was between $277 and $295.

But you have to move quick cause sometimes the window for purchasing at these sale prices is measured in hours rather than days.

Last year I did the same thing and bought three tickets at once. Delta Non-Stop JFK to Santiago $255 RT (taxes included).

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ErikS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,949 Times in 4,636 Posts

can there be a thread sticky on all the discounted fair sites...seems like everyday im reading about a new one!!! guys are holding out!!!

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemp For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,501 Times in 8,028 Posts

I think the prices on Delta from Newark are always kind of low $250-$350

JFK is 20 minutes from my house, so I never use Newark

I bought my tix for my october trip last month for $309. All holiday fares are always going to be expensive, try flying out during Christmas it's about $700 bucks.
    The sites I use are
    kayak.com, sidestep.com, cheaptickets.com, hotwire.com, aa.com
    I also find that fares to SDQ are always the cheapest too.
    I've offended you.....goood

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eastcoastallstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,313 Times in 734 Posts

American Airlines Cuts some flights to the DR and raises prices

Santo Domingo.- American Airlines on Monday said it will continue offering services to the Dominican Republic, including its subsidiary American Eagle.

On September 24 the airline announced that as of April 6, 2011, American Airlines will stop providing direct service from San Juan to Boston, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Tampa, Washington-Dulles and Santo Domingo.

American Eagle will stop providing direct service from San Juan to Anguilla, La Romana, Haiti, Puerto Plata and Trinidad.

Despite the changes, the airline said it will continue providing a solid itinerary of flights in Dominican Republic with American as well as with American Eagle.

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gmalet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,392 Posts

Re: American Airlines Cuts some flights to the DR

Quote Originally Posted by gmalet View Post
    Santo Domingo.- American Airlines on Monday said it will continue offering services to the Dominican Republic, including its subsidiary American Eagle.

On September 24 the airline announced that as of April 6, 2011, American Airlines will stop providing direct service from San Juan to Boston, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Tampa, Washington-Dulles and Santo Domingo.

American Eagle will stop providing direct service from San Juan to Anguilla, La Romana, Haiti, Puerto Plata and Trinidad.

Despite the changes, the airline said it will continue providing a solid itinerary of flights in Dominican Republic with American as well as with American Eagle.

People in USA have no money for Caribbean vacations and travelling any longer. Crysis and economic decline deepen. More and more "middle class" get into poverty. And no bright changes in any near future.

Without a serious price correction and making visits more affordable Dominican Republic could be doomed.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BCguy View Post
    People in USA have no money for Caribbean vacations and travelling any longer. Crysis and economic decline deepen. More and more "middle class" get into poverty. And no bright changes in any near future.

Without a serious price correction and making visits more affordable Dominican Republic could be doomed.

There are 400,000,000 Europeans that can travel, if they want to.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

Thanks
    Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,392 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    There are 400,000,000 Europeans that can travel, if they want to.
    With all respect economic situation in Europe is way worse.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterPink For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BCguy View Post
    With all respect economic situation in Europe is way worse.

But they are still traveling, just as the Americans with some money are.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread Information