Thread: Timed Out

Thanks
    Thanked 31,542 Times in 5,678 Posts

Timed Out

Someone mentioned they'd started their TR and when they hit 'send' they'd already timed-out and everything they posted was lost.

I remember Weyland also mentioning he'd written a long response to a post in a soccer thread and it got lost in this manner.

I don't know exactly how long it take to get timed-out from the site, but if you're writing something real long or simply got distracted for a while and came back and continued typing, there's a chance if you simply click 'send' your post will be lost, so try this to protect yourself ... save your post by copying it ... you know, 'right click ... select all ... then copy'. This way if you click 'send' and you get that dreaded 'timed-out' message, you can simply log back on and just go back to where you were intending to post and all you have to do is click 'paste' and there's your post.
    Bitch you wasn't with me shootin' in the gym ...

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to JuanElGriego For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Re: Timed Out

Quote Originally Posted by JuanElGriego View Post
    I remember Weyland also mentioning he'd written a long response to a post in a soccer thread and it got lost in this manner.
    You have made hundreds of American members here sad to think they have missed out on a long soccer post from me. Don't let it spoil your weekend, guys. I promise to post an even longer one sometime soon.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,118 Times in 3,985 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    You have made hundreds of American members here sad to think they have missed out on a long soccer post from me. Don't let it spoil your weekend, guys. I promise to post an even longer one sometime soon.
    my walls just crumbled in around me.

but the thought that there is another post in the future, has given me the strength to rebuild them.
    www.thatsafunnyshirt.com www.toledotees.com

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to naptime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,118 Times in 3,985 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JuanElGriego View Post
    Someone mentioned they'd started their TR and when they hit 'send' they'd already timed-out and everything they posted was lost.

I don't know exactly how long it take to get timed-out from the site, but if you're writing something real long or simply got distracted for a while and came back and continued typing, there's a chance if you simply click 'send' your post will be lost, so try this to protect yourself ... save your post by copying it ... you know, 'right click ... select all ... then copy'. This way if you click 'send' and you get that dreaded 'timed-out' message, you can simply log back on and just go back to where you were intending to post and all you have to do is click 'paste' and there's your post.
    i started out doing "reports" long before i was doing trip reports on isoc.

when i was competing at a world level in car audio, we always did "build threads" same concept as a trip report, except we were showing everyone every step of the build. from the first blade of a circular saw cutting through a sheet of mdf, all the way down to the last bag of concrete being poured into the walls of the speaker enclosure.

when i was building my laid out mini truck on bags, same thing.. we always had build threads. from the first cut of a sawl zawl cutting the trucks frame in half, down to the picture of the first sparks on the highway.

when i built my chopper.. again, same thing, entire build threads from the first bolt coming off the gas tank, until the last picture of you burning out in the driveway.

as such... i learned a LONG time ago, to not only do what you mentioned.. but i started going a few steps further.. for the most part, when i am typing something long winded, i dont do it on the board. i do it in word or notepad. and then copy/paste onto the board.

it's not as a big a deal for guys who type one or two sentances and post a picture (or not)

but for long winded folks like myself, weyland, yayow, etc... it is a very big deal.

typing in a 34rd party app is probably a bit extreme.. but it helps when you are posting in multiple boards too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to naptime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 1,322 Posts

If you're in Windows, Notepad or Wordpad, both included.
    We surveyed 100 chicas and the top 69 answers are on the board. Here's the question...

I.S.O.B.B.C.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dick Dawson For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,650 Times in 2,270 Posts

I have the same problem. Before previewing or submitting a long post, I always do Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C to make sure I don't lose it.

On my last trip report it saved me more than once. Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, time out, log back in, Ctrl-V, good to go!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to uncle ruckus For This Useful Post:

Thread Information