Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying essentials etc

Thanks
    Thanked 113,285 Times in 14,580 Posts

Buying essentials etc

Is there anything like shampoo, deodorant, cologne, sunscreen, bath towels etc that I am better off bringing from the US rather than buying in Sosua. I am assuming I can pretty much buy the essentials here without breaking the bank.

Also I don't know much if any spanish and am going to rely and an disabled iphone app to translate for me.

I was thinking about getting a prepaid phone and some minutes in Sosua but I am wondering if a phone is essential for someone like me that doesnt have a very good command of the spanish language. I am figuring there will be plenty of chica opportunities to hookup without a phone but am looking for some insight if my thought process is not correct.
    Last edited by j_d66; 06-22-2012 at 08:42 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,365 Times in 1,005 Posts

Re: Buying essentials etc

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    Is there anything like shampoo, deodorant, cologne, sunscreen, bath towels etc that I am better off bringing from the US rather than buying in Sosua. I am assuming I can pretty much buy the essentials here without breaking the bank.

Also I don't know much if any spanish and am going to rely and an disabled iphone app to translate for me.

I was thinking about getting a prepaid phone and some minutes in Sosua but I am wondering if a phone is essential for someone like me that doesnt have a very good command of the spanish language. I am figuring there will be plenty of chica opportunities to hookup without a phone but am looking for some insight if my thought process is not correct.
    my bags are always over the 50lbs limit, so i usually buy my soap and shyt like that when i get to the d.r...if you can get a decent unlocked phone just for the d.r. that would be wise bc some chicas you just might want to keep their info for future use. if i were you, i would prob get a phone with a keyboard, so you can easily text. .....some of the nokia phones you can text from your computer thru the phone with OVI (nokia software).....if you plan to make a lot of trips, get a decent phone...used blackberry or whatever..your everyday phone, you may want to lock it in the safe, unless your kids or job will be calling you..

i recommend getting a used blackberry and activating the bbm....i get mucho HOT pix daily thru bbm
    "Square players get played, pimps get paid, macks persuade"

"Trust me…never buy a depreciating asset. If it drives, flies, floats or f*cks - lease it!"

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chief Papi Lindo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 53,118 Times in 6,021 Posts

The only thing you should bring is Condoms, everything else is available there. I recomend you go through this
    thread of where everything is, it's better then any map.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...y-Around-Sosua

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tarzan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,740 Times in 511 Posts

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.p...hfbn3f&thumb=5

Here is a map of Sosua. The Super Playero # 11 will have all your essentials. They will exchange dollars too, at a good rate. I take down a recycle bag. It's better than all those plastic bags.

Take down a unlocked phone. Get a chip and minutes. I use Claro with Jibbigo translate app. Then you can text the chicas. Copy & paste.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davemaryland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

I bring all my own shit because not all preferred brands of products are always available away from home. Plus it's probably less expensive to just hit Target or Walmart and get the sample sizes of everything for $1.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,285 Times in 14,580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davemaryland View Post
    http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.p...hfbn3f&thumb=5

Here is a map of Sosua. The Super Playero # 11 will have all your essentials. They will exchange dollars too, at a good rate. I take down a recycle bag. It's better than all those plastic bags.

Take down a unlocked phone. Get a chip and minutes. I use Claro with Jibbigo translate app. Then you can text the chicas. Copy & paste.
    Thanks for the advice i have an old iphone that i guess i should try to figure out how to unlock.
    The Jibbigo app looks like the ticket as well as it appears that it does not need to be connected all the time
    I have a moto Q as well but figure its to old plus i dont really remember how to use it since i have been an iphone user for awhile

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 697 Posts

Only thing I bring that I must have and can't easily be found are wash cloths (face towels).

I bring my own towel, only if I have enough room.
    I bring my own soap..but it's not necessary.

You can easily buy just about anything else.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mrblackluv For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Thanks for the advice i have an old iphone that i guess i should try to figure out how to unlock.
    The Jibbigo app looks like the ticket as well as it appears that it does not need to be connected all the time
    I have a moto Q as well but figure its to old plus i dont really remember how to use it since i have been an iphone user for awhile
    They unlock phones down there. I don't remember how much the guy charged Robert.

If there is a certain product you HAVE to have, take it. Otherwise, you can buy all the essentials there. I usually just throw my regular stuff in a freezer bag or two so it doesn't leak. I use to buy all separate travel sizes, but they usually ran out before the trip was over. Showering 3 to 5 times a day goes through quite a bit of product.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

I bring most of the stuff I know I cant substitute with something else... I may not find the soap I like, but can find an easy replacement... I brought my own hair gel, cause I knew they wouldnt have the one I use in DR... Last trip I forgot to bring baby powder and tried to buy it at the local store but didnt know the name for powder... I tried to explain it in spanish but that didnt work out too well... In spanish, I tried to say something that is used for babies, its white, they showed me cream, I couldnt get what I wanted, and without thinking I said it looks like cocaine... that didnt go over too well as you can imagine! lol... No really, it was not cool the way they looked at me but I couldn't think of anything else... I wound up walking to the big Playero and just found it in the aisle with the rest of the baby products lol.. I felt so bad how I tried to explain it that I went back to the store that didn't have it, just to show them what I wanted to buy... They started cracking up laughing... I now know and will never forget, the name for powder is TALCO... (as in talcum powder)

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,561 Times in 1,572 Posts

Bring all your own essentails. For all your liquid essentail you can buy 3oz empty bottles from the 99˘ store or Major Pharmacy like Duane Reade. You can pour all your liquid things in the bottles. Third world country means third world products in most cases.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to rahsta For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The one thing they don't sell in a lot of stores here or anywhere else is the shaving oil that I use when I must shave my dome in the pool. It took me a few years of painful shaving before I found out about the product.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,920 Times in 2,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by el toro View Post
    The one thing they don't sell in a lot of stores here or anywhere else is the shaving oil that I use when I must shave my dome in the pool. It took me a few years of painful shaving before I found out about the product.
    Did you just say you "shave in the pool"?

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eldorob For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,561 Times in 1,572 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eldorob View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rahsta For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Unless there are specific products that you just have to have then why bother with the hassle of bringing your own. Support the local economy, try different things and travel fast and light!

I used to bring all my own shit until I forgot shave gel or shampoo and then I realized that I was not that fussy and could get decent stuff here. Since then I just take carry-on bags, fly thru customs and don't have to wait for checked bags.

For me it's the only way to go!
    When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eldorob View Post
    Just the one time. El Caucho was having water issues one day.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Siochana View Post
    Unless there are specific products that you just have to have then why bother with the hassle of bringing your own. Support the local economy, try different things and travel fast and light!

I used to bring all my own shit until I forgot shave gel or shampoo and then I realized that I was not that fussy and could get decent stuff here. Since then I just take carry-on bags, fly thru customs and don't have to wait for checked bags.

For me it's the only way to go!
    I couldn't agree more. I bring my own bar soaps (African shea butter and tea tree and lemon oil) and I bring a 3 oz. tube of tea tree oil, lock & twist, facecloths (impossible to find decent ones there) and the usual OTC medi's (Immodium, Prilosec, Benadryl, etc.). Everything else I buy there and prices are comparable if not cheaper.

I was on a trip to Aruba and tried "Miel y Leche" shampoo because I forgot to bring mine and I like the smell of it. I love that stuff now and I was looking all over for it in the States when I returned. Only when I went to the DR and found it in quart size did I realize that they make it there. Now it's on the list of shit to buy for the trip HOME.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 111 Posts

I don't know where you are staying or for how long. I always stay for a few weeks in a condo. The one thing that I have learned to bring from home is a good set of fitted sheet. The sheets that were supplied, even in a decent condo, really suck. By the end of a good romp, the sheets would be wadded up or on the floor. I was almost ready to buy a place just so I could furnish it myself. A decent towel from home is a good idea also.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tarrantino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,266 Times in 7,383 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by el toro View Post
    Just the one time. El Caucho was having water issues one day.
    I guess you should remember to bring your own water too!

You need some type of oil to shave your head? I figured you just take a handful of Gillette Foamy shaving creme or shaving gel and rub that stuff all over to git er done.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,991 Times in 444 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tarzan View Post
    The only thing you should bring is Condoms, everything else is available there. I recomend you go through this
    thread of where everything is, it's better then any map.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...y-Around-Sosua

i saw american condom brands @ he pharmacy so even that can be bought out there..not sure of the prices dough

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GREEKFREAK For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Shampoo, deodorant, cologne and sunscreen are advised to bring from you home (US?). Think about going on a trip even to the next city over, wouldn't you prefer your own shit? Good Idea is to invest in a toiletries bag. I bought one 10+ years ago and I'm still finding it invaluable.

http://www.amazon.com/Ensign-Toiletr...0579465&sr=1-4

Bringing an Iphone for a translator is too much trouble in my opinion. As long as the girl can read, and you can scribble numbers on a napkin or paper. You should be set... From my experience, very little real connection is made from two people, face to face, looking at a 5in cell phone screen to have a conversation. Better advice is to take the 4 words of spanish that you probably know and try to do your best to 'flirt' with a cutie who you'd like to spend time with.

.02 centavos

41. The Following User Says Thank You to dr1lvr For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information