Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 12/2011 - Sosua discount rates for ISOCers

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Re: 12/2011 - Sosua discount rates for ISOCers

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBeas View Post
    already sent my reply to NG that i want a first floor room on the new wing side... waiting on my confirmation...
    check the sliding glass door, and make sure the latch lock works properly and is not loose. If it is, have the maintenance guy tighten it up. I dont think they ever fixed them doors proper . But is no biggie.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Re: Sosua discount rates for ISOCers

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    Some people like to count their beans. Aint no crime to save money.
    And just Like saving $.10 a gallon on Gasoline here ,, u FILL UP when its convenient, you dont go LOOKING for it by driving around 10 miles, when you on Empty... Thats just common sense, no ?
    Them dudes who exchange $500 at the airport at 32:1,, make my skin Crawl. It is exactly the same as taking a Match, and burning 3000 Pesos ( or about $80 ) , its the exact same thing.
    Changing money at ANY airport is crazy like the rates they will give you.
    But like I mentioned and Juan said wasting an hour in 90 degree heat or just wasting an hour period to save the price of a beer is crazy.
    Just Doing It

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I would be more focused on if you want to be on the upper floors or the ground floor.
    The ground floor is very convenient, to walk right out to the pool, bar and breakfast. You dont have to bring all your crap, & you forget something like a bottle of water or your phone, laptop, or pesos or whatever, you walk 25 feet to get it, and its COOLER on the ground floor. Upper floors you have a balcony you can bang chicas on if you want, so thats nice,but its hotter up there. Its all on what your preference is.
    Someone mentioned Sosua Bay before ? IMO, that AI wrist band makes you a target
    for pickpockets & hardcore putas etc on the strip
    . It just screams Newbi, even though you are NOT one and the Chica policy is inconsistent there & u can only bring ONE + you will get "looks" from the gringa wives which aint worth it. . bunch of threads on this already. Definitely go NG, or Terra Linda, imo.
    Yes those wristbands from Casa Marina Reef do the same thing. Like hanging a Kick Me Sign on your back asking to pay more for everything. If you stay at Sosua Bay stay at the non AI side where there is a seperate entrace where you won't have to walk past wives in the lobby. It is under a big red canopy away from the lobby.
    Unless you are able to get them to put the armband on very loose so you can slip it off when you are not eating at the hotel. Usually a tip will accomplish this. Otherwise just tear it off everyday and get a new one. After 2-3 days they will be tired of you and put it on loosely.

Sounds like you will be happy at New Garden Beas after you described your day of beach sleep ect and late night clubs.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikelodge View Post
    Changing money at ANY airport is crazy like the rates they will give you.
    But like I mentioned and Juan said wasting an hour in 90 degree heat or just wasting an hour period to save the price of a beer is crazy.
    Of course, and point well taken..
    But we just assume the Common sense factor should kick in, like I am HERE (like on those maps we used to see),. ok whats Close by, that give me a GOOD rate.. and I go there. You DO need to change money no matter What..so just do whats most convenient at the best rate..

But then we repeatedly read (in their trip reports) from guys who READ the board before their trip but STILL change a LOT of money at the Airport, and openly admit to it, common sense just does seem to be the Norm.

So my point was,, you guys are using the
    "guy walking around in 90 degree heat to save $2 example". I'm saying that does NOT happen as much as the
    " so I landed at POP, I changed $500 at the airport, boy they give you a shitty rate ..yes I know bad move, but I did it anyway cuz i wanted to have some pesos in my pocket" example...

and yes I know, this horse has been beaten to death like 10x over.....

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,542 Times in 5,678 Posts

Of course, and point well taken..
    But we just assume the Common sense factor should kick in, like I am HERE (like on those maps we used to see),. ok whats Close by, that give me a GOOD rate.. and I go there. You DO need to change money no matter What..so just do whats most convenient at the best rate..

But then we repeatedly read (in their trip reports) from guys who READ the board before their trip but STILL change a LOT of money at the Airport, and openly admit to it, common sense just does seem to be the Norm.

So my point was,, you guys are using the
    "guy walking around in 90 degree heat to save $2 example". I'm saying that does NOT happen as much as the " so I landed at POP, I changed $500 at the airport, boy they give you a shitty rate ..yes I know bad move, but I did it anyway cuz i wanted to have some pesos in my pocket" example...

and yes I know, this horse has been beaten to death like 10x over.....
    Well besides the fact that i always bring home a couple thousand pesos that i take with me when i go back, even if i didn't do that, what's the hurry to exchange money? If you're going to Sosua you can just tell the taxi guy to stop at an exchange place before dropping you off at the hotel, no? Or even if for some reason you don't have pesos and want pesos right then and there, why not change $50 dollars instead of $500? What the fuck are you gonna buy that you immediately need $500 dollars in pesos? What planet do some of these guys come from?
    Bitch you wasn't with me shootin' in the gym ...

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JuanElGriego For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JuanElGriego View Post
    Well besides the fact that i always bring home a couple thousand pesos that i take with me when i go back, even if i didn't do that, what's the hurry to exchange money? If you're going to Sosua you can just tell the taxi guy to stop at an exchange place before dropping you off at the hotel, no? Or even if for some reason you don't have pesos and want pesos right then and there, why not change $50 dollars instead of $500? What the fuck are you gonna buy that you immediately need $500 dollars in pesos? What planet do some of these guys come from?
    That was always my rule of thumb. If I HAD to exchange at the airport, I changed $50 max. With that (and the pesos left over from the previous trip) it's enough to get you to your room and buy stuff to get you situated.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,504 Times in 477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gdogg View Post
    Check out the newer Sosua Suites (found through Rocky's page). It's also close to the action. You should stay close to PC on your first trip back.
    I stayed there on Dec 19th in C1 (1 nigt only) and it was fine. Rick is cool peeps and will go out of his way to help.
    It aint over till I am done!!!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trib For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gdogg View Post
    That was always my rule of thumb. If I HAD to exchange at the airport, I changed $50 max. With that (and the pesos left over from the previous trip) it's enough to get you to your room and buy stuff to get you situated.

i am the same;
    i have several countries pesos, bahts, cucs, usd, etc.
    if your coming back just save the money for the next trip
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,254 Times in 7,381 Posts

Been hanging out in Pattaya and haven't logged on for a couple of weeks. I even asked a few bargirls for an ISOC discount and they had no idea what that was! They just looked at me with a contorted look on their face like they were trying to squeeze out a turd.

Changing some dollars at the POP airport isn't a problem as long as you go outside the arriving area where all the taxi guys are waiting, and walk to the left where a small bank/exchange is located. A lot of guys may not know of it, I certainly didn't my first time there. The exchange is much closer to the actual rate. I normally change out $100 there before heading into town. The cambios that are actually inside the terminal are a rip off for sure.

It is encouraging to see the dollar, little by little, continue to get stronger against the peso. When I'm there in mid March, maybe it will be within a cunt hair of 40 to 1, or beyond!

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    Been hanging out in Pattaya and haven't logged on for a couple of weeks. I even asked a few bargirls for an ISOC discount and they had no idea what that was! They just looked at me with a contorted look on their face like they were trying to squeeze out a turd.

Changing some dollars at the POP airport isn't a problem as long as you go outside the arriving area where all the taxi guys are waiting, and walk to the left where a small bank/exchange is located. A lot of guys may not know of it, I certainly didn't my first time there. The exchange is much closer to the actual rate. I normally change out $100 there before heading into town. The cambios that are actually inside the terminal are a rip off for sure.

It is encouraging to see the dollar, little by little, continue to get stronger against the peso. When I'm there in mid March, maybe it will be within a cunt hair of 40 to 1, or beyond!
    Back in the day, I used to change money with either the change guys on the streets near La Roca, (I was usually with a few guys so didn't worry much about being robbed, we would also have a car, so we got right back in the car), Playero would always give a good rate when he had alot of pesos and wanted USD for something, or we have a friend that owes a wholesale produce,rice, beans, etc business in Santiago who would always want to change money for USD... Thinkin Playero may be my best bet this upcoming trip...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBeas View Post
    Back in the day, I used to change money with either the change guys on the streets near La Roca, (I was usually with a few guys so didn't worry much about being robbed, we would also have a car, so we got right back in the car), Playero would always give a good rate when he had alot of pesos and wanted USD for something, or we have a friend that owes a wholesale produce,rice, beans, etc business in Santiago who would always want to change money for USD... Thinkin Playero may be my best bet this upcoming trip...
    ge rate

The exchange rate at the Caribe tours bus station in Santiago was 38.50 today, but it was closed when I was there waiting for a bus to Sosua. I found the rate at the Sosua Western Union/Vimenca Bank to be the best for me and convenient (across the street from the big Playero).

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to praguealchemist For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by praguealchemist View Post
    ge rate

The exchange rate at the Caribe tours bus station in Santiago was 38.50 today, but it was closed when I was there waiting for a bus to Sosua. I found the rate at the Sosua Western Union/Vimenca Bank to be the best for me and convenient (across the street from the big Playero).
    And it is very safe if you drive down Martinez or Drrosen and take a left at the fork by Baileys and follow it to the intersection with PC and go straight and to the left instead of down to the beach you can park in a small parking area behind the WU building.

Parking in the Highway side is stupid with the traffic,,, this way you go in the door where the shotgun guard is right there and can see you and will watch you get in your car or truck. Many people only go once a week or so and this way you don't have to walk around with a WAD.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 697 Posts

Depending on how I feel, I will change at the WU or the Blue Door Guy.

Next door to Banco Popular, there is a plaza with an Orange Shop.
    In the rear of the plaza, next door to a massage place is a Blue Door. Inside that a steel gate. You get buzzed in and theres a guy behind plate glass who gives the best rates.
    I think 38.4 last week.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mrblackluv For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,504 Times in 477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrblackluv View Post
    Depending on how I feel, I will change at the WU or the Blue Door Guy.

Next door to Banco Popular, there is a plaza with an Orange Shop.
    In the rear of the plaza, next door to a massage place is a Blue Door. Inside that a steel gate. You get buzzed in and theres a guy behind plate glass who gives the best rates.
    I think 38.4 last week.
    I go to him almost exclusively. When he is closed I got to the one across from the scuba shop and cigar shop and get almost the same. I don't like using it all the time as I have a rapport with the guy next to M&M/orange

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information