Thread: New Features & Reminders of Old Ones

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts

vBulletin Info New Features & Reminders of Old Ones

This is a listing of the new features installed this weekend.

Posting
    You can now insert several types of BB Code into your posts. To see an example page click Here

Yellow highlights
    Spoiler for Spoiler Tag:
    You weren't suppose to read this.

Signs
    & More Signs

Bold Italics Underline Strikethrough
    Google Search Terms: Google
    Movie links: Scarface
    [countdown=Countdown Events]30d[/countdown]

You can also add any type of media (pdf, doc, avi, wmv, etc.) using the Media BB Code which you get by clicking the button

You can also add Google, Youtube, MetaCafe, Ebaums,& MySpace videos to your post with the button

Uploading Files
    There are four ways to upload files now:
    1. Attachments, most file types but only for small files. Accessible through the button "Manage My Attachments" when creating a post.
    2. Galleries & Links, for most picture formats but not recommended. This probably will become a Links feature only in the near future. Accessible through the link "Galleries & Links" on the menu bar.
    3. VB Image Host, for most picture formats. The recommend way to upload your pictures. Accessible through the link "VB Image Host" on the menu bar.
    4. File Upload Center, for all other files. This will handle very large files including movies files, music, or documents. Accessible through the link "File Upload Center" on the menu bar OR during a new post clicking the button .
    Other Pages
    There are a few other features being worked on, enjoy for now.
    Try our new ISOC Features!
    • Create a Countdown Timer for your upcoming trip or a special date here.
    • Print out one of our Money Cheat Sheets so you know much shit costs! here
    • Create Albums for your Pictures here.
    • Join Social Groups to view other's Albums here.
    • Browse our concise & informative Wiki here.
    • Learn Spanish, Check Exchange Rates, or The Weather.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Don Tomas For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks

Re: New Features & Reminders of Old Ones

One other item:

RSVP is now available for events if you want to plan a party. You can specify the number of guests also. RSVP is enabled by default so when entering an event on the calendar uncheck the RSVP box below the text window before saving the event.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Tomas For This Useful Post:

SJG

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,606 Times in 5,261 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Tomas View Post
    We will be publishing Articles from various members (feel free to contribute) and collecting a database of valuable knowledge for our members here http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbarticles.php
    What are the requirements of an article? I mean, why would I post an informative post about some specific country under 'articles' instead of under that country's thread? Is there a limit to how long an article can be?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
    What are the requirements of an article? I mean, why would I post an informative post about some specific country under 'articles' instead of under that country's thread? Is there a limit to how long an article can be?
    1. Requirements: Simple an article should be a guide or a list of places with reviews not a trip report. BlueDevil's trip report about a good girl stealing is one of many exceptions since it dealt with a single situation that could happen with any girl.

2. Thread vs. Article: Well it should be both the problem is in DR or other popular forums, your great guide or post will be lost in a month or two buried on page 3, even as a sticky most people just read the latest threads rather then browsing the forum. We have almost 40,000 threads, things are getting lost! The plus side of a thread, people can respond to it & discuss, whereas an article can only be rated/reviewed. (e.g. You post a guide to Kenya with hotels, restaurants, clubs, etc.)

3. Right now I am working on a Guide to Rio, that the author has given permission to re-distribute, in MS Word it is 74 pages long!!!! I was able to upload the whole thing but it made reading it difficult, I am in the process of cutting it up now, but if I could post that article then I doubt there is a limit.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don Tomas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,606 Times in 5,261 Posts

DT,

Thanks for the detailed reply, I will write some in the future, or will let you know if I remember some of my past posts that could fall under the category of article too.

Thread Information