Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why we suggest not driving! source is DR1

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,964 Times in 1,262 Posts

Mad Why we suggest not driving! source is DR1

''The DR roads are least safe of 28 countries
    Deputy Public Works Minister Mario Holguin and president of the Dignity Network Foundation (Fundacion Red de la Dignidad) wants to raise awareness among citizens and government of the importance of improving road safety in the Dominican Republic. Yesterday he launched two books with his findings on regional highway safety. One of the books focuses on highway safety and government policy and the other reveals catastrophic indicators for highway safety. (Seguridad Viaria: Nueva Politica de Estado en el Hemisferio Occidental" and "Indicadores Catastroficos").

In the findings of the comparative study of risk of death on highways in 28 countries in the Western Hemisphere carried out for the books, the DR is tops on the list of most risk-prone. The fatality rate on the nation's highways is 36.4 per 100,000 inhabitants, according to the study on Accident Rates on Highways in the Western Hemisphere chart. The study shows that Cuba, Costa Rica and Chile are the safest and are the only ones with fatality rates between 4.9 and 8.8 per 100,000 inhabitants, and are considered together with Puerto Rico and Canada to be the safest places to drive in the region.''

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Re: Why we suggest not driving! source is DR1

Thanks for the info it is very important, but I love driving in the DR, you get to see some really great countryside (love driving on a highway that borders the sea, some real beautiful scenery), and have the ability to stop and hang in places that many don't have the ability to check out. Having said that, you have to be careful, many don't follow the rules of the road, and the infrastructure isn't the best for sure, but it is slowly getting better.
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    Thanks for the info it is very important, but I love driving in the DR, you get to see some really great countryside (love driving on a highway that borders the sea, some real beautiful scenery), and have the ability to stop and hang in places that many don't have the ability to check out. Having said that, you have to be careful, many don't follow the rules of the road, and the infrastructure isn't the best for sure, but it is slowly getting better.
    Ditto! I also love driving in the DR. Have been doing it for 7 out of the 10 years I've been vacationing there. And yes, dominicans drive crazy as a rule. I've had a few scrapes and fender benders. But nothing that the rental insurance doesn't cover. That's why I buy it.

Some probably shouldn't drive in the DR. But those are probably the same folks that really shouldn't drive anywhere in the world. Or ever leave the tourist areas for that matter. I certainly won't stop driving there because of some government study.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DCIronman View Post
    Ditto! I also love driving in the DR. Have been doing it for 7 out of the 10 years I've been vacationing there. And yes, dominicans drive crazy as a rule. I've had a few scrapes and fender benders. But nothing that the rental insurance doesn't cover. That's why I buy it.

Some probably shouldn't drive in the DR. But those are probably the same folks that really shouldn't drive anywhere in the world. Or ever leave the tourist areas for that matter. I certainly won't stop driving there because of some government study.
    I'm an aggressive driver and have no problem driving in NYC, Newark, DC and many other US cities and some other countries. But I'm one of those that realize that I shouldn't be driving in DR after doing so on my first trip. However, I have no fear about venturing down the less traveled path. Guys like you that live there and visit frequently have figured it out, but it's certainly not for the faint at heart. To me they don't drive aggressively in DR like in NY--in NY people know that they can get hit and respect big vehicles (sometimes). Whereas in DR to me it's more like a passive-aggressive driving style like they'll cut you off and then be slow about it cuz they don't care if they get hit or fucked up by a big truck.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by el toro View Post
    Guys like you that live there have figured it out, but it's certainly not for the faint at heart.
    It's easy to learn the rules here, however there's just none that you have to apply
    “I don’t know the question, but sex is definitely the answer.”

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Totally agree but consider the source of the post a crusty negative ass old whore monger who is down on everything . Car=Freedom say it slowly and repeat 8 times then bow.
    Just Doing It

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DCIronman View Post

Exactly same as some people shouldn't go anywhere alone because they would be lost trying to be a grown up on their own. I think some call it traveling with Road Dawgs.. Friends are great but it doesn't mean you have to share a room with them LOL. some I have even heard share a bed now that is some funny shit.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,164 Times in 5,857 Posts

How to rent a vehicle cheaper? Say I was looking for a jipeta for 2 days. A quote from the airport with insurance and taxes gets to $120 per day. At the same time when I ask how much will cost me to rent a vehicle, everyone answers $40-$45. Where is the catch? What am I missing?
    ‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    How to rent a vehicle cheaper? Say I was looking for a jipeta for 2 days. A quote from the airport with insurance and taxes gets to $120 per day. At the same time when I ask how much will cost me to rent a vehicle, everyone answers $40-$45. Where is the catch? What am I missing?
    Good Question and there are not necessarily simple answers unless of course you were to be staying at Residence D'Piero then you could rent a car for 1000 Pesos per day Total of all taxes, insurance and bull shit. Now keep in mind that he only has one to rent but he has access to many more through a friend who rents them (a German Guy) who you won't have to meet or deal with in anyway. Piero will arrange it all and you only deal with him.

Now that wasn't a plug since you asked but to further answer your question there are SEVERAL guys including the German guy I met (Can't remember his name) but there is one next to Plan B and guys like Robert 234567908763456790765454 probably know of several in Sosua that rent cars for simple rates without the Bull Shit. You should not have to pay more than about 1000 pesos which is about $26-$27 per day total.

If you are renting for a week or so you might want to stop by and ask Piero to refer you to his German contact who owns some rental places but as an owner normally doesn't deal with people but will just ask.

My 2 cents for the night

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    Try Expedia, Travelocity, and Payless. AVOID Eoropcar and Avis!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,553 Times in 1,889 Posts

Suggest not to drive but suggest to fuck third world impoverished prostitutes. Ohhhh I.S.O.C
    "The Royal Penis is Clean Your Majesty"

"No cushion for the pushin, no peso for the queso"

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to princepointe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,650 Times in 2,270 Posts

One thing to remember about these traffic statistics is that DR has a HUGE amount of motorcycle use, and that those motorcycles account for most traffic fatalities. If you take out the stats that involve motorcycles, I'm sure you'd find that the statistics aren't all that different than anywhere else. IMO, if you're driving a car, it's not any safer or less safe than driving in Manhattan or any other densely populated place.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to uncle ruckus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by uncle ruckus View Post
    One thing to remember about these traffic statistics is that DR has a HUGE amount of motorcycle use, and that those motorcycles account for most traffic fatalities. If you take out the stats that involve motorcycles, I'm sure you'd find that the statistics aren't all that different than anywhere else. IMO, if you're driving a car, it's not any safer or less safe than driving in Manhattan or any other densely populated place.

The thing about those motorcycle accidents is they don't follow the rules of the roads either, as a matter of fact they are ten times worse when it comes to observing the rules of the roads. They are in and out of traffic in a heartbeat and at high speeds, they consistently drive down the wrong way on one way streets. Half of them don't have any lights especially rear lights, can't tell you how often and we are talking on highways, when you are driving at increased speeds, I felt fortunate to observe a motorcyclist that was right in front of me, but didn't initially observe him because it was dark and his rear lights were out. Or how many darted across a highway I was driving on, and when they are going perpendicular to the way you are travelling even if they have lights often times you can't see them. Not to mention all the shit or people they sometimes carry on those bikes, simply incredible. Surprised there aren't more fatilities involving them. I understand why they are so popular, they aren't as expensive to buy, or fix and of course the price of gasoline situation, but they are truly dangerous shouldn't really be operated at least not the way they operate them in cities, rural is fine but in cities highly dangerous.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Pictures Re: Why we suggest not driving! source is DR1

The thing about those motorcycle accidents is they don't follow the rules of the roads either, as a matter of fact they are ten times worse when it comes to observing the rules of the roads. They are in and out of traffic in a heartbeat and at high speeds, they consistently drive down the wrong way on one way streets. Half of them don't have any lights especially rear lights, can't tell you how often and we are talking on highways, when you are driving at increased speeds, I felt fortunate to observe a motorcyclist that was right in front of me, but didn't initially observe him because it was dark and his rear lights were out. Or how many darted across a highway I was driving on, and when they are going perpendicular to the way you are travelling even if they have lights often times you can't see them. Not to mention all the shit or people they sometimes carry on those bikes, simply incredible. Surprised there aren't more fatilities involving them. I understand why they are so popular, they aren't as expensive to buy, or fix and of course the price of gasoline situation, but they are truly dangerous shouldn't really be operated at least not the way they operate them in cities, rural is fine but in cities highly dangerous.
    Yayow and Uncle are correct. If the worthless police forces would strictly enforce the laws on moto-conchos, the benefits would be remarkable including thousands fewer deaths and injuries to drivers and passengers, huge revenue to the government, more tourists would rent cars, tourism would grow, noise would be reduced, mas. I could go on-and-on!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    Yayow and Uncle are correct. If the worthless police forces would strictly enforce the laws on moto-conchos, the benefits would be remarkable including thousands fewer deaths and injuries to drivers and passengers, huge revenue to the government, more tourists would rent cars, tourism would grow, noise would be reduced, mas. I could go on-and-on!
    That pic of Sidney near Playero is now maybe being emailed by some fans to local LE to earn brownie points with a copy of this post. Damn man that showed up on the sign in page for all to see who don't even have a log in for this site. You could be marked especially if you are not current on all your paper work there like mentioned. Run Sid run faster run since you don't drive run

For the record many of the local police are fine human beings doing a difficult job.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 376 Posts

Never drive between towns at night. Too many drunks.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Tonto4 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Clap Re: Why we suggest not driving! source is DR1

Quote Originally Posted by mikelodge View Post
    That pic of Sidney near Playero is now maybe being emailed by some fans to local LE to earn brownie points with a copy of this post. Damn man that showed up on the sign in page for all to see who don't even have a log in for this site. You could be marked especially if you are not current on all your paper work there like mentioned. Run Sid run faster run since you don't drive run

For the record many of the local police are fine human beings doing a difficult job.
    Stop hallucinating and go back to your tired reco's of your avearage hotel !

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

The thing about those motorcycle accidents is they don't follow the rules of the roads either, as a matter of fact they are ten times worse when it comes to observing the rules of the roads.
    I just don't understand what you're talking about

404739_10150477170436631_585171630_9070387_1148544484_n.jpg

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,920 Times in 2,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by uncle ruckus View Post
    IMO, if you're driving a car, it's not any safer or less safe than driving in Manhattan or any other densely populated place.
    There are other factors then just the physical safety of it. Noobs should not drive in the DR.

Spooning with nekid chicos anyone?

What american noob could drive away from an accident where some motoconcho guy is laying on the road? They can't, and they'll pay dearly because of it.

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eldorob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    Try Expedia, Travelocity, and Payless. AVOID Eoropcar and Avis!

stay away from Avis, I rented from them once, definitely not the same as Avis at home. The car had scratches all over it and was not well maintained.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information