Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why we suggest not driving! source is DR1

Thanks

Rolleyes Re: Why we suggest not driving! source is DR1

I have a jeepeta rented for me every time I fly to DR. It is never in my name just in case something goes down. I generally pay 1,300 - 1,500 DOP por dia. You will never be able to cruise the "barrios" in a taxi. Even a crappy S.U.V., by American standards, is a huge status symbol down there. You simply can't enjoy Santiago, the way I get down, without a vehicle. Driving in NYC is very similar to driving in Dom Rep. Just act like it's New York during a blackout and Marshall Law has been declared. The major difference is the moto conchos. Those guy's are on some sort of death wish.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Dr McGlovin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Re: Why we suggest not driving! source is DR1

Quote Originally Posted by eldorob View Post
    There are other factors then just the physical safety of it. Noobs should not drive in the DR.

Spooning with nekid chicos anyone?

What american noob could drive away from an accident where some motoconcho guy is laying on the road? They can't, and they'll pay dearly because of it.

Yeah Dominicans have no problem getting involved in an accident and just driving away, they never stop! That's because most don't have insurance. Probably why insurance is so relatively cheap, they never have to pay out on a claim, cause nobody stops to exchange info.
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 2,554 Posts

I've been driving in the DR (mostly the North Coast) since my 4th trip in 2005 and have never had a problem. I take the same precautions that I take elsewhere. I don't think it's any more of a problem than driving in any other place in the US that is comparably congested, so I don't see driving as being problematic.

HOWEVER, if you get in an accident, you could very well be fucked.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    I've been driving in the DR (mostly the North Coast) since my 4th trip in 2005 and have never had a problem. I take the same precautions that I take elsewhere. I don't think it's any more of a problem than driving in any other place in the US that is comparably congested, so I don't see driving as being problematic.

Agreed. That's all the reason I need not to. It's one less scamming opportunity for the scammers.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 34,226 Times in 2,769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    Agreed. That's all the reason I need not to. It's one less scamming opportunity for the scammers.
    The key to driving in the DR is to buy insurance locally. If an accident does happen, everything will be the gringos fault. Even if your credit card does cover rentals in the DR (most credit card companies do not!), you will not be allowed to leave until the claims are paid. If you did buy insurance with the car, things will go allot smoother.

One other thing, the most expensive place anywhere to rent a car is the airport. Also the most convenient place to rent a car.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dquick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,163 Times in 5,856 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post

I am not worried about any kind of driving conditions. I have years of private contractor experience securing convoys in the Middle East. Enough said.

I just don't want neither to kill another suicidal civilian nor drive a cheap micro in which one has to open a back door to fuck a girl if it were a hatchback or put her leg on a mirror outside pushing a dashboard with your back.
    ‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    Stop hallucinating and go back to your tired reco's of your avearage hotel !
    You live there and you publically insult the police force when many locals including whores and non whore women and men including some in business all know about this site and undoubtably many lurk on here hmmm ok and with your picture posted that isn't real smart imho just sayin it is one thing to be negative on Sosua and every business in it and everything about it but being so public about the law there might get your old ass in some trouble. It only takes one person to have a few drinks and talk to there cousin and his cousin. Best of luck to you on your public stand against Dominican Law.
    Just Doing It

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eldorob View Post
    There are other factors then just the physical safety of it. Noobs should not drive in the DR.

Spooning with nekid chicos anyone?

What american noob could drive away from an accident where some motoconcho guy is laying on the road? They can't, and they'll pay dearly because of it.
    Nice memory,,, 8 and the naked spooners was an awesome story. I bet he still lurks occasionally or is even more regular.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 2,554 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    I just don't want....... to..........drive a cheap micro in which one has to open a back door to fuck a girl if it were a hatchback or put her leg on a mirror outside pushing a dashboard with your back.
    Hmm, you rent cars to fuck chicas in? Wouldn't a ST room be cheaper?

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by uncle ruckus View Post
    One thing to remember about these traffic statistics is that DR has a HUGE amount of motorcycle use, and that those motorcycles account for most traffic fatalities. If you take out the stats that involve motorcycles, I'm sure you'd find that the statistics aren't all that different than anywhere else. IMO, if you're driving a car, it's not any safer or less safe than driving in Manhattan or any other densely populated place.
    Everyone has to remember that the moto's don't follow ANY laws. Yes, they are a huge amount of fatalities in the DR. But everyone has to remember that they also cause a lot of accidents, that injure other motorist's.

I've spent about a week trying to find a member that had dropped off the radar. I got a call from him tonight. I'm not going to say his name, or tell his story. He'll do that when he's ready. But a moto caused him to wreck his car. He has to go to rehab. Right now, he can't talk, or type correctly. It was great to hear from him, and he has the best attitude. All he kept saying was he was thankful to be alive, and I agree.

So, while we wait for his story, I'd ask that if you pray, please pray for a brother of ISOC. If you don't pray, please just hope for the best for him.

(I'd appreciate it, if a mod left this post in this thread, but also break it off into another thread. So members can wish him the best, and he know's we're thinking about him.)

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information