Thread: Scientists: Haiti, DR may facing big quake period

Thanks
    Thanked 28,089 Times in 7,183 Posts

Scientists: Haiti, DR may facing big quake period

Scientists: Haiti, DR may facing big quake period

By TRENTON DANIEL | Associated Press – Thu, Jan 26, 2012

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) — Haiti and the neighboring Dominican Republic could be in for a period of periodic powerful earthquakes, according to a scientific study released Thursday.

The study says Haiti's 7.0-magnitude earthquake two years ago is likely to be the first of several quakes of a similarly powerful magnitude.

The Jan. 12, 2010, earthquake caused widespread damage in the Haitian capital and surrounding cities. Officials say the disaster killed 314,000 people and toppled thousands of crudely built homes.

"The 2010 Haiti earthquake may mark the beginning of a new cycle of large earthquakes on the Enriquillo fault system after 240 years of seismic quiescence," lead author William Bakun of the U.S. Geological Survey wrote. "The entire Enriquillo fault system appears to be seismically active; Haiti and the Dominican Republic should prepare for future devastating earthquakes."

The authors document a series of four major earthquakes of magnitude 6.6 and higher that struck Hispaniola, the Caribbean island shared by Haiti and the Dominican Republic. The phase began in 1701, near the site of the 2010 quake, and ended in 1770.

There was no evidence of significant earthquake activity on the Enriquillo fault system in the 240 years from 1770 until the 2010 disaster, except for an earthquake in 1860 that likely occurred offshore, the study said.
    The possibility that a newly active period has begun underscores the need for Haiti and the Dominican Republic to focus on building seismic-proof structures, Bakun said.

"Whatever information people have to guide reconstruction efforts in Haiti ... is certainly useful," Bakun said by telephone from Merlo Park, California.

The study appears in the February edition of the Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America.
    Moderate quakes have struck the Dominican Republic in recent weeks but there were no reports of damage.

http://news.yahoo.com/scientists-hai...023226753.html
    DON’T HATE THE PLAYER !!!!! “HATE THE GAME”

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 44,288 Times in 7,548 Posts

Re: Scientists: Haiti, DR may facing big quake period

That did it, I am calling Jet Blue right now...... wonder how Miami Bch is these days??
    The best thing about an ass, is when it is sitting on my face!!

Thanks
    Thanked 29,118 Times in 3,985 Posts

i feel like this should have been posted by sidney.
    www.thatsafunnyshirt.com www.toledotees.com

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to naptime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by naptime View Post
    i feel like this should have been posted by sidney.

it is like someone took his job.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

DMV

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Well, they did have 4 quakes (that I know of) just last week, including 3 pretty much all with the same epicenter (south of Rio San Juan) on the same day. And seismologists have warned that the Santiago area is in danger of a big 'un (7.0 or worse).

So.... Yeah...

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

When I was in Sosua the first week in January I was in Rocky's lying in bed at 5 a.m. in the morning half awake and half asleep and the room began to wobble for about 4 or 5 seconds. Not enough to wake you up if you were sleeping but enough that I wondered was that just an earthquake. 5 minutes later another smaller wobble.

Next day I asked the guys if any of them felt anything and they said it was in the newspaper that it was an earthquake somewhere around Santo Domingo. Since the big one in Haiti they have been coming closer and closer in time.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Thanks

From Sosua News

28 January 2012

Earthquakes felt in Sosúa

In recent days a number of earthquakes were felt in the Puerto Plata region.

The epic centers

January 24 at 4.40 PM, Tuesday afternoon the last earthquake with a magnitude of 5.1 on the Richter scale was felt in Sosúa. The epicenter was located in Nagua. In Sosúa we felt an earthquake twice in a row that lasted a few seconds. In the pool you could see some waves in the water. The kids leaving school at that time panicked an ran out to the street. But for the rest everybody stayed calm and there is no damage found. So no damage to homes, buildings, furniture etc. Many tourists in Casa Marina and Don Andres said they thought it was a nice experience. It wobbled a bit and the water rippled, no reason to worry.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ROVER View Post
    From Sosua News

28 January 2012

Earthquakes felt in Sosúa

In recent days a number of earthquakes were felt in the Puerto Plata region.

Click to see pic The epic centers

January 24 at 4.40 PM, Tuesday afternoon the last earthquake with a magnitude of 5.1 on the Richter scale was felt in Sosúa. The epicenter was located in Nagua. In Sosúa we felt an earthquake twice in a row that lasted a few seconds. In the pool you could see some waves in the water. The kids leaving school at that time panicked an ran out to the street. But for the rest everybody stayed calm and there is no damage found. So no damage to homes, buildings, furniture etc. Many tourists in Casa Marina and Don Andres said they thought it was a nice experience. It wobbled a bit and the water rippled, no reason to worry.
    I felt this earthquake, was sitting in my hotel room at Rockies, on my iPad and watching ESPN, typing an email to my friend... I actually started writing in the email, I think I just felt an earthquake, but quickly hit the backspace key so I didn't get any comments about "is the pre a Chica in your room" or "how many drinks did ou have", about 20 minutes later I came out of the room and Rick says, hey B, did you feel that earthquake!? I was like, oh hh shit, my first one... The next day back in my room, I decided to look It up on the Internet and the first result I had in google was the new earthquake that hit that following day, 4.5 on the scale... Of course everyone was OK thank god,but it was kinda cool after the fact that I felt my first earthquake. I thought u couldn't predict earthquakes, but I guess you can in the DR cause the last week I was there, I heard a lot of gossip about a big one coming!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,287 Times in 716 Posts

I was in La Vega for those quakes last month. I think there were a total of five over two days. For whatever reason, the strength of the quake lessened as it ran up and down the coast but stayed pretty strong as it ran into the Cibao. Had three hairline cracks in three different walls in the second floor duplex where I was staying. really don't want to be in any building in the DR when a big one hits.
    Ah but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now!

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KoKi9290 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,239 Times in 5,923 Posts

I'm on the 4th floor of my house in HAITI right now and I really didn't need to read that

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joeysterr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joeysterr View Post
    I'm on the 4th floor of my house in HAITI right now and I really didn't need to read that
    Weak shaking just felt guys! I feel like killing y'all for the jinx!!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joeysterr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joeysterr For This Useful Post:

Thread Information