Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stolen items at POP airport

Thanks

Smile Re: stolen items at POP airport

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    As a non-carnivore it's the pistachio nuts I would grieve over. Nuts are roughly the same price as gold nuggets in DR supermarkets.

Good idea about the dirty clothes though. An initial glimpse or sniff of my soiled Y-fronts and they won't want to rummage any deeper.
    I grieved over them too for the same reason - I ate one bag and put the others in the cupboard - I neglected to remember that fucking Dominican ants get into everything (i.e. see previous Catastrophe in POP post) - wouldn't you know it - a month later a went for the second bag - the ants had beaten me to both it and a third bag - I debated whether to toss the bags but couldn't bring myself to do it - I put the bags in a plastic bag and put it in the refrigerator - I figured between the cold and the suffication the ants would die - they did but I have not had the nerve to sort through the bags and toss the half eaten nuts to salvage the uneaten ones - I am not making this shit up! - if anyone comes over soon they can see the refrigerated bag for themselves - they can also sort through the nuts if they want - I will give them some as a reward - yes, the uneaten nuts! - I am very generous!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeppsych For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: stolen items at POP airport

Quote Originally Posted by Apos View Post
    recently both Tropic Bob and myself had things stolen while at POP airport.

Tbob had pesos removed from his wallet and i had my camera and work cell phone removed from my bags while going thru the xray machine.

not sure of Tbob's circumstances but for me when my stuff was being examined i was distracted by the security guy once i'd gone thru the metal detector. he did a hand search of my person while my stuff was out of site and behind me.

i'd never had anything stolen like this before so i didn't even think to check. they got my camera and SD card as well as my phone. unfortunately for them both are pretty worthless as my phone does not work in the DR and my camera requires a cradle to charge and transfer pics.

if anyone has a casio Z750 digital they wish to sell at a reasonable price please PM me ...i need a new camera

oh, and i was flying on Continental...claim filed
    Keep us posted, I want to know how long you waited to get your money back, if you do get your money back. This is the same airport I will be using.
    Searching for the ultimate Squirter!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,772 Times in 857 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    I always keep my wallet in my front pocket and use TSA travel locks on my checked bags and carry on.
    Unfortuantely for the checked luggage, TSA locks don't mean anything. Twice, they've cut off the locks (along with the zipper handles) to get in my luggage. It is good advice for the carry-on.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    I also only carry on my laptop bag. The main compartment, which only holds the laptop (which you have to take out before it goes through) is the only unlocked compartment.
    You don't need to take the computer out of the case when leaving the DR.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuba Libre For This Useful Post:

SJG

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

will do, they said 6-8 weeks???
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaSquirt View Post
    Keep us posted, I want to know how long you waited to get your money back, if you do get your money back. This is the same airport I will be using.
    When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beads View Post
    I never bring my wallet to the DR. I only carry my house entry key and no other keys. I keep all money in a pocket going through xray and it never leaves my pocket. I keep all my valuables in carry on.
    For some reason, a few times when I've left via POP (not the other airports), they'e asked me how much cash I have, I answer them, and they ask me to empty my pockets. I never understood why, but given this thread, it's possible they were trying to take some cash.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuba Libre For This Useful Post:

Thanks

recently both Tropic Bob and myself had things stolen while at POP airport.

Tbob had pesos removed from his wallet and i had my camera and work cell phone removed from my bags while going thru the xray machine.

not sure of Tbob's circumstances but for me when my stuff was being examined i was distracted by the security guy once i'd gone thru the metal detector. he did a hand search of my person while my stuff was out of site and behind me.

i'd never had anything stolen like this before so i didn't even think to check. they got my camera and SD card as well as my phone. unfortunately for them both are pretty worthless as my phone does not work in the DR and my camera requires a cradle to charge and transfer pics.

if anyone has a casio Z750 digital they wish to sell at a reasonable price please PM me ...i need a new camera

oh, and i was flying on Continental...claim filed
    Keep us posted as to your claim. My guess is that since it happened with your carry-on, they are going to say it is not their responsiblity.

Thanks

will do, they said 6-8 weeks???
    I hope you did put down the full amount of what you paid for.
    Last year, my new luggage was busted wide open and they told me to mail in forms when I get back home. To my surprise, about a month later I received a check for the full amount of what I paid for the luggage. I still had the receipt at the time. This is why you should keep all your receipts.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

yup...$875 CAD or about $745 USD...there is a $400USD limit per carryon bag but they were in 2 different bags

we'll see
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaSquirt View Post
    I hope you did put down the full amount of what you paid for.
    Last year, my new luggage was busted wide open and they told me to mail in forms when I get back home. To my surprise, about a month later I received a check for the full amount of what I paid for the luggage. I still had the receipt at the time. This is why you should keep all your receipts.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikeppsych View Post
    I grieved over them too for the same reason - I ate one bag and put the others in the cupboard - I neglected to remember that fucking Dominican ants get into everything (i.e. see previous Catastrophe in POP post) - wouldn't you know it - a month later a went for the second bag - the ants had beaten me to both it and a third bag - I debated whether to toss the bags but couldn't bring myself to do it - I put the bags in a plastic bag and put it in the refrigerator - I figured between the cold and the suffication the ants would die - they did but I have not had the nerve to sort through the bags and toss the half eaten nuts to salvage the uneaten ones - I am not making this shit up! - if anyone comes over soon they can see the refrigerated bag for themselves - they can also sort through the nuts if they want - I will give them some as a reward - yes, the uneaten nuts! - I am very generous!!!
    You seem a bit obsessive over this. I am beginning to wonder if the pistachios are the only nuts associated with this thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,772 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    You seem a bit obsessive over this. I am beginning to wonder if the pistachios are the only nuts associated with this thread.
    He acts like he's the only guy to loose his nuts in the DR.... sheesh....
    All things considered, I'd rather be fucking.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,203 Times in 762 Posts

I will be more cautious departing DR next week.
    Thanks for the info.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    For some reason, a few times when I've left via POP (not the other airports), they'e asked me how much cash I have, I answer them, and they ask me to empty my pockets. I never understood why, but given this thread, it's possible they were trying to take some cash.
    I would just say under the amount I am allowed to have or play stupid and not to understand them. Just like here in the states when officials have to deal with people they cant communicate with it gets them frustrated and they will usually push you along. I have done this in the DR several times with beggers, police and other officials who appeared to be asking for handouts. Just pretend you dont understand them and frustrate them until they give up. Put up a communication barrier and dont let it down.

I have even found it to work well with chicas!
    Jimmy owes me a dollar!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,949 Times in 4,636 Posts

this is bad news...but glad it was posted, will take extra safe measures next time traveling.

thanx

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

Expect the problems leaving the DR at POP. POP is usually an in/out process in a few minutes on arrival.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,909 Times in 470 Posts

Same shit happened to me at SDQ last december. I had a camera stolen out of my bag. When I got off the plane and went to pick up my bag, it was in a huge pile of other bags. Had no clue until I reached the hotel! TSA locked bags from now on.

Last edited by Jimmydr; 08-30-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information