Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stolen items at POP airport

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Mad stolen items at POP airport

recently both Tropic Bob and myself had things stolen while at POP airport.

Tbob had pesos removed from his wallet and i had my camera and work cell phone removed from my bags while going thru the xray machine.

not sure of Tbob's circumstances but for me when my stuff was being examined i was distracted by the security guy once i'd gone thru the metal detector. he did a hand search of my person while my stuff was out of site and behind me.

i'd never had anything stolen like this before so i didn't even think to check. they got my camera and SD card as well as my phone. unfortunately for them both are pretty worthless as my phone does not work in the DR and my camera requires a cradle to charge and transfer pics.

if anyone has a casio Z750 digital they wish to sell at a reasonable price please PM me ...i need a new camera

oh, and i was flying on Continental...claim filed
    Last edited by Apos; 02-11-2007 at 10:59 AM.
    When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,131 Times in 1,649 Posts

Re: stolen items at POP airport

Thanks Apos, This was common at SDQ airport last year. Must have rotated the employees. If anyone has the email for the Minister of Tourism please post it. If ever a problem at the airports email his office. It mat not help you but it may help to curb this shit in the future.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to guttaman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guttaman View Post
    Thanks Apos, This was common at SDQ airport last year. Must have rotated the employees. If anyone has the email for the Minister of Tourism please post it. If ever a problem at the airports email his office. It mat not help you but it may help to curb this shit in the future.

I also have the number for the Sosua DA, who knows the higher ups.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,391 Times in 1,158 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apos View Post
    recently both Tropic Bob and myself had things stolen while at POP airport.

Tbob had pesos removed from his wallet and i had my camera and work cell phone removed from my bags while going thru the xray machine.

not sure of Tbob's circumstances but for me when my stuff was being examined i was distracted by the security guy once i'd gone thru the metal detector. he did a hand search of my person while my stuff was out of site and behind me.

i'd never had anything stolen like this before so i didn't even think to check. they got my camera and SD card as well as my phone. unfortunately for them both are pretty worthless as my phone does not work in the DR and my camera requires a cradle to charge and transfer pics.

if anyone has a casio Z750 digital they wish to sell at a reasonable price please PM me ...i need a new camera
    UNBELIEVABLE! The exact same tactic happen to me last Monday - I had my wallet in my back paocket, the guard before the x-ray asked for me to put it in a bin, then sent me through the Walk-thru detector while the bin, and my wallet, went through the x-ray machine. On the other side, a female (cute) security guard motioned me to come over and she asked me some really STUPID questions....didn't even know where Florida was! I believe, they pulled out my pesos during this distraction (is there a hidden opening in the x-ray machine where the guy behind tghe machine can reach in and pull out items?)...anyway did not discover until it was too late and I was upstairs at the gate. Next time, I will put my wallet far down into my backpack or insist on a hand check without a distraction.
    Shuffling and Muff'n

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TropicBob For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Smile Re: stolen items at POP airport

Thats why I hand them $5.00 on the way out I go they check nothing always ,some say I have nothing for them to tax . But I say why go throught the problems ,Put a $5 under your ticket stub for your bag slide it out when you hand it to them he grabs it goodby also stay on the right side near the exit door ...

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RSMMAN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,772 Times in 2,479 Posts

I always keep my wallet in my front pocket and use TSA travel locks on my checked bags and carry on. There is nothing metallic in my wallet and no need for it to go through the x-ray. I also only carry on my laptop bag. The main compartment, which only holds the laptop (which you have to take out before it goes through) is the only unlocked compartment. My cell and camera are in the accesory compartment, which is locked with a TSA lock. If I'm ever flagged for additional screening, I would end up having to unlock the compartment for them and they would go through the contents in front of me. Domestically, TSA has keys for the lock, but I'm not as worried about domestic theft. Never had an issue so far...
    All things considered, I'd rather be fucking.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SJG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RSMMAN View Post
    Thats why I hand them $5.00 on the way out I go they check nothing always ,some say I have nothing for them to tax . But I say why go throught the problems ,Put a $5 under your ticket stub for your bag slide it out when you hand it to them he grabs it goodby also stay on the right side near the exit door ...
    These guys mean on the way back to the states.

I never bring my wallet to the DR. I only carry my house entry key and no other keys. I keep all money in a pocket going through xray and it never leaves my pocket. I keep all my valuables in carry on. I travel with a US and a DR phone and a camera. I pull those items as I will wear both phones on my belt as boarding and exiting the airport as well as keeping ym camera out of the backpack I use for carry on.

I have had POP xray guys ask for money but never try to take anything as of yet.

Check your items thoroughly after going through the xray point.

If something is missing ask for it right there right away. If they pretend to not have it start yelling theif and let everyone else know in line they stole your shit and exactly what they took. Let them bring the police over and tell them you had the item at this point and it went through the xray and now its gone and you want it back.

If you have a camera or camera phone take their picture. Email the airline you took and file a claim. Especially if you get a picture of the guys working the xray machine to send in with your claim.
    Jimmy owes me a dollar!

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Question Re: stolen items at POP airport

Tbob,

what airline were you flying?

i flew continental

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Apos View Post
    Tbob,

what airline were you flying?

i flew continental
    Arent the xray scanner people for all airlines in POP on outbound flights? I dont remember them being airline specific although I could be wrong.

Anyhow I fly Continental also so I will be on lookout!

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

i think you're right...it's just the checked bags and ticket areas that are specific
    Quote Originally Posted by Beads View Post
    Arent the xray scanner people for all airlines in POP on outbound flights? I dont remember them being airline specific although I could be wrong.

Anyhow I fly Continental also so I will be on lookout!

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

welp then everyone is at risk! Beware of the xray machine guys! Someone should make this a sticky or something.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thumbs Up Re: stolen items at POP airport

good call!

thank jimmy
    welp then everyone is at risk! Beware of the xray machine guys! Someone should make this a sticky or something.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,462 Times in 1,057 Posts

We're caught between a rock and a hard place.
    As long as the Dominican government remains corrupt, as it is, this shit will continue to occur.
    The moment it all changes (if that ever happens) and gets cleaned up, other changes will simultaneously change as well, as the DR will just be another Bahamas, with all it's rules and regulations.
    In other words, we won't have the freedom we now have, and will have no use for this place.
    So the only solution (as mentioned above) is to make a sticky out of this info, make sure that all our ISOC members know how to protect themselves from getting robbed at the airports, and continue to enjoy our slice of paradise.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rocky For This Useful Post:

Thanks

And to think I was pissed off when the baggage handlers at POP stole a bag of pistacio nuts and a bag of jelly candy from the outside zipped compartment of my suitcase when I arrived last October - that was the first time I had a problem with theft at that airport - now I will just put dirty clothes in those compartments - we all need to pay much more attention when going or coming since it is clear theft is a problem and they will steal anything!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeppsych For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeppsych View Post
    And to think I was pissed off when the baggage handlers at POP stole a bag of pistacio nuts and a bag of jelly candy from the outside zipped compartment of my suitcase when I arrived last October - that was the first time I had a problem with theft at that airport - now I will just put dirty clothes in those compartments - we all need to pay much more attention when going or coming since it is clear theft is a problem and they will steal anything!
    damn they stole stuff on your way into the country too?

Thanks

damn they stole stuff on your way into the country too?
    I had multiple bags of each in outside compartments because they would not fit inside and because they were relatively cheap - I knew how many of each I had - when I unpacked I realized one of each was missing - probably thought I would not notice!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,131 Times in 1,649 Posts

Actually 9 out of 10 dominicans would perfer a bag of jelly beans over a digital camera.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guttaman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guttaman View Post
    Actually 9 out of 10 dominicans would perfer a bag of jelly beans over a digital camera.
    I know - that's why I had jelly candy and not jelly beans - apparently they do not know the difference!

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeppsych For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikeppsych View Post
    As a non-carnivore it's the pistachio nuts I would grieve over. Nuts are roughly the same price as gold nuggets in DR supermarkets.

Good idea about the dirty clothes though. An initial glimpse or sniff of my soiled Y-fronts and they won't want to rummage any deeper.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,450 Times in 590 Posts

Great thread! Extremely helpful, My life is in my carry on and I never give it a second thought. I will have it locked up tight now!!

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigDave For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information