Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The other Spanish Music?

Thanks
    I prefer bachata, like that alot, I also like some of the merengue, but I have to admit that I cant stand those noisy amateur tipico bands playing on the beach.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 1,733 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Tomas
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond
    I tought Tipico was the old original Dominican Merengue (before it was developed into the modern merengue we know to day) ?
    They still produce new Merengue Tipico, but yes Tipico can also mean "Old School". Again it is more often then not used to describe a genre of merengue but I have heard old Bachata referred to as Tipico.

Aquakate mostly does Merengue Tipico songs, but at the same time they are parody songs too!

Most merengue songs that are not considered tipico are songs that are in the grey areas of bachata (El Jeffrey) or even Salsa (Papi Sanchez) but are still predominantly merengue.
    Huh?

Tipico is old style Merengue that uses an accordian, as the main instrument and is usually quite fast. The more modern Merengues or Merengue de Orchesta ha sthe horn section etc. Jeffery is merengue and not bachata, certainly not tipico.

In santiago, rancho merengue and monte bar usually have tipico groups. Fefita La Grande is usually playing somewhere in the area and she wails on the accordian. . . .saw her at Rancho Merengue in february.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,616 Times in 1,767 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Tomas
    Quote Originally Posted by continentalmike
    It doesn't matter what you're playing.. if your in tune with the music and can dance to it.. make the girls 'meuve esta culita' and you're in good.. that goes for all girls all over the world.. work it on the floor and you're in the bedroom entrance at least..

Works like a charm everytime.. of course I love to do this with thse fine Nubian, Caramel and Latin honies.. they are usually very surprised that a ''white boy" can actually dance like he can... it always gets me the opening I'm looking for..
    It was never worth mentioning in our Weekends thread, but almost every Friday night for the last two months I have been going to a dance studio where they have a "party" every Friday night from 8-12. $10 to get in and all the soft drinks you want, they don't have an alcohol license. It's mostly older married couples and instructors but I never got turned down since it was just dancing. Totally relaxed enviroment, definitely not a meat market.

My skills have increased 10 fold and I know how to dance Bachata now and my Salsa is a 4 on a 1-10 scale.
    This is what I am talking about ... a guy who is serious about improving his skills.. good work DT and keep it up!

Who knows, they might even say about you 'el baile mejor que nosotros' one day

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prtyr2
    Huh?

Tipico is old style Merengue that uses an accordian, as the main instrument and is usually quite fast. The more modern Merengues or Merengue de Orchesta ha sthe horn section etc. Jeffery is merengue and not bachata, certainly not tipico.

In santiago, rancho merengue and monte bar usually have tipico groups. Fefita La Grande is usually playing somewhere in the area and she wails on the accordian. . . .saw her at Rancho Merengue in february.
    Huh? All Merengue bands use an accordian. Tipico or not.

Also what I meant with El Jeffrey is yes he is a merengue performer but since he uses guitars he occasionally ventures into the bachata category. But yes definitely not Tipico.
    Try our new ISOC Features!
    • Create a Countdown Timer for your upcoming trip or a special date here.
    • Print out one of our Money Cheat Sheets so you know much shit costs! here
    • Create Albums for your Pictures here.
    • Join Social Groups to view other's Albums here.
    • Browse our concise & informative Wiki here.
    • Learn Spanish, Check Exchange Rates, or The Weather.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 1,733 Posts
    Actually very few if any Merengue groups have accordians. watch any performances by Milly, Ruby Perez, Fernandito, Johnny Ventura, Sergio Vargas, Los Toros, Eddy Herrera, Tulile etc etc etc and none have accordian.

Yes some merengue groups add bachata style guitar but it is still merengue as the beat is still straight 4/4 Bachata and Salsa are more 6/8 etc

Also many times when a song becomes popular it will be done by both Bachata and Merengue groups. I heard a Merengue version of "Hay Hombe" the other night. There was a time when I would kill if I heard the Bachata version one more time. . . . . .LOL. . . .

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prtyr2
    Actually very few if any Merengue groups have accordians. watch any performances by Milly, Ruby Perez, Fernandito, Johnny Ventura, Sergio Vargas, Los Toros, Eddy Herrera, Tulile etc etc etc and none have accordian.

Yes some merengue groups add bachata style guitar but it is still merengue as the beat is still straight 4/4 Bachata and Salsa are more 6/8 etc

Also many times when a song becomes popular it will be done by both Bachata and Merengue groups. I heard a Merengue version of "Hay Hombe" the other night. There was a time when I would kill if I heard the Bachata version one more time. . . . . .LOL. . . .
    I have never seen the groups mentioned before but something tells me that they probably add an accordion when needed.

By the way just for reference, Merengue is a 2/4 beat, not 4/4.

Thanks

OTHER MUSIC IN DR Besides REG GAY TON.

Sorry JImmy DR I HATE THAT SHIT. IT Makes Latin people look stupid. I know lot of Rock And Heavy Metal Concerts exist in THE DR I think most of the shows happen in Santo Domingo. There Is A Big Movement that has been around the 80s more or less Rock Espaniol plus Rock Bands Singing in Spanish have existed Many years since the 1950s from Peru,Mexico to Cuba. The Ignorant Latinos that promote Crap like Salsa its stupid. There Is Good Folkloric Music. Chile and Peru Has Some Good Folkloric Bands. A Good Site for DR Rock and Metal here is www.justmorerecords.com A Good Sight For Good Metal And Rock Music in Puerto Rico is www.tripirecords.com Here Is A Site for a Good Hard Rock band from THE DR Called JLS www.estudio828.com They Just played a Big Latin Rock Fest in WAShington DC with Spains Old Heavy Metal Band Baron Rojo. There was also I think one or two other DR Rock Bands playing there but I think they were based out of Washington DC And Maryland Area. Too Bad Too Many Gringos Come to THE DR and Can Not enjoy this good Music and keep ignorant. I Can Post More info on this in the future.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts
    perhaps you have posted enough on this topic? to want to go to a country yet hate a fundeMENTAL part of it is silly. you might want to visit washington.
    When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information