Thread: Brazil's new consumer class flocks to US to buy

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,239 Times in 5,923 Posts

Brazil's new consumer class flocks to US to buy

By GISELA SALOMON–2 hours ago

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — The overstuffed bags filling Fernando Mello's luggage cart wobbled precariously as the gym owner made his way home one morning through Rio's international airport. Navigating the terminal, Mello was part of a horde of other Brazilian travelers returning with loot found in the strip malls and discount outlets of southern Florida.
    Mello's girlfriend's freshly purchased Michael Kors handbag in gold lame sat atop four bulging suitcases like a shining crown — a testament to the newfound consumer power of Brazilian travelers, who now spend more per capita than any other visitors to the U.S.
    In fact, Brazilians are spending so much that flights with Brazil's top airline TAM originating in the U.S. have had to carry more fuel to accommodate the dramatically overweight baggage.
    "We left with nothing, just a piece of hand luggage," said the 30-year-old Mello. "We go to the U.S. once a year, stay in great hotels, have a fantastic holiday and shop till we drop and it's still cheaper than shopping in Brazil. It's a no-brainer."
    According to the latest statistics, Brazilians spent $5.9 billion in the U.S. in 2010 in a tsunami of cash that's shifting American immigration practices and boosting economies in hard-hit parts of the U.S. that remain in the doldrums.
    President Barack Obama recently ordered the State Department to speed up the visa application process for tourists coming from Brazil, China and other nations with newly flush consumers.
    After suffering decades of hyperinflation, Brazil has ridden high commodity prices along with some of the world's biggest offshore oil discoveries to expand its economy, lift millions out of poverty and multiply the ranks of the country's deep-pocketed elite.
    The buying binge also shows off the muscle of the country's mushrooming middle class, which has expanded by 40 million people since 2003. That's been bolstered by the growing use of credit cards, bank loans and other forms of consumer credit.
    But it's not just the easy money that has transformed Brazilians into world-class shoppers.
    Stiff tariffs on all imports push the prices of foreign-made goods into the stratosphere at home. And though domestic products are not known for their quality, their prices have risen in recent years as demand is higher than production, making it cheaper to buy nearly everything in the U.S., from clothes to toys and kitchen gear and even soaps and shampoos.
    As a result, Brazilians spend more in the U.S. than visitors from any other nation — around $5,400 per person in 2010, with experts estimating the number growing last year. Japanese tourists followed, spending $4,300 each.
    Unniverson Liborio, a 60-year-old chef based in New York, disembarked at Rio's airport with bags stuffed with hot buys for his grandchildren — baby onesies, a pink plastic Barbie mansion and 700 disposable diapers.
    "I got this all for maybe $300, total," said the Brazilian-born Liborio, who has lived in the U.S. for decades. "Here I couldn't have bought even half the diapers for the same price, and forget about everything else."
    Price discrepancies are particularly pronounced when it comes to luxury goods.
    With the number of millionaire households here forecast to more than triple by 2020, Brazil is widely regarded as the new El Dorado of luxury, and top-tier labels such as Italy's Prada and Bottega Veneta are scrambling to get a foothold.
    Because of the staggering import taxes, however, the high-end handbags, shoes, garments and electronics can end up retailing for several times more here than in Europe or the U.S. The iPhone 4S with 16 gigabytes of memory costs $1,515 without a contract on Apple's Brazilian website. The same phone retails without a contract for $649 on Apple's U.S. website.
    And so it is that hordes of Brazilians swarm Miami's Apple Store while the Girls from Ipanema snap up designer purses on New York's Fifth Avenue.
    Brazilian shoppers are easy to spot — they're the ones at malls with huge suitcases on rollers, spending from store to store until their baggage won't hold any more.
    Aristoteles Guimaraes, a 36-year-old from Sao Paulo, was busy recently at Miami's Sawgrass Mill mall while on a special four-day shopping mission with a budget of $4,000.
    "I came exclusively to buy things for my baby," said Guimaraes, whose wife is seven months pregnant and remained back home. "I came to buy everything. Things here cost on average one-third of what they would in Brazil."
    His big find: an Italian baby stroller that would have run him $1,300 in Sao Paulo but was $350 in the U.S.
    Guimaraes had visited before, with his first trip in 2005, and said he was treated better this time at his hotel and at the shops.
    It should come as no surprise: Still struggling merchants have rejoiced at the business.
    "They spend a lot," said Giovana Ennen, a saleswoman at a luggage store in Miami. "I've sold 16 suitcases to a family of six people."
    Ennen added that she sees some Brazilian clients every six weeks or so and that they leave each time with bags full of merchandise.
    Brazilians' heavy spending has in part helped pave the way for a geopolitical shift in relations between the Latin American giant and the U.S.
    During a recent visit to Disney World, a perennial favorite among Brazilians, Obama unveiled measures aimed at making it faster and easier to obtain tourist visas for citizens of developing countries such as China and Brazil with "rapidly growing economies, large populations and emerging middle classes."
    "More and more of their people can now afford to visit America who couldn't come before," Obama said.
    He said the State Department has been instructed to process 40 percent more visa applications for Brazilian and Chinese nationals this year.
    That expected increase comes on top of the already skyrocketing numbers of U.S. visas granted to Brazilians in recent years, which more than doubled over the past decade to 546,866 in 2010. Official figures for 2011 have not yet been released, but the U.S. Embassy in Brasilia estimates at least 1 million visas were granted last year.
    The U.S. consulate in Sao Paulo last year received more visa applications than any other in the world — around 3,000 a day, according to the U.S. Embassy.
    Business at the three other U.S. consulates in Brazil has been so brisk that Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs Wendy Sherman has said staff there are working double shifts and plans are being examined to send reinforcements.
    Liborio, the New York-based chef, said he's amazed how the tables have turned since the days people flocked to Brazil for cheap clothing and other buys.

"I used to do my shopping here in Brazil, where you could buy four pairs of jeans for the price of one in the U.S.," he said amid a group of sated shoppers at the airport. "Now I come here with tons of luggage and leave with nothing."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...e5506336a53dc4

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to joeysterr For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Re: Brazil's new consumer class flocks to US to buy

What?

They don't come for the cheap Punani?

The funniest part of the story is that 99% of the shit they buy in the US is "made in China". They never mentioned that. The US has turned from the World's biggest producer to the World's biggest shopping mall.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    What?

The funniest part of the story is that 99% of the shit they buy in the US is "made in China". They never mentioned that. The US has turned from the World's biggest producer to the World's biggest shopping mall.
    And that same "made in china" stuff is more expensive if we were to buy it in China. Go figure!!

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

What?

We invented Malls.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,226 Times in 3,260 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    And that same "made in china" stuff is more expensive if we were to buy it in China. Go figure!!
    Funny, China buys the US bad debt, US buys China bad stuff.

So the growth market in America is in the service industry. Next we are going to have people playing music at the airports like every other country that need tourist dollars.
    I'm a Payer not a Player

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DMV For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DMV View Post
    Funny, China buys the US bad debt, US buys China bad stuff.

So the growth market in America is in the service industry. Next we are going to have people playing music at the airports like every other country that need tourist dollars.
    We live in a very different place today. There are those of us traveling 4 or more times a year and others who are skipping meals everyday.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    We live in a very different place today. There are those of us traveling 4 or more times a year and others who are skipping meals everyday.
    That's what scary, the divide is getting wider and at a faster pace

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DMV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

the news keeps saying economy is getting better and less people are unemployed but as a small buisness owner i know for a fact thats just bull shit politics

lots of minimum wage jobs around and lots of pay cuts to keep there jobs in ontario.

i havent raised my door rate since 2006 and therefore all my employees are still at there 2006 pay rate as well but are thankful i havent cut there pay or laid them off as they can be replaced for less money if i wanted them gone.
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

It is and now that I am back at work, I see it and its so funny. one 63 year old guy needs to work 7 more years because he had his second kid at 44 and her college costs $20,000 a year.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,088 Times in 2,301 Posts

I love this Brazilian propaganda. This would be news, if I didnt see it in the 90's, Brazilians always came here to shop, the one that were light enough to come here. Once you arrived in Rio, baggage claim would look like a Dept store,. You would see TV's, printers, PC's, everything but luggage. Brazilians have to finance sneakers. I always thought that was odd, a country with mostly poor people and you would see adds in the window, Adidas, 82x6. So yes, they come here for shopping, they always have. People from the Bahamas do too.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TONYTNT40 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

It is and now that I am back at work, I see it and its so funny. one 63 year old guy needs to work 7 more years because he had his second kid at 44 and her college costs $20,000 a year.
    Proper
    Planning
    Prevents
    Piss
    Poor
    Performance

He had 19 years to save up for her tuition. There's more to his story than meets the eye.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

JDR

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Proper
    Planning
    Prevents
    Piss
    Poor
    Performance

He had 19 years to save up for her tuition. There's more to his story than meets the eye.
    Of course there is. He wanted his wife to stay home and so she did.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

JDR

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joeysterr View Post

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — "We left with nothing, just a piece of hand luggage," said the 30-year-old Mello. "We go to the U.S. once a year, stay in great hotels, have a fantastic holiday and shop till we drop and it's still cheaper than shopping in Brazil. It's a no-brainer."
    According to the latest statistics, Brazilians spent $5.9 billion in the U.S. in 2010 in a tsunami of cash that's shifting American immigration practices and boosting economies in hard-hit parts of the U.S. that remain in the doldrums.
    President Barack Obama recently ordered the State Department to speed up the visa application process for tourists coming from Brazil, China and other nations with newly flush consumers.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...e5506336a53dc4

that is a ton of spending.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

JDR

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joeysterr View Post

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) —
    "More and more of their people can now afford to visit America who couldn't come before," Obama said.
    He said the State Department has been instructed to process 40 percent more visa applications for Brazilian and Chinese nationals this year.
    That expected increase comes on top of the already skyrocketing numbers of U.S. visas granted to Brazilians in recent years, which more than doubled over the past decade to 546,866 in 2010. Official figures for 2011 have not yet been released, but the U.S. Embassy in Brasilia estimates at least 1 million visas were granted last year.
    The U.S. consulate in Sao Paulo last year received more visa applications than any other in the world — around 3,000 a day, according to the U.S. Embassy.
    Business at the three other U.S. consulates in Brazil has been so brisk that Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs Wendy Sherman has said staff there are working double shifts and plans are being examined to send reinforcements.
    Liborio, the New York-based chef, said he's amazed how the tables have turned since the days people flocked to Brazil for cheap clothing and

millions don't need our monger dollars no more.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,076 Posts

Thumbs Down Re: Brazil's new consumer class flocks to US to buy

Our US dollar is becoming worthless as toilet paper around the world!
    millions don't need our monger dollars no more.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pana For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pana View Post
    Our US dollar is becoming worthless as toilet paper around the world!
    ....and now we look like geniuses for buying and travelling when the U$D was riding high. When my Grandsons come of age and share the tales of my adventures they won't believe their eyes. We have enjoyed an era which will not be relived any time soon, even if the recovery does become more than an illusion.

Governments are becoming so desperate for revenue that they're relying more heavily on vice (gambling, liquor sales, legalizing MJ, relaxing marriage laws to accomodate alternative lifestyles, etc.) for revenue and pretty soon there'll be legalized prostitution as well. Unfortunately most of us working stiffs won't be able to afford any of this and will be reduced to driving taxis and moto's and serving as "guides" to visiting tourists from abroad and selling fake Cubans at the beach.

What goes around.....

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,303 Times in 1,242 Posts

Electronics are so overly priced in Brasil! I remember a brasilian girl showing me that for the price of an IPhone at her local mall, it was actually cheaper for her to buy a plane ticket to Florida, stay for two days in a hotel and buy an Iphone here in the states. Now that is fucking crazy!!! Imagine that? Its chepaer to fly to another country 5000 miles away, stay in a hotel and buy the product in america for less money than it would cost to take the bus to the mall right up the street?!!
    Last edited by No Worries; 03-13-2012 at 05:17 PM.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to No Worries For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
    Electronics are so overly priced in Brasil! I remember a brasilian girl showing me that for the price of an IPhone at her local mall, it was actually cheaper for her to buy a plane ticket to Florida, stay for two days in a hotel and buy and Iphone here in the states. Now that is fucking crazy!!! Imagine that? Its chepaer to fly to another country 5000 miles away, stay in a hotel and buy the product in america for less money than it would cost to take the bus to the mall right up the street?!!
    It's because we've been the eye of the "Consumerism" storm since the 60's and other countries have been subsidising their US exports to keep up. The Japanese were coming here in droves in the late 60's and 70's to buy Sony this and Panasonic that because it was cheaper here. Then we created a commercial property bubble which they jumped into with both feet in the '80s and their economy has stagnated since that bubble burst.

Marketeers and banksters produce nothing but their business is far more lucrative than manufacturing ever was. The Brazillians are just the recent "Johnny-come-lately" to fall into the consumerism trap. They will be back to cutting cane again soon. I am now noticing hoards of busloads of Chinese all over Washington, DC. It's 'deja-vu' all over again. When the busloads of Brazillians come, then I'll be impressed, unfortunately the vast majority of Brazillians will never be able to afford the trip.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Marketeers and banksters produce nothing but their business is far more lucrative than manufacturing ever was. The Brazillians are just the recent "Johnny-come-lately" to fall into the consumerism trap.
    YES SIR!!! They've loosen credit so more Brasilians can buy stuff. It going to be interesting seeing them working long hours and many years to pay for their "stuff". Sounds familiar?

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DMV For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

After suffering decades of hyperinflation, Brazil has ridden high commodity prices along with some of the world's biggest offshore oil discoveries to expand its economy, lift millions out of poverty and multiply the ranks of the country's deep-pocketed elite.
    The buying binge also shows off the muscle of the country's mushrooming middle class, which has expanded by 40 million people since 2003. That's been bolstered by the growing use of credit cards, bank loans and other forms of consumer credit.
    But it's not just the easy money that has transformed Brazilians into world-class shoppers.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy For This Useful Post:

JDR

Thread Information