Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luggage Theft on Caribe Tour Bus

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

Luggage Theft on Caribe Tour Bus

Hey fellas. My Dominican gym training partner here told me to be very watchful of my luggage at the stops when taking the bus from SD to Sosua. We all know like in many poor countries sometime Dominicans steal.

Has anyone had any issues with having their luggage stolen while riding on Caribe?

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

Re: Luggage Theft on Caribe Tour Bus

I only bring a carry on bag when traveling on Caribe Tours. And if it doesn't fit up top, i sit in the last seat and place my bag on the floor. The attitude in DR is "no importa", so i make my decisions based on that. So i'd never place my bag below the Bus because there's no security or accountability.

5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,205 Times in 1,563 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    I only bring a carry on bag when traveling on Caribe Tours. And if it doesn't fit up top, i sit in the last seat and place my bag on the floor. The attitude in DR is "no importa", so i make my decisions based on that. So i'd never place my bag below the Bus because there's no security or accountability.
    always take the metro.....bags are ticketed...you can only receive a bag with a ticket...the SD to sousa run only stops once at a rest stop, ST, PP, Sousa... just in case step out at the stops always check to see which bags are off loaded....
    Just another monger!!
    BBCode

Thanks
    Thanked 1,667 Times in 289 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by el toro View Post
    Hey fellas. My Dominican gym training partner here told me to be very watchful of my luggage at the stops when taking the bus from SD to Sosua. We all know like in many poor countries sometime Dominicans steal.

Has anyone had any issues with having their luggage stolen while riding on Caribe?
    Your training partner is correct. i have a favorite that I keep in contact with that takes the
    bus from POP to SD regularly. She put her bags below and got on the bus. When she arrived
    in POP, the bag was gone. Apparently, someone either took it after she put it below or one
    of the first persons who got off the bus took it. She had to hire a lawyer to get the bus
    company to give her some money for her things.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to natmatt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,147 Times in 2,001 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by el toro View Post

I use Caribe Tours all the time and I have never had any problems with anyone stealing my luggage.

Not to say that it couldnt happen but all they would get would be underwear and toothpaste.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WSJ3_Sith_Lord For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,365 Times in 1,005 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Citynights View Post
    always take the metro.....bags are ticketed...you can only receive a bag with a ticket...the SD to sousa run only stops once at a rest stop, ST, PP, Sousa... just in case step out at the stops always check to see which bags are off loaded....

i was going to take caribe tours next week...i guess ill be on metroooo..thnx for the info!
    "Square players get played, pimps get paid, macks persuade"

"Trust me…never buy a depreciating asset. If it drives, flies, floats or f*cks - lease it!"

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chief Papi Lindo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,254 Times in 7,381 Posts

I will also be taking the bus from SD to Sosua next week. I was wondering which one to take. Looks like the Metro would be the better choice. I understand it is a quicker trip (fewer stops than Caribe) and the stop is right there in El Batey.

I saw their schedule from the Metro website that had been posted from a bus thread from sometime back. I see they have an 11:00am departure from SD to Sosua. Is that still current? Has anyone ever been denied a seat due to a soldout bus on that particular run?

I will be going on a Wednesday so I am hoping that there will be seats available.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    I will also be taking the bus from SD to Sosua next week. I was wondering which one to take. Looks like the Metro would be the better choice. I understand it is a quicker trip (fewer stops than Caribe) and the stop is right there in El Batey.

I saw their schedule from the Metro website that had been posted from a bus thread from sometime back. I see they have an 11:00am departure from SD to Sosua. Is that still current? Has anyone ever been denied a seat due to a soldout bus on that particular run?

I will be going on a Wednesday so I am hoping that there will be seats available.
    what day?

http://www.metroserviciosturisticos...._horarios.html

http://caribetours.com.do/index.php/viajes/get_travel

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chief Papi Lindo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,205 Times in 1,563 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post

if you have a chance you can buy a ticket ealier...

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Citynights For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi Guys, I have a question. I will be headed to SD on Thursday, spend the night in Boca Chica (Madejra hotel) then on Friday catch the Metro to Sosua for the weekend (Terra Linda). On Monday I want to catch the Metro back to SD, my flight is leaves at 4:00. What its the latest bus I can catch from Sosua that morning so as to not miss my flight from SD?

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebl1702399 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,254 Times in 7,381 Posts

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ebl1702399 View Post
    Hi Guys, I have a question. I will be headed to SD on Thursday, spend the night in Boca Chica (Madejra hotel) then on Friday catch the Metro to Sosua for the weekend (Terra Linda). On Monday I want to catch the Metro back to SD, my flight is leaves at 4:00. What its the latest bus I can catch from Sosua that morning so as to not miss my flight from SD?
    I think if you are taking Metro Bus service from Sosua, there is only one choice and that is at 8am (their web site inidcates they want you to buy your ticked one half hour in advance). You will see the schedule at the bus station located right in town at the Texaco gas station. If you take Caribe Tours back, their buses leave at 20 minutes past every hour. I believe its about a 4.5 hour ride to the Santo Domingo bus station. The taxi ride is about/approximately $40 to $45 from the station to the airport and I don't know the time. I never did this and perhaps someone else can correct me where I am wrong. Cost for Caribe Tours bus is about 330 pesos and 380 pesos for Metro.

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohmmmm View Post
    I think if you are taking Metro Bus service from Sosua, there is only one choice and that is at 8am (their web site inidcates they want you to buy your ticked one half hour in advance). You will see the schedule at the bus station located right in town at the Texaco gas station. If you take Caribe Tours back, their buses leave at 20 minutes past every hour. I believe its about a 4.5 hour ride to the Santo Domingo bus station. The taxi ride is about/approximately $40 to $45 from the station to the airport and I don't know the time. I never did this and perhaps someone else can correct me where I am wrong. Cost for Caribe Tours bus is about 330 pesos and 380 pesos for Metro.
    there are 3 choices isnt there? unless i am reading it wrong 7, 11 & 4..

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chief Papi Lindo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

I'm taking the bus from SD to Sosua next Saturday (17th) if anyone else happens to be going then.

I like the every hour schedule Caribe offers and it's a cheaper cab ride to Las Americas station.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Appreciate it!

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefJustice View Post
    there are 3 choices isnt there? unless i am reading it wrong 7, 11 & 4..
    His flight leaves at 4pm. It takes at least 4 hours on Metro. If he takes the 11, at best he'll arrive at 3. Then has to take a cab to the airport. Can't make it. So, his only option is the 8am bus.

OP, if your not an early riser, either take a look at Carribe, or head to SD on Sunday. I pushed it to the last day this past year. Then overslept. Missed my flight the next day and had to buy another ticket.

30. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    His flight leaves at 4pm. It takes at least 4 hours on Metro. If he takes the 11, at best he'll arrive at 3. Then has to take a cab to the airport. Can't make it. So, his only option is the 8am bus.

OP, if your not an early riser, either take a look at Carribe, or head to SD on Sunday. I pushed it to the last day this past year. Then overslept. Missed my flight the next day and had to buy another ticket.
    I dropped off a customer at Metro (next to the Texaco gas station in Sosua) this morning. The office there did not open until 8am and the bus left at 8:20 am. The cost was 380 pesos and no extra charge for a large bag. The 11am bus is too late. Don't forget that the roads are often poor and anything mechanical can break down in this country and often does. Also, the bus could get into an accident. One of the downsides of leaving at 8am is that I believe Rocky's doesn't open for breakfast until 8am.

32. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've done the roundtrip Santo Domingo to Sosua probably 5-6 times on Caribe. I usually try to get a seat by the window on the right side to keep an eye on luggage being offloaded, especially in Santiago. Ive never had any problems, also when putting my luggage in, I usually try to put way in the back of luggage bin so somebody has to climb in if they want my bag.

34. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dukes1963 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,226 Times in 3,237 Posts

Ive done the trip on Caribe tours a few times and never had any issues. I can see how someone would steal it though but most people Ive seen already have too many bags with them to go steal another.

I duno

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to El-Rey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 2,554 Posts

Having only ridden the Metro from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo we had a stop in Santiago going and coming. Almost everyone got off the bus if for no other reason than to stretch their legs and grab something to eat/drink. I'd assume someone could get off the bus during the stops and watch to make sure their luggage isn't being removed. Does it not work similarly for Caribe?

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,920 Times in 2,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Almost everyone got off the bus if for no other reason than to stretch their legs and grab something to eat/drink. I'd assume someone could get off the bus during the stops and watch to make sure their luggage isn't being removed. Does it not work similarly for Caribe?
    Yes, and even if you go for a snack you can usually keep an eye on the bus.

And if you plan to watch from the bus, don't sit right over top the luggage compartments cause the doors slide straight up and block the windows. Best place to watch from the bus is to sit on the right side, directly to the rear of the last luggage door.

Allow me to spice up this boring thread with one of Jimmy's old girlfriends....

40. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to eldorob For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information