Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 03/2012 - Best Villas To stay, Close to the Strip

Thanks

Smile 03/2012 - Best Villas To stay, Close to the Strip

Evening Bro's,

I hear alot on many posts, its more cost effective to rent a Villa compared to hotels. Would love to get a list of the top picks of perferred Villas in the area (Perferably walking distance if possible) of the strip in Sosua. Looking to start pricing for a very near future trip and would love your take. Obviously a good spot without any problems and decent security. If you have any pics, that would be great too.....

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dadmac For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

Re: Best Villas To stay, Close to the Strip

The only villa I know about that is actually within walking distance of the strip is the Lion's Pride villa. Never stayed there. But I've heard good things about it.

I believe that most who want to rent a villa and still be reasonably close to the strip rent in either the Hispanola, or the Casa Linda developments. Their websites are www.hispaniolarealestate.com, and www.casalindacity.com. I've stayed in both developments, and it all depends upon your personal preferences.

I've heard that Casa Linda fosters more of a party atmosphere. While Hispaniola encourages its renter to be a lot more discrete.

Both are comparable in cost and quality. Hispaniola is a lot closer to the strip, though still not walking distance IMO.

Be sure to also check vacation rental sites like www.vrbo.com and www.vacationrentals.com. A lot of villa owners will also list their villas on these sites. Renting directly from the owner has it's benefits. You can usually negotiate the price with the owner, and you usually avoid the 16% sales tax that both Hispaniola and Casa Linda will tack onto the rental cost. And you just might find a jewell of a villa that is not located in the bigger communities.

Also realize that the cost savings that result in sharing a villa might be offset by the need to rent a vehicle. Some villa communities, Hispaniola in particular, don't allow motoconchos on the premises. It's a policy geared towards security and noise control. So you usually have to rent a car/scooter if you plan on staying in a villa community.

Since we started doing the villas in Sosua it's been hard to go back to a hotel. The last time I stayed in a hotel in Sosua was in Feb. '10. And that was just because the snowstorm had me stranded in the DR solo.

Anyway, hope that helps. Good luck. Have fun. Write a trip report.

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

http://www.homeaway.com/

I think is actually the best/most comprehensive vacation rental site in the world.

lots of nice places in the Sosua/Cabarete area.

6. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Thumbs Up Re: Best Villas To stay, Close to the Strip

@ DC and deezl - nice posts and links!

Thanks
    When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DCIronman View Post
    The only villa I know about that is actually within walking distance of the strip is the Lion's Pride villa. Never stayed there. But I've heard good things about it.

I believe that most who want to rent a villa and still be reasonably close to the strip rent in either the Hispanola, or the Casa Linda developments. Their websites are www.hispaniolarealestate.com, and www.casalindacity.com. I've stayed in both developments, and it all depends upon your personal preferences.

I've heard that Casa Linda fosters more of a party atmosphere. While Hispaniola encourages its renter to be a lot more discrete.

Both are comparable in cost and quality. Hispaniola is a lot closer to the strip, though still not walking distance IMO.

Be sure to also check vacation rental sites like www.vrbo.com and www.vacationrentals.com. A lot of villa owners will also list their villas on these sites. Renting directly from the owner has it's benefits. You can usually negotiate the price with the owner, and you usually avoid the 16% sales tax that both Hispaniola and Casa Linda will tack onto the rental cost. And you just might find a jewell of a villa that is not located in the bigger communities.

Also realize that the cost savings that result in sharing a villa might be offset by the need to rent a vehicle. Some villa communities, Hispaniola in particular, don't allow motoconchos on the premises. It's a policy geared towards security and noise control. So you usually have to rent a car/scooter if you plan on staying in a villa community.

Since we started doing the villas in Sosua it's been hard to go back to a hotel. The last time I stayed in a hotel in Sosua was in Feb. '10. And that was just because the snowstorm had me stranded in the DR solo.

Anyway, hope that helps. Good luck. Have fun. Write a trip report.
    This is one of the most detailed and accurate answers you could possibly hope to ever get.
    Villas are mostly up across the busy highway usually up a considerable elevation and not in walking distance for normal people. This is where Hispaniola is up way way past the police station and Casa Linda Way way past the highway and even farther up the mountain than the Palms and Tradewinds condos. Very nice up at Casa Linda though and there are a few other dining options up there like Pickaroon and Chile's so you may want to consider that. As DC said nice party atmosphere, I met a girl who actually stayed there (maybe a sponsor WU paid for a couple weeks before he returned lol)
    Just Doing It

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikelodge View Post
    This is one of the most detailed and accurate answers you could possibly hope to ever get.
    Villas are mostly up across the busy highway usually up a considerable elevation and not in walking distance for normal people. This is where Hispaniola is up way way past the police station and Casa Linda Way way past the highway and even farther up the mountain than the Palms and Tradewinds condos. Very nice up at Casa Linda though and there are a few other dining options up there like Pickaroon and Chile's so you may want to consider that. As DC said nice party atmosphere, I met a girl who actually stayed there (maybe a sponsor WU paid for a couple weeks before he returned lol)
    It's really not that far. The entrance to the Hispaniola complex probably isn't any further than say the distance from Merengue to Passions, it's just that the walk up is uphill all the way (I've walked all the way up to the Castle and back and that's a good 1/3 of a mile further up). You can easily walk from the Hispaniola entrance to the strip in less than 10 minutes, it's the walk UP that sucks, but it's definitely walkable.

Casa Linda is much further away down the highway, looking at the map it's probably a good mile and a half from the heart of the strip.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,942 Times in 383 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    It's really not that far. The entrance to the Hispaniola complex probably isn't any further than say the distance from Merengue to Passions, it's just that the walk up is uphill all the way (I've walked all the way up to the Castle and back and that's a good 1/3 of a mile further up). You can easily walk from the Hispaniola entrance to the strip in less than 10 minutes, it's the walk UP that sucks, but it's definitely walkable.

Casa Linda is much further away down the highway, looking at the map it's probably a good mile and a half from the heart of the strip.
    I have walked also--20 feet from the gate of Hispaniola is the street -you can see Classicos from there..

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr World For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    Actually, some of the Hispaniola villas are that far away. It's a pretty big complex, and most of the villas aren't at the entrance. A lot of the nice ones are way at the back of the complex. And they built most of them uphill so they'd have an ocean view. My favorite, #83, is at least a mile from the strip, over half of which is uphill. So I guess you could walk it. The hatian construction workers do it all of the time. I personally refuse to walk that far, uphill and in the carribean sun on my vacation everytime I wanted to hit the strip. And, more importantly, I'd be loathe to ask a chica to do it.

Also take into consideration that the management strongly discourages guys walking their chicas through the complex out of consideration for the many families that live there.

16. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

So, is there really any advantage to renting a villa other than costs? Should I just break my DR cherry at a motel first time around?

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dadmac For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dadmac View Post
    So, is there really any advantage to renting a villa other than costs? Should I just break my DR cherry at a motel first time around?
    Other than the fact that the average villa will be much nicer than any hotel room on the strip, here are my reasons for going the villa route:

1. The comforts of home while on vacation.
    2. More privacy and quiet.
    3. Private pool. (can't stress this one enough) And some units have jacuzzis as well.
    4. Asthetics. Some of these villas are very nice.
    5. Distance from the strip. Sometimes I need to get away from the action in order to relax.
    6. Better security. The guards at Casa Linda keep a written record of problem chicas, and won't evenallow them into the complex. This actually happened to my wingman once. We couldn't even bribe the guard to let the chica in. So my wingman had to go back to the strip and get another. And villa security guards won't give a chica back her cedula unless you're with her.
    7. Chica control. Chicas are less likely to act up if they know they gotta walk past armed guards, then gate security, and then walk a ways just to get a motoconcho.
    8. Did I already mention the private pools?
    9. Most villa communities are close enough to the strip so that going back and forth is not a chore.

These are my reasons. Other guys may have different ones. And some guys prefer the hotels. It's all about your personal preferences.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,805 Times in 275 Posts

Cool Re: Best Villas To stay, Close to the Strip

Quote Originally Posted by DCIronman View Post
    Other than the fact that the average villa will be much nicer than any hotel room on the strip, here are my reasons for going the villa route:

1. The comforts of home while on vacation.
    2. More privacy and quiet.
    3. Private pool. (can't stress this one enough) And some units have jacuzzis as well.
    4. Asthetics. Some of these villas are very nice.
    5. Distance from the strip. Sometimes I need to get away from the action in order to relax.
    6. Better security. The guards at Casa Linda keep a written record of problem chicas, and won't evenallow them into the complex. This actually happened to my wingman once. We couldn't even bribe the guard to let the chica in. So my wingman had to go back to the strip and get another. And villa security guards won't give a chica back her cedula unless you're with her.
    7. Chica control. Chicas are less likely to act up if they know they gotta walk past armed guards, then gate security, and then walk a ways just to get a motoconcho.
    8. Did I already mention the private pools?
    9. Most villa communities are close enough to the strip so that going back and forth is not a chore.

These are my reasons. Other guys may have different ones. And some guys prefer the hotels. It's all about your personal preferences.
    AMEN!! I couldn’t have said it better myself. Once you stay in a nice villa its damn near impossible to go back to mongering in a hotel. Hell anything less than a villa on ur vacation would be uncivilized
    A Woman Like That Can Teach Alot About Ur Self

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Coolie High For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

For your first trip you could check out Lion's Pride. They have one 4 bedroom villa and one 2 bedroom villa. They are right in town and everything is within walking distance, Passions is next door. The two bedroom has a bigger pool than the 4 bedroom. They are both nice.
    Enjoy it while you can.

23. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,575 Times in 1,140 Posts

If your traveling solo, check out my spot for years.... www.condosdominicano.com
    Not a villa, but a step up from a hotel room.
    Laid back, and very affordable.
    NO AC.. could be tough on some gringos
    Great location and offers studios. 1 BR. and 2 BR's.

only a suggestions... enjoy your trip

25. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to balcoach For This Useful Post:

Thanks

okay guys, its booking time for trip #1. Thanks so much for the very important input. Im leaning towards lions but any opinions in Rocky's??

27. The Following User Says Thank You to dadmac For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dadmac View Post
    okay guys, its booking time for trip #1. Thanks so much for the very important input. Im leaning towards lions but any opinions in Rocky's??
    I always stay at Rockys. You cant beat the service. The past few trips, and the upcoming trip, i'm at Sosua Suites. 1 bedroom condos newly remodeled. A one minute walk to the center of town.

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

AND it's located directly across the street from Rocky's so it's really no further to stumble in for breakfast than if you were staying in the room at the back of Rocky's!

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    I always stay at Rockys. You cant beat the service. The past few trips, and the upcoming trip, i'm at Sosua Suites. 1 bedroom condos newly remodeled. A one minute walk to the center of town.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,991 Times in 444 Posts

Aside from renting a car if staying at Casa Linda...are there many taxis they run around there?....what would be the cost of a taxi to and from ?...

thanks in advance!

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GREEKFREAK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GREEKFREAK View Post
    Aside from renting a car if staying at Casa Linda...are there many taxis they run around there?....what would be the cost of a taxi to and from ?...

thanks in advance!
    You would have to have several taxi numbers so you could call them when you needed. I wouldn't pay more than 300 - 400 pesos.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I just recently stayed at Casa Linda without a rental car, we paid a average of 200-300 pesos per trip. You should have at least 3 taxi numbers available to call. Most will come to pick you up in 15 minutes or less.
    Pimps in the front, hoe's in the back, chumps in the trunk...

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chitownpimp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,991 Times in 444 Posts

thanks for the reply its looking like Casa Linda

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information