Thread: Hotel Calypso Review

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

Hotel Calypso Review

After discovering that Hostel El Batey was not so chica friendly, I was directed to Calypso by two kind Dominicans in the street. I knew at that time that Mr. Smooth was going to be checking in there two days later so I figured what the hell I don't know hotels in Boca yet anyway.

Calypso is a fairly big hotel. The property itself looks really nice like the pool area, restaurant area, reception area etc...There is a 24 hour receptionist and security--you will find both sleeping at times at night of course. To their credit they work a lot of long shifts. The room key is attached to a big metal bar and they will stow the key for you while you're out.

The room I stayed in cost me $50 per night. Originally I was quoted $56, but in order to get me to pay for multiple nights up front the price dropped. I was quoted $45 for the next trip should I stay there again. My room was pretty big with the standard dresser, night stands, and closet that you get in DR. There was plenty of room to walk around. The bathroom was clean, in decent shape, and I had no complaints about the water.

The Good:

Attentive staff. Very accomodating and available. Short walk down the hill to the strip and beach. At night it's a safe walk to and from, but with chicas usually you'll catch a moto back. It's a short ride.

- Large Rooms
    - Hot water, water pressure is good
    - Decent amount of TV channels even though I don't watch much TV on vacation.
    - Casas next door, around the corner, behind the building or basically all over within a stone throw distance. I'm not big on them, but they're cool to check out.
    - Free Breakfast. Eggs, cereal, toast, coffee, but you can't order bacon. It's decent, but not great.
    - Very chica friendly, the hold cedulas
    - Very international. The desk staff seem to speak a variety of languages. Seems like no matter where you're from there won't be much of a language barrier there.
    - Housekeeping did a good job washing, drying, and folding my clothes within 2-3 hours.

The Bad:

- Noisy busy reception area. My room was close to the reception desk and while awake I heard everyone coming and going talking with staff. Then again in DR if it's not the moto noise, highway noise or construction noise it's got to something else. I adapted quickly.

- The safe is an old school heavy iron key locking safe. This wasn't a huge deal to me, but I don't like worrying about hiding or loosing an extra key when on vacation.

I would be willing to stay there again, but prefer to pay around $35-$40 per night in DR and believe there are plenty of suitable options at that price range in Boca Chica.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

Re: Hotel Calypso Review

I co-sign on Hotel Calypso.

When in Boca Chica, i switch between Calypso and Hotel Astoria across the street. Can't go wrong with either one.

Great post!!

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,355 Times in 2,669 Posts

when I saw the title I thought wtf? someone stayed for a few days in that place? But I was thinking Sosua, not Boca Chica.
    thanks for the review

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,266 Times in 7,383 Posts

I was there at the same time as el toro stated. A great review and I would add that the pool was pretty decent as well. But, all things considered after what I know now, I won't be going back there when I return to BC. After looking at the El Gaucho Hotel, that will be my base in the future. It is cleaner, newer, better looking rooms, nice bar and staff, and from what I could tell, it was pretty quiet, both within the hotel and reception area and the outside street.

The only positive that Calypso has is it's location relative to the Strip. But I don't mind walking.

A nice post el toro. Well thought out and lots of quality info.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    I was there at the same time as el toro stated. A great review and I would add that the pool was pretty decent as well. But, all things considered after what I know now, I won't be going back there when I return to BC. After looking at the El Gaucho Hotel, that will be my base in the future. It is cleaner, newer, better looking rooms, nice bar and staff, and from what I could tell, it was pretty quiet, both within the hotel and reception area and the outside street.

The only positive that Calypso has is it's location relative to the Strip. But I don't mind walking.

A nice post el toro. Well thought out and lots of quality info.
    I'm staying at El Caucho in June and will let you know how that goes. It does seem like you can relax a little easier and I like the small family kind of feel it seems to have. Plus I think it's cool that it's like a small hotel with a big pool area. That's why despite being small you could throw a big party there. More to come on that.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thread Information