Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Santo Domingo vs POP airport

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,336 Times in 6,473 Posts

Re: Santo Domingo vs POP airport

Quote Originally Posted by tony the tiger View Post
    I have heard of people saying that it is cheaper to fly into Santo Domingo and take a bus to Sosua. Need some info on this. Got a couple friends that dont want to pay $550 to fly into POP when they see flights for $340 to Santo Domingo. How long is the bus ride to Sosua? Does bus pick you up from airport? How often do buses leave? Im assuming cabs can take you also but im guessing its not as convenient. Dont mind me, im just asking so i have all info correct. Also here that there are much prettier women in the capital. Is it worth it to stay there for a night before leaving? Are the nightclubs around or close to airport with hotel access like Sosua? Please advise, help me out fellas.
    It being cheaper depends on how you are going. From Santo Domingo Airport you will need to take a taxi to the bus station. Also a big factor will be what time are you arriving into SDQ? if you are arriving late when the bus isn't running you will need to pay for a hotel. And the taxi will be from your airport to the hotel and then you will probably need another taxi from your hotel to the bus station. And then you will have to spend the hours on the bus riding up to sosua.

I mention taxi alot because the taxi is pretty expensive IMO I remember paying about 50 to 60 usd 1 way to get to my hotel from the airport. In sosua the taxi mafia gets you for about 20 to 25 usd but your instantly there. A taxi is nothing if your in a group though, you easily split those costs and thats nothing. The bus is very inexpensive but it runs on a schedule. If you have to stay at a hotel in SDQ that already takes away from your planned trip to Sosua, unless you don't mind but if its not the plan then that is something you might want to put into your calculations for the trip.

The best deal would be driving or having someone drive you all the way up there. A direct trip. I've never taken the bus before. The distance is a couple of hours, I believe Santiago is about 2 hours away from Sosua and this is farther than that. 5 to 7 hours?? I'd be curious to know the distance myself.

SDQ is NOTTTTTTT like Sosua. You might want to look into SDQ, it actually requires research and Sosua does not really require much research. Very different places IMO.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

yeah, sorry guys. its no way id fly into the DR in 3 and a half hours and sit on a bus for almost 5 hours. Maybe they were thinking Santiago b/c thats a lil closer to Sosua. To save a couple hundred for an hour bus ride might be more worth it but if its a hassle id rather just pay to fly into sosua but im trying to do whats right for them whole group. Thanks for the answers and help, just found some tix on kayak for about $100 cheaper. Just left the DR less than a month ago and already planning my next trip. My life will never be the same.....lol....see you guys there, drinks on me!

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tony the tiger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

I'll just say that the bus just really sucks...

I took it from SD to Sosua last month and it's not something I care to do. Granted, I took Caribe which makes all the stops, is not as nice as Metro I understand and the trip is 5 hours.

Personally, unless I intend to spend a few days in La Capital, BC, Santiago etc...before visiting Sosua, I wouldn't include the bus as part of my vacation again.

With 2 or more other guys I'd split the taxi fare or just fly straight to POP if that's where you want to be near.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,266 Times in 7,383 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by el toro View Post
    I'll just say that the bus just really sucks...

I took it from SD to Sosua last month and it's not something I care to do. Granted, I took Caribe which makes all the stops, is not as nice as Metro I understand and the trip is 5 hours.

Personally, unless I intend to spend a few days in La Capital, BC, Santiago etc...before visiting Sosua, I wouldn't include the bus as part of my vacation again.

With 2 or more other guys I'd split the taxi fare or just fly straight to POP if that's where you want to be near.
    It all depends on how much time you have for a trip. With me, this last trip I flew into SD and out of POP. But I had 2 weeks there and the time to spend. And as far as cost goes, my perspective is coming from the west coast. Normally an SD arrival for me is $200 plus cheaper than POP. But, if I had just a week and my destination was Sosua, then I would pay that extra amount to arrive in POP.

yayow mentioned the 5 hours additional time. Actually, if you include the time it takes getting through the airport after landing, a taxi ride to the bus station then the waiting around for the bus to leave, you may be talking an additional 7 hours or so. After spending 12-13 hours to get to SD, FUCK THAT!!!

I would just pay the higher fare for POP and maybe look to save a bit on that cost by looking at reserving a lower cost hotel.

Something like Piero's. It has been mentioned once or twice that they offer a free hot breakfast!

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,964 Times in 1,262 Posts

Clap Re: Santo Domingo vs POP airport

Was doing some reading, and may have found a loophole to beat them at their own game,. there is also a thread on DR1 from 2010 on it as well.

Buy a One way ticket, and if forced to buy the return ticket at the counter , buy a MORE expensive "REFUNDABLE" return ticket.
    once you land, immediately Cancel the Return ticket.. Then enjoy your stay.. and look for the return online at your leasure. With another Airline is probably a good idea.
    If you "THROW away" a return ticket, IE u dont pay the Change fee, nor show up for your flight, and then simply book another one way home soon thereafter, and you are still in their System, I am reading that they CAN refuse to let you board your flight, and take away your mileage , even Ban you, etc etc..
    Not sure how accurate this is, so maybe someone can confirm.
    what a racket they got.[/QUOTE]

This seems like great advice !

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 Times in 2,195 Posts

Why go so far south when you can go to Santiago?
    I'm back... Heading Back To Green #TurnUpTime

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to givengo440 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    and you could have a lot of fun and fucking while in Sosua with those extra 5 hrs.

Extra 5 hrs of fun and fucking, what country you live in? Has to be the DR
    “I don’t know the question, but sex is definitely the answer.”

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Thanks

i think thats the better question here. is it worth flying into santiago for $200 in savings?

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tony the tiger For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,336 Times in 6,473 Posts

i think thats the better question here. is it worth flying into santiago for $200 in savings?
    Santiago is a better deal than sdq if your going to sosua. Santiago is closer and often times they have numerous flights going in and out of there so you can be more flexible with your travel.

The transportation stuff I mentioned before still applies though.

Its worth it if your in a group and you can split a cab, your free to come in at any time you want. If your planning to take the bus you have to map out your trip according to the bus schedule and factor that in. If your planning to get in late and not immediately commute you have to factor in a hotel night stay.

Pop is the most convenient based on where you want to go. Its not always flexible but it definitely is convenient. Under the right circumstances you could save money flying into sti but that's all depending on how you plan it and your group.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,964 Times in 1,262 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    Was doing some reading, and may have found a loophole to beat them at their own game,. there is also a thread on DR1 from 2010 on it as well.

Buy a One way ticket, and if forced to buy the return ticket at the counter , buy a MORE expensive "REFUNDABLE" return ticket.
    once you land, immediately Cancel the Return ticket.. Then enjoy your stay.. and look for the return online at your leasure. With another Airline is probably a good idea.
    If you "THROW away" a return ticket, IE u dont pay the Change fee, nor show up for your flight, and then simply book another one way home soon thereafter, and you are still in their System, I am reading that they CAN refuse to let you board your flight, and take away your mileage , even Ban you, etc etc..
    Not sure how accurate this is, so maybe someone can confirm.
    what a racket they got.
    This seems like great advice ![/QUOTE]
    I am trying this: scheduling a future very low mileage trip on AA, as a return to the USA.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 2,554 Posts

ttt, here's a post I made in another thread recently. Hope it helps.

Just arrived yesterday, JFK-STI, $389.00. The taxi ride was 20 minutes and $20 from STI to the Caribe Tours station. Taxi driver told me the next time I should take the Metro bus as it's closer to the airport. Don't know if that's true or not, but I think I'll do a little research to find out. Anybody else know?

The cost from Santiago to Puerto Pata was 120 peso. For the uninitiated, you should probably ask which bus is going to Puerto Plata as your departure time arrives cause, unlike Metro, I didn't notice any signs on the busses indicating where they were going.

Presidente pequenas were 65 pesos (gotta get the important shit out of the way first, lol), and the exchange rate at the station was 38.90. If, by chance you might end up having to take a shit, you better be carrying your own toilet paper as there was none in the bathroom. I was really surprised how, considering nothing is ever on time in this country, the busses were pulling in and out right to the minute. Until, of course, it came to my bus to PP. It was 15 minutes late. No big deal, though.

Having only ridden the Metro, which leaves Santiago and doesn't stop until PP, this bus stopped at another station in Santiago (not sure if this is the Santiago Rodriguez station (maybe somebody else would know?). The bus also made a stop at the Texaco station in Imbert, thus, causing me to arrive in PP a little later than I had expected.

As someone else has mentioned elsewhere, the bus was a bit filthier looking than the Metro busses but, hey, you're only paying 120 pesos. I don't kow how in hell they make money.

All in all not a bad trip. Looks like I may start going the STI route. Although I had to awake a couple of hours earlier than I usually do to fly into POP, considering the ridiculous prices they're asking for the POP route these days, STI is looking much better.
    Will you save money flying into STI? Absolutely! Is it worth the minor inconvenience? Absolutely. In fact, I didn't find it to be that inconvenient at all. At the time I got the above flight it was with Jet Blue, JFK-STI, for $389. On the other hand, there was an available flight on United from EWR-POP for $711.00, IIRC. Now, when I look for flights to the DR I automatically look for the flights to STI.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post

Will you save money flying into STI? Absolutely! Is it worth the minor inconvenience? Absolutely. In fact, I didn't find it to be that inconvenient at all. At the time I got the above flight it was with Jet Blue, JFK-STI, for $389. On the other hand, there was an available flight on United from EWR-POP for $711.00, IIRC. Now, when I look for flights to the DR I automatically look for the flights to STI.
    Every flight for me, that comes into STI, comes in at 9pm at the earliest. Delta came in at over $800, and arrived at 1am. Won't fly Spirit to STI anymore.

For the extra $200, I'll fly directly to POP for the convienence. I don't get to fly out of NYC though.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    Every flight for me, that comes into STI, comes in at 9pm at the earliest. Delta came in at over $800, and arrived at 1am. Won't fly Spirit to STI anymore.

For the extra $200, I'll fly directly to POP for the convienence. I don't get to fly out of NYC though.
    Yeah, I've seen those later flight arrivals into STI and I wouldn't do it either. You either have to pay $80-100 for a taxi to POP-Sosua, or pay to stay the night in Santiago and catch the bus the next morning. But, flying from JFK, we have the benefit of a number of flight schedule options.

Right now for me Jet Blue and Delta have the best flight times and prices. One day I compared prices between Jet Blue and United for the same days and Jet Blue was roughly $548, IIRC, and United was a little over $1,100. After arriving to PP I can buy alot of convenience to make up for the inconvenience with that price difference.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

(coming from and flying back to NYC)
    Yes it is,and imo its a much nicer airport to get in and out of all the way around.
    If you are running late at POP and a bus load of AI's gets there ahead of you, its no fun at all, that never happens at STI. You can check in almost always under 5 mins. If you choose and evening flight back the 2 hour bus ride to Sti is really no trouble at all. Once you try this airport you may even prefer it over POP.
    The only negative and its HUGE one for me, you dont get to see that nice Beach and Ocean View, landing and departing. I do miss that a lot.
    Also on STI flights you meet a LOT of cute NYC Dominicanas, with real Jobs in NYC, who are always Chatty and friendly, and if they like you, may just set you up with a cousin or auntie . I sat next to 2 College Chicas once, who were SMOKIN hot, and then their Aunt came by to chat, all dolled up , she was even Hotter. It happens, but IMO never on a flight to POP.
    Just make sure you tell them you are on a "business" trip and dress in slacks and shirt accordingly. SO its not just about the savings, IMO.

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

thx for the info guys....

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tony the tiger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post

That's a big difference I understand why it is cheaper to STI or SDQ, but that is a huge difference, why is that?? Is it because so many going to POP can be classified as the weekend warriors that go to Sosua, and the country, airlines are trying to take advantage of the weekend warriors just like the chicas tend to do?
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    That's a big difference I understand why it is cheaper to STI or SDQ, but that is a huge difference, why is that?? Is it because so many going to POP can be classified as the weekend warriors that go to Sosua, and the country, airlines are trying to take advantage of the weekend warriors just like the chicas tend to do?

There's just not as many flights going into POP. So therefore, it's almost always sold out. Delta doesn't even fly into POP anymore.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've often heard that taxes and airport fees are higher at POP airport than STI/SDQ, but I can't believe that they are that significantly higher to make that much of a difference in price.

I used to always fly Continental into POP as they were simply the best thing going in terms of pricing and schedule. I'm assuming that, at least with respect to United, just as most companies do when they buy out another, they immediately raise prices in an effort to recoup their capital costs. I certainly noticed an increase in fares with United once the deal was done.

No problem for me, though. I always though flying into/out of STI would be inconvenient. After two trips I found that it really isn't inconvenient at all, and that I actually enjoyed it. Now, SDQ would be a different story.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

I still dont get why its cheaper to fly from ny to pop then mia to pop.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I think the question is how comfortable are you in the country vs how much is the extra cost. My first trip, holy crap that is over 8 years ago, 3 buddies and I flew to SDQ to save the money - the travel experience, a cab ride through the mountain trail at night while it was raining, made me wish I spoke enough spanish to get a helicopter out. Fortunately, my first bbbj from Soranji made me reconsider. Since, then I only fly into the capital if I need to be in the capital. That is despite the fact that I now speak pretty good spanglish, have a house, apartment, and a business investment in the DR. If you dont know where you are or how to get things accomplished, not only could you end up spending more money, but it can be a real pain in the ass. Having said all that, you are likely to do whatever you were going to do in the first place. Enjoy yourself

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trickin069 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information