Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: United fares to the DR

Thanks
    Thanked 4,909 Times in 1,445 Posts

Re: United fares to the DR

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post

I see you're from Boston. I, too, used to do the PVD-EWR-POP route back in my earlier days, until CO changed the itinerary and you'd have to fly from PVD to EWR about 6AM, stay in Newark overnight and fly on to POP the NEXT day. Made no damned sense. I started just driving down to EWR and flying direct to POP from there.

Well not exactly from Boston more like 50 miles away from Boston, I am in New Bedford the whaling city, so Providence is alot closer 25 minute drive versus 1 hour to Boston if the traffic is good.
    Putas are like lottery tickets, sometimes you get a winner sometimes you get a loser.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vewdew For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,561 Times in 1,572 Posts

Damn, those DR flight prices are looking crazy. I guess there goes my trip to Sosua. Flying to STI 2am then catching a cab to Sosua is too much work for me.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rahsta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rahsta View Post
    Damn, those DR flight prices are looking crazy. I guess there goes my trip to Sosua. Flying to STI 2am then catching a cab to Sosua is too much work for me.
    that's probably what i'm gonna wind up doing. except i'll probably get a room at matum when i get in and hit the disco, if i find something i like - great, if not - no worries. i may even spend a couple nights in santiago just to mix things up.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,517 Times in 10,205 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vewdew View Post
    Well not exactly from Boston more like 50 miles away from Boston, I am in New Bedford the whaling city, so Providence is alot closer 25 minute drive versus 1 hour to Boston if the traffic is good.
    The home of one my favorite things,,,,,,,,Portugese Sweet Bread !!
    " Expect The Best, Be Prepared For The Worst, Fuck What Others Think, And Do Your Own Thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XXX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,909 Times in 1,445 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xmendave View Post
    The home of one my favorite things,,,,,,,,Portugese Sweet Bread !!
    You got that right, and the good one to.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to vewdew For This Useful Post:

XXX

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,920 Times in 2,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    that's probably what i'm gonna wind up doing. except i'll probably get a room at matum when i get in and hit the disco, if i find something i like - great, if not - no worries. i may even spend a couple nights in santiago just to mix things up.
    I like Matum too, but is there anything closer to the airport that's also a little cheaper? Getting in at two, all I need is a bed, no chicas.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eldorob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eldorob View Post
    I like Matum too, but is there anything closer to the airport that's also a little cheaper? Getting in at two, all I need is a bed, no chicas.
    About 10 cabanas in the area. And you can negociate a good price at that time of the morning. Although you'll have to pay the $20 cab fare.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 58,341 Times in 10,416 Posts

United gets to be the bad boy airlines for a couple of days......they stopped allowing familys with children to jump the line.You know..when they let the parents and kids get on with the impaired.
    They basically said go fuck yourself and stand in line with the rest of the flunkies!!!!!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jacknback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jacknback View Post
    United gets to be the bad boy airlines for a couple of days......they stopped allowing familys with children to jump the line.You know..when they let the parents and kids get on with the impaired.
    They basically said go fuck yourself and stand in line with the rest of the flunkies!!!!!
    That's right. If you ain't blind, crippled, really old etc....yo ass can wait.LOL. And may God bless those that are physically challenged.

I don't know what's worse though actually letting the family with small kids board first and delaying the rest of us from boarding or having them board with us and still delay us and the flight while they put their extra shit away. At least when they board with us they can't steal all the overhead storage before we get on the plane.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,391 Times in 1,158 Posts

Having since relocated from Tampa to Portland,Oregon...I'm screwed with the airfares. When I checked PDX to POP last week it was over $1000...hell, I may as hell turn about face and head to to "Sosua on Steriods" (Angeles City) for $200 more!

:-( This may be a sign that the Christian Conservative Right Movement now owns the airlines (e.g. Marriott Hotels)!!!
    Shuffling and Muff'n

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TropicBob For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,336 Times in 6,473 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TropicBob View Post
    Having since relocated from Tampa to Portland,Oregon...I'm screwed with the airfares. When I checked PDX to POP last week it was over $1000...hell, I may as hell turn about face and head to to "Sosua on Steriods" (Angeles City) for $200 more!

:-( This may be a sign that the Christian Conservative Right Movement now owns the airlines (e.g. Marriott Hotels)!!!
    Their flights to ac are from what I can tell competitive with other ones I seen. Pdx to pop is a long trip. I can imagine they get you real goood for coming from out west.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

For those interested:

For September every week after the first week is now $516, down from the high 6-$700 range.

Hopefully another week it'll be around $400 something and then I'll book.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by el toro View Post
    For those interested:

For September every week after the first week is now $516, down from the high 6-$700 range.

Hopefully another week it'll be around $400 something and then I'll book.
    yup. Unfortunately United's EWR-POP route drops from daily to weekly in September (Saturday flights only) so not only is it unlikely we'll see a real fare drop since they have so few flights to fill, you can't even get a full weekend in if you stay less than 2 weeks.

In the meantime, Delta & JetBlue are offering $299 R/T fares to Santiago every single day of the month...

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

yup. Unfortunately United's EWR-POP route drops from daily to weekly in September (Saturday flights only) so not only is it unlikely we'll see a real fare drop since they have so few flights to fill, you can't even get a full weekend in if you stay less than 2 weeks.

In the meantime, Delta & JetBlue are offering $299 R/T fares to Santiago every single day of the month...
    exactly ! ... and thats what i said in the other thread.. How much lower than $299 is anyone expecting ??
    why would u wait and take a chance just to fly into POP ? U got a sure thing at $299
    . if you going in Sept, just book it already.. the whole month is wide open..every single day.. its a no brainer.
    And the flights are NICE ones, Early AM departure, arrive before noon.. they are not some crap arrive at 3 am flights.

if Anyone can beat $299, i sure would like to see that one.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    exactly ! ... and thats what i said in the other thread.. How much lower than $299 is anyone expecting ??
    why would u wait and take a chance just to fly into POP ? U got a sure thing at $299
    . if you going in Sept, just book it already.. the whole month is wide open..every single day.. its a no brainer.
    And the flights are NICE ones, Early AM departure, arrive before noon.. they are not some crap arrive at 3 am flights.

if Anyone can beat $299, i sure would like to see that one.
    United EWR to POP has always worked out for me the last few Septembers since I've been going to DR.

If I can't get the R/T price I want in a week or two I will fly JB out of JFK and just return on United to POP. The convenience to home on the return is important to me. I've done well buying separate one-way tickets a few times. I have the flexibility of days and good prices this way usually. I just waited one time too late to book the return and it cost me a lot, but won't let that happen this time.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,336 Times in 6,473 Posts

It'll be hard to beat 299. Taxes rt are 134 so 299 fares mean your getting each way for less than 100. These are some of the best fare deals I've seen in a while. If anyone has a better price it won't be too much better than this.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

this guy can't even think about flying into POP cause it's so expensive just from Tampa, FL or Orlando, FL......
    and no this guy isn't gonna go the STI route.......that 3AM chit is for the birds
    best airfare to monger places for this guy is first Montego Bay, Jamaica, Panama City and then Santo Domingo......
    all inexpensive flights and good schedules.......someday mi will bite the bullet and fly to Meddy

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,266 Times in 7,383 Posts

$300 fucking dollars round trip to the DR from NYC?????? Jeezusss! When I got my ticket for Sept. back in early March, AA was $685 from SF. I went ahead and paid another $27 for the extra leg room seats in the front of the coach section for the SF-MIA leg. Thats over a 5 hour flight. It was the best I could do.

For all you New York guys, it's your world. The rest of us are just living in it!

.....toro, get yer ass down there. Just book it already. Quit fucking the dog!

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm on my way. Just working out a few things on this end.

I'm with Seaweed on the 3am thing. I wouldn't mind arriving at 3am--I could still enjoy the night or start the day early--however you want to call it. I couldn't imaging leaving at 3am to come home--I enjoy that last night too much. I like getting my morning session at a comfortable waking hour and then breakfast before heading to the airport when I'm leaving. Plus the extra distance and taxi all add up in either time or money.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm not proud of it, but after stalking flight prices, contemplating flying in and out of STI from EWR or JFK and every other possible scenerio, I just bit the bullet and paid the $546 for next month from EWR to POP. It just is what it is with the fares right now.

After a lot of thought I decided I'd rather eat the high fare now so I can know that I only HAVE to pay for my room and pussy upon arrival instead of saving on the fare and have to be nickeled and dimed on taxis, buses, and trains the arrival and departure day of my trip.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information