2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Happyhorn For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

Re: Best Airlines for Redeeming Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Happyhorn View Post
    I would of loved to known where Spirit Airlines would have ranked on this, but they were probably disqualified due to a shitty phone connection, or not understanding some Indian dude.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,213 Times in 1,597 Posts

With most airlines your wasting your time earning points.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Happyhorn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,336 Times in 6,473 Posts

Yuppp jetblue has points now like the article described and its horrible. With higher fares u need more points.

American is ranked low but i booked an award flight with them in march to manila. It was economy and although i had to call a rep to book it wasnt too bad.

Also all the flights on the award i booked were cathay pacific which is ranked higher than aa is but is also a one world partner.

Im sure united has good availability too since they have prtners in star alliance to asist them like Cathay Pacific does with aa.

I hope they never change to ppints. That'll be the beginning of the end when that happens.
    Last edited by Dave Diaz; 05-19-2012 at 03:16 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

Air Canada is terrible,to redeem points with. they charge a fuel surcharge on all international flights.

Toronto to bogota is 50000 points plus $430, but to redeem on a star alliance partner is 50000 plus $130.

it is always best to use star alliance partners.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

earning points may suck as i always book the cheapest flight possible but then because i am star alliance gold i can use my e-credits for free upgrades.

this year alone i have gotten free upgrades on both legs of my jan kenya trip and on all of my thailand trips so i hope star alliance keeps the system they have
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

When I used to fly on business those air miles meant something to me. Not so much anymore. I'm settling into a 3-4 trip a year schedule with more days of travel. I don't take longer flights anymore so I guess I'm down to an award trip every couple years. I gave away my last two AA award trips on companion flights. The last one I actually took was US Airways to St Maarten for $56 (during Carnaval week). That was the last time I flew on US Airways.

My next trip to DR (in 3 days) will put me over 16K when I get back. I may just buy that last 1.5K miles and plan a trip to JA or Aruba at the end of August. Then again maybe someone I know will need the miles and I just give them away again. I'm far more concerned with ticket prices than award miles.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BorisDaBulletDodger View Post
    I would of loved to known where Spirit Airlines would have ranked on this, but they were probably disqualified due to a shitty phone connection, or not understanding some Indian dude.
    that is the first thing I looked for was Spirit......but they aren't even on the list.........
    I bet the CEO of Spirit had a huge sigh of relief when he saw they weren't even on the list......lol
    then I noticed that it said "Global" flying........guess Spirit isn't considered quite "global" yet......lol

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWeed View Post
    that is the first thing I looked for was Spirit......but they aren't even on the list.........
    I bet the CEO of Spirit had a huge sigh of relief when he saw they weren't even on the list......lol
    then I noticed that it said "Global" flying........guess Spirit isn't considered quite "global" yet......lol
    and they never will be - if they're smart.
    pretty sure the regionals (spirit, jetblue, southwest, airtran, etc) all made money the last few years, the majors all got hammered.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,744 Times in 721 Posts

Didnt know where to post this so ill just post it here in this mileage thread. my brother has a neighbor who has been on disability for many years and he tells my brother this is what he does to get flights. He will buy a tv at walmart for 1000+ dollars and take it home and leave it unopened. he pays the CC bill at the end of the month then waits 30 or so days for his points to post to the airline, then he brings the tv back to walmart who has a 90 day return policy and gets his money back.. just an idea LOL

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to voltage69 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voltage69 View Post
    Didnt know where to post this so ill just post it here in this mileage thread. my brother has a neighbor who has been on disability for many years and he tells my brother this is what he does to get flights. He will buy a tv at walmart for 1000+ dollars and take it home and leave it unopened. he pays the CC bill at the end of the month then waits 30 or so days for his points to post to the airline, then he brings the tv back to walmart who has a 90 day return policy and gets his money back.. just an idea LOL
    If I am not mistaken, Walmart has a 90 day return policy Does he have to use the miles right away or do they get adjusted later? WTF may as well try it with my JB amex card

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I've had rewarded miles taken away from me because of a return. Though I didn't wait 30 days to return the item it was defective.

Thanks for bringing this thread backk

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevy View Post
    Air Canada is terrible,to redeem points with. they charge a fuel surcharge on all international flights.

Toronto to bogota is 50000 points plus $430, but to redeem on a star alliance partner is 50000 plus $130.

it is always best to use star alliance partners.
    Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    earning points may suck as i always book the cheapest flight possible but then because i am star alliance gold i can use my e-credits for free upgrades.

this year alone i have gotten free upgrades on both legs of my jan kenya trip and on all of my thailand trips so i hope star alliance keeps the system they have
    Air canada does suck. I saw it costs like 90,000 points to go to asia from canada. Even aa is at 70,000 and united is at 65,000 rt. And I don't think I saw taxes over 100 usd on economy. Great chart too when your looking for an award flight on the website.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

i think the guy told him once the miles are posted they cant take em back.. if you return an item in the same month the charge is going to come off your card and the card wont send the points to the airline. but once theyre sent.. thats it

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to voltage69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

oh yeah i think he has to wait 2 months total to get the miles posted .. the first month he pays the bill and then the CC co usually posts the points a month later after your minimum balance due is paid. if i was going to try it though i would pay in full so i dont get charged interest on 1000 or so bucks for the month then let them refund me the money.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to voltage69 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information