Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cellphones

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts
    does anyone know if Mav is still selling phones for $30-$35??

Thanks
    It looks like my deal to get my phone card programed has fell through, so I am going to look into renting one as well.

Thanks
    Does anyone know the hours or days the place is open?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts
    as i recall it was open from about 9 or 10 in the morning untill atleast 6 and maybe 8 monday to friday and till about 5 or 6 on saturday. don't think it is open on sunday.

pretty loose with my recall i know

Roger is often at Rocky's for breakfast so you can possibly get some info from him there. Mav too when he's in town.
    When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psriches
    does anyone know if Mav is still selling phones for $30-$35??
    they have phones from around 700 pesos and up. I think Torontoguy37 bought one for around that.

Thanks
    ya i bought one for 700 rd .. in sept i figured this was the best way to go !!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts
    what kind of phone was it and how did it work?

Thanks
    it was a cheap Nokia but it worked fine ... went threw alot of minutes though!!

Thanks
    Thanked 22,294 Times in 3,816 Posts

I just bought a cellphone for $12.00

Hey Guys,

Last Friday (7 Oct 2005) I bought a used cellphone at Carribbean Communications in Sosua (On Pedro Clisante, next to Suzanna Cafe, across the street from Dominos Bar).

They had a variety of used cellphones there. All were between 600-800 pesos. But according to the sales girl, all came with "at least a 250 peso phone card already loaded".

I bought a used Verizon Flip Phone for 800 Pesos ($25.35 US at the exchange rate of 31.55 that day). It actually already had 422pesos worth of time on it, so my "real" cost was only $11.98 US).

While at the store they switched the screen displays to english. The phone worked fine. I used it for calls within the DR in Sosua, Puerto Plata and Santiago and always had a strong signal. It also worked calling back to NY. It came with a travel charger.

No activation fee's or any other charges, and the phone number is mine permanently. All I have to do is reload it with Verizon or Mas phone cards when the balance runs low.

FYI, the salesgirls name was "Argentina" and she spoke fairly good english.

Thanks
    Does anyone know... if you have an older cingular or verizon phone... which is better to activate it - Orange or Carribean Comm?

Thanks

Where is Orange in Sosua

I have an unlocked GSM phone that I use when mongering in SEA & Brazil. I am planning to use it in DR. WHere is Orange located in Sosua and what do I need to bring with me to get the SIM and activate service? How long does it take?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,718 Times in 3,229 Posts

Re: I just bought a cellphone for $12.00

Quote Originally Posted by ErikS
    Hey Guys,

Last Friday (7 Oct 2005) I bought a used cellphone at Carribbean Communications in Sosua (On Pedro Clisante, next to Suzanna Cafe, across the street from Dominos Bar).

They had a variety of used cellphones there. All were between 600-800 pesos. But according to the sales girl, all came with "at least a 250 peso phone card already loaded".

I bought a used Verizon Flip Phone for 800 Pesos ($25.35 US at the exchange rate of 31.55 that day). It actually already had 422pesos worth of time on it, so my "real" cost was only $11.98 US).

While at the store they switched the screen displays to english. The phone worked fine. I used it for calls within the DR in Sosua, Puerto Plata and Santiago and always had a strong signal. It also worked calling back to NY. It came with a travel charger.

No activation fee's or any other charges, and the phone number is mine permanently. All I have to do is reload it with Verizon or Mas phone cards when the balance runs low.

I'm going to buy another phone when I'm down there next week......I have one that I bought down there last time, but I want a less bulky one, maybe they'll take trade ins.......
    C.I.S.O.C.
    Cuba.....Cigars and beautiful chicas

One life I'm gonna live it up....Judas Priest, You Got Another Thing Coming

Thanks

Re: I just bought a cellphone for $12.00

Quote Originally Posted by Learningman
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikS
    Hey Guys,

I'm going to buy another phone when I'm down there next week......I have one that I bought down there last time, but I want a less bulky one, maybe they'll take trade ins.......
    Thhis is good to know.... what happens when you bring an unlocked phone with you? Just buy a local SIM card and off you go???

Thanks
    Thanked 22,294 Times in 3,816 Posts
    Caribbean Communications (in Plaza Allegre next to Cafe Suzanna) had closed last week and then had a "Grand Reopening" as a new Verizon store.

There is also an Orange store in Sosua in the same Plaza that M&M Massage is in (next to Banco Popular, by Baileys Rest.).

Thanks
    Thanked 14,718 Times in 3,229 Posts

Need a cell phone...

Maybe one of you guys can help me out here......I'm looking to buy a GSM unlocked tri-band cellphone......the DR operates GSM 1800/1900 and Cuba GSM 900, it's too late for me to buy a phone through e-bay right now, because it won't arrive before I leave for DR in a week and a half...plus I live in Canada and of course they need a confirmed shipping address which always seems a diffucult thing to do through paypal it seems. I have a shipping address in Niagara Falls, New York, but they won't deliver it there because it doesn't match my credit card address. Right after I get back from the DR, I'm leaving for Havana, and a tri-band phone would be nice to have.

So has anyone got one for sale, or knows a way I can get one quickly, or can I buy one at a reasonable price in the DR.?? 8)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information