Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car rental in POP - Is it too much trouble?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 230 Posts

Question Car rental in POP - Is it too much trouble?

Hey guys,
    I am planning for a trip to BB's in the fall and would like information from you vet's that have experience in car rental
    at POP. I plan to pickup & return at airport.
    My main concern is it worth the cost of the fee and how easy is it to be overcharged?
    I would like to have the freedom of being able to get up and go whenever I wish and play tourist in POP and local area locations.
    What do ya think? I will be staying 4-5 days
    Any information, suggestions and advise will be truly welcomed and appreciated!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stalino55 For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 145 Posts

Re: Car rental in POP - Is it too much trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by stalino55 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I am planning for a trip to BB's in the fall and would like information from you vet's that have experience in car rental
    at POP. I plan to pickup & return at airport.
    My main concern is it worth the cost of the fee and how easy is it to be overcharged?
    I would like to have the freedom of being able to get up and go whenever I wish and play tourist in POP and local area locations.
    What do ya think? I will be staying 4-5 days
    Any information, suggestions and advise will be truly welcomed and appreciated!
    I don't really understand what you are saying.. what do you mean overcharge?
    I rented last week and I paid $219 for 5 days.
    I made a reservation through internet website ( any website, they are pretty much the same)...

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to culoamaro For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by culoamaro View Post
    I don't really understand what you are saying.. what do you mean overcharge?
    I rented last week and I paid $219 for 5 days.
    I made a reservation through internet website ( any website, they are pretty much the same)...
    Howdy Culoamaro,
    I had previously read that there were some additional charges on the bill when the renter showed up to pick up the car.
    Your price was for a midsize with liability/collison etc insurance, right? I have been checking the net for comparison shopping, where did you get yours?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stalino55 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

gas is 200 pesos a gallon btw

i am assumming you wamt to go back and forth to sosua.

how many people are splitting the bill?

i hope you realize you will be gettimg a scratched up dented car take pictures of all damage upon inspection

renting a car isnt too expensive. the insurance costs more then the car. if you have rental insurance on credit cards it will be cheaper. i use amex.

you can read my resume and report of my driving e periences

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks Boris,
    Will read your report, I assume it is in this section.

Best regards!

Quote Originally Posted by BorisDaBulletDodger View Post
    gas is 200 pesos a gallon btw

i am assumming you wamt to go back and forth to sosua.

how many people are splitting the bill?

i hope you realize you will be gettimg a scratched up dented car take pictures of all damage upon inspection

renting a car isnt too expensive. the insurance costs more then the car. if you have rental insurance on credit cards it will be cheaper. i use amex.

you can read my resume and report of my driving e periences

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stalino55 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

I dont think I ever rented from POP airport, but I rented from STI a few times and drove to POP/Sosua, and never had an issue... I went through Alamo/National, reserved back at home on the internet, brought my printed receipt to the counter and got my car for the price I paid... I always went compact and most of the time, they only had a midsize so they upgraded me for free..

two questions for you... Do you know your way around or plan on getting directions from people around? And if you dont know your way around, do you speak spanish enough to figure out how to get where you are going if you get lost and ask a local for directions "in spanish"??? Also, are you a great driver that can handle sick drunk drivers all around you? Cause thats DR if you didnt know... I live in NY and drive in the city alot, its crazy but got nothing on puerto plata drivers...

Also, I never rented a car that was busted up with dings and dents... They were always in good shape, or close to good shape...

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for the rental information on Alamo/National.
    Both speak & read spanish. Plan on taking a (?) chica from BB's for day excursions, visit the usual tourist attractions and what she/they may recommend. Have driven in Mexico cities, should be the same crazy attitudes as there?

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBeas View Post
    I dont think I ever rented from POP airport, but I rented from STI a few times and drove to POP/Sosua, and never had an issue... I went through Alamo/National, reserved back at home on the internet, brought my printed receipt to the counter and got my car for the price I paid... I always went compact and most of the time, they only had a midsize so they upgraded me for free..

two questions for you... Do you know your way around or plan on getting directions from people around? And if you dont know your way around, do you speak spanish enough to figure out how to get where you are going if you get lost and ask a local for directions "in spanish"??? Also, are you a great driver that can handle sick drunk drivers all around you? Cause thats DR if you didnt know... I live in NY and drive in the city alot, its crazy but got nothing on puerto plata drivers...

Also, I never rented a car that was busted up with dings and dents... They were always in good shape, or close to good shape...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to stalino55 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for the rental information on Alamo/National.
    Both speak & read spanish. Plan on taking a (?) chica from BB's for day excursions, visit the usual tourist attractions and what she/they may recommend. Have driven in Mexico cities, should be the same crazy attitudes as there?
    Never drove in Mexico but I was only there once... I have also been to DR 17 times and know my way around pretty well... Well enough to drive from STI-Sosua without help... Well that was about 6 years ago last time I did it, and was going pretty much every 3-4 months... If you are flying into POP and staying in Sosua, I wouldnt rent a car, dont think its worth it, especially if you plan on drinking.. What tourist attractions do you wanna see? If you dont have anything planned, I say fuck it... Get the hotel's driver or owner to pick you up or take a cab...

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thats what I have been thinking about. But, if I stay at Blackbeards, is it cost effective to have a taxi every day?
    I mean, what would be the taxi rates to & from the hotel to POP tourist attractions be?
    Or is there a company (livery service) that would be less expensive or comparable to the car rental expense?

Never drove in Mexico but I was only there once... I have also been to DR 17 times and know my way around pretty well... Well enough to drive from STI-Sosua without help... Well that was about 6 years ago last time I did it, and was going pretty much every 3-4 months... If you are flying into POP and staying in Sosua, I wouldnt rent a car, dont think its worth it, especially if you plan on drinking.. What tourist attractions do you wanna see? If you dont have anything planned, I say fuck it... Get the hotel's driver or owner to pick you up or take a cab...

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stalino55 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thats what I have been thinking about. But, if I stay at Blackbeards, is it cost effective to have a taxi every day?
    I mean, what would be the taxi rates to & from the hotel to POP tourist attractions be?
    Or is there a company (livery service) that would be less expensive or comparable to the car rental expense?
    If you are the type that likes to get out and about, can speak spanish, and wants to go on the hunt for chicas, why the fuck are you staying at Blackbeards?!?!?!? That place is good for what its good for, and that's for the guys that dont like to try... Wanna sit by the pool all day, pick from the girls at the place, not have to negotiate price, not see whats out there in DR... From what it sounds like, this is not you... Stay in Sosua at one of the hotels... Maybe Rockies or the suites across the street... Rick (owner of Rockies) will pick you up and drive you back to the airport, give you great service, he speaks english, and will treat you more then just a guest but as a brother... You may wanna re-think what you have planned, forget about the chicas you are in touch with through the internet, cancel the room at BB's stay in Sosua, forget the rental, find some wingmen, and enjoy Sosua... Just my opinion and im pretty sure others would agree..

21. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks guy,
    As I mentioned, still in the planning stage, so I will look at all possiblities.

If you are the type that likes to get out and about, can speak spanish, and wants to go on the hunt for chicas, why the fuck are you staying at Blackbeards?!?!?!? That place is good for what its good for, and that's for the guys that dont like to try... Wanna sit by the pool all day, pick from the girls at the place, not have to negotiate price, not see whats out there in DR... From what it sounds like, this is not you... Stay in Sosua at one of the hotels... Maybe Rockies or the suites across the street... Rick (owner of Rockies) will pick you up and drive you back to the airport, give you great service, he speaks english, and will treat you more then just a guest but as a brother... You may wanna re-think what you have planned, forget about the chicas you are in touch with through the internet, cancel the room at BB's stay in Sosua, forget the rental, find some wingmen, and enjoy Sosua... Just my opinion and im pretty sure others would agree..

23. The Following User Says Thank You to stalino55 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,213 Times in 1,597 Posts

I rented a car at the POP airport as an add on to my American Airlines Ticket a couple of years ago. I purchased Insurance thru American Express and declined the rental insurance without any problem. When I returned the car there were no added charges or suprises except for the price of gasoline when I filled up. In my opinion, if you stay in Sousa you do not need a car, but I prefer driving down the coast in the afternoons to hanging around the hotel. I am also not a heavy drinker, and would not drive drunk.

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Happyhorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you sir,
    I was also thinking of doing the same, at my convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyhorn View Post
    I rented a car at the POP airport as an add on to my American Airlines Ticket a couple of years ago. I purchased Insurance thru American Express and declined the rental insurance without any problem. When I returned the car there were no added charges or suprises except for the price of gasoline when I filled up. In my opinion, if you stay in Sousa you do not need a car, but I prefer driving down the coast in the afternoons to hanging around the hotel. I am also not a heavy drinker, and would not drive drunk.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stalino55 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 2,554 Posts

stalino55,

As Boris mentioned, videotape the condition of the car (and the guy/girl showing it to you) before you sign off on it, that way, if there's any question about its condition upon your return, you can show the video.

Also, have a napkin or tissue with you and check the oil right there in front of them. Don't be embarrassed/shy about doing what you need to do to protect yourself. It just lets them know that you know what you're doing.

Outside of that, the only issue I had renting at POP airport once was finding the car I reserved was not available and having them try and rent me a more expensive model. Just tell them if they don't have the model you reserved, or an upgrade at the equivalent price, that you will go to the rental stand right next to theirs and rent from them. It's been 7 years since I've rented, but these were my experiences.

29. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

I love it when guys rent cars. Always the chance of another 8orBetter story!

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    stalino55,

As Boris mentioned, videotape the condition of the car (and the guy/girl showing it to you) before you sign off on it, that way, if there's any question about its condition upon your return, you can show the video.

Also, have a napkin or tissue with you and check the oil right there in front of them. Don't be embarrassed/shy about doing what you need to do to protect yourself. It just lets them know that you know what you're doing.

Outside of that, the only issue I had renting at POP airport once was finding the car I reserved was not available and having them try and rent me a more expensive model. Just tell them if they don't have the model you reserved, or an upgrade at the equivalent price, that you will go to the rental stand right next to theirs and rent from them. It's been 7 years since I've rented, but these were my experiences.
    I tip the inspector dude some pesos too but that's me. Check the battery too.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Doesn't sound like much of a holiday. Check this, check that, tip him, tip her. I just jump in the publico and pay 45 pesos and never have to check anything. I guess I should check whether the brakes work but I am scared of what I might find.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Doesn't sound like much of a holiday. Check this, check that, tip him, tip her. I just jump in the publico and pay 45 pesos and never have to check anything. I guess I should check whether the brakes work but I am scared of what I might find.
    All it takes is one check at the time of rental and, assuming all checks out, you're good to go for the rest of the rental if you're doing a week.

I just got home from POP today and the weather was pretty hot and humid this past week, unusually so, according to some Dominicans I know. I wouldn't consider it much of a holiday if I had to take a 10 minute walk from my apartment and stand on the main road dripping in sweat, only to have to wait another 5 minutes or so in the boiling heat just to be packed into a van like sardines with no air conditioning (and, no, I don't accept warm air blowing in through the window as being a form of air conditioning). My time spent on vacation has to be as comfortable, if not more so, and certainly more enjoyable, than my time spent at home. I don't spend thousands of dollars to travel anywhere to "rough it".

37. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    All it takes is one check at the time of rental and, assuming all checks out, you're good to go for the rest of the rental if you're doing a week.

I just got home from POP today and the weather was pretty hot and humid this past week, unusually so, according to some Dominicans I know. I wouldn't consider it much of a holiday if I had to take a 10 minute walk from my apartment and stand on the main road dripping in sweat, only to have to wait another 5 minutes or so in the boiling heat just to be packed into a van like sardines with no air conditioning (and, no, I don't accept warm air blowing in through the window as being a form of air conditioning). My time spent on vacation has to be as comfortable, if not more so, and certainly more enjoyable, than my time spent at home. I don't spend thousands of dollars to travel anywhere to "rough it".
    Well said. Did the publico thing once and swore I'd never do it again.

I rent cars whenever I go to Sosua because I like to stay in accommodations that are generally off the main strip. And I don't like to be confined to just P. Clisante and the immediate area. There's so much more to see and do there.

But I don't recommend driving in the DR if you're inexperienced, unable to read and speak Spanish, or a "special" individual like 8 or Better.

39. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DCIronman View Post
    Well said. Did the publico thing once and swore I'd never do it again.
    In all honesty, I wouldn't mind doing it to get that true "Dominican experience" but, every time I think about what it entails, all I can think is "F" that.

A few days ago I had to stand out on the main rd. and the corner of Avenida Colon for about 15 minutes waiting for somebody, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to find the location where I was. It's no surprise my doctor asked me this morning how I got so tanned.

41. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information