Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car rental in POP - Is it too much trouble?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 230 Posts

Guide Re: Car rental in POP - Is it too much trouble?

Thanks to all who have posted.
    I am going to do more research on the pros/cons of Sousa (Rockys' or the other hotels there).
    Question, what hotel in Sousa would be comparable to Blackbeards easy access & availability to chicas?
    As to the car, regardless of where I do stay, I still like to have the liberty to come & go on a moments whim.
    The reason I ask to the above chica question is that, I am not too particular to the club scene every night to get some pussy.
    All suggestions and comments are welcomed, the more opinions I receive from you vets the better it is for me to make a wise choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    In all honesty, I wouldn't mind doing it to get that true "Dominican experience" but, every time I think about what it entails, all I can think is "F" that.

A few days ago I had to stand out on the main rd. and the corner of Avenida Colon for about 15 minutes waiting for somebody, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to find the location where I was. It's no surprise my doctor asked me this morning how I got so tanned.

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Re: Car rental in POP - Is it too much trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by stalino55 View Post
    Thanks to all who have posted.
    I am going to do more research on the pros/cons of Sousa (Rockys' or the other hotels there).
    Question, what hotel in Sousa would be comparable to Blackbeards easy access & availability to chicas?
    As to the car, regardless of where I do stay, I still like to have the liberty to come & go on a moments whim.
    The reason I ask to the above chica question is that, I am not too particular to the club scene every night to get some pussy.
    All suggestions and comments are welcomed, the more opinions I receive from you vets the better it is for me to make a wise choice.
    The most popular/main part of the strip is essentially 1 block long and there are at least a dozen hotels in town within a 2-5 minute walk of that part of the strip.

so, really - they're pretty much all fairly easy access. Most everything you'll want to get to in Sosua is within walking distance of that part of that area.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?t=h&h...,0.018067&z=15

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

All it takes is one check at the time of rental and, assuming all checks out, you're good to go for the rest of the rental if you're doing a week.

I just got home from POP today and the weather was pretty hot and humid this past week, unusually so, according to some Dominicans I know. I wouldn't consider it much of a holiday if I had to take a 10 minute walk from my apartment and stand on the main road dripping in sweat, only to have to wait another 5 minutes or so in the boiling heat just to be packed into a van like sardines with no air conditioning (and, no, I don't accept warm air blowing in through the window as being a form of air conditioning). My time spent on vacation has to be as comfortable, if not more so, and certainly more enjoyable, than my time spent at home. I don't spend thousands of dollars to travel anywhere to "rough it".
    Just kidding with you, Rubicon. I have friends here who drive me around, ErikS, Robert Zipcode, Sonrisa, and others, and I am very grateful to them.

But I would still advise those new to the DR to seriously consider whether they need a car. As DCIronman points out, there are many dangers and scams awaiting the unwary and they could get their holiday (or life) seriously fucked up. In particular they should ensure that their insurance policy contains admittance to the Casa del Conductor if the worst comes to the worst (as 8orBetter found out the hard way).

A few days ago I had to stand out on the main rd. and the corner of Avenida Colon for about 15 minutes waiting for somebody, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to find the location where I was.
    Maybe one reason they couldn't find you is that it hasn't been called Avenida Colon for over 3 years. It is has a much better name now.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 2,554 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    But I would still advise those new to the DR to seriously consider whether they need a car.
    You're correct. No one new, or old, to the DR really needs personal transportation as there is so much public transportation available in the DR that you could literally get almost anywhere you need to go without personal transportation. BUT, it can be hell most times waiting out in the heat, humidity, dust, and exhaust waiting for that public transportation to come along. Those are the times I want personal transportation and am glad I am fortunate enought to have it.

As DCIronman points out, there are many dangers and scams awaiting the unwary and they could get their holiday (or life) seriously fucked up.
    Therein, in my opinion, lies the real problem. Many of us come from large, metropolitan areas where the traffic is just as congested and dangerous as that experienced in the DR, minus the numerous motos and pasolas. But, as I've said before, if you get in an accident in the US it can be disputed. If you get in an accident in the DR, as a gringo you are almost automatically considered at fault. The biggest danger in getting in an accident in the DR is not so much having gotten into an accident, but experiencing a DWG (driving while gringo).

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

Doesn't sound like much of a holiday. Check this, check that, tip him, tip her. I just jump in the publico and pay 45 pesos and never have to check anything. I guess I should check whether the brakes work but I am scared of what I might find.
    In Santo Domingo you can visually check the brakes by looking through the holes in the floor of the publicos. Maybe you could suggest this improvement for the local publicos Weyland!!!

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to snoozer For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

... it can be hell most times waiting out in the heat, humidity, dust, and exhaust waiting for that public transportation to come along.
    Rubicon, I know nothing of your private life and upbringing (and I am not inviting you to tell me), so I could be quite out of order here, but you have never struck me as someone who had a pampered and sheltered upbringing or an easy ride since. I on the other hand did have (by world standards) a pampered and sheltered upbringing in a lower-middle-class family in a quiet, leafy dormitory town near London, England. I am congenitally lazy, and have always avoided discomfort, squalor or inconvenience. And I am now 72 and in poor health. But, apart the odd occasion when a friend gives me a lift, I rely on public transport here, motoconchos, publicos and guaguas, and I have never once found it to be hell. Sometimes it is a mild inconvenience, but that is compensated for by the extreme economy and the frequent entertainment derived from seeing Dominicans and Haitians doing and saying their thing in a non-gringo environment. So if it doesn't bug this pampered wimp I think it is a gross exaggeration to call it "hell".

Many of us come from large, metropolitan areas where the traffic is just as congested and dangerous as that experienced in the DR, minus the numerous motos and pasolas.
    Not true. The traffic in the First World nations might be more congested and complex, but it is in no way as dangerous as in the DR. You only have to compare the death rates. I believe the chances of dying in a traffic accident are twelve times as high in the DR as in the UK per head of population despite the vastly greater vehicle usage in the latter. And the problem doesn't end there. If you are injured in the First World, you will probably get prompt and competent treatment which will minimise the risk of permanent disability. Over here treatment for even a relatively minor injury could be so delayed, or so incompetent, that you will suffer the rest of your life for something which you might have forgotten about within six months in a First World country.

That is not an argument for using public transport here, of course. In fact public transport is more dangerous. It is however an argument for considering "is your journey really necessary?"

If you get in an accident in the DR, as a gringo you are almost automatically considered at fault. The biggest danger in getting in an accident in the DR is not so much having gotten into an accident, but experiencing a DWG (driving while gringo).
    Worse than the presumption of gringo guit is the way the incident might be dealt with. If someone is hurt, or if you damage the property of one of the elite (army officer, politico, or anyone connected) you will be taken to prison and kept in an environment which threatens your health and well-being, and you will be given no help in extracting yourself. You won't be given food, clean drinking water or access to a proper toilet or to a telephone unless you have sufficient cash on you for a bribe. Now people like Rubicon or Mr Happy or DCIronman may know the drill and have the contacts to manage the situation, but someone just visiting on holiday and who may speak little or no Spanish may fall over themselves to pay $US10,000+ to get out of jail after only a few days there, and will be only too glad to be put on the next plane out of the country and scrap the the rest of their trip. And all for something which in a First World country would be dealt with by exchanging insurance details or visiting the police station at your own convenience to fill out a report.

This is a worse case scenario, but it does happen (ask 8orBetter) and newbies should be aware of all these factors when deciding whether they really need to hire a car to enjoy their trip, when the great majority of members here manage very well without doing so.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 34,226 Times in 2,769 Posts

I love it when guys rent cars. Always the chance of another 8orBetter story!
    8orbetter story? Is this another isoc classic?

Thanks
    Thanked 34,226 Times in 2,769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Happyhorn View Post
    I rented a car at the POP airport as an add on to my American Airlines Ticket a couple of years ago. I purchased Insurance thru American Express and declined the rental insurance without any problem. When I returned the car there were no added charges or suprises except for the price of gasoline when I filled up. In my opinion, if you stay in Sousa you do not need a car, but I prefer driving down the coast in the afternoons to hanging around the hotel. I am also not a heavy drinker, and would not drive drunk.
    The only downside of this insurance is that it is thru a third company, not eve n AA. If anything hAppens to the car, the rental car company will charge the full value of the damAge to your card. You would be responsible for collecting from the third party insurance company.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dquick For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Question Re: Car rental in POP - Is it too much trouble?

Thanks for this great information Weyland,
    It is obvious you are truly a well informed man of the world.
    The more I am reading from this post, the more convinced that it is not wise for me to rent a car in the DR at this time.
    Perhaps down the road when I have visited there more often & know the lay the land better.

From reading the blogs here, it seems to me that Sousa is more a pussy hunt & bag destination with easier access to the tourist spots in Puerto Plata?
    Blackbeard's is more convenient/easier to score pussy, but more expensive & harder/pricier to get to Puerto Plata spots.
    Puerto Plata is more of a truly tourist destination, that is your general non mongering tourist spot.
    Am I correct or am I missing something?

Rubicon, I know nothing of your private life and upbringing (and I am not inviting you to tell me), so I could be quite out of order here, but you have never struck me as someone who had a pampered and sheltered upbringing or an easy ride since. I on the other hand did have (by world standards) a pampered and sheltered upbringing in a lower-middle-class family in a quiet, leafy dormitory town near London, England. I am congenitally lazy, and have always avoided discomfort, squalor or inconvenience. And I am now 72 and in poor health. But, apart the odd occasion when a friend gives me a lift, I rely on public transport here, motoconchos, publicos and guaguas, and I have never once found it to be hell. Sometimes it is a mild inconvenience, but that is compensated for by the extreme economy and the frequent entertainment derived from seeing Dominicans and Haitians doing and saying their thing in a non-gringo environment. So if it doesn't bug this pampered wimp I think it is a gross exaggeration to call it "hell".

Not true. The traffic in the First World nations might be more congested and complex, but it is in no way as dangerous as in the DR. You only have to compare the death rates. I believe the chances of dying in a traffic accident are twelve times as high in the DR as in the UK per head of population despite the vastly greater vehicle usage in the latter. And the problem doesn't end there. If you are injured in the First World, you will probably get prompt and competent treatment which will minimise the risk of permanent disability. Over here treatment for even a relatively minor injury could be so delayed, or so incompetent, that you will suffer the rest of your life for something which you might have forgotten about within six months in a First World country.

That is not an argument for using public transport here, of course. In fact public transport is more dangerous. It is however an argument for considering "is your journey really necessary?"

Worse than the presumption of gringo guit is the way the incident might be dealt with. If someone is hurt, or if you damage the property of one of the elite (army officer, politico, or anyone connected) you will be taken to prison and kept in an environment which threatens your health and well-being, and you will be given no help in extracting yourself. You won't be given food, clean drinking water or access to a proper toilet or to a telephone unless you have sufficient cash on you for a bribe. Now people like Rubicon or Mr Happy or DCIronman may know the drill and have the contacts to manage the situation, but someone just visiting on holiday and who may speak little or no Spanish may fall over themselves to pay $US10,000+ to get out of jail after only a few days there, and will be only too glad to be put on the next plane out of the country and scrap the the rest of their trip. And all for something which in a First World country would be dealt with by exchanging insurance details or visiting the police station at your own convenience to fill out a report.

This is a worse case scenario, but it does happen (ask 8orBetter) and newbies should be aware of all these factors when deciding whether they really need to hire a car to enjoy their trip, when the great majority of members here manage very well without doing so.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stalino55 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 2,554 Posts

Rubicon, I know nothing of your private life and upbringing (and I am not inviting you to tell me), so I could be quite out of order here, but you have never struck me as someone who had a pampered and sheltered upbringing or an easy ride since.
    I have no problem addressing that issue. I was born and raised in Third World squalor and poverty in the US, in much the same way you see in the DR. We were dirt poor, hungry most days/nights, ragged clothing with holes in the bottom of our shoes, unless we used cardboard or tape to serve as soles on the bottom of the shoes.

About 20 years ago things got much, much better financially and, eventually, I moved into a management position making very good money, and that is when I became lazy and probably less tolerant of the inconveniences that were previously tolerable. I like to have lights when I turn on a switch. I like a toilet that flushes. And, I like air conditioning when it's humid, although I have become accustomed to using a fan when I'm in my apartment instead of the ac. I have always been able to adjust to harsh conditions in life (and, believe me when I tell you, there have been some extremely harsh conditions along the way in addition to those I've already mentioned) but I've also worked hard to have a better life and that involves having at least some of the conveniences of life.

But, apart the odd occasion when a friend gives me a lift, I rely on public transport here, motoconchos, publicos and guaguas, and I have never once found it to be hell. Sometimes it is a mild inconvenience, but that is compensated for by the extreme economy and the frequent entertainment derived from seeing Dominicans and Haitians doing and saying their thing in a non-gringo environment. So if it doesn't bug this pampered wimp I think it is a gross exaggeration to call it "hell".
    Of course the use of the word "hell" is an exaggerated term, but I find the experience certainly to be more than a "mild inconvenience" as well.

Not true. The traffic in the First World nations might be more congested and complex, but it is in no way as dangerous as in the DR. You only have to compare the death rates.
    I could very well be wrong but I suspect the greater number of "death rates" per accident, as opposed to the number of accidents per capita (if that is what you are specifically referring to) in the DR versus, say, the US or UK, might be attributable to the greater use of motos/scooters, than if one were driving a car. I think it goes without saying that one is more likely to be killed on a motorcycle in an accident than in a car. Having said that, I do agree that driving habits in the DR certainly leave much to be desired.

I believe the chances of dying in a traffic accident are twelve times as high in the DR as in the UK per head of population despite the vastly greater vehicle usage in the latter. And the problem doesn't end there. If you are injured in the First World, you will probably get prompt and competent treatment which will minimise the risk of permanent disability. Over here treatment for even a relatively minor injury could be so delayed, or so incompetent, that you will suffer the rest of your life for something which you might have forgotten about within six months in a First World country.

The rest of this I wouldn't argue against. In fact, I recall previously stating in another thread that the problem is not so much driving here, but getting into an accident because, then, you're screwed.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dquick View Post
    Indeed it is. Second only to "The Ballad of Threesomefan and Michelle" on the all-time hitlist.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks for this great information Weyland. It is obvious you are truly a well informed man of the world.
    The more I am reading from this post, the more convinced that it is not wise for me to rent a car in the DR at this time.
    Perhaps down the road when I have visited there more often & know the lay the land better.
    A lot of guys have being renting cars to enhance their holidays for a decade or more with no problems. Just be aware of the issues before you decide. If do you get one, offer me a lift. Save me getting squashed in a fuckin' publico.

From reading the blogs here, it seems to me that Sousa is more a pussy hunt & bag destination with easier access to the tourist spots in Puerto Plata?
    Blackbeard's is more convenient/easier to score pussy, but more expensive & harder/pricier to get to Puerto Plata spots.
    Puerto Plata is more of a truly tourist destination, that is your general non mongering tourist spot.
    I live in Puerto Plata, and I quite like it, but I would hardly call it much of a tourist destination except for those who spend all their holiday inside an AI (and even that business is shrinking fast).

There is the cable-car (three hours at most, nothing much to see at the top except a nice view, and try to go up as soon as they open at 8.30am so long as the sky is clear. If you go later in the day, the mountain-top can suddenly cloud over out of nothing and you will see zilch. However hot it is at the bottom you may be glad of a light sweater at the top).

There is the Fortaleza at the Puntilla (west end of the Malecon). Half hour at most.

What else is there to see tourist-wise in Puerto Plata itself that you cannot find elsewhere? Nothing that I can think of. There are things like the rum bottling plant and the amber museum that you could do to kill time if you are already in the vicinity, but hardly interesting enough to influence where you stay.

If you want to go Latin dancing (bachata, merengue, salsa, reggaeton), Puerto Plata has far more places to offer than Sosua. In fact if you want to try your luck at pulling non-pros then Puerto Plata is far better than Sosua, but you will need reasonable Spanish and some assets (good dancer, young, or good-looking, etc). Your rented car might come in useful here so long as it looks fairly impressive.

Blackbeards is less than four miles from Puerto Plata city and Sosua is 17 miles away, but timewise there is not much in it and costwise it is cheaper from Sosua.

Sosua is for the whore hunt. But they do the hunting, not you. Blackbeards (and now also Field of Dreams) is fish in a barrel. Ideal for the older man, the unfit man, the bone idle man, or the congenitally shy.

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Rubicon. Thanks for the glimpse of your earlier years. All the more credit to you that you now choose to "give back" in the way you do.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Blackbeards is less than four miles from Puerto Plata city and Sosua is 17 miles away, but timewise there is not much in it and costwise it is cheaper from Sosua.

Sosua is for the whore hunt. But they do the hunting, not you. Blackbeards (and now also Field of Dreams) is fish in a barrel. Ideal for the older man, the unfit man, the bone idle man, or the congenitally shy.

Oh hell!I fit three out of four!!

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stalino55 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dquick View Post
    Yes. I believe it concluded with him spending a day in jail with 20 naked Dominican men. The number increases each time.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robocock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robocock View Post
    Yes. I believe it concluded with him spending a day in jail with 20 naked Dominican men. The number increases each time.
    I still don't understand why his cellmates were naked. But it definitely makes for a funnier story.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DCIronman View Post
    I still don't understand why his cellmates were naked. But it definitely makes for a funnier story.
    He blew up every story bigger than the reality. Just like how big and bad he was. Standing 5 foot nuthin, 140 soaking wet. But don't cross him, because his family hated when he showed up at a family reunion, because he would always kick someones ass!

MAN!! I love guys with short dick syndrome!!

32. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    He blew up every story bigger than the reality. Just like how big and bad he was. Standing 5 foot nuthin, 140 soaking wet. But don't cross him, because his family hated when he showed up at a family reunion, because he would always kick someones ass!

MAN!! I love guys with short dick syndrome!!
    I got that syndrome.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 58,341 Times in 10,416 Posts

Myself also!!!

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jacknback For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DCIronman View Post
    It gets very hot in there. They don't have air conditioning.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information