Thread: Autopista Duarte - Santiago to Monte Cristi

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Autopista Duarte - Santiago to Monte Cristi

I was wondering if anyone has done this drive and can offer any info. How's the road? Is it mountainous terrain or basically a flat road? Roughly how long a drive? Anything/place interesting to see along the way?

Me and a buddy are looking at doing a road trip out to Monte Cristi, maybe spend the day around El Morro and either crash out there or back in Santiago (depending on how long the drive is).

Any info would help. Gracias!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

Re: Autopista Duarte - Santiago to Monte Cristi

Deezl, Have done this trip several times from the North Coast. The highway out of Santiago is HW1 Autopista Duarte bypass Navarette to Monte Criste. Would say from where you are in the city would take approx 2 and a halve hrs. The highway is actually pretty good, the only issue maybe around Navarette where they seem to always have some sort of road construction being done. If you leave early in the day, I would suggest stopping at Playa Punta Rucia first. Amazing north coast beach, with all the seafood within local huts for a great lunch and swim. If you decide to go, take the Villa Elisa (Road 30 on Google map) which you will exit off HW1. This road can be a bit bumpy, but doable in any type of car. You then can back track and after reaching HW1 head west to Monte Criste. The entire HW1 passes thru many small towns and you will also see many of the agriculture farmlands along the way. M.C. is actually the home of the family of the founders of Presidente Beer (Leon Jimenes). The family have donated allot of money in developing this city, as well as some very nice restaurants and bars. Also, the area has a very strong connection with Cuba and those that trade between the two countries, especially within the salt producing fields. The beach coast is definitely something you want to see as you will find it very different (hilly, w/ very high cliffs) then want you will discover in the DR. If you decide to do an overnight I would suggest looking at several small hotels right on the beach, or ask the locals in the city center. When returning to Santiago, be aware that you will pass by several check points as this highway is one of the main roads used by Haitians, as well as products that have made their way into the DR.
    “I don’t know the question, but sex is definitely the answer.”

5. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Awesome, thanks for the info. I was thinking about hitting Punta Rucia, but I'm picking up a chica in Villa Vasquez on the way.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the info. I was thinking about hitting Punta Rucia, but I'm picking up a chica in Villa Vasquez on the way.
    Have her meet you at the Villa Elisa exit to Rucia. There's a gas station (Isla) directly across the street where she can meet you coming from the west. Only problem would be Dominican time

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder View Post
    Only problem would be Dominican time
    tell her to meet you at Noon.......so when you get there at 6PM she'll be there waiting for you......

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thread Information