Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: 06/2012 - Global entry

Thanks
    Thanked 6,100 Times in 549 Posts

06/2012 - Global entry

As i travel quite abit to and from work and out of the country i decided to give global entry a try. Now bear on mind I am live in Miami and some airports have not started the program yet. In my opinion it was well worth it, on domestic flights no more shoes and belts off ,quicker lines , way faster thru TSA check points. On international flights customs was a breeze . Went to the kiosk scan my passport ,quick print scan and i was headed to lugguge area , no lines. After luggage separate line gave card kiosk printed and was on my way to a cab. Only pain was after online questionaire , had to appear for interview that was just photo taken for ID card. For those of you that travel alot might be worth looking into......
    Last edited by gulfmariner; 06-12-2012 at 08:44 PM.
    You can't shake a hooker tree and expect housewives to fall out !!!!!

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

Re: Global entry

Quote Originally Posted by captbartman View Post
    As i travel quite abit to and from work and out of the country i decided to give global entry a try. Now bear on mind I am live in Miami and some airports have not started the program yet. In my opinion it was well worth it, on domestic flights no more shoes and belts off ,quicker lines , way faster thru TSA check points. On international flights customs was a breeze . Went to the kiosk scan my passport ,quick print scan and i was headed to lugguge area , no lines. After luggage separate line gave card kiosk printed and was on my way to a cab. Only pain was after online questionaire , had to appear for interview that was just photo taken for ID card. For those of you that travel alot might be worth looking into......
    looked into it but with the costs etc you need to travel quite a bit to make it worth your while........
    I would say for anyone that flies more than 3-4 times a year it would be well worth it.........

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Global entry is worth the $100. You save over 45 minutes to an hour waiting on line

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to y2k For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,221 Times in 1,136 Posts

I just signed up for this tonight. I travel internationally about twice a year, but the real value is the TSA precheck, I travel a ton for work and if this can save time and hassle, I am with it. No more BS for me! $100 well spent I say.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GrandePadre For This Useful Post:

Thanks

How long after you submitted your application did they contact you for interview?

I turned my app in 4 days ago..

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dr1lvr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr1lvr View Post
    How long after you submitted your application did they contact you for interview?

I turned my app in 4 days ago..

if i remember correctly , after i applied and paid it was within a couple weeks to set up pic and interview at airport .

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gulfmariner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 34,226 Times in 2,769 Posts

What concerns me about global entry is the background check. I am a US citizen, who has travelled to Cuba from Canada. I may go to Cuba again, from a third country.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dquick For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dquick View Post
    What concerns me about global entry is the background check. I am a US citizen, who has travelled to Cuba from Canada. I may go to Cuba again, from a third country.
    yeah you might want to leave that one alone, could raise some flags, although if I recall, Cuba does not mark your passport and DHS, "should" not have a record of your travel, but then again you never know what kinds of intelligence sharing agreements are in place with Canada. I wouldn't tempt fate on that one.

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GrandePadre For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have had GE for a few months now. How do you use GE as a TSA-preclearance? Is there a separate line to enter security? I don't think I've seen it at JFK. I thought it was only for CBP when coming back into the US from abroad.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Orange For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orange View Post
    I have had GE for a few months now. How do you use GE as a TSA-preclearance? Is there a separate line to enter security? I don't think I've seen it at JFK. I thought it was only for CBP when coming back into the US from abroad.
    if you have global entry you already have pre clearance ( or they wouldn't have given you the ge card)

the custom and border patrol points of entry with global entry scanners (that have it) are usually off to the side of where the immigration lines start........just scan and go........wish i had it as i almost missed my washington to toronto flight last night when coming home from bkk.
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orange View Post

go on the global entry website and you will find tsa checkpoints that are open for pre-clearance trusted travelers , also american airlines .com has a page when you log in with your frequent flyer # and password to list your trusted traveler # , i also think other airlines offer this. It will show up on your boarding pass on domestic flights and breeze you through TSA crap , different line , no shoes off , no laptops out of your bags etc .

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to gulfmariner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 Times in 2,070 Posts

Global entry
    Me and my sick mind thought this thread was going to be about something else entirely.
    One for the dick and one for the balls!

24. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to TC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,369 Times in 2,486 Posts

If you are Platinum on United they pay for it.

Interview was a little funny. Thank god they were young guys.

GE-"SO?? You been to:
    DR
    Colombia
    Thailand
    Phillipines
    Costa Rica
    Brazil???

"These are all flagged countries!"

ME-"oh really?? Flagged for what?

GE-"dont worry, you dont fit the profile"

The funny thing was the old fat dude getting interviewed next to me was asked:

GE-
    "So, you been to Thailand quite a few times?? Business or pleasure?
    Fat Old Man-"I go for business!"

I can say it is worthless unless you have only carry on luggage
    I always blow past everyone, but as I wait at the carousel, everyone I past shows up and we all leave at the same time.

when i went to Madrid I only had carryon and I walked past a hellish immigration line, did the kiosk and off I went.

But I personally think that they are less likely to search you when you have GE. It claims that is not the case, but the interviewer hinted to that.

TSA preclearance is not available with United at EWR yet. But I am on the list

Thanks

Well it took me about 10 days from the time I turned in my application and paid to get my conditional approval letter. They offered me an appointment in December in at one location or Nov 6 at another. But from what I have heard you can get in faster but you have to just check every day for cancellations. Which is what I hope to do so I can have it for this trip. I will be cutting it close.

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GrandePadre For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sacase View Post
    Well it took me about 10 days from the time I turned in my application and paid to get my conditional approval letter. They offered me an appointment in December in at one location or Nov 6 at another. But from what I have heard you can get in faster but you have to just check every day for cancellations. Which is what I hope to do so I can have it for this trip. I will be cutting it close.
    I though the same thing, just log back onto Global site, you can move dates and get a MUCH earlier date, like this coming week most llkely. I was about to take a two month date too, until guys on FT told me to look again.

by the way EWR DOES have TSA precheck now. Terminal C(United)

BUT, it only clears for domestic flights!!??WTF!!?? and not domestic legs, entire intiniary has to be domestic.

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sporthobbyist For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I had my appointment yesterday and my experience is probably going to be different that most. It sucked because I had to wait 2 hours AFTER my scheduled appointment time to be seen. But this is due to me going to a border checkpoint that also handles SENTRI stuff. I think if I would have gone to the airport it would have been much faster. However once I was seen it was fast, the guy asked me why I go to Mexico, I said I don't go often. Then he asked why I needed GE, I said I travel a lot. He asked what I do, I told him. He asked for my work ID, I gave it to him. He said you are approved and have a nice day. However other folks got grilled. Most of the questions were:

What countries have you been to in the last 5 years?
    Why were you there?
    Do you use drugs?
    There were a few others but I forgot.

That is pretty much it, no stress or fuss. So with GE, I can now use TSA precheck, GE coming back into the US and SENTRI coming back from mexico! $100 well spent.

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GrandePadre For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,334 Times in 6,472 Posts

I'm going to get this once I hit 75,000 status on uniteds program. I believe they waive the fee for application in the top 2 tiers. It still sounds worth the 100 though, I'm starting to hate taking off my shoes, the laptop out of the bag and all that. If those steps can be skipped it seems like a good deal. Haven't looked into it yet but will definitely do that after reading this thread and a couple comments made in some others.

Great start up topic capt bartman

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dominican dave View Post
    I'm going to get this once I hit 75,000 status on uniteds program. I believe they waive the fee for application in the top 2 tiers. It still sounds worth the 100 though, I'm starting to hate taking off my shoes, the laptop out of the bag and all that. If those steps can be skipped it seems like a good deal. Haven't looked into it yet but will definitely do that after reading this thread and a couple comments made in some others.

Great start up topic capt bartman
    as far as shoes and laptops?? That is the TSA Precheck. You do not need to have GE to apply for Precheck. (but I heard it helps)

and it is super selective. It HAS to be a domestic flight only to even make the list.
    Then you might get approved, you might not. They want you to just walk into the Pre Check line and scan your ticket. If you get three beeps you are approved and will blow through TSA in less then a minute. If you get one beep, then back into the catlle line again!!!

You can avoid this by printing your BP. Using your Iphone or Android with a barcode scanner. Scan the barcode on the BP and if the last number is a "3" you are approved.

personally besides the possibilitry of NOT getting pulled to be checked, GE is really no big deal.
    You breeze through customs, but luggae still takes just as long, so you end up saving little time.
    If I had to pay, even if it is only 100 bucks, it is NOT worth it(unless you only ever have carry on)
    But since United paid, i will take it

35. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sporthobbyist For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sporthobbyist View Post
    as far as shoes and laptops?? That is the TSA Precheck. You do not need to have GE to apply for Precheck. (but I heard it helps)

and it is super selective. It HAS to be a domestic flight only to even make the list.
    Then you might get approved, you might not. They want you to just walk into the Pre Check line and scan your ticket. If you get three beeps you are approved and will blow through TSA in less then a minute. If you get one beep, then back into the catlle line again!!!

You can avoid this by printing your BP. Using your Iphone or Android with a barcode scanner. Scan the barcode on the BP and if the last number is a "3" you are approved.

personally besides the possibilitry of NOT getting pulled to be checked, GE is really no big deal.
    You breeze through customs, but luggae still takes just as long, so you end up saving little time.
    If I had to pay, even if it is only 100 bucks, it is NOT worth it(unless you only ever have carry on)
    But since United paid, i will take it
    I live in San Diego so when I do go to TJ I can avoid those long ass 30 min to 2 hour waits to come back to the US cause I can use the SENTRI lines No one is ever in the SENTRI lines at 4am

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrandePadre For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sacase View Post
    I live in San Diego so when I do go to TJ I can avoid those long ass 30 min to 2 hour waits to come back to the US cause I can use the SENTRI lines No one is ever in the SENTRI lines at 4am

Yes, but you have to have your GE card with you.

Normal airport customs GE kiosk just scan your passport. But traveling with car back from Mexico, you need your GE card

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sporthobbyist For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Thread Information