Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 06/2012 - Global entry

Thanks
    Thanked 32,918 Times in 3,296 Posts

Re: 06/2012 - Global entry

The other thing I noticed with my global entry,,,,,,, I don't get stamped when I come back into the country. I have saved a page in my passport since I got it from re-entry stamps. Helps ,, cause I was worried about having to add pages........

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bailar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,285 Times in 14,580 Posts

For those traveling through Miami you will now notice that they have these kiosks that all travelers must use prior to going through immigration.

There is a separate set of kiosks dedicated for Global entry travelers and a set for everyone else.

I guess the idea is to speed things up but the last 2 times I have been through there the lines have been huge and I think it makes it slower.

Except for the Global entry kiosks which had virtually no lines.

In fact my last trip I had a rather close connection time and even with global entry I got to my next gate connection as the plane was beginning to board.

Without global entry I would have had no chance in making that flight.

As far as I know that don't give preference to those with short connection windows.

I can't recommend global entry high enough. It makes international travel so much better.
    Unless you can't qualify to get it for some reason it is money well spent.

Plus TSA precheck can be a nice thing as well.

This ends my PSA for Global entry
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,334 Times in 1,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    For those traveling through Miami you will now notice that they have these kiosks that all travelers must use prior to going through immigration.

There is a separate set of kiosks dedicated for Global entry travelers and a set for everyone else.

I guess the idea is to speed things up but the last 2 times I have been through there the lines have been huge and I think it makes it slower.

In fact my last trip I had a rather close connection time and even with global entry I got to my next gate connection as the plane was beginning to board.

As far as I know that don't give preference to those with short connection windows.

I can't recommend global entry high enough. It makes international travel so much better.

I really enjoy walking past the lines in immigration and quick Customs lines and getting precheck...Now I kinda don't want anyone else to know or get GE....I'm selfish..

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kitie carson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

Still the best $50 I ever spent

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Can someone elaborate a little more on this part... I know that they allow the people in those Long lines to go to a SEPERATE Line which is visibly shorter or no line at all .. Or at least this is what I think I was seeing... But you still go through the Same Body Scan screening, No ??..... or is it like a DEDICATED LINE with less screening?
    I was never able to get a good look at what the exact process is.. someone said no more removing shoes, and just a quick walk thru the metal detector ?

thanks

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,426 Times in 4,640 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JD426 View Post
    Can someone elaborate a little more on this part... I know that they allow the people in those Long lines to go to a SEPERATE Line which is visibly shorter or no line at all .. Or at least this is what I think I was seeing... But you still go through the Same Body Scan screening, No ??..... or is it like a DEDICATED LINE with less screening?
    I was never able to get a good look at what the exact process is.. someone said no more removing shoes, and just a quick walk thru the metal detector ?

thanks
    I just applied online for my TSA pre chk and Known trav number today, they gave me a appt for next Monday at the Orlando Airport.
    From what I understan no more shoes and belt off or Laptop out of case ect...
    Helping the 3rd world economy, one chica at a time !!!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skynyrd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

I have used my global entry a bunch of times now at JFK and it has never saved me time...lol...It just gets you to luggage carousel quicker than the other people and you still waif for your luggage.

I think it could be useful at cluster fuck airports like Miamia as JD says. I haven't hit a mega line at JFK or Newark yet coming back from asia - dr - etc.

TSA -Pre is nice. Yeah its shoes on light jacket on laptop or liquids don't have to come out.

And once you get your bags there is a global entry line that can save you time.

I don't think you get secondary inspected as much if you have global entry.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JD426 View Post

thanks
    Each airport is different

But basically you get a dedicated line normally much shorter where you don't have to take off your shoes, belt or remove laptop or liquids from bag
    You go typically go through a metal detector that in theory is not as sensitive.

In Miami they route you through a separate line which gets you through much quicker.
    If you fail the metal detector which I often do they send you through the body scanner to see what set off the metal detector.

In Miami it normally takes about 15 min max to get from the beginning of the kiosks through security to back into the terminal.
    It's a huge time saver.

The TSA screeners seem to be a little more laid back in that line as well

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skynyrd View Post
    I just applied online for my TSA pre chk and Known trav number today, they gave me a appt for next Monday at the Orlando Airport.
    From what I understan no more shoes and belt off or Laptop out of case ect...
    Wow that's really quick you are lucky they could get it done so fast for you.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wow that's really quick you are lucky they could get it done so fast for you.

LMAO thats Nothing....I just chked the status and appt schedule and saw there was an opening at 12:30pm TOMORROW so I changed my appt.
    will let you know how it goes tomorrow.
    Luckily I got my passport renewal back in todays mail lol

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Skynyrd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

LMAO thats Nothing....I just chked the status and appt schedule and saw there was an opening at 12:30pm TOMORROW so I changed my appt.

Great. Normally it takes awhile for them to process the application before you can schedule an appointment.
    Sounds like they are getting more efficient with the process.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

SKynryd...you are doing pre-check? not GE? the amount of international trips you take, you would love it...PLUS you get Pre-check with it

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kitie carson For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitie carson View Post
    SKynryd...you are doing pre-check? not GE? the amount of international trips you take, you would love it...PLUS you get Pre-check with it
    I am doing TSA pre chk tomorrow, I was going to try the GE but i read you cant have any past criminal record for that, and I was busted with pot in my early 20s....got time served (3 days lol ) and a fine but its still a record.
    The TSA pre chk listed only certain things that mattered, none of which ive done lol

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skynyrd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I am doing TSA pre chk tomorrow, I was going to try the GE but i read you cant have any past criminal record for that, and I was busted with pot in my early 20s....got time served (3 days lol ) and a fine but its still a record.
    The TSA pre chk listed only certain things that mattered, none of which ive done lol
    Understood..Yeah I was nervous as i had a DUI @ 19 yrs old , and a college prank gone bad....Never take a Ronald Mcdonald from Playland and ride around with it in back of pick up at 2am

But that was 20+ years ago, so luckily i was approved....The CBP guy actually had to take it up with supervisor who then approved me...

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kitie carson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

its never to late to get a pardon.......... I got mine............... but unfortunately I didn't get it in time and after 911 they checked and now I have to get a waiver every 5 years to enter the usa from Canada and get secondaried almost every time as well........ oh well beats the alternatives
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just got home from the 2 hr drive to the Orlando Airport interview and fingerprint....Guy said id get notified in a letter or can chk status online in about 5 days to see if approved..... Really didnt ask any questions, just checked passport, asked if everything was correct on application and took fingerprints, whole thing took 5 mins...4 hrs and 5 mins with round trip drive lol

32. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Skynyrd For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,973 Times in 2,414 Posts

Just got home from the 2 hr drive to the Orlando Airport interview and fingerprint....Guy said id get notified in a letter or can chk status online in about 5 days to see if approved..... Really didnt ask any questions, just checked passport, asked if everything was correct on application and took fingerprints, whole thing took 5 mins...4 hrs and 5 mins with round trip drive lol
    Did not know they did this at orlando airport>>> What was total cost for everything?

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LJDMV For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LJDMV View Post
    Did not know they did this at orlando airport>>> What was total cost for everything?
    85.00 used my US Airways card so id at least get some miles out of it lol

btw its located in front of the Delta baggage claim Terminal B

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skynyrd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,365 Times in 1,005 Posts

They are promoting GE like crazy nowadays. I want this to remain the best kept secret. I love passing up everybody in the airport.
    "Square players get played, pimps get paid, macks persuade"

"Trust me…never buy a depreciating asset. If it drives, flies, floats or f*cks - lease it!"

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chief Papi Lindo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Papi Lindo View Post
    They are promoting GE like crazy nowadays. I want this to remain the best kept secret. I love passing up everybody in the airport.
    The precheck is nice. If you a check a bag the customs part doesnt really save you any time because you have to wait for your bags anyway. I have never seen a huge line at JFK. I am sure it is better at airports like Miami....Cutting the line after you get the bag has saved me a little time sometimes. I think you are less inclined to get secondaried which is a big plus...I am still glad I got it for the 100 bucks.

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information