Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: 06/2012 - Global entry

Thanks
    Thanked 6,221 Times in 1,136 Posts

Re: Global entry

Quote Originally Posted by sporthobbyist View Post
    Yes, but you have to have your GE card with you.

Normal airport customs GE kiosk just scan your passport. But traveling with car back from Mexico, you need your GE card
    That's fine, I am not going to Mexico until AFTER I get back from DR. I will have my card by them. I spend way to much money in TJ. LOL Its easily a $200 night with my buddies.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GrandePadre For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

Just got a approved actually the process was easy as hell...took about 20 minutes, watched a quick video answered a few questions then that's it. No crazy questions either...

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,365 Times in 1,005 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrandePadre View Post
    That's fine, I am not going to Mexico until AFTER I get back from DR. I will have my card by them. I spend way to much money in TJ. LOL Its easily a $200 night with my buddies.
    i want to go to tj, but where do you find the fine babes? i imagine tj is full of 6's and below for some reason.
    "Square players get played, pimps get paid, macks persuade"

"Trust me…never buy a depreciating asset. If it drives, flies, floats or f*cks - lease it!"

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chief Papi Lindo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

kinda wish mi had it last night........might have been the difference between making mi connecting flight or not....
    in Ft Lauderdale last night wi had a long ass wait to get thru immigrations.......
    worst line mi have ever been in to get thru any immigrations.......
    though mi will give credit where it is do......they did process a ton of people in short time..........
    one of the Immigration guys was handing out the Global Entry folder.........
    and giving his sales pitch on this being the wave of the future......
    though he said if you only travel once a year it is probably not worth it.......
    but for people that travel quite a bit he said it was well worth it........mi concur
    so after doing the OJ sprint to get to mi connecting flight........mi showed up at the gate.....
    and guess what.......that beautiful airline Spirit delayed their flight 3 hours........WTF
    evidently some Spirit idiot decided to send our Tampa plane down to Santo Domingo....
    to pick up a load of travelers instead of us leaving on time for Tampa....
    it was bad enuff having mi first leg being an hour late.........but being 3 hours late on the last leg is unforgiveable
    did 12 legs of travel to Jamaica in the last year and this was the first time mi had to put up with this horseshit

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 860 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sporthobbyist View Post
    If you are Platinum on United they pay for it.

Interview was a little funny. Thank god they were young guys.

GE-"SO?? You been to:
    DR
    Colombia
    Thailand
    Phillipines
    Costa Rica
    Brazil???

"These are all flagged countries!"

ME-"oh really?? Flagged for what?

GE-"dont worry, you dont fit the profile"

The funny thing was the old fat dude getting interviewed next to me was asked:

GE-
    "So, you been to Thailand quite a few times?? Business or pleasure?
    Fat Old Man-"I go for business!"

I can say it is worthless unless you have only carry on luggage
    I always blow past everyone, but as I wait at the carousel, everyone I past shows up and we all leave at the same time.

when i went to Madrid I only had carryon and I walked past a hellish immigration line, did the kiosk and off I went.

But I personally think that they are less likely to search you when you have GE. It claims that is not the case, but the interviewer hinted to that.

TSA preclearance is not available with United at EWR yet. But I am on the list
    Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't GE only for entry INTO the US?

It definately is not the case that it is less likely that they search you. I took Amtrak to Canada once. I figured I would whip out my GE card to save some interview time.. The agent tells me to go to the back and grills me! Why do I need the card? Why do you travel to Colombia so much.. blah blah.. After they let me go, I ask about use of GE... That I thought I could speed through.. They said.. all it does is let you cut the line.. You STILL have to do an interview!

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hioctane For This Useful Post:

Thanks

$100 GE is well worth it.. even if you only travel international once a year!! It lasts for 5 years. If you go through major hubs like MIA or JFK, you know that customs line can be 1.5-2 hours if you are unlucky.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hioctane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,527 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hioctane View Post
    $100 GE is well worth it.. even if you only travel international once a year!! It lasts for 5 years. If you go through major hubs like MIA or JFK, you know that customs line can be 1.5-2 hours if you are unlucky.

GE lasts for 5 years? I thought for 100$ it was only good for a year... if its for 5 years, that is well worth it

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wrgold For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wrgold View Post
    GE lasts for 5 years? I thought for 100$ it was only good for a year... if its for 5 years, that is well worth it
    the guy at immigrations in Ft Lauderdale should have made a point of the costs and duration.....he said nuthin about that

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWeed View Post
    the guy at immigrations in Ft Lauderdale should have made a point of the costs and duration.....he said nuthin about that
    I'm sure if that had happened in Jamaica, they would have been sure to say that!!

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,369 Times in 2,486 Posts

It most certainly does make a difference in getting pulled in Customs.

I have spoke to many guys on FT that have GE and they said the same thing
    It may not be written, but see how they look at it. You went through the trouble of getting clearance, you are obviously low risk
    A few trips back, an old couple was pulled in Customs line right before me for secondary inspection. I showed them my GE receipyt and away i went.

Plus it gives you a better chance of getting TSA pre check.

But I will mention it again. It saves NO TIME if you have luggage. Which I do 99% of the time.

Yeah, you blow past all the cattle lines in Immigration. You are first to be at luggage. But it still takes them the same amount of time.
    and regardless if your bags are marked priority, they still may not be the first to come out.

if I had to pay for it, I would not think it was worth it. Unless they start TSA precheck for International flights
    But United paid for mine, so no issues.

and yes, JFK immigration is brutal. The one time my GE was a godsend was coming back from Madrid. The line was stupid. I walked down the side and was being cursed out for cutting, went right to the GE and off i went.
    Granted, I had carryon only.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sporthobbyist For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Smile Re: Global entry

Quote Originally Posted by captbartman View Post
    As i travel quite abit to and from work and out of the country i decided to give global entry a try. Now bear on mind I am live in Miami and some airports have not started the program yet. In my opinion it was well worth it, on domestic flights no more shoes and belts off ,quicker lines , way faster thru TSA check points. On international flights customs was a breeze . Went to the kiosk scan my passport ,quick print scan and i was headed to lugguge area , no lines. After luggage separate line gave card kiosk printed and was on my way to a cab. Only pain was after online questionaire , had to appear for interview that was just photo taken for ID card. For those of you that travel alot might be worth looking into......

Hello,

I purchased my card almost 8 months ago and is definitely worth every dime. Dealing with customs is awesome because you don't have to fill out forms just go to a kiosk and that is it ...

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to justin082176 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,369 Times in 2,486 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by justin082176 View Post
    Hello,

I purchased my card almost 8 months ago and is definitely worth every dime. Dealing with customs is awesome because you don't have to fill out forms just go to a kiosk and that is it ...
    except in HNL!!!!
    You have no option
    . They have machines but you cannot use them. Fill out card and full TSA inspection again.
    But I qualified for TSA precheck there and was through in a minute

Also GE is bullshit in GUM.
    There are 4 machines and I do the thing and then we are stuck at a locked door!!! For like 10-15 minutes
    Meanwhile everyone who does a regular immigration process joins you as you hit a TSA check that has the most fucked up lines.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sporthobbyist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,334 Times in 1,113 Posts

Any body have GE that has had a DWI? I have read they disqualify you for that..I had a DWI ,20+ years ago....so i have been hesitant to even apply.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kitie carson For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I just wanted to share my recent experience coming back from Colombia. I use the GE kiosk and an agent pulls me over and asks me to go to the screening area.. He goes through my bags and the whole time grills me what I was doing in Colombia. Why I go so many times. If I have a girlfriend there. Why I didn't go see her if I was in Colombia (She is in MDE and I went to CTG). Does she know I am going to CTG. I was kind of getting irritated. What is it any of your business if she knows or not. Anyways, after finish going through my bags, he lets me go.

So I just wanted to reiterate that GE pass DOES NOT prevent you from getting your bag searched or questioned!

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hioctane For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 87,562 Times in 8,809 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWeed View Post
    kinda wish mi had it last night........might have been the difference between making mi connecting flight or not....
    in Ft Lauderdale last night wi had a long ass wait to get thru immigrations.......
    worst line mi have ever been in to get thru any immigrations.......
    though mi will give credit where it is do......they did process a ton of people in short time..........
    one of the Immigration guys was handing out the Global Entry folder.........
    and giving his sales pitch on this being the wave of the future......
    though he said if you only travel once a year it is probably not worth it.......
    but for people that travel quite a bit he said it was well worth it........mi concur
    so after doing the OJ sprint to get to mi connecting flight........mi showed up at the gate.....
    and guess what.......that beautiful airline Spirit delayed their flight 3 hours........WTF
    evidently some Spirit idiot decided to send our Tampa plane down to Santo Domingo....
    to pick up a load of travelers instead of us leaving on time for Tampa....
    it was bad enuff having mi first leg being an hour late.........but being 3 hours late on the last leg is unforgiveable
    did 12 legs of travel to Jamaica in the last year and this was the first time mi had to put up with this horseshit
    SPIRIT SUCKS!...yo los desto!

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 118 Posts

Laughing Re: Global entry

I had been thinking about doing this for awhile too. Even got so far as filling out the app but not pulling the trigger because i was still weighing the value. This morning i remembered how long it took me to go through immigration the last time while seeing the GE kiosks looking like an overpriced chica at 6am.....alone and begging for action. Pulled the trigger today and will see what happens.

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Majicman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Majicman View Post
    I had been thinking about doing this for awhile too. Even got so far as filling out the app but not pulling the trigger because i was still weighing the value. This morning i remembered how long it took me to go through immigration the last time while seeing the GE kiosks looking like an overpriced chica at 6am.....alone and begging for action. Pulled the trigger today and will see what happens.
    I also didn't see any value until the last few trips. Since I primarily fly out of FLL, the line at immigration was never really that long, maybe a 20-30 minute line tops, however, the last few trips the line has been in the second room, and maybe an hour perhaps even longer, $100 for 5 years doesn't seem that bad of an expense assuming I take 4 trips a year, thats only $5 a trip.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,527 Times in 1,081 Posts

It took me two hours plus to get thru customs in FLL when I returned from Medellin. I think its a no brainer, I am getting it

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wrgold For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wrgold View Post
    It took me two hours plus to get thru customs in FLL when I returned from Medellin. I think its a no brainer, I am getting it
    Not sure if it was delays or just the norm, but that second room which in all my trips I have never seen used but was full of people on line for immigration. I usually pay for a seat in the front on Spirit, just to beat the people on the plane to immigration, but when I got off, there was already 400-500 people in front of me

The line was constantly moving, but last trip defineltey changed my mind

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

Immigration lines are getting crazy in the USA. we waited over an hour in Toronto to get through they herded us to a waiting area before we could get in line.

Returning last trip I spent over half an hour in San francisco airport and that looks like it was quick now.

I am looking at getting the nexus card now

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread Information