Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: 06/2012 - Global entry

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Re: Global entry

Quote Originally Posted by Kevy View Post
    The one day is after the meddy trip on july 22, I have 10 days after I get back from Pattaya on August 17. the weekend of August 24 is fine with me I might need an oil change for the caddy.
    ok breakfast is on me,,,,,,,,,,,,,not sure if any one else wants to drive to snorewood for breakfast though

btw
    I finally opened the pool today so bringsome hot chicas
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: 06/2012 - Global entry

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/07/tsa-precheck/

If you’re fed up with long lines, full-body scanners, and the occasional cavity search, the TSA will give you a pass for $85 and a background check.

Up until now, the Transportation Safety Administration only offered its PreCheck expedited screening to frequent fliers of specific airlines, Global Entry members, and a few other pre-screening services. That allows “trusted travelers” at participating airports to skip the line, keep their shoes, belts and jackets on, and leave liquids and laptops in their bags.

Beginning this fall, everyone can get in on the TSA PreCheck bandwagon by filling out an online application, providing a verified form of I.D., getting fingerprinted at one of the TSA’s satellite centers, and cutting the federal agency a check for $85. After two to three weeks, you’ll get a “Known Traveler Number” that you’ll input whenever you book a flight, and it’s good for five years.

But don’t count on never getting a pat-down. The TSA makes it clear that it “will always incorporate random and unpredictable security measures” and that anyone that has “certain offenses, such as violations involving fraudulent documents, firearms, explosives, or other prohibited items” shouldn’t count on approval. Noted.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dr1lvr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,726 Times in 1,029 Posts

Global Entry is great; all of you should get it. We in Canada have Nexus. A couple of months ago, believe it or not, I was lucky to apply at at time when the US and Canada had a 2 for 1 deal going on. I had interviews from both US and Canadian officers sitting side by side at their respective terminals and the result is I have both Global Entry and Nexus on my card for $110 Canadian. It lasts 5 years.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Count For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,334 Times in 1,113 Posts

Finally took the Plunge..Filled out GE Application and submitted it...Knowing i had a few "issues" when i was at the green age of 19,(25+ Years ago) I was hesitant, but after reading up on it, I decided to give it a try..Got my "conditional" approval today( Submitted app 8 days ago), So i went to website and set up my interview.

1st Available spot is Mid-March in Honolulu...No other options here in the islands..... SO , Anyone else have a few"issues" when they were younger and get approved? DWI and Misdemeanors only....no other problems since....

Since they were on my application,I assume they already know what they are, so they still Conditionally approved me. Now I assume they will grill me about it when i interview...Is the excuse young ,wild,and dumb OK?

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kitie carson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kitie carson View Post
    Finally took the Plunge..Filled out GE Application and submitted it...Knowing i had a few "issues" when i was at the green age of 19,(25+ Years ago) I was hesitant, but after reading up on it, I decided to give it a try..Got my "conditional" approval today( Submitted app 8 days ago), So i went to website and set up my interview.

1st Available spot is Mid-March in Honolulu...No other options here in the islands..... SO , Anyone else have a few"issues" when they were younger and get approved? DWI and Misdemeanors only....no other problems since....

Since they were on my application,I assume they already know what they are, so they still Conditionally approved me. Now I assume they will grill me about it when i interview...Is the excuse young ,wild,and dumb OK?

I got it in April, best $50 I ever spent. They ran my finger prints and said I did not have a record, so that was good.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

have had a GOES account since 2011.....if you've traveled to the same location repeatedly they will ask why. In my case i've been pulled over on the gang plank getting on the plane leaving the US. Routine questions, how much cash do you have on you,purpose of trip...to there credit,when i went for my interview,everything was documented including how much i had on me.....Unless your convicted felon,answer straight up...they already know,you'll be hurt'in yourself trying to hide something...The best thing about it is when you return to the US....no lines,walk up to kiosk,scan passport,fingerprint,retina scan,fill out customs forms electronicaly,takes less than 2 minutes.....and after you get baggage,cut line and hand them your printed reciept...........You have already been vetted.....it's a close second to E-Z pass...

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cookemup71 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

I'd say you're good to go if you already have the conditional approval.

My interview was nothing more than a quick conversation about where I live and what I do, with a few slightly "off" questions, which I assume was a ploy to see if I would answer correctly. For example: He commented "I see you own a business in the Dominican Republic." I replied "Not exactly, I'm the General Manager" He said, "Oh, right." It lasted all of 3-4 minutes.

I think that by the time you're at the interview, all the investigations have already been done. As the man said, listen carefully and answer honestly.

I also got the "two for one" TSA Pre special combo. A great bargain indeed.

I went through FLL the other day, and the Customs folks were tripping over themselves to get me out the door. When I walked into Immigration, there were probably around 150-175 people in line, and to the side, a roped off walkway to a GE machine in front of an Inspector. I walked past everyone, scanned my passport, got the receipt, took a couple of steps to the inspector, handed him the receipt, and I was out.

From deplaning to climbing on the shuttle outside took maaaybe 5 minutes or so. Excellent!

My only fear is what's going to happen once folks catch on about what a great deal it is. What do you do when there are a hundred GE approved folks at the same time?
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,501 Times in 8,028 Posts

I'm about to submit my application too, renewing my passport first. JFK customs is a bitch!
    I've offended you.....goood

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to eastcoastallstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,284 Times in 14,580 Posts

Global entry is a great thing and pretty much hassle free.

Although last time I came through Miami they now have 12 kiosks setup in the hall and 8 of them were out of service that day.

But even with 4 kiosks it is so much faster.

Their setup for the tsa precheck line at Miami is a little hokie
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

guess its time for me to apply
    I had two hours to clear customs in dulles (Washington) yesterday to make my connection home and had to run thru the airport to catch my flight

while I was standing in line I was watching kevy thru the glass as he impatiently waited for his suitcase to come out as he cleared in 3 fuckin minutes with nexus/global

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    Global entry is a great thing and pretty much hassle free.

Although last time I came through Miami they now have 12 kiosks setup in the hall and 8 of them were out of service that day.

But even with 4 kiosks it is so much faster.

Their setup for the tsa precheck line at Miami is a little hokie
    Yeah... I've gone through twice where they were routing folks from the regular line into the TSA pre line because of the backlog. That shoots the "pre" all to hell.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    I'd say you're good to go if you already have the conditional approval.

My interview was nothing more than a quick conversation about where I live and what I do, with a few slightly "off" questions, which I assume was a ploy to see if I would answer correctly. For example: He commented "I see you own a business in the Dominican Republic." I replied "Not exactly, I'm the General Manager" He said, "Oh, right." It lasted all of 3-4 minutes.

I think that by the time you're at the interview, all the investigations have already been done. As the man said, listen carefully and answer honestly.

I also got the "two for one" TSA Pre special combo. A great bargain indeed.

I went through FLL the other day, and the Customs folks were tripping over themselves to get me out the door. When I walked into Immigration, there were probably around 150-175 people in line, and to the side, a roped off walkway to a GE machine in front of an Inspector. I walked past everyone, scanned my passport, got the receipt, took a couple of steps to the inspector, handed him the receipt, and I was out.

From deplaning to climbing on the shuttle outside took maaaybe 5 minutes or so. Excellent!

My only fear is what's going to happen once folks catch on about what a great deal it is. What do you do when there are a hundred GE approved folks at the same time?
    That is a long interview, mine was the Canadian guy asking why I wanted it and I said to avoid lines and he said ok. The US guy didn't ask anything, just said I had no record and this is how it works.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 1,038 Posts

As far as the Pre check part of Global Entry..... Last flight Ihad was on American Airlines out of La Guardia, the Pre check line was long, and the non pre check line people were walking right up to the medal detectors / x ray machines. People have already caught on and its no longer the best kept secret.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gutter Meat For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevy View Post
    That is a long interview, mine was the Canadian guy asking why I wanted it and I said to avoid lines and he said ok. The US guy didn't ask anything, just said I had no record and this is how it works.
    It's kinda funny.. When I went for the interview, I wasn't sure where the office is located(it's near Lufthansa). I saw a Customs guy and asked him if he could direct me, and he told me he worked there, so I could walk with him.

Nice guy. We exchanged pleasantries on the way. When we got to the office, I had about an hour wait, and by luck of the draw he was the one that did my interview.

The next time I flew into MIA, I went to the GE kiosks, and he was there doing maintenance on the machines. I laughed and said hi, and made a comment about him being the guy that does all the work, and he jokingly went into a rant about what a pain in the butt it was to keep the machines functioning.

He said that in the office where they process GE applications, there are only a few officers, and he was the one that was most technically inclined, so he ended up fixing the machines all the time.

It was kinda funny to see a guy with the Customs uniform with utility belt full of gadgets and a holstered gun doing maintenance work.

28. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Meat View Post
    As far as the Pre check part of Global Entry..... Last flight Ihad was on American Airlines out of La Guardia, the Pre check line was long, and the non pre check line people were walking right up to the medal detectors / x ray machines. People have already caught on and its no longer the best kept secret.
    You have not experienced LONG until you waited in the Security line at the JFK DELTA terminal, taking one of their EVENING flights to like STI.. all the EURO flights leave in the evening at around the same time...
    It was the first time it took me like 90 Minutes, thats an hour an a half, to get thru security, and the TSA reps who ran the lines were complete morons. 2 ladies who were no more than 3 minutes ahead of me, cuz I sat next to them before I entered the line, they ended up getting thru over half hour before I did..
    So a 3 minute Piss stop cost me 30 minutes... thats why they tell you to arrive like 2 + hours early.. would have missed my flight for sure.

This GE thing is a winner , no matter how you slice it..

30. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    You have not experienced LONG until you waited in the Security line at the JFK DELTA terminal, taking one of their EVENING flights to like STI.. all the EURO flights leave in the evening at around the same time...
    It was the first time it took me like 90 Minutes, thats an hour an a half, to get thru security, and the TSA reps who ran the lines were complete morons. 2 ladies who were no more than 3 minutes ahead of me, cuz I sat next to them before I entered the line, they ended up getting thru over half hour before I did..
    So a 3 minute Piss stop cost me 30 minutes... thats why they tell you to arrive like 2 + hours early.. would have missed my flight for sure.

This GE thing is a winner , no matter how you slice it..
    My first time using GE was exactly as you described.
    I got to the JFK DELTA terminal for a late STI flight about an an hour and ten minutes before the flight.
    I saw all those people and said "WTF..I'm screwed"

But low and behold...TSA Pre was on my boarding pass.
    No line, no laptop/shoe removal. I was sitting at the gate with an hour to spare.

32. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mrblackluv For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,334 Times in 1,113 Posts

Just finished my interview in Houston , and approved before I finished the video....I got in early and a walked in 1 hour before my scheduled interview time and asked if he could take me early....

Only 1 other guy in there and he was already to the video part...The Customs Agent said have a seat and if the other appt's are late he would take me...Nice laid back guy...

I read WAY too many horror stories on Flyertalk forums concerning the "interview" and Criminal check part of it so I was kind of nervous...

Even though I passed the preliminary background check and made them aware of my "indescrepancies" 25+ years ago! I read a few stories of people still being denied at the interview portion.. so I walked in expecting to plead my case and beg for forgiveness and admission to program..

The agent took all my ID's and conditional approval letter and pulled me up on screen....Asked me if I had ever been arrested and told him yes 25+ years ago....he asked me what for and I told him and he said! it's 50/50 if they would approve me..he had to wait and see what the Fingerprint Background check with FBI showed...

he then took my pic and fingerprinted me and ran my prints..........He then said NOTHiNG is coming up, am I sure I was arrested?..lol I said pretty damn sure..lol I was in cuffs and had to goto pokey to bail out..
    he then said he had to call his superior, and if this was indeed the case, no record in database, I should be good to go....

The only thing I could think of was my family had me in is alternative sentencing program ,but I didn't think that the record would be stricken , as it still shows up in my work background checks..(Needless to say but going to anyway,KIDS ,never steal a bigger than life size Ronald McDonald from Playland, just to ride with him in the back of a pick up truck at 2 AM, You WILL be caught....won't show up that way on your record...believe me!)

made the the call then ran my name,birthdate ,SS number and fingerprint s and not a thing showed up...Supervisor said Ok, he said OK and I he turned the video on, I got my approval letter emailed to me before I finished the video...
    NICE...

Waiting for my plane to SJO now....may my trip commence ...
    Last edited by kitie carson; 02-22-2014 at 05:38 PM.

34. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kitie carson For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just finished my interview in Houston , and approved before I finished the video....I got in early and a walked in 1 hour before my scheduled interview time and asked if he could take me early....

Only 1 other guy in there and he was already to the video part...The Customs Agent said have a seat and if the other appt's are late he would take me...Nice laid back guy...

I read WAY too many horror stories on Flyertalk forums concerning the "interview" and Criminal check part of it so I was kind of nervous...

Even though I passed the preliminary background check and made them aware of my "indescrepancies" 25+ years ago! I read a few stories of people still being denied at the interview portion.. so I walked in expecting to plead my case and beg for forgiveness and admission to program..

The agent took all my ID's and conditional approval letter and pulled me up on screen....Asked me if I had ever been arrested and told him yes 25+ years ago....he asked me what for and I told him and he said! it's 50/50 if they would approve me..he had to wait and see what the Fingerprint Background check with FBI showed...

he then took my pic and fingerprinted me and ran my prints..........He then said NOTHiNG is coming up, am I sure I was arrested?..lol I said pretty damn sure..lol I was in cuffs and had to goto pokey to bail out..
    he then said he had to call his superior, and if this was indeed the case, no record in database, I should be good to go....

The only thing I could think of was my family had me in is alternative sentencing program ,but I didn't think that the record would be stricken , as it still shows up in my work background checks..(Needless to say but going to anyway,KIDS ,never steal a bigger than life size Ronald McDonald from Playland, just to ride with him in the back of a pick up truck at 2 AM, You WILL be caught....won't show up that way on your record...believe me!)

made the the call then ran my name,birthdate ,SS number and fingerprint s and not a thing showed up...Supervisor said Ok, he said OK and I he turned the video on, I got my approval letter emailed to me before I finished the video...
    NICE...

Waiting for my plane to SJO now....may my trip commence ...
    it is nice and you can use global entry within an hour of the interview. I used it the next day.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,501 Times in 8,028 Posts

How does global entry work in other countries? Do you get to skip the line on the way back? Does it means that instead of getting to the airport 2-3 hours ahead, I can get there with 30 minutes to board?

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eastcoastallstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastallstar View Post
    How does global entry work in other countries? Do you get to skip the line on the way back? Does it means that instead of getting to the airport 2-3 hours ahead, I can get there with 30 minutes to board?
    Only works for returning to the US, Canada and Mexico
    Yes when you return to the USA you go the the global entry machine and do not have to fill out the card as it is done on the machine. Not to be confused with the other machines there. Most times you do not have to talk to anyone,

No you still have to arrive early, but 30 minutes is no good. Especially on international flights.

Also there is a special lane in many airports for security that you get to use and is faster, no taking shoes off, computers out as you are a trusted traveler.

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread Information