Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: immigration posts

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Re: 01/2012 - Another day in another year

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    All very accurate except for that last sentence. 1st off, you can't even sign a lease without Dominican sponsorship if you don't have at least a residency visa. You have no standing in a court without it. It's nothing like the USA. You have no rights to speak of except to get on the plane (if they let you) and go the fuck back to wherever you came from. This is clearly not aimed at "Gringos or Euros" and is just as clearly aimed directly at the Millions of Haitians who currently reside in the Dominican Republic.

Oh sure, they'll find some deadbeat Gringo/Euro trash to hold up as front Men for their "crackdown on illegal immigration" but everyone can see where this is going. It's a Dominican logic application:

"My Dog has fleas. The Eco lovers will stop supporting me if I spray the Dog, the animal rights people will stop supporting me if I put one of those carcinogenic collars on it and I need their money, what can I do? Hmmm......I'm going to shave the Daam Dog!".
    Close, but not entirely correct. All of the property I have purchased here on the island has been without a Dominican sponsor, at least, not one that I was aware of. But then again, that could be because of my residency.

As far as the euro/gringo trash, if you're not following the daily news rags, you wouldn't be aware of all the trash they catch and send back to their home countries.

I would feel safe to say that for quite a few years now, the country has been averaging 2-3 a month, with the resulting public announcements of "another one caught and deported."

A lot of that is being done with the "assistance" of Interpol and the DEA.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,964 Times in 1,262 Posts

Re: immigration posts

From a well known law firm, posted on another website: Unfortunately, the Decree (631-11) which establishes the new regulations for the Immigration Law have been enforced from June 1st. This Decree was passed on October 19th, 2011 and at this moment, the Migration Department constantly changes its criteria of application of some rules set forth by Law 285-04 and its Regulations. It's better to wait until the Migration Department confirms how these new rules will be enforced. This might save you time, expenses and efforts as right now we are still on transition phase with an evident conflict between previous rules and new ones.

However, according with the information that you have provided, please find below the provisions that the Decree establishes (Arts. 82-83) for your case:

• Due to you're canadian citizen, at this moment, you don't need a tourist visa. Therefore, the tourist card will be enough for you to stay legally in Dominican Republic. However, the Decree establishes that the maximum stay for any tourist person is sixty (60) days, and in order to complete all the requirements, you will need:

-Passport, with at least six months of validity;
    -Air, sea or land tickets for the revenue and the return to your country;
    -An address in the Dominican Republic;
    -Proof of sufficient funds to cover your expenses during your stay in the Dominican Republic.

• During your stay at the Dominican Republic, you have the right to apply for a extended stay for sixty (60) days more. In order to do this, you will need:

-Passport, with at least six months of validity, stating to count from the date of the extended stay;
    -Air, sea or land tickets for the return to your country;
    -An address in the Dominican Republic;
    -Proof of sufficient funds to cover your expenses during your stay in the Dominican Republic;
    -Medical certificate issued by a licensed physician with the appropriate exequatur;
    -Forms and legal fees.

Finally, you can only apply once for the extended stay.

If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to contact us again.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Close, but not entirely correct. All of the property I have purchased here on the island has been without a Dominican sponsor, at least, not one that I was aware of. But then again, that could be because of my residency.

As far as the euro/gringo trash, if you're not following the daily news rags, you wouldn't be aware of all the trash they catch and send back to their home countries.

I would feel safe to say that for quite a few years now, the country has been averaging 2-3 a month, with the resulting public announcements of "another one caught and deported."

A lot of that is being done with the "assistance" of Interpol and the DEA.
    It's exactly because of your status as a legal resident. Without it you would be limited to working through an agent, adding expense and a measure of doubt to your transactions.

The "assistance of Interpol and the DEA" should read "at the Direction of Interpol and the DEA"....and now the IRS. The people who run the DR are fully aware of who their Masters are and they do their bidding to keep their licenses to steal current.

There are no accidents here. The people who plan the economic development of the region also plan the military development of the region. Hugo Chavez and Fidel Castro and Daniel Ortega, Evo Morales and a handful of others are flies in the ointment. These are actually two separate discussions but they are directly related.

http://www.carlisle.army.mil/usawc/p...994/ramsey.htm
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    ......A lot of that is being done with the "assistance" of Interpol and the DEA.
    yeah they are assisting big time already, just the other night, early night, maybe around 8 or 9pm, I was sitting in a colmado having a beer, with another African American ex - pat, on Duarte. There was a hispanic looking guy, with another guy (and they both had expensive looking camera equipment with them), and I had seen them pass by us earlier in the night, but wasn't really paying attention to them and what they were doing. At one point the chica we were with started yelling at someone that was behind me, I turned and it was the same hispanic guy. He was taking pics of our group and the chica spotted him doing it. The other ex-pat acknowledged that the guy had been trying to take pics of him all night, but when he saw him he just turned away. The ex-pat had been a high level gov't worker in his previous life, and told me that it happens all the time, and that they were looking to take pictures for face recognition, to see if you were wanted somewhere.

Later that night maybe twenty minutes later after we chased them off after the chica started yelling at them, I see the hispanic guy again, pointing his camera this time directly at me. I pointed at him, quickly got out of my seat, and started to approach the guy. Never saw a guy jump on a moto faster, as I approached he sped off, the moto was waiting probably another agent. So yeah they are definitely increasing their efforts.
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thumbs Down Re: immigration posts

I estimate the cost process to acquire RESIDENCY to be $2,000 to $3,000.(Air travel, car rental, hotels, lawyer, govt. fees, food, etc.)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    I estimate the cost process to acquire RESIDENCY to be $2,000 to $3,000.(Air travel, car rental, hotels, lawyer, govt. fees, food, etc.)
    I understand there was a 6 month grace period where a person could acquire residency without incurring most of those costs. Who am I to talk? I wrote the book on procrastination!!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snoozer For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Actually you're only halfway there if you decide to go through a Dominican Lawyer. My Buddy recently put 4 Months deposit ($2,200) down on a 1 year apartment lease. At the advice of a Dominican friend in NJ he is applying for Residency through the Dominican Consulate here and only has to pay the application fees, no lawyers.

When he begins his residency he will not be able to travel outside the DR (emergencies are excluded on a case-by-case basis) for 6 Months and after that he will be limited to 60 Days/ year of foreign travel. This will also exempt his first $91,000 of CY 2013 from US Federal income taxes. He is expecting a lump sum distribution which he has been advised to defer until Jan 2013. The money he saves will allow him to finish furnishing the (4BR) apartment, send his novia and her Mom and Sisters to the salon every Day and buy thousands and thousands of Presidentes for her extended family. He will be the Godfather (Patron) for the next 30 Babies born in her Campo.

I'm changing my signature.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Mad Re: immigration posts

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    Actually you're only halfway there if you decide to go through a Dominican Lawyer.

When he begins his residency he will not be able to travel outside the DR (emergencies are excluded on a case-by-case basis) for 6 Months and after that he will be limited to 60 Days/ year of foreign travel.
    To me, this is devastating!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

To me, this is devastating!
    Then do the 30 day Tourist visa with the 30 day extension, go home and come back. There are no "conditions" for a Tourist visa from the US other than paying the $10.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information