Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: immigration posts

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

Re: 01/2012 - Another day in another year

Quote Originally Posted by snoozer View Post
    WW, is it your understanding that this 60 day visa is only required for those people wishing to apply for residency? If I come to the DR for my usual 6 to 7 week visit can I just continue to pay the overstay fine when I leave? If I have to go through this bullshit and pay $125 for the privilege of spending my hard earned tourist dollars in this country, then I will be moving on.
    From what I understand the tourist visas will remain more or less the same, but this is the DR so who really knows!

(maybe a Mod can move all this immigration discussion out of Robert's thread)

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

How long is the drive to Haiti?
    Enjoy it while you can.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    No, they are trying to get rid of the expats criminals running from the law in their own country.

They're trying to show they are serious about going after criminals and drug runners. And why not? The USA has been dumping all of their Dominican convicted criminals here for years.

I've had various discussions with some folks about what is required to open a bank account and buy Certificates of Deposit here, only to be told I don't know what I'm talking about, even though a BPD vice president gave them to me.

You'll notice that all the requirements I've been telling folks are listed.
    This is just my opinion, but I think the ULTIMATE plan perhaps is to SEIZE the Bank accounts, of those DEPORTED..
    Didnt Panama seize all the Bank assets of all the big time Drug Dealers back in the day, those who had made huge deposits there, thinking it was safe ?
    Dont forget, the DR is NOT the USA , where you have Due Process. and all that pesky constitution & Bill of Rights stuff.(sarcasm)
    thoughts ?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillie View Post
    From what I understand the tourist visas will remain more or less the same, but this is the DR so who really knows!

i was going to but as we have hit 64 pages robert will be closing it down soon and getting on to the next live in the dr part 69
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Still should be moved, to the immigration section of the board, so that those who want the information, can find it under the immigration section and not have to go through 60 something pages of Robert's life to find the information. If they even know or remember it is here.
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

[QUOTE=yayow;1128021]Still should be moved, to the immigration section of the board, so that those who want the information, can find it under the immigration section and not have to go through 60 something pages of Robert's life to find the information. If they even know or remember it is here.[/QUOTE]

i never knew we had a section for immigration.............. guess i wasn't interested

but your right so i will move these. thanks

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks

maybe a Mod can move all this immigration discussion out of Robert's thread
    done.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,964 Times in 1,262 Posts

Mad Re: 01/2012 - Another day in another year

Quote Originally Posted by snoozer View Post
    WW, is it your understanding that this 60 day visa is only required for those people wishing to apply for residency? If I come to the DR for my usual 6 to 7 week visit can I just continue to pay the overstay fine when I leave? If I have to go through this bullshit and pay $125 for the privilege of spending my hard earned tourist dollars in this country, then I will be moving on.
    As will I !!!!!!!!!!!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Cool Re: 01/2012 - Another day in another year

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWeed View Post
    that is how it works at mi favorite country.....you can stay 3 months and renew for 3 but then you have to leave....then come back
    wouldn't be surprised if that's the same with the DR now.........does Roberto have residency?
    What is your favorite country?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    What is your favorite country?
    Come on Sidney we all know Seaweed's favorite country, it's JA land, Jamaica !

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: immigration posts

My initial reaction to this bullshit is: Hello AR, BR, UR, Chile, EC, PN, NIC, PP, Thailand, etc.!

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 303 Posts

I'm anxious to see how this plays out. If they enforce the new law, the 6 month snowbirds will stop coming. They won't waste their time getting a residency and they won't waste the thousands of dollars it takes to get it. How will they police all of this? The only way I can see how they can control it is at the airport when you leave....and you're on your way out anyway.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sopranostingray For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sopranostingray View Post
    I'm anxious to see how this plays out. If they enforce the new law, the 6 month snowbirds will stop coming. They won't waste their time getting a residency and they won't waste the thousands of dollars it takes to get it. How will they police all of this? The only way I can see how they can control it is at the airport when you leave....and you're on your way out anyway.
    They will make you pay at that point.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,650 Times in 2,270 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    This is just my opinion, but I think the ULTIMATE plan perhaps is to SEIZE the Bank accounts, of those DEPORTED..
    Didnt Panama seize all the Bank assets of all the big time Drug Dealers back in the day, those who had made huge deposits there, thinking it was safe ?
    Dont forget, the DR is NOT the USA , where you have Due Process. and all that pesky constitution & Bill of Rights stuff.(sarcasm)
    thoughts ?
    Is that tin foil hat on tight enough? The ULTIMATE plan is to remove all Haitians from the Dominican Republic. However, due to pressure from the UN, OAS, etc., the DR can no longer just go up to black people, ask them to say "perejil" and then remove them from the country. In order to continue being internationally recognized and obtain loans from IMF and World Bank, as well keep allowing foreign companies to bribe politicians to destroy DR's natural resources, the govt has to achieve it's goals of removing every Haitian from the country by enacting a general anti-immigrant law and enforcing it on all non-Dominicans and not just Haitians. That way, the next time Martelly goes to the UN to complain about the treatment of Haitians in the DR, Danilo can say "It's not because they're Haitian, it's because we treat all illegal aliens that way." The expats with money in the bank don't have much to worry about since with modern electronic banking, they can transfer their money to almost any other bank in the world. The expats that have bought real estate or businesses are the ones that could be fucked.

Click here for the "perejil" reference - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsley_Massacre

28. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to uncle ruckus For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Mad Re: 01/2012 - Another day in another year

Quote Originally Posted by uncle ruckus View Post
    The expats that have bought real estate or businesses are the ones that could be fucked.

Click here for the "perejil" reference - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsley_Massacre
    Yes, property prices will plumment !

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Well I guess if the D.R. is successful in getting rid of the Haitianas that are not fully documented many of our members will be moving to Haiti for their Haitian fix, or vacationing there, ...... I guess I will see you guys around.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 303 Posts

I doubt it's gonna go as easy as it seems and throwing out gringos that spend ridiculous amounts of money makes no sense. However, being that is makes no sense is what worries me. I guess we will wait and see.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sopranostingray For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

I read on DR1 that the tourist visa will now be for 60 days with an option to renew for a further 60 days. Not sure how accurate this info is.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snoozer For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    Yes, property prices will plumment !
    Fine with me. I'm still kicking myself in the butt for not buying that villa in Villa Linda for 57K back in 2000.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

38. The Following User Says Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by uncle ruckus View Post
    Is that tin foil hat on tight enough? The ULTIMATE plan is to remove all Haitians from the Dominican Republic. However, due to pressure from the UN, OAS, etc., the DR can no longer just go up to black people, ask them to say "perejil" and then remove them from the country. In order to continue being internationally recognized and obtain loans from IMF and World Bank, as well keep allowing foreign companies to bribe politicians to destroy DR's natural resources, the govt has to achieve it's goals of removing every Haitian from the country by enacting a general anti-immigrant law and enforcing it on all non-Dominicans and not just Haitians. That way, the next time Martelly goes to the UN to complain about the treatment of Haitians in the DR, Danilo can say "It's not because they're Haitian, it's because we treat all illegal aliens that way." The expats with money in the bank don't have much to worry about since with modern electronic banking, they can transfer their money to almost any other bank in the world. The expats that have bought real estate or businesses are the ones that could be fucked.

All very accurate except for that last sentence. 1st off, you can't even sign a lease without Dominican sponsorship if you don't have at least a residency visa. You have no standing in a court without it. It's nothing like the USA. You have no rights to speak of except to get on the plane (if they let you) and go the fuck back to wherever you came from. This is clearly not aimed at "Gringos or Euros" and is just as clearly aimed directly at the Millions of Haitians who currently reside in the Dominican Republic.

Oh sure, they'll find some deadbeat Gringo/Euro trash to hold up as front Men for their "crackdown on illegal immigration" but everyone can see where this is going. It's a Dominican logic application:

"My Dog has fleas. The Eco lovers will stop supporting me if I spray the Dog, the animal rights people will stop supporting me if I put one of those carcinogenic collars on it and I need their money, what can I do? Hmmm......I'm going to shave the Daam Dog!".
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information