Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Must Have Iphone Apps for Sosua

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,650 Times in 2,270 Posts

Re: Must Have Iphone Apps for Sosua

One app I always use when traveling somewhere new is Google Maps. Update to the version where you can save maps onto your phone so you can use it even when you're offline. You center the map to where you want, long-press and save to your SD card, voila, a 10-mile radius map that you can use just like if you're online. It's saved my ass more than once when visiting a new city or foreign country.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to uncle ruckus For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My previous message got deleted so here is a short version

Kindle app. (free and inexpensive books for the flight)

Tripit app. (flight tracking)

Live 365 radio app.

Facebook app.

Ifax app. you can send faxes of up to five pages for a dollar

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Must Have Iphone Apps for Sosua - blackberry?

I have a blackberry with a sim card, can I just buy a claro or orange sim card in DR, put it in my blackberry and use that as my DR phone in Sosua? Is it that simple or do I need to unlock the phone with verizon in the US first?

The change in sim with data, etc. should just make the phone compatible with their voice and data network, no?

Thanks
    Thanked 15,894 Times in 1,768 Posts

Re: Must Have Iphone Apps for Sosua - blackberry?

Quote Originally Posted by rosine View Post
    I have a blackberry with a sim card, can I just buy a claro or orange sim card in DR, put it in my blackberry and use that as my DR phone in Sosua? Is it that simple or do I need to unlock the phone with verizon in the US first?

The change in sim with data, etc. should just make the phone compatible with their voice and data network, no?
    Get it unlocked.......
    "You're only as old as the woman you feel" Groucho Marx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to drdreamer For This Useful Post:

JDR

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,973 Times in 2,414 Posts

How did Jibbigo English-Spanish work for you while in sosua? I saw mixed reviews online. Also does this really work without a cell phone or wifi connection?

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    Got my iphone ready for my trip to Sosua.
    Already have some apps that hopefully will help me on the trip such as

Translators
    Google translate
    Jibbigo English-Spanish (Because it works offline)
    Itranslate voice
    (Seems like they all have somewhat different results)

Currency translator
    Exchange LE

Text + gold for free texting

Got my music apps, weather channel and others

Any other must have apps that others who have been there find useful for the journey?

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LJDMV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

music stuff

kazaam - you hear a song you like and kazaam will identify it for you

spotify - spotify fucking rocks. nuff said.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

Just got soundhound last week (the free version).

Its got about a 75% success rate with recognizing Latino songs on the local radio station.

My collection is growing nicely now.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,284 Times in 14,580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LJDMV View Post
    How did Jibbigo English-Spanish work for you while in sosua? I saw mixed reviews online. Also does this really work without a cell phone or wifi connection?
    I dont like Jibbigo to much as it seemed kinda slow for me on my Iphone 3g but was faster on the 4S. However, it works without a wifi connection which the other translators that I have don't so I like it in that regard. I only have a smart phone with me so I don't know how it works on other equipment

Google translate seems to work pretty good for me. I don't know why but I think the Google translate that you get on the computer works better at translation than the Iphone app of Google translate does. Seems like they would work the same but for me they don't the computer version will do a better job of correcting misspelled words.
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Whats the point of having all these APPS on your IPHONE, specifically for Sosua, especially like translate APPS, IF your Data Roaming is turned OFF ? (and if you DO leave Data Roaming ON, you are in for a BIG Surpise when you get back stateside and your bill arrives.. better sit down when you open that bill)
    I fully understand that you can use it where WI FI is available.. Thats awesome..
    but what you gonna do, ask a chica to "walk over here" so you can use the translator in a wifi area ?
    I guess that would work some of the time..
    but obviously the GPS function you can not use.
    These Apps ,IMO are very useful, IF you didnt bring a LAP TOP with you..
    But if you already have a Lap top, they are kind of redundant, no ?
    just asking.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Enjoy all the apps you want, but if you really think any of them are "must have" you have been brain-washed.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Enjoy all the apps you want, but if you really think any of them are "must have" you have been brain-washed.
    luddite!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    Whats the point of having all these APPS on your IPHONE, specifically for Sosua, especially like translate APPS, IF your Data Roaming is turned OFF ? (and if you DO leave Data Roaming ON, you are in for a BIG Surpise when you get back stateside and your bill arrives.. better sit down when you open that bill)
    I fully understand that you can use it where WI FI is available.. Thats awesome..
    but what you gonna do, ask a chica to "walk over here" so you can use the translator in a wifi area ?
    I guess that would work some of the time..
    but obviously the GPS function you can not use.
    These Apps ,IMO are very useful, IF you didnt bring a LAP TOP with you..
    But if you already have a Lap top, they are kind of redundant, no ?
    just asking.
    I have two iphones.
    One is my USA iphone. The 4S and you are absolutely right about the data roaming. Turn it off and leave it off as iphones are constantly using data and the international roaming charge is a jaw dropper. If you must have data roaming than get a international data roaming plan to help with that cost. But you can get along pretty easily with data roaming turned off. Just use the wifi where available.
    I have world traveler and for 5.99 per month I can call the US for 1.69 per minute and all calls in are at the same rate. I don't answer them as even and unaswered call cost you a minute. Haven't been able to figure out how to make visual voicemail work with the data roaming turned off so I just call and check my messages as necessary. I make all my calls back to the US with a vonage app. Gotta have wifi but the cost is free and you keep your regular number which is cool.

Texts that are sent without a special international plan are like .50 each so I limit my texting accordingly and If I must text someone alot, I use text plus gold.
    Again you need wifi but the cost is nothing.

My other phone is a iphone 3g. I had this one jailbroke and unlocked and than got a claro sim card and some minutes. I use this one for calls and texting within the DR. I can leave data roaming turned on but it really doesnt work all that great.
    I use callingmart.com to add minutes to the phone.
    if you dial *122# while in the DR it will come back with a message telling you what your balance is and when it expires. This is helpful so you know when you need to add RD to your account in order to keep you DR number active. Looks like they expire every 60 days.

I loaded up with the translation apps the first time I went thinking I would need them to communicate. Turned out I really did need them at all.
    Used them every so often on later trips when your talking to a chica and the conversation just does not seem to be getting through.
    It makes it easier.

I just realize there will be some cost of communiction while there.

If you are taking a newer AT&T Iphone to use as your DR phone I would highly recommend that you make sure it is unlocked before you go.
    I took a 3gs that was jailbroken and I thought was unlocked. Turned out, it wasn't unlocked and couldn't find anyone there that could successfully unlock it for me and I tried more than one place.

It has something to do with the baseband. I have since had it unlocked by AT & T when I got back to the US but even that is somewhat of an ordeal in order to get them to unlock it.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    ..... If you are taking a newer AT&T Iphone to use as your DR phone I would highly recommend that you make sure it is unlocked before you go.
    I took a 3gs that was jailbroken and I thought was unlocked. Turned out, it wasn't unlocked and couldn't find anyone there that could successfully unlock it for me and I tried more than one place.

It has something to do with the baseband. I have since had it unlocked by AT & T when I got back to the US but even that is somewhat of an ordeal in order to get them to unlock it.

Very useful Information...
    as to this part above . were u able to make NO calls whatsoever, OR did it do some funky stuff where you COULD make ONE call, and then have to take the Sim back out, and put it back in for another call..?
    Reason I am asking. I thought I was the only one who had this same problem, or that the IMEI # was Blocked with Orange as they partners with AT&T , but it was NOT, turns out, the 3gs, (gsm) phones shipped for AT&T.. there was a problem with many of the SIM card Readers.. I can get you more info if you want.... took the phone to Europe , it did the exact same shit. thats when I knew it was not a Software or unlocking that was the problem.. its a Hardware problem... A bunch of Vids on youtube about how to change the Sim Card reader (if you are mechanically capable, its not that hard )
    This is the kind of Crap that APPLE will NEVER admit to of course, just like the battery life problem now plaguing people who just updated to OS-6 on their Iphone 4's .. (I have a 4S also)

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    Very useful Information...
    as to this part above . were u able to make NO calls whatsoever, OR did it do some funky stuff where you COULD make ONE call, and then have to take the Sim back out, and put it back in for another call..?
    Reason I am asking. I thought I was the only one who had this same problem, or that the IMEI # was Blocked with Orange as they partners with AT&T , but it was NOT, turns out, the 3gs, (gsm) phones shipped for AT&T.. there was a problem with many of the SIM card Readers.. I can get you more info if you want.... took the phone to Europe , it did the exact same shit. thats when I knew it was not a Software or unlocking that was the problem.. its a Hardware problem... A bunch of Vids on youtube about how to change the Sim Card reader (if you are mechanically capable, its not that hard )
    This is the kind of Crap that APPLE will NEVER admit to of course, just like the battery life problem now plaguing people who just updated to OS-6 on their Iphone 4's .. (I have a 4S also)
    When I put the dr sim card in it just said it was searching for the network. I tried a claro and a orange sim card. I came to the conclusion that it just was not unlocked. The process for jailbreaking and unlocking was a little different on the 3gs than it was for the other one which was a 3g so thats why i thought it wasnt unlocked and the two different hombres I took it to both said it wasnt unlocked and they couldnt unlock it.
    So never able to make a call. It could be that it is a hardware issue afterall.
    I will know for sure after i finish the restore on the phone as I guess it will tell me if it is unlocked.
    It did however recognize when I had a AT&T and a claro or orange sim card in the settings so I think it could read the sim card fine.

I haven't upgraded my 4S to OS-6 yet. Not sure that I will as I am contemplating paying the extra 250 and getting the iphone 5.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information