Thread: one way tickets?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,366 Times in 408 Posts

one way tickets?

quick question for everyone. I was looking at prices for the DR and i could not find a good priced direct flight from EWR-POP. I only saw ones with travel times of over 10+ hrs each way. I also looked at flights from JFK-STI and i found some ok prices but the arrival time and departure from STI are in the am, which i do not want to do. I have never done the STI route would much rather do it during the day so that i can catch a bus and head to puerto plata.

So i was thinking of buying a one way ticket from JFK to STI for $163 and then buying a one way return ticket from POP to EWR for $331. So total cost would be around $494. Can this be done or will they make me buy a return ticket when i get to the airport?

The airlines in question are Delta (departure) and AA (return).

Thanks in advance

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dmoney For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 15,894 Times in 1,768 Posts

Re: one way tickets?

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney View Post
    quick question for everyone. I was looking at prices for the DR and i could not find a good priced direct flight from EWR-POP. I only saw ones with travel times of over 10+ hrs each way. I also looked at flights from JFK-STI and i found some ok prices but the arrival time and departure from STI are in the am, which i do not want to do. I have never done the STI route would much rather do it during the day so that i can catch a bus and head to puerto plata.

So i was thinking of buying a one way ticket from JFK to STI for $163 and then buying a one way return ticket from POP to EWR for $331. So total cost would be around $494. Can this be done or will they make me buy a return ticket when i get to the airport?

Thanks in advance
    You should have no problem. I have used 2 separate airlines several times. But that was from Canada.
    "You're only as old as the woman you feel" Groucho Marx

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to drdreamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drdreamer View Post
    You should have no problem. I have used 2 separate airlines several times. But that was from Canada.
    ok i think i will give the airlines a call in the morning just to be sure. thanks

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dmoney For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

My last trip to Boca I used Jetblue there and Spirit back, which I will get into later in my ongoing Boca Chica report but I had both itinerraries printed out in case. Nobody asked me a question about the one way ticket.

I flew out of FLL

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

ok i think i will give the airlines a call in the morning just to be sure. thanks
    Have a print-out of your return ticket with you when you are departing from JFK. They will ask for it. Last August they gave me shit about not having a return flight booked until I got a supervisor to come out and they realized that my flight from JFK was my return trip because I had originated in the Dominican Republic.
    Enjoy it while you can.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,226 Times in 3,237 Posts

I do one ways all the time. Have yet to have an issue, But I have heard others have had problems with that.
    En una tierra de mujeres hermosas, Yo soy El Rey

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to El-Rey For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Thanks in advance

Return ticket checks are arbitrary. I've bought departures 6 weeks in advance and returns the day before the departure. Different airlines, no one challenged me but I brought both itineraries just in case.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

If you want an open-ended return or don't want to decide when you're returning until you're already in the DR there's a really easy way around that bullshit of having to show proof of a return ticket - just book a return flight right before you leave for the airport, print out the itinerary, and cancel the flight when you get to the DR. New FAA regulations allow you to cancel any flight within 24hrs of booking with no fee.

17. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    If you want an open-ended return or don't want to decide when you're returning until you're already in the DR there's a really easy way around that bullshit of having to show proof of a return ticket - just book a return flight right before you leave for the airport, print out the itinerary, and cancel the flight when you get to the DR. New FAA regulations allow you to cancel any flight within 24hrs of booking with no fee.

this is great

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dmoney For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

This was touched on in the Jet Blue Thread as well.. Jet Blue btw, are the biggest Ball Breakers about enforcing the no one way ticket without a VISA rule. But the checks seem to be arbitrary as was said.
    But yes, one way tickets are a great way to save money PLUS get the exact flight times you want because you can use different carriers for each leg. And even diff airports , as you said..

Also If you are staying for a couple weeks +, there is absol no reason why you need to lock yourself into a specific return flight, esp since if you wanted to change your return (sooner or later than original date) , they are going to charge you a LOT of money up to $300 + or more sometimes and they act like they are doing you some kind of favor..
    A longer trip is when I would use Deezl's method and just CANCEL the return flight as soon as you touch down... Now you are free as a bird , and not restricted by any bullshit Airline schedual... Then Buy the return leg whenever you feel like it.
    .. Airlines really suck, and the one way ticket system evens the playing field just a Little bit.

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

is there a money changing place inside STI or do i have to do it outside the airport? i know they do not offer the best rates but i figure that i need to change about 800pesos to cover the taxi ride to the bus station and to pay for a ticket on the metro.

So I just need a little bit of cash until i get to el batey

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dmoney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

Dmoney, I fly various combinations from EWR to SDQ and return from POP to EWR or from JFK and then return to EWR all the time. I've just found it more convenient to purchase combinations of one-way tickets and never had an issue. The only issue I've ever had was that I flew out of JFK for cheap and waited too long to book the return to EWR once and the fare jumped ridiculously high.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

is there a money changing place inside STI or do i have to do it outside the airport? i know they do not offer the best rates but i figure that i need to change about 800pesos to cover the taxi ride to the bus station and to pay for a ticket on the metro.

So I just need a little bit of cash until i get to el batey
    Not sure about the exchange place. But there are ATM's there. If not inside, there are some outside, all the way to the right if your looking at the street when leaving the airport.
    Last edited by TNT72; 06-28-2012 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Don't know my left from right.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

The STI Taxi Mafia is dealing on Dollars now as well... They are on to the mongers who are taking the bus to Sosua to save money over POP flights... So they will quote you $25 to metro (which is the pendejo price) , Then they will quickly drop to $20, and when you counter with $18, (u need to have it exact change) They will TAKE IT.. Of course paying a dude $18 in small bills seems kind of cheezy, but then again.. think about what they doing to you.. Controlling the prices and all.
    So you dont need pesos any more if its just for the STI to the METRO ..but please Dont give them 800 pesos, its 700, and thats the new higher price.

29. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,964 Times in 1,262 Posts

Clap Re: one way tickets?

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    Return ticket checks are arbitrary. I've bought departures 6 weeks in advance and returns the day before the departure. Different airlines, no one challenged me but I brought both itineraries just in case.
    I recently returned MSP/JFK/SDQ on DAL. I used miles for a return POP/MSP on AA just in case. DAL asked for nothing!

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Thread Information