Thread: How Spirit Airlines screwed me

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

How Spirit Airlines screwed me

I was gonna post this to finish up my report, but figured it would be more appropriate in a new thread.

This was the first time this has ever happened to me, and would like to share my experience and advice of how I could of handled it better and what my rights are as a passenger.

So I was scheduled to fly back from SDQ to FLL on Spirit Airlines. The flight was supposed to fly out around 8pm on a sunday. I get to the airport around 6:30pm go through the gate and did a little shopping at the Duty free shop flirting with the girls that work there. After my purchases, I get to the gate and learn that the flight has now been delayed to 11pm. Oh well, got my tablet and was watching some tv shows. I got a seat right by the gate in the front when I notice some people making a scene, and eaves drop on the conversation.

Spirit basically flys from FLL to SDQ, drops people off and picks up people at SDQ and brings them back to FLL. Somebody went on the website and learned that the flight from FLL to SDQ has been canceled.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: How Spirit Airlines screwed me

So there is a girl at the counter by the gate, and people are basically surrounding the counter and I am right in the middle. They are asking all these questions in english and spanish to the girl who basically had no idea, just saying the flight has been delayed. She claimed a manager will be over to explain everything.

I soon realized that this poor girl, getting yelled at and asked a bunch of questions, really had no clue about anything and it really wasn't her fault. She had no power to do anything, I look around and realized that all the people behind me waiting at the gate, have moved to the front of the airport where we have checked in.

By the time I got to the front I was like the 20th or so from the last person from the very very back

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

So I am on line, and already the rumors and angry customers is swirling. People are calling home booking tickets on Jet Blue, calling family etc.

People are asking people who just finished at the counter what the deal was. People walked away saying that all they did was offer a partial refund on the ticket and they were going back to SDQ for example and that they would have to pay for another flight back.

Some customers said that if they wanted to fly on Jetblue, they would have to pay out of pocket. Some customers left without nothing.

Now SPirit only has one flight daily that flys too SDQ and back to FLL so assuming those flights aren't full, I am guessing they are filling those seats on a case by case basis. Sucks to be on the way back of the line.

Rumors are swirling again that they are putting people on the Tuesday flight, which changed to Wedenday which changed to Thursday.

WTF

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

A nice man with an Ipad with a Claro plan was browsing on the Jetblue site and the tickets are going quick, and the prices seem to be going up by the minute. A one way ticket from SDQ to FLL the next day was going for I think $400, which later was sold out, and Tuesday was becoming scarce as well. I wasn't sure if I should do it without getting compensated for the ticket.

Keep in mind that I used miles for this ticket, and only paid sales tax and luggage, so the refund would of been nothing.

I am getting close to the counter and have been overhearing that the next available flight was on Thursday, 4 days later

The I remembered, what about STI? If I could some how get to STI I thought there was flights 3 days a week at like 3am, perhaps instead of missing 4 days of work, I could only miss 1 or 2.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I get to the counter and the guy said the flight has been canceled. No shit, they were going to refund the ticket for the trouble.

I ask how am I supposed to get home? He said I could buy a ticket on the other airlines

I asked if Spirit was going to pay for that flight and they said no. The only way Spirit was going to pay for it, was if it was a Spirit flight and the next available flight was on Thursday.

I told him that i had no money left and the atm card I bought with me has no more cash and the credit card I had did not have a lot of room on it, and I had no where to stay. All lies btw

I asked if it was possible to get me a free ticket at STI, and they said that would not be a problem and they had a flight available at Wed at 3am, so I only had to miss 2 days of work.

He then told me that I had to speak to the manager in the back behind the counter about getting a hotel room.

I get to the back room and there is a line of like 30-40 people WTF, another line of angry gringos.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

More rumors are swirling and conversations with people who have just been helped and we learned that they are sending people by cab to the Quality INN by the SDQ airport by cab a few people at a time.

People were giving other people on line that pretty much everything is negotiable and they are trying to make people pay for the hotel or cabs and you pretty much have to ask for everything which is available apparently by vouchers.

I finally get to the manager, who I guess at this point is exhausted and broken down and is basically just signing vouchers. I asked to change my flight to the STI Wed 3am flight which they did, and I asked them for a rental car, which they said no, they will pay for a cab up to STI, which was sweet

They gave me a voucher for the quality INN for 2 nights with $7 for food, which wasn't a lot but better then nada.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have heard rumors about getting free flights for the trouble but wasn't able to get anything. I kept insisting that I had to cancel another flight from FLL to Vancouver, which was a complete lie, but I needed to pick a location that they did not fly too, and was hoping to get a free round trip somewhere.

My friend on the last MDE trip got one, and figured it was on the table some how, and got no where. I eventually called Spirit and some Indian lady gave me a $50 voucher with an expiration date to use in the future. Could not get anything else.

So to recap

My flight is Sunday which was canceled
    • The switched the flight for free from SDQ to STI, same big front seat and luggage situation so I thought. I later found out the douche bag didn't transfer the carry on luggage and I ended up buying it online and not taking a chance on the more expensive rate at check in. In addition, I bought a carton of cigs, cologne and a bottle of scotch at the duty free, and needed to change it to Checked in Luggage which I had to pay $30 for. but the big front seat did transfer over.
    • They paid for 2 nights at the quality inn and $7 for food, which I barely used except for the breakfast buffet since I went back to Boca Chica.
    • They paid for a cab ride up to STI
    • I later called and got a $50 voucher for my troubles.

So did I leave anything on the table??

Would you have done things differently?

And did I miss anything obvious as a passenger and entitled to something I missed out on?

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,426 Times in 4,640 Posts

No Voucher for some Boca Cnhica Pussy ??? WTF
    Helping the 3rd world economy, one chica at a time !!!

Thanks
    Thanked 27,482 Times in 5,636 Posts

Yeah, Spirit is a trip. Knock on wood, the two times I have used that airline, there have been no issues, but I know of at least 3 friends who have been put through the wringer. The worst was my ex-neighbor who was supposed to visit us in Medellin during Christmas 2010. The snow storm closed Atlantic City and a lot of other airports down. The kid took a week of vacation, but the soonest Spirit could book him was 6 days after his original departure date. Spirit does not cooperate with other airlines, so there is no redundancy or back-up in case of delays or cancellations.

I think you did about as well as anyone could with your consolation prize from Spirit.
    Blue Devil

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueDevil For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

dayum........that had to be hell mon...........that story certainly doesn't help their position with this guy

mi flew Spirit in Jan down and back to Montego Bay and it's really like a cattle wagon on the plane.....
    flew AirTran this past Sunday and what a friggin difference from the two airlines.......
    AirTran was so well organized from checking in bags and checking in at the gate.....very smooth and quick
    and on the plane the seats were very comfortable and the plane was spotless.......
    the planes on Spirit sometimes look like they just finished a tailgating party where they had left their trash....
    and on Spirit you gotta pay for a soda, juice and water.......and on AirTran it was free mon........
    excellent service on AirTran and a very pleasant experience......and the ticket was cheap......$315
    hope mi never have to travel on Spirit again.......seems like Spirit does everything possible to make life unpleasant for you....and here you are traveling on vacation.....last place to want to have an unpleasant experience

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 55,585 Times in 14,260 Posts

This is what is clear about Spirit. At its best it is a low cost alternative where you get shoddy service and a general cheap, cattle car experiance for your lower fare. This, of course, is if you are lucky and have no fuck ups. At the other extreme you have FUBAR situations like the one described above. I have flown with them once, and have two more flights booked. I have not paid for any of these flights, always using miles from their credit card and reward plan. I'm hoping to use any miles I have left to but the frint seat on some of my flights, leave myself without miles and ditch the card ASAP.

I know this airline has worked out great for some guys, but it seems that you need to a) live in or near Ft. Lauderdale b) be retired or have an extremely flexible life style and c) be willing to "get what you pay for."

I'm saddened that United has eaten Continental, as I had had good experiances with them and United doesn't have such a good reputation. OTOH the Star Aligance program is extensive and hopefully I will be able to continue to make all or most of my flights on the reward system.
    A while back I predicted that, as the noose tightens around TFG's neck, both he and the Maga Morons here would post ever more idiotic crap. Right again.

“It was a violent insurrection for the purpose of trying to prevent a peaceful transfer of power after a legitimately certified election from one administration to the next," McConnell told reporters. "That’s what it was."

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PapiQueRico For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapiQueRico View Post
    This is what is clear about Spirit. At its best it is a low cost alternative where you get shoddy service and a general cheap, cattle car experiance for your lower fare. This, of course, is if you are lucky and have no fuck ups. At the other extreme you have FUBAR situations like the one described above. I have flown with them once, and have two more flights booked. I have not paid for any of these flights, always using miles from their credit card and reward plan. I'm hoping to use any miles I have left to but the frint seat on some of my flights, leave myself without miles and ditch the card ASAP.

I know this airline has worked out great for some guys, but it seems that you need to a) live in or near Ft. Lauderdale b) be retired or have an extremely flexible life style and c) be willing to "get what you pay for."

I'm saddened that United has eaten Continental, as I had had good experiances with them and United doesn't have such a good reputation. OTOH the Star Aligance program is extensive and hopefully I will be able to continue to make all or most of my flights on the reward system.
    Why would than make you Sad ?? with size come economies of Scale..
    They didnt just buy Continetals Planes, they also bougth their ROUTES and TIME SLOTS.. no ?
    or can someone who knows the airline industry better, please explain..
    I'm rather looking forward to taking them again from EWR, which is SOOOO close, rather than deal with JFK & all the bullshit. but because of Fares like the ridiculous $1000 fares continental had ,when Jet Blue was always around $400 for the same days it kept me from throwing $600 away ... My time is worth money, but math is math..

I would be behind Spirit all the way, based on price, but they keep changing the rules and fucking with their customers in so many diff ways.. it just doesnt stop with them... and they dont cooperate with other airlines ?? Im sorry, but thats NOT a good business model..
    Even a neighborhood hardware store knows enough to send you to where you can get something when they dont have it in stock.. you dont hang customers out to dry like that and just assume they will take it and come back..
    Eventually the "good will " will run out... Good Will, thats in the ASSET column, and something they apparantly dont teach any more in business school.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    Why would than make you Sad ?? with size come economies of Scale..
    They didnt just buy Continetals Planes, they also bougth their ROUTES and TIME SLOTS.. no ?
    or can someone who knows the airline industry better, please explain..
    I'm rather looking forward to taking them again from EWR, which is SOOOO close, rather than deal with JFK & all the bullshit. but because of Fares like the ridiculous $1000 fares continental had ,when Jet Blue was always around $400 for the same days it kept me from throwing $600 away ... My time is worth money, but math is math..

I would be behind Spirit all the way, based on price, but they keep changing the rules and fucking with their customers in so many diff ways.. it just doesnt stop with them... and they dont cooperate with other airlines ?? Im sorry, but thats NOT a good business model..
    Even a neighborhood hardware store knows enough to send you to where you can get something when they dont have it in stock.. you dont hang customers out to dry like that and just assume they will take it and come back..
    Eventually the "good will " will run out... Good Will, thats in the ASSET column, and something they apparantly dont teach any more in business school.
    I'm saddened because I have had mostly positive experiances flying Continental and United (which I have only flown once myself) has a much worse reputation for customer service. I have three close friends who travel at least twice a month for business and they all do not feel much "good will" toward United.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PapiQueRico For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

I'm saddened because I have had mostly positive experiances flying Continental and United (which I have only flown once myself) has a much worse reputation for customer service. I have three close friends who travel at least twice a month for business and they all do not feel much "good will" toward United.
    Point taken then, but as you probably know it would only take ONE or 2 key changes at the top(management) to change the whole direction of the company.. Maybe they are making changes cause they know there is a problem. ? . One can hope.. An airline does NOT make a major purchase like that, unless they have a PLAN..
    Delta purchased its own REFINERY recently, that was an extremely innovative decision made at the top & it was Un heard of before in the Airline Industry... Maybe United sees the value in EWR,, that WAS Continentals HOME HUB correct ? ...
    I go all the way back to PEOPLES EXPRESS (which was taken over by Continental) ...but i dont claim to be an expert on this , by a long shot..

EWR can be a major Airport .. as there is some big traveling money here in NJ and there is absolutely no reason for people to have to DRIVE to JFK for a cheaper flight, its ridiculous...

Thanks

Judge,
    I would love to have my concerns end up to be misplaced.

Only time will tell.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to PapiQueRico For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

In the last 4 years I have used United to Tokyo 3 times, Rio 2 times and POP once.
    Flying out of Edmonton, they were all expensive!
    United canceled my flight in Feb. /2012, plus I lost my prepaid hotel room for that night.
    They promised to mail a $100.00 voucher to me.
    Still have not received it, checked their site and NO phone # for customer service.

Recently saw a you tube video of United baggage handlers willfully destroying a $3600.00 Taylor guitaroutside the mans aircraft at O'Hara.
    Uniteds response... basically PISS OFF.
    After 6 MILLION hits United decided to replace the guitar if he would pull the video.
    His response PISS OFF United.
    My response PISS OFF United.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redline For This Useful Post:

Thread Information