Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Santiago airport

Thanks
    Thanked 3,366 Times in 408 Posts

Santiago airport

this question is for the STI frequent travelers. i will be landing in STI next month (my first time). Is there a place to exchange money inside the airport or close to the airport?

i will be taking the metro to get to sosua. I only want to change about 20-30 dollars to cover the taxi and the metro fee.

Some might say why not pay them in dollars. In my experience it is better to pay in the countries currency. I find that you are less likely to be ripped off (there is always chance of course).

For those thinking of using your bank back home... DON'T. i called mine today (PNC) to see if i could get a few pesos just to get me by. They told me that i need to exchange a miminum of $250 (ok cool no problem) but then i ask her what rates would i be getting. I knew they would not give me the current market rate of $1 to 39 pesos, they need their cut of course (i was thinking 36 or 37). She tells me 34 .

So i decline. I have not exchanged at the airport in the DR before but something tells me its more than 34. Especially $250 worth.

Anyways hopefully someone can help

Thanks in advance

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dmoney For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

Re: Santiago airport

Can't help you on this one as I've never been through there before.

If you know you are going to return to the DR at some point in the future, just make sure you bring a few pesos back with you. I usually bring 3000 to 5000 back with me on each trip. This way if I get in at an odd hour, I don't have to worry about "starter" money.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,650 Times in 2,270 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney View Post
    this question is for the STI frequent travelers. i will be landing in STI next month (my first time). Is there a place to exchange money inside the airport or close to the airport?
    I know there's an ATM, but I haven't seen a change booth. You're going to have to take a taxi anyway. Have the taxi stop at Supermercado Central or any bank before dropping you off at the Metro stop. You pay the taxi when you get to the destination and Central is less than a 5 minute drive from the Metro.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to uncle ruckus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,100 Times in 549 Posts

Pretty sure there is a cambio near baggage pick up , no idea of hours of operation ..
    You can't shake a hooker tree and expect housewives to fall out !!!!!

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gulfmariner For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,226 Times in 3,237 Posts

In the airport they only give 36 or 37 if Im not mistaken. Best to hit up atm
    En una tierra de mujeres hermosas, Yo soy El Rey

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to El-Rey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

What time are you getting in? Your available options will depend upon this? There is a bank at STI. But it will be closed if you come in really late.

And PNC is giving you 34 to 1? Hmm. That weird because my new travel account is with PNC. And I like them because they don't have ATM fees. The only chance I've had to use that account, though, was on my last trip to Medellin. And I'm positive that they gave me the exact going rate. But ATMS in Medellin are far and away better than the ones anywhere in the DR because the first thing they do with any transaction is tell you what exchange rate you're getting (at least the ones on Poblado Ave. do). I've yet to find an ATM in the DR that does that.

Banco Popular, as well as most of the other major banks, always gives me the exact going conversion rate. And I trust the banks more than I do your average neighborhood cambio.

There's also a brand new La Sirena close to the airport. And there are banks and ATMs inside. But it closes way before
    Supermercado Central does. And if you're coming in really late (2-3am), there will be putas at Supermercado Central getting food and hanging out.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vpchill View Post
    Do you mean the currency exchange counter at the airport, or the bank at the airport?

The exchange kiosk will rip you off horribly. But you should be fine at the bank/ATM.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 2,554 Posts

I don't recall seeing a Cambio either but, in all honesty, I've never looked for one as I've always had several thousand pesos upon arrival.

As far as the taxis are concerned, I've been quoted $20.00 (veinte dolares) on several occasions, and I then correct them with seis ciento pesos, and they agree. I look Dominican and can speak the limited Spanish I do speak well, so that might be what covers me.

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,366 Times in 408 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DCIronman View Post
    What time are you getting in? Your available options will depend upon this? There is a bank at STI. But it will be closed if you come in really late.

And PNC is giving you 34 to 1? Hmm. That weird because my new travel account is with PNC. And I like them because they don't have ATM fees. The only chance I've had to use that account, though, was on my last trip to Medellin. And I'm positive that they gave me the exact going rate. But ATMS in Medellin are far and away better than the ones anywhere in the DR because the first thing they do with any transaction is tell you what exchange rate you're getting (at least the ones on Poblado Ave. do). I've yet to find an ATM in the DR that does that.

Banco Popular, as well as most of the other major banks, always gives me the exact going conversion rate. And I trust the banks more than I do your average neighborhood cambio.

There's also a brand new La Sirena close to the airport. And there are banks and ATMs inside. But it closes way before
    Supermercado Central does. And if you're coming in really late (2-3am), there will be putas at Supermercado Central getting food and hanging out.
    i arrive at noon. i am thinking of just stopping at the supermercado central for change. like i said i only need a little bit (just need to pay the taxi and metro). I will do the rest of my exchanging in the WU in sosua.

As for the PNC i was referring to ordering a currency exchange not the atm. The take $250 out of your account to order you $250 worth of pesos. You get to pick it up within 4 days.

i would rather be ripped off my airline exchange for only 20-30 bucks than have the bank rip me off for $250. Plus based on what you said the airline rate is more than what the bank lady quoted me.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dmoney For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney View Post
    i arrive at noon. i am thinking of just stopping at the supermercado central for change. like i said i only need a little bit (just need to pay the taxi and metro). I will do the rest of my exchanging in the WU in sosua.

As for the PNC i was referring to ordering a currency exchange not the atm. The take $250 out of your account to order you $250 worth of pesos. You get to pick it up within 4 days.

i would rather be ripped off my airline exchange for only 20-30 bucks than have the bank rip me off for $250. Plus based on what you said the airline rate is more than what the bank lady quoted me.
    Do what is more convenient for you. But you won't get any better rate at Western Union, than you will at a bank. Which will be open when you arrive.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 45,724 Times in 5,924 Posts

there is a banco popular there. atm and mini branch/exchange
    "Panties are not the best thing in the world, but they are next to it"

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to officemgr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 53,118 Times in 6,021 Posts

I notice you're from NJ, if you're in the newark area and want to meet for a drink, I can change you some.

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tarzan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,991 Times in 444 Posts

As soon as you leave the airport there's a money exchange place directly outside. The rates are very reasonable... Almost true to the actual rate..

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GREEKFREAK For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,650 Times in 2,270 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GREEKFREAK View Post
    As soon as you leave the airport there's a money exchange place directly outside. The rates are very reasonable... Almost true to the actual rate..

I must be in the same boat as Rubicon. I must have missed the bank and cambio booth sinc e I'm more focused on finding whoever is picking me up. The only thing I remember is the duty free at the luggage carousel and the booths between the two exits.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to uncle ruckus For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uncle ruckus View Post
    I must be in the same boat as Rubicon. I must have missed the bank and cambio booth sinc e I'm more focused on finding whoever is picking me up. The only thing I remember is the duty free at the luggage carousel and the booths between the two exits.
    I dunno about the cambio (never use them). But the Bank is right outside. I always use the ATM there.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uncle ruckus View Post

I am 110 percent positive that it's directly outside when u get out on the left hand side... Connected to the airport... I was just there last April.. to answer your Direct message .. Your fine .. And the rate was like 37 as well

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GREEKFREAK For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I dunno about the cambio (never use them). But the Bank is right outside. I always use the ATM there.
    It might just be a bank then. I couldn't tell the difference maybe

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GREEKFREAK For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Do what is more convenient for you. But you won't get any better rate at Western Union, than you will at a bank. Which will be open when you arrive.

www.xe.com has the DOP at 39.00 per dollar. And Banco Popular RD's website currently has the DOP listed at 39.16 per dollar. So that's the rate you'll get at it's banks and ATMs.

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 34,226 Times in 2,769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vpchill View Post
    Agreed. I use ATMs all the time and there is one in STI. ATM is the way to go, but there are a couple of things you should check.

1. Call your bank and find out what the fee is for using a foriegn ATM. Some banks have a high fee attached to this.

2. Make sure you tell your bank about your trip to the DR. Banks will cut off ATM cards after one use as well, unless you report the trip to them.

3. Make sure your ATM pin is 4 digits. 6 digit pins may give you problems in other countries.

38. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dquick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 172 Posts

quick question...

if you take cash into the banks out there...how much do they charge for exchanging the money for you? Or do you have to have an account with that bank?

My bank charges crazy international ATM rates so I only use cash and always exchange when I am in town at the cambios or WU.
    It's always happy hour somewhere in the world...

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to theheights718 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information