Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cellular Phone Facts

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts

Cellular Phone Facts

Just because it was needed, I have seen the question many times...

I am not going to go over costs just the facts.

Buyers START HERE!!!
    DR Telecom (Excellent info English & Spanish)
    http://www.drtele.com/

Cellular companies:
    Orange - http://www.orange.com.do/default.jsp
    GSM 1900
    Roaming Partners: AT&T/Cingular & T-Mobile
    Roaming charges AT&T:
    $0.65/min to call the DR from the US
    $3.49/min to call from the DR to US/DR
    $0.50 for text messages (incoming and outgoing) while in the DR.

Codetel/Verizon - http://www.verizon.net.do/
    CDMA 1900 (PCS) & CDMA 2000 1X
    Roaming Partners: Verizon & Sprint PCS

Roaming would definitely work provided your phone worked on the proper frequency and you had the right carrier.

To switch your phone to a Dominican number the only way I know for sure is through Orange. Technically it's possible to switch on a CDMA phone but it isn't instant. Switching SIM cards is much easier.

Options:
    1. Bring an UNLOCKED GSM 1900 phone with you. It has to be unlocked or the SIM card won't work. Pesky cellular companies have the phone locked by the manufacturer so they won't work with another carrier.

Sub-Options (unlocking):
    1. Buy one on eBay or 100s of other sites, "unlocked and cellular" will suffice on Google to find hundreds of sites.
    2. Have your current one unlocked (sorry no warranties beyond this point, do it at your own risk)...
    -Call your Cellular rep, they can get the code, depends on how well they know you.
    -Pay to get it unlocked, some phones are free while others cost money. Of course the commercial sites will try to sell you anything, check around for forums where people with send you the unlock code for free. Motorola's are PITAs and cost money for each unlock, I read why somewhere but forget now.

Unlocking FAQ courtesy of Gutter Meat: http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roa...ckingfaq.htm#6
    2. (I guess) Bring an old Verizon/Sprint phone. I am sure someone who reads Spanish can check the site.

3. Buy a phone there. Of course you can always rent a phone too.
    See DR Telecom for buying info!

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Codetel Works with phones that operate on CDMA 1900 freq (Most sprint phones work) I bought one on Ebay for 20 dollars, went to Playero and they hooked it up for free. CAUTION You need the unlock code If the Sprint phone bill is paid customer service will usually give it to you.

Orange Only works with phones on a GSM network (Tmobile and ATT M Mode) They give you a new sim card and number for 500 pesos w/ a 100 peso card.

DO NOT TAKE A TDMA PHONE You can not activate it.

Thanks
    Hey Don I was in DR last month and my verizon phone worked fine, don't know what they are going to charge me as I have yet to get a bill.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 1,038 Posts

Thanks
    I took 3 phones to the DR in July, one nokia from Sprint, a nokia from from AT&T, and a panasonic from Cingular. Took them to the phone spot accross from the Texaco in SosĂșa. They activated the nokia's (that didn't have sim cards under the battery) for 500 pesos and I got 100 pesos card for free. The Panasonic (with the accessable sim card under the battery) was 1000 pesos and had to be sent to Santiago..

Shouldn't the phone with the Sim card right there under the battery have been easier??

I'm headed back and need to buy a phone to use there, so should I get a GSM even though it was harder to get that activated?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RickRock
    I took 3 phones to the DR in July, one nokia from Sprint, a nokia from from AT&T, and a panasonic from Cingular. Took them to the phone spot accross from the Texaco in SosĂșa. They activated the nokia's (that didn't have sim cards under the battery) for 500 pesos and I got 100 pesos card for free. The Panasonic (with the accessable sim card under the battery) was 1000 pesos and had to be sent to Santiago..

Shouldn't the phone with the Sim card right there under the battery have been easier??

I'm headed back and need to buy a phone to use there, so should I get a GSM even though it was harder to get that activated?
    Nokias can be unlocked using a code number, certain phones like Siemen's require special cables, and worse case is Motorola requires a fee paid to Motorola. Most likely the Panasonic fell into the cable category and those cables aren't cheap so they probably didn't have one in Sosua.

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts
    Gordon (runner for the Palace) got my old cell phone activated for 320 pesos. I don't know how many minutes I have. He said he went to Codetel.

Thanks
    Not be a cock but it's Gordo (fat guy) thats his nick name.. ironic since he's flaco (skinny guy).. his real name is Alfredo.

Thanks
    I knew it was Gordo, but I didn't feel like editing. If I had known that's how he got his name, I definitely would have written it correctly. Thats hilarious! I thought it was odd that his (presumed given) name would be Gordon.

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gdogg
    I knew it was Gordo, but I didn't feel like editing. If I had known that's how he got his name, I definitely would have written it correctly. Thats hilarious! I thought it was odd that his (presumed given) name would be Gordon.
    Tell Alfredo, Rolin,& Fernando that their buddies from Brooklyn will see them sept 17th!..

Feed my kids please gdogg and everyone else out there...

Thanks
    I've been good to them. Which one is Luka?

Are those your kids who are ALWAYS outside? If so, I hooked them up with one of those delicious chicken dinners from the corner.

Is Luka's real name Luka? I can't get that damn song out of my head now. I sing it everytime I see him!

My name is Luka
    I live on the second floor....

Thanks
    Luka is the Bald Haitian man that stays on premisis.. He's a really good dude.

Thanks
    btw how much longer you there?

Thanks
    I know who Luka is...just wondering if he went by a nickname. He is the absolute best!

I leave Sunday afternoon (unfortunately!)

My next trip will be around my spring break dates March 7-13

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,364 Times in 78,283 Posts
    I bought a phone here last year and re activated it today for 350 pesos including 100 peso phone card.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

Thanks
    Which one is Luka?
    Luka is the Bald Haitian man that stays on premisis

I know who Luka is
    Loosin me dog..

Thanks
    RR

Sorry for the confusion. My "which one is Luka?" question was in response to Beas' statement:

"Tell Alfredo, Rolin,& Fernando that their buddies from Brooklyn will see them sept 17th!.."

I was wondering if one of those was Luka's real name. I'm typing too fast sometimes. My bad!

Thanks
    RR

Sorry for the confusion. My "which one is Luka?" question was in response to Beas' statement:

"Tell Alfredo, Rolin,& Fernando that their buddies from Brooklyn will see them sept 17th!.."

I was wondering if one of those was Luka's real name. I'm typing too fast sometimes. My bad!
    Luka is none the above mentioned people. Luka has been working on John's new condos down the road so I rarely saw him at night, John had another Haitian working night security. I forget his name but he was taking English classes and spoke very well, he taught me some Creole.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,105 Times in 4,296 Posts
    Luka is the bald dude that I kept waking up at 2 in the morning because the Palace Penthouse Hot-tub was fucked up. Right?
    Who me ? ? ?
    nahhhh . . . move along, move along . . .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Jayman
    Luka is the bald dude that I kept waking up at 2 in the morning because the Palace Penthouse Hot-tub was fucked up. Right?

That's Luka!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information