Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cellular Phone Facts

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Tomas
    Quote Originally Posted by Apostropheman
    pm "MAV" or "TheLostGringo" they own Caribbian Communication, a cellphone store near Domino and the Europa on Pedro Clisante in Sosua. If you bring a GSM phone they can unlock it and get it going for a nominal fee. I think I paid about $800 pesos when they helped me out.
    If you are going to travel out of Sosua off the beaten path bring an old Verizon/Sprint phone down and get hooked up with Verizon.

Orange is GSM and coverage sucks.
    True however most people I know use Orange but they mostly live in and around Sosua and Puerto Plata.
    When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

Thanks
    Good thing about Orange is I can just use my own phone and only have to change the SIM chip. Bad thing is them dominican Orange bastards de-activate the chip after it hasn't been used for 2 months. So every damn time I'm there I have to get a new SIM chip and thus have a new telephone number. I still have all the chicas numbers, but they do not have mine any longer......Over here Orange never de-activate the SIM chips.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jd_mine
    Good thing about Orange is I can just use my own phone and only have to change the SIM chip. Bad thing is them dominican Orange bastards de-activate the chip after it hasn't been used for 2 months. So every damn time I'm there I have to get a new SIM chip and thus have a new telephone number. I still have all the chicas numbers, but they do not have mine any longer......Over here Orange never de-activate the SIM chips.
    Since you have Orange in Europe does your DR SIM chip roam? If you get a signal why not buy (however many needed) RD$60 phone cards and punch in the card every two months when back in Europe.

Thanks
    For some reason my NL chip (which is a subscription, not a pre-paid) does roam in DR, but the pre-paid DR chip does NOT roam in Holland.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 376 Posts

Verizon phone in DR

Quote Originally Posted by elj707
    Hey Don I was in DR last month and my verizon phone worked fine, don't know what they are going to charge me as I have yet to get a bill.
    Would you recommend bringing a NY Verizon phone to DR? Was it expensive to use?
    Thanks, Doug

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Verizon phone in DR

Quote Originally Posted by Tonto4
    Quote Originally Posted by elj707
    Hey Don I was in DR last month and my verizon phone worked fine, don't know what they are going to charge me as I have yet to get a bill.
    Would you recommend bringing a NY Verizon phone to DR? Was it expensive to use?
    Thanks, Doug
    My memory may be faulty but I recall about $3 USD per minute from another post. It's less than a quarter a minute with a DR based phone.

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts
    Check this out ! I just received my itmized Sprint cell phone bill and none of the calls i made in Sosua were on the bill. I made 12 calls and there's no record of them. Do you think it will be on the next bill?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psriches
    Check this out ! I just received my itmized Sprint cell phone bill and none of the calls i made in Sosua were on the bill. I made 12 calls and there's no record of them. Do you think it will be on the next bill?
    Hell YES!!!

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    no idea but please let us know! this could be a very good thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 1,322 Posts
    Did you make the calls close to the end of your billing cycle? Mine runs from the 15th to the 14th of the following month. When I was there in June, I made one call 2 days before the end of my billing cycle and it didn't show up until the following cycle's bill. It was a call back to the US and it was 99 cents per minute. You can also check how many minutes you've used on their website.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Dawson
    Did you make the calls close to the end of your billing cycle? Mine runs from the 15th to the 14th of the following month. When I was there in June, I made one call 2 days before the end of my billing cycle and it didn't show up until the following cycle's bill. It was a call back to the US and it was 99 cents per minute. You can also check how many minutes you've used on their website.
    It was during the last 4 days of the billing cycle...

Thanks
    It will probably show up on the next bill. I work for a telcom and it usually takes a couple of days for the roaming partners to pass the details through.

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts
    i just called sprint for you PS... and told them to check out those calls and make sure they appear on your bill... they said sorry for not chargin you and it will be on your next bill
    Brooklyn Beas - Mi Tesoro Medellin Part 5 - Green Section with uncensored Videos and Pictures
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429038-04-14-(4-18-5-5)-Mi-Tesoro-Beas-in-Meddy-Part5

Beas in Meddy, just a daily progress report
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?428980-04-2014-Beas-in-Meddy-just-a-daily-progress-report

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBeas
    i just called sprint for you PS... and told them to check out those calls and make sure they appear on your bill... they said sorry for not chargin you and it will be on your next bill
    Actually, i forwarded those calls to your number so i guess it will appear on YOUR next bill.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information