Thread: Credit cards and rental car insurance: What's covered and what's not.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Credit cards and rental car insurance: What's covered and what's not.

When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Re: Credit cards and rental car insurance: What's covered and what's not.

travel

Car Rental Insurance: What’s Covered and What’s Not

Melanie Pinola

Even if you're aware of the free car rental insurance provided by credit cards, unless you read the fine print on your credit card agreements and rental car contracts, it's just plain confusing knowing how your car rental would be protected. This infogaphic from Credit-Land spells it all out.
    To get comprehensive insurance coverage from major car rental services, you could pay $28 a day—more than half the $48 daily cost of renting a mid-size car, according to Credit-Land. Meanwhile, credit card companies offer free collision and auto theft coverage, as well as towing service.
    Generally, however, the credit cards don't offer free supplementary liability insurance—damage to other vehicles, property, or people—and luxury vehicles are also excluded from protection.
    American Express, however, offers premium car rental insurance that covers all of the above for $24.99 per rental period, or if you currently have personal car insurance, they may cover the damages if you get into a fender-bender with your rental car.
    Here's the final recommendation:
    To choose or not to choose Credit Card Rental Protection?
    Credit card car rental insurance is always considered secondary coverage – it covers you if you don't have other car insurance or if you do not purchase insurance from the rental company. A very important thing to know is that with any credit card rental insurance, buying the coverage from the rental company will invalidate your credit card insurance coverage. You can't get coverage from both sources at once. However, if your personal car insurance has a deductible, then your credit card will cover that amount. Keep in mind, although your rented vehicle is protected, you will need AMEX Premium coverage or a separate insurance to cover possible medical expenses and damages you may cause by accident. As always, the best solution is to be careful while driving.
    And the infographic (click to expand, right-click to save):

Full size

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

Unless you have balance on your CC to cover total loss of your rental, don't rely upon in in DR! Buy zero liability rental company insurance including all perils and third party, or just stay out of driving!

No CC company will immediately pay a loss to a rental company!
    ‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,100 Times in 549 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    Unless you have balance on your CC to cover total loss of your rental, don't rely upon in in DR! Buy zero liability rental company insurance including all perils and third party, or just stay out of driving!

No CC company will immediately pay a loss to a rental company!
    I agree ..
    Not being a lawyer but trying to cypher the fine print , to many ifs , ands , ors and buts for me. Its worth paying for full coverage and have no worry , for the few times I fly into Santiago and make the drive ..
    You can't shake a hooker tree and expect housewives to fall out !!!!!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gulfmariner For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,213 Times in 1,597 Posts

American Express has a program where you pay a flat fee of $24.95 per rental period instead of per day.
    I used it last time I rented a car in Sosua but did not read the fine print so have no idea if there are a bunch of loopholes.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...FQfCKgodDysAow

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Happyhorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Happyhorn View Post
    American Express has a program where you pay a flat fee of $24.95 per rental period instead of per day.
    I used it last time I rented a car in Sosua but did not read the fine print so have no idea if there are a bunch of loopholes.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...FQfCKgodDysAow
    None of them cover international "3rd party" and that's where you'll get hit. The insurance will EVENTUALLY cover your car and your injuries, but not the other person's injury or car damage. Remember that an accident in DR is always your fault. So you will be arrested and restricted from leaving the country until you pay the other person's damages in cash.

Also remember you are in DR. So real world logic doesn't apply. AVIS in Santiago once charged me $800 for a crack in the windsheild the size of a dime.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thread Information