Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 08/2012 - Rumba "self -tipping" waiter alert.

Thanks
    Thanked 113,285 Times in 14,580 Posts

Re: Rumba "self -tipping" waiter alert.

I have noticed at several of the little change booths that they will give you change for 500RD at no charge but they wont do more than 500RD at a time.

Most of the change guys on the street seem to want a cut no matter what you are changing with them.

The supermarket change tip is a good one and works well.
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    There was a time when the supermarkets could only give you chiclets for change
    “I don’t know the question, but sex is definitely the answer.”

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 20,452 Times in 1,785 Posts

Bottom line, it is fucking irritating as hell. Waitresses/Bartenders are the worst. Same tactic as always. Get the money from you, go to the register and get change. She has your change in her hand then she puts her hand on her hip, turns sideways and start yapping with the girl on the register. The entire conversation is fake as all hell but nonetheless.............this same ol' tired tactic is the preferred method. You wait, keep glancing making occassional eye contact with the register girl to ensure she knows "I'm not Falling for this Bullshit" then your change arrives. I then give the change to the shoe shine kids on the street 10 PESO at a time.

An Elflow waiter (That I tipped very well in the past) shitted me once claiming I did not pay my bill for about 200-300 PESO. He alleged I was very drunk and forgot. Sure, no problem I paid the bill. .....................And he has not seen me since for 2 yrs now. He has attitude at me because I never drink there anymore.

You provide good service to me in Sosua, you will make mucho money. You fuck me, the money is cut off and I tell all my friends. How hard is that to figure out?

6. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Shogun Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,625 Times in 1,690 Posts

I was purposedly on edge since reading this thread as I ordered a large Presidente over the weekend cause I was giving the dude a 1000 peso bill. I looked at him dead in the eyes with a serious face and said.. Cuanto Es? And than as he stretched out his hand for the bill I held on it for a second to utter "mi cambio" in a don't fuck with me voice before I let the bill go. Needless to say I kept an eye on the dude as he left and he was back in less than 2 minutes with my full change. I might have scared him a little in retrospect. Not sure if its the same dude yall talking about or not though.
    The Game Should Be Sold Not Told

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to blazaveli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    The right price in daytime is 45 pesos to La Javilla which is the furthest point from Sosua but not regarded as a "terminal". If you stay with the cab to the nearest point to La Sirena they would be entitled to charge you a bit more, say 15 to 25 each

From near La Sirena to Sosua should be 45 pesos, unless the taxi stops at the hospital and you have to change. This rarely happens but if it happens they might charge you 25 for the first leg or they might give you a free ride to the hospital. Depends if they like your face. From the hospital to Sosua it is 45 pesos.

It is all about knowing what shit costs. That is what this board is for. You should not be asking the moto or publico driver how much. You should just be handing him the correct amount and walking away. It is not rocket science.
    Enjoy it while you can.

10. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert13212 View Post
    It is all about knowing what shit costs. That is what this board is for. You should not be asking the moto or publico driver how much. You should just be handing him the correct amount and walking away. It is not rocket science.
    No offense, but were you always this astute?

Agreed, this board is a wealth of information. From reading here and meeting members (like yourself), my knowledge has grown exponentially on the ways of mongering and definitely sosua and surrounding.

We all start somewhere I guess.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert13212 View Post
    It is all about knowing what shit costs. You should not be asking the moto or publico driver how much.
    same with Chicas.......you don't ever ask how much......you tell them how much you pay........

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,762 Times in 1,628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    I have noticed at several of the little change booths that they will give you change for 500RD at no charge but they wont do more than 500RD at a time.

Most of the change guys on the street seem to want a cut no matter what you are changing with them.

Another good place to get change during the day is at Merengue club.

I go there, get a gatorade or bottle of water, shoot the shit with the barmaid for a bit, and she will make change for me.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DASBOOTY For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post
    No offense, but were you always this astute?

Agreed, this board is a wealth of information. From reading here and meeting members (like yourself), my knowledge has grown exponentially on the ways of mongering and definitely sosua and surrounding.

We all start somewhere I guess.
    Of course not. We all do start somewhere. But there is no reason an ISOC member should not know the cost of basic services in and around the Sosua area. All you have to do is read or ask.

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

Another good source for changing up big bills is at the Texaco station (next to Metro). The attendants there are usually holding plenty of 500,100, and 50 bills to exchange

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DASBOOTY View Post
    When I was in Sosua in March I went to Rumba bar one night and ordered three drinks from the waiter. The cost was 220 pesos and I gave him 400 pesos (two 200 peso notes). I waited 45 minutes for my 180 pesos in change before I got fed up and asked him "where is my change". He acted surprised but gave me my change and I tipped him 50 pesos.

I was in Rumba Friday night with my chica and ordered a drink from the same waiter. The cost was 150 pesos and I gave him a 200 peso note. Once again, the fucker didn't bring me my change. For 30 minutes I observed as he took orders from tables with Dominicanas and Haitianas and promptly returned their change.

I wanted to order another drink and my chica called over a female waiter. I pointed out to her the other waiter and told her he had not given me back my change. She sent him over to my table and I told him he owed me 50 pesos. He did not have any 50 peso notes, so I gave him a 50 peso note in exchange for a 100 peso note (NO TIP).

The waiter in question is short, skinny, about 25-30 years old and scurries around Rumba like the Roadrunner (not when it comes to bringing my change though ).

While all of this may seem to some to be petty on my part, if we don't stand up to them on self-tipping, short-changing, and bill-padding etc., some of them will keep on trying to take advantage of gringos.

I happened to be in Sosua last week and was waited on by "said" waiter.

When I received my bill of 330 pesos, I handed him the 500 peso note and then told him that he is gaining a reputation of not giving back change and self-tipping. To this he told me that this only happened with 1 customer, in his memory, and that is a larger white-guy with tattoos. (If this is you, this is what he told me)

Apparently the customer had a bill had and handed him 500 pesos. Next, said customer left the establishment only to have the girl he was talking to attempt to claim the change. In an effort of safe-keeping the money he denied giving the change to the chica said customer was talking with, instead waiting for said customer to collect the change himself.

Once said customer came back to Rhumba the waiter then gave him his change.

Max (the waiter), said that a few people relayed this story to him and that he would like to meet with said customer and get the story straight.

FWIW, I have no dog in the fight. I just thought that his side needed to be told as he spent close to 5 minutes recounting the incident to me.

BTW- he gave me correct change

22. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to dr1lvr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,762 Times in 1,628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dr1lvr View Post
    I happened to be in Sosua last week and was waited on by "said" waiter.

When I received my bill of 330 pesos, I handed him the 500 peso note and then told him that he is gaining a reputation of not giving back change and self-tipping. To this he told me that this only happened with 1 customer, in his memory, and that is a larger white-guy with tattoos. (If this is you, this is what he told me)

Apparently the customer had a bill had and handed him 500 pesos. Next, said customer left the establishment only to have the girl he was talking to attempt to claim the change. In an effort of safe-keeping the money he denied giving the change to the chica said customer was talking with, instead waiting for said customer to collect the change himself.

Once said customer came back to Rhumba the waiter then gave him his change.

Max (the waiter), said that a few people relayed this story to him and that he would like to meet with said customer and get the story straight.

FWIW, I have no dog in the fight. I just thought that his side needed to be told as he spent close to 5 minutes recounting the incident to me.

BTW- he gave me correct change
    No, that wasn't me. I don't have any tats.

But, thanks for looking into the matter .
    Last edited by DASBOOTY; 08-15-2012 at 06:40 PM.

24. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DASBOOTY For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 1,038 Posts

This type of shit is standard operational procedure in the DR. This is why I like to give exact change when possible. They always take their sweet as time returning change and hope you just forget about it. When they pull this shit they get no tip from me. If they owe you change, they should give you your change before they start taking other orders. Trust me it's no accident, they just hope you forget about your change in the mix of everything.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gutter Meat For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Meat View Post
    This type of shit is standard operational procedure in the DR. This is why I like to give exact change when possible. They always take their sweet as time returning change and hope you just forget about it. When they pull this shit they get no tip from me. If they owe you change, they should give you your change before they start taking other orders. Trust me it's no accident, they just hope you forget about your change in the mix of everything.
    Nice of you to bump a six month old thread. Especially with that great knowledge!

I usually have correct change, but I prefer to put myself through all the bullshit of giving the waiter way too many pesos, and then enjoying my 20 to 30 minute wait for my change!!

28. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    Nice of you to bump a six month old thread. Especially with that great knowledge!

I usually have correct change, but I prefer to put myself through all the bullshit of giving the waiter way too many pesos, and then enjoying my 20 to 30 minute wait for my change!!
    Waiting for change??? What I can't stand is the 20 or 30 minutes (feels like it anyway) wait to get the order! This usually after 10 minutes negotiating the placement of said order.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post
    Waiting for change??? What I can't stand is the 20 or 30 minutes (feels like it anyway) wait to get the order! This usually after 10 minutes negotiating the placement of said order.
    Are we still talking about Rumba ? I have never waited for even more than 5 minutes to get my order of food next door where they have burgers and chicken, and late at night, its a good spot to chill. The food is OK, not really anything to brag about, but when you hungry it does the trick and I never got sick from there.
    The manager ( Jerry Garcia, LOL) .. hes good people and would straighten out any shit or self tipping nonsense , with some fool waiter. Never had any problems there.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    Are we still talking about Rumba ? I have never waited for even more than 5 minutes to get my order of food next door where they have burgers and chicken, and late at night, its a good spot to chill. The food is OK, not really anything to brag about, but when you hungry it does the trick and I never got sick from there.
    The manager ( Jerry Garcia, LOL) .. hes good people and would straighten out any shit or self tipping nonsense , with some fool waiter. Never had any problems there.
    I've never had much of a problem........if its a party of three or less. Two weeks ago we walked in 5+ strong, grabbed a table, and attempted to order drinks. It was funny to watch the waiter because by the time he got around the table, he had to start again due to forgetting the first part of the order. I think I requested my Presidente Light (grande) three times!

Short term memory is definitely not a forte.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

U would think they would write that shit down on those little order pads or something.. Party of 3 or more, write it down..
    How hard is that..

wait, its the DR...and im using logic again..

what was I thinking..

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Because of the delay in getting change (and sometimes a long delay just to get the waiter to come over so you can pay your bill) I have a new policy - when I'm ready to pay I just wait to see the waiter at the bar (because that's usually the easiest place to find them) and I ask for the bill there, they give it to me, I pay, I get my change, I go. No waiting, no hassle.

38. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Laughing Re: Rumba "self -tipping" waiter alert.

I also pay for each drink/round as we get them so that there is no tab to be fucked with. This goes for pretty much any place where we're just drinking except Rocky's and a couple of other places where I'm confident that I won't get ripped off.

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    Because of the delay in getting change (and sometimes a long delay just to get the waiter to come over so you can pay your bill) I have a new policy - when I'm ready to pay I just wait to see the waiter at the bar (because that's usually the easiest place to find them) and I ask for the bill there, they give it to me, I pay, I get my change, I go. No waiting, no hassle.
    When asked my advice is to always pay as you go...chicas, drinks...same policy
    When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

40. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information