Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Want to Build Railway - PP to Santiago - Where do You Stand?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,983 Times in 412 Posts

Chinese Want to Build Railway - PP to Santiago - Where do You Stand?

Is this something that is automatically agreed to? Because it sounds so fantastic?
    Huge money into the area.
    The ability to hop on this train and get to Santiago in about 30 mins! Sweet!
    Lots of jobs for those that live there.
    It's a no brainer, right?
    But.....

This would be a huge undertaking and require a tremendous amount of space, hence destroying anything and everything in its way.

Once the Chinese sink their teeth into this beautiful paradise, they aren't gonna let go. This project would be the first of many such projects they will want to do and probably will get done - because they have the money, plenty of money.

But is this the best thing for the Dominican Republic?

Having these railways scattered throughout the country? And as the article states - they expect a huge influx of Chinese pouring into the country following their investment so to speak. Also giving a fine sight from above looking like an amusement ride stretching its way around the country. It seems like they would be taking some of the "jungle" out of the Dominican. Taking it into the next century, modernizing the DR.

What are your thoughts?

Good thing? Bad thing? Indifferent?

http://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=3084&article=1

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sosuaman For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Re: Chinese Want to Build Railway - PP to Santiago - Where do You Stand?

Quote Originally Posted by sosuaman View Post
    What are your thoughts?
    I think it'll work out something like this. Plans get approved. China pumps a shitload of money into the project to start things off. Most of the money disappears. China says "What the fuck?" DR shrugs its shoulders. China says "Fuck this" and goes home.

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

Like the one in the Capital? Yeah, how'd that work out?

Why not ask China to help out with the education system?

This country should just rot and sink into the sea.

(except for the bitches)

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

usually what happens is the Plans get approved.......Politicians and someone from China shows up to break ground.......China pumps a shitload of money into the construction project...... taking a lot longer to complete the project than originally thought.........everybody is pointing fingers at each other........ there are cost overruns....... someone goes on strike or contractor(s) pulls off the job.....instead of 4 years the project takes 8 years or twice as long as expected.....and the Politicians and DR government argue about who is to blame.....then the Politicians and someone from China shows up in Santiago to open up their new rail system........Santiago becomes the mongering capital of the DR when all the mongers are jumping on the train from PP........Sosua becomes filled with families and kids from the new AI's that sprout up......and the taxi union mafia goes on strike cause they aren't getting enough business on the Santiago to PP run cause of the new rail system......

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

.....or your ho from Santiago only shows up 52 min late instead of an hour because of the marvels of rail transit.

Yeah......and say goodbye to moto or taxi fare requests in the morning.....

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

I personally think it's a great idea, and I hope it goes through. Would improve travel between Santiago and Puerto Plata/ Sosua I am all for it. I have been on the "subway" in Santo Domingo a few times and think it is a great thing, works well, is one of the cleanest ones I have been on (of course I am from NYC so it probably doesn't count when compared to subways in other large cities and countries) actually thinking about it I loved subways systems everywhere I've been compared to NY, Montreal and a few other cities.

Hope it gets done!!!! But not holding my breath !!!!
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    I personally think it's a great idea, and I hope it goes through. Would improve travel between Santiago and Puerto Plata/ Sosua I am all for it. I have been on the "subway" in Santo Domingo a few times and think it is a great thing, works well, is one of the cleanest ones I have been on (of course I am from NYC so it probably doesn't count when compared to subways in other large cities and countries) actually thinking about it I loved subways systems everywhere I've been compared to NY, Montreal and a few other cities.

Hope it gets done!!!! But not holding my breath !!!!
    But does everyone ride and benefit from the subway in the Capital the way they do in NYC?? Or is it just a select group?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

I'm all for it... Really can't think of any negatives. The country needs it to progress. There will be Dominican hobos...

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    But does everyone ride and benefit from the subway in the Capital the way they do in NYC?? Or is it just a select group?

No they don't! Really it was poor design, it helps a few, but in my opinion it would have been more beneficial in the capital if it was a east/west system going along the route that Ave Independencia goes as opposed to the North/South route they chose. Of course another thing to consider is if they had a east/west route it would put way more guaguas and fast cars out of business, and they really don't want to do that just yet.

But Santiago to Puerto Plata wouldn't really effect the little guy, it would effect Caribe Tours and Metro much more, don't know if they want to do that either.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ohmmmm View Post
    I'm all for it... Really can't think of any negatives. The country needs it to progress. There will be Dominican hobos...
    The problem is, all the greed that will pop up! Everyone....EVERYONE will be looking to get their hands on some of the money, for doing nothing.

ohmmmm, how many people shook you down on your remodel. Yeah, I know it was small, so you didn't have the power of politicians in SD to protect you. But a project this big, those same politicians in SD, Santiago, and PP will be the worst ones. Wanting payoffs, and putting their useless family members on the projects......just for everyone to say "es no mi culpa" when things go to shit!

20. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohmmmm View Post

They already have plenty of those, but to tell you the truth if they run it the way they run it in the capital, there wouldn't be any hobos to be found in the system, good security at every station (police) and a few actually riding on it from the first stop to the last, haven't heard of any horror stories on the system as of yet.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    The problem is, all the greed that will pop up! Everyone....EVERYONE will be looking to get their hands on some of the money, for doing nothing.

ohmmmm, how many people shook you down on your remodel. Yeah, I know it was small, so you didn't have the power of politicians in SD to protect you. But a project this big, those same politicians in SD, Santiago, and PP will be the worst ones. Wanting payoffs, and putting their useless family members on the projects......just for everyone to say "es no mi culpa" when things go to shit!

You make a good point here, there will always be some corruption, but the alternative is status quo, and progress at even the risk of some getting unduly rich, is worth it, no?

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If you could make the trip from Santiago to Puerto Plata in half the time at the same price, is it worth it. How about if you could get from the capital to Puerto Plata in 2 hours instead of 5 for 700 pesos would that be worth it, all of a sudden the trip from NY or where ever wouldn't be a hinderance of your time and money if you flew into la capital and then took the trip from the capital to Puerto Plata or Sosua. So the cheaper fares would really be worth it, plus if a guy wanted to spend a day in the capital he could do it easy, hop on the subway, at 7 or 8 am, get there by 9 or 10 spend a few hours doing your business and be back in Sosua by dinner time, well worth it if you ask me, and for what un mil or un mil quilento.

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If you could make the trip from Santiago to Puerto Plata in half the time at the same price, is it worth it. How about if you could get from the capital to Puerto Plata in 2 hours instead of 5 for 700 pesos would that be worth it, all of a sudden the trip from NY or where ever wouldn't be a hinderance of your time and money if you flew into la capital and then took the trip from the capital to Puerto Plata or Sosua. So the cheaper fares would really be worth it, plus if a guy wanted to spend a day in the capital he could do it easy, hop on the subway, at 7 or 8 am, get there by 9 or 10 spend a few hours doing your business and be back in Sosua by dinner time, well worth it if you ask me, and for what un mil or un mil quilento.
    Don't forget the 1100 peso taxi from the airport to the train station.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 26,907 Times in 6,119 Posts

since there is not much detail in that article. i hope it does not become like most chinese projects in other countries they do business with. they normally bring their own chinese workers to do the project.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to knotty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,426 Times in 4,640 Posts

I'm with Yayow on this one...living in Florida The only Airline flying into POP is American, don't ask me why JetBlue won't offer it but they don't...anyway American rapes me on that flight and I can catch JetBlue to Santo Domingo direct nonstop for almost 1/2 the price so I'd ride the train baby lol
    Helping the 3rd world economy, one chica at a time !!!

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Skynyrd For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

You make a good point here, there will always be some corruption, but the alternative is status quo, and progress at even the risk of some getting unduly rich, is worth it, no?
    I'm all for moving forward. Just like Skynard and you, I hope it goes in. I can fly Spirit for half the price. I just don't like the 5 hour bus ride.

But, will the Chinese money start a feeding frenzy that will end up bleeding the Chinese until they say fuck it, and just abandon the project?

I haven't seen the subway in the capital, but I've seen roads that were just laid a couple weeks before, that got pot holes, because the contractor skimped on the concrete to save money. How does he get away with it? His high powered family member is the one that gave him the job, and will continue to do so, no matter how many projects he screws up. Especially since the contractor is kicking up to the powerful one.

Now we are talking about putting a train either over, or through, the mountains. Someone skimps at the wrong place, that could be a high death toll.

I'm happy to take the train if it goes in. I just won't be on the first few trips it takes.

34. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

I'm all for moving forward...........

TRUST US!.........we know.........

Now we are talking about putting a train either over, or through, the mountains. Someone skimps at the wrong place, that could be a high death toll.

I'm happy to take the train if it goes in. I just won't be on the first few trips it takes.

I'm with you on this one T. Have you seen what the aftermath can be when they build sidewalks and curbs??????

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

I think it would actually make a lot more sense to build a railway from Santo Domingo to Santiago, but that would probably be the next step anyway.

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 52,955 Times in 9,807 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sosuaman View Post
    Is this something that is automatically agreed to? Because it sounds so fantastic?
    Huge money into the area.
    The ability to hop on this train and get to Santiago in about 30 mins! Sweet!
    Lots of jobs for those that live there.
    It's a no brainer, right?
    But.....

http://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=3084&article=1
    But the taxi mafia runs everything. They would be crushed.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seņor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information