Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chinese Want to Build Railway - PP to Santiago - Where do You Stand?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,964 Times in 1,262 Posts

Re: Chinese Want to Build Railway - PP to Santiago - Where do You Stand?

A better, faster, cheaper solution would be to fill the thousands of potholes and build truck pull offs for the existing Ruta. The current ruta is a national disgrace. Forget the Chinese. Build hydro and windmills for DR's power needs. As is available and if economic, import cheap natural gas liquids.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    A better, faster, cheaper solution would be to fill the thousands of potholes and build truck pull offs for the existing Ruta. The current ruta is a national disgrace. Forget the Chinese. Build hydro and windmills for DR's power needs. As is available and if economic, import cheap natural gas liquids.

Actually I agree with much of what you say in this post Sidney, I agree they don't really need the Chinese, don't know why they are involved at all. Although the infrasructure is not the best it has improved quite a bit, since I have been in country, they have built some really good roadways, in Santo Domingo and in other locations, they need more no doubt. But because they have done the other roadways and railways, they have already proven they have the ability, so why include the Chinese, much be more to that, I am sure if the Chinese are involved, they are giving the Gov't substantial loans with a generous payback schedule, and part of the deal is to allow the Chinese get involved in something like this.

As far as hydro or windmill power, plus some others possible sources I have heard of, I feel much better about those sources of energy as opposed to nuclear power, not comfortable with that, and if they instituted something like that on such a relativily small island, that could be a deal breaker for someone like myself, that shit is dangerous. Although I obviously understand the need for more efficient and reliable energy in the country, I would prefer it to stay about the same as opposed to nuclear energy, that shit just scares me.
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    Damn the way most on this board feel about Dominicans, and you want them to think about a nuclear power plant run by Dominicans. Did you see what happened in Japan?????????
    Four dominicans will play merengue at the gates.

As for Japan, yes, all Japan is prone to quakes. Sooner or later they will rebuild modern plants inside the country further away from the shoreline.
    ‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 26,907 Times in 6,119 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orange View Post
    First off, the Chinese are not so generous that they want to build a new railway system out of the goodness of their heart.

What's going to happen is what happened in Costa Rica. The Chinese offered to build them a national soccer stadium in san Jose. The Costa Ricans agreed. And now a couple of years later, Costa Rica is China's bitch.

In case you are wondering what happened in between... China brought in 600 Chinese workers from home (no jobs for Costa Ricans-all Chinese labor) and built the fucking thing in no time (they had 3 shifts going 24 hours a day). They lived in a dorm onsite. In exchange for their generous "gift", China now enjoys duty-free imports into Costa Rica. So more of their cheap plastic lead paint garbage is being peddled throughout the country. And now Costa Rica has agreed to build Barrio Chino (Chinatown) in the middle of downtown. It's almost done, ETA is mid-December.

So basically, it gave China free entrance into the CR market, and did nothing to improve the economy or well-being of Costa Ricans. They now sarcastically call their country "Costa China". They are pissed at the way their government sold the country out.
    this is exactly what I was thinking earlier. That China will most likely use their on labor instead of the locals. They have done this often wherever they go. At the end of the day, China will benefit.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to knotty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 26,907 Times in 6,119 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    By that logic the US is China's bitch as well, if you look at how much the US owes them.

At some point your Country has to have some faith in the people who govern it, and make those decisions, obviously those in Costa Rica, didn't do the right thing by their Country, if the DR does the same they deserve what they get, up to the new President and his people to do it in a way which will benefit their Country. Just because one Country fucked up with their negotiations, that means that all other countries, will as well? If your neighbor attempts to build a small business in your neighborhood and is a total failure, and you have an idea for a business, you should abandon it, because your neighbor fucked up? Or should you believe in yourself, get the best possible advice and move forward with your dreams, regardless of what happened to his neighbor's dreams.

Of course I realize that I am betting on the Dominican Republic's gov't which is historically a bad bet, but it's needed, and maybe they will get it right. Then again maybe not!
    Technically no. The US is not really China's bitch. One can't really live without the other. The US wants cheap shit to buy, and China needs the US to buy them. They are both intertwined into one another.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to knotty For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    That's in the works.

The route from Navarette to Puerto Plata is going to be privatized, widened, and converted to a toll road.

Don't you read the news, Sidney?
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information