Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Want to Build Railway - PP to Santiago - Where do You Stand?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Re: Chinese Want to Build Railway - PP to Santiago - Where do You Stand?

Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post
    TRUST US!.........we know.........

Click to see pic

I'm with you on this one T. Have you seen what the aftermath can be when they build sidewalks and curbs??????

Click to see pic

What can I say?????

I believe in moving forward! No matter the cost!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWeed View Post
    usually what happens is the Plans get approved.......Politicians and someone from China shows up to break ground.......China pumps a shitload of money into the construction project...... taking a lot longer to complete the project than originally thought.........everybody is pointing fingers at each other........ there are cost overruns....... someone goes on strike or contractor(s) pulls off the job.....instead of 4 years the project takes 8 years or twice as long as expected.....and the Politicians and DR government argue about who is to blame.....then the Politicians and someone from China shows up in Santiago to open up their new rail system........Santiago becomes the mongering capital of the DR when all the mongers are jumping on the train from PP........Sosua becomes filled with families and kids from the new AI's that sprout up......and the taxi union mafia goes on strike cause they aren't getting enough business on the Santiago to PP run cause of the new rail system......
    I agree with most of your post. But trust me, the highlighted isn't likely to happen.

I love Santiago and currently log in most of my time in country there. But anyone who spends quite a bit of time in Santiago will tell you that there really isn't much there that will support a major tourist industry. Santiaguerros are a little more conservative than their bretheren in La Capital. It's just not as tourist friendly. It's relatively problematic making any headway there unless you speak the language. Any sort of beach is too far away. And there's relatively little point-and-click mongering.

These are the some of the factors, not access, that really limit tourist traffic to Santiago. It's already a relatively short bus/taxi/drive from POP. And it's cheaper to fly into STI than POP. If Santiago had the potential to replace Sosua as the top DR tourist mongering destination, there would already be thousands of mongers flocking there. But the reality is that the majority of mongers who fly into STI are on their way to the North coast.

I'm pretty sure that the the railway would be mostly used by locals traveling between the two cities, and mongers headed to the North coast. And to be honest, that's perfectly fine for Santiago lovers like me.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-empty.html

Seems to me the Chinese should maybe consider spending a little money on the poor in their own country. Or come up with ways to help out that actually make sense. The above link explains what I mean. Also the link below for footage

What's understood doesn't need to be said.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jonblaze For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sosuaman View Post
    Is this something that is automatically agreed to? Because it sounds so fantastic?
    Huge money into the area.
    The ability to hop on this train and get to Santiago in about 30 mins! Sweet!
    Lots of jobs for those that live there.
    It's a no brainer, right?
    But.....

This would be a huge undertaking and require a tremendous amount of space, hence destroying anything and everything in its way.

Once the Chinese sink their teeth into this beautiful paradise, they aren't gonna let go. This project would be the first of many such projects they will want to do and probably will get done - because they have the money, plenty of money.

But is this the best thing for the Dominican Republic?

Having these railways scattered throughout the country? And as the article states - they expect a huge influx of Chinese pouring into the country following their investment so to speak. Also giving a fine sight from above looking like an amusement ride stretching its way around the country. It seems like they would be taking some of the "jungle" out of the Dominican. Taking it into the next century, modernizing the DR.

What are your thoughts?

Good thing? Bad thing? Indifferent?

http://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=3084&article=1
    Would be much better if they put that $$$ into Education and the current roads (or lack thereof) in the country.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dr1lvr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

It is a hoax. I almost guarantee it.

Chinese don't spend money unless there is a substantial profit behind it. Whatever they do in Africa and Latin America always has got a commercial project behind it in mining or transportation like in Panama.

As for the railway, it is much more viable in Brazil, still there are no railways in Brazil.

There is not enough demand for a railway project between PP and SDLC. What make sense is a toll highway. Even toll highway probably will cost a quarter billion.

Then who will guarantee the project? What the financing costs mainly interest will be? How much will cost to maintain it? Who will maintain it?

Do you recall the story with teleferico maintenance and repair? Everything has to be imported from Europe. The metro is SD operates at a loss and is subsidized.

Again, gimme that $ and I will figure out how to guarantee loans for a nuke power plant which will benefit both DR and Haiti and is absolutely necessary to transform the island.
    ‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    I
    I haven't seen the subway in the capital, but I've seen roads that were just laid a couple weeks before, that got pot holes, because the contractor skimped on the concrete to save money. How does he get away with it? His high powered family member is the one that gave him the job, and will continue to do so, no matter how many projects he screws up. Especially since the contractor is kicking up to the powerful one.
    The money is in the asphalt, big guy.

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    I think it would actually make a lot more sense to build a railway from Santo Domingo to Santiago, but that would probably be the next step anyway.
    That's already in the works. The main reason for that route is to move freight and finished goods from the Free Zones to the port for shipment, people would be secondary. Meant to be a union buster.(truckers)

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    There is not enough demand for a railway project between PP and SDLC. What make sense is a toll highway. Even toll highway probably will cost a quarter billion.
    The conversion of the PP-Navarette-Santiago highway to a toll highway is already underway.

The main reason for a railway from PP to Santiago would be for freight as well. Do you know how much freight is moved through Puerto Plata? Lots.

There is also a new cruise ship terminal being built in Maimon. Tourists on those ships could do a short hop into Puerto Plata for touristy stuff.

BTW, the Metro in Santo Domingo was never meant to be a money maker. It was built to improve mass transit, which is currently a nightmare. The city desperately needs a mass transit system.

Everyone used to say that the metro would be worthless, but now everybody is complaining that it's not big enough. What a change.

The second line East/west is supposed to be done by the end of this year. Here's what it should look like when it's done:

http://us.santo-domingo-live.com/upl...to-domingo.jpg

The entire country is undertaking a "National Master Plan" to improve transportation options.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

Seems that the current government figured out they have no money. Danilo is cutting this and that and many supporters are upset. But, if he can come up with some major projects to help the country that costs no money and no debt, such as a toll road or railroad built by foreigners, then he can show that his policies are working and benefiting people. Everything in this country is for show and appearances...not the truth. Some big projects will look good. I dink...

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,226 Times in 3,260 Posts

Wasn't there a rail system back in the trujilo day? I agree with Mr Happy it will break the hold of the truckers that have strong hold on how products are moved.
    I'm a Payer not a Player

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DMV For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DMV View Post
    Wasn't there a rail system back in the trujilo day? I agree with Mr Happy it will break the hold of the truckers that have strong hold on how products are moved.
    Yep, from Puerto Plata to La Vega. Trujillo had it torn up due to dissidents....

Puerto Plata has always been the main harbour for Cibao, and thus for Santiago and surrounding areas. The dictator Ulises Heureaux (Lilis) opened the route between Moca and Puerto Plata in 1897.

The harbour town became a transfer-harbour for the local area, and exported tropical wood, cigars, tobacco, rum and sugar. When the dictator Trujillo came to power during the 1930s, he encountered a lot of opposition from the important families in the harbour town, so he punished Puerto Plata by dismantling the railway line in 1952, to the fury of those with their own sugar plantations.

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 236 Posts

The Chinese want resources not pussy. This article is a joke.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    The money is in the asphalt, big guy.

That's already in the works. The main reason for that route is to move freight and finished goods from the Free Zones to the port for shipment, people would be secondary. Meant to be a union buster.(truckers)

The conversion of the PP-Navarette-Santiago highway to a toll highway is already underway.

The main reason for a railway from PP to Santiago would be for freight as well. Do you know how much freight is moved through Puerto Plata? Lots.

There is also a new cruise ship terminal being built in Maimon. Tourists on those ships could do a short hop into Puerto Plata for touristy stuff.

BTW, the Metro in Santo Domingo was never meant to be a money maker. It was built to improve mass transit, which is currently a nightmare. The city desperately needs a mass transit system.

Everyone used to say that the metro would be worthless, but now everybody is complaining that it's not big enough. What a change.

The second line East/west is supposed to be done by the end of this year. Here's what it should look like when it's done:

http://us.santo-domingo-live.com/upl...to-domingo.jpg

The entire country is undertaking a "National Master Plan" to improve transportation options.
    Question is there a need to put freight on a high speed rail? Nope.

Is there a need in a railroad from Maimon to an aquarium to play with freaking dolphins from 7 am to 2 pm when the ships are docked? Nope.

I will leave political implications aside, what's 50 years anyway...

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

It will be done sooner then later, and for the reasons MyHappy has said. In the south they do this with sugar cane, and here in the north they will do it for 40 ft container loads, import and export loads, especially from the free zones. IMO in the beginning passengers will not be the focus with the rail system from POP and back
    “I don’t know the question, but sex is definitely the answer.”

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 436 Posts

The Chinese arent going to come in foolish and doe-eyed. They will already have solved most of the problems that will occur, and they will know what will occur. And they didnt just wake up and say "fuck it lets build a railroad for these greedy, corrupt, unappreciative assholes". They are doing it to make money on something. lots of things are made in DR, so who knows what they have up their sleeve.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to swiggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    .......Again, gimme that $ and I will figure out how to guarantee loans for a nuke power plant which will benefit both DR and Haiti and is absolutely necessary to transform the island.

Damn the way most on this board feel about Dominicans, and you want them to think about a nuclear power plant run by Dominicans. Did you see what happened in Japan?????????
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swiggy View Post
    The Chinese arent going to come in foolish and doe-eyed. They will already have solved most of the problems that will occur, and they will know what will occur. And they didnt just wake up and say "fuck it lets build a railroad for these greedy, corrupt, unappreciative assholes". They are doing it to make money on something. lots of things are made in DR, so who knows what they have up their sleeve.
    Maybe they're trying to work the sugar cane market, since China is growing and gas supplies are dwindling everyone's going to have to start looking into more sustainable fuels, and ethanol from sugarcane is a big one (just ask Brazil). You need the right climate and land to grow it and DR has both, it may be the best natural resource left in the DR.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,226 Times in 3,260 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    Maybe they're trying to work the sugar cane market, since China is growing and gas supplies are dwindling everyone's going to have to start looking into more sustainable fuels, and ethanol from sugarcane is a big one (just ask Brazil). You need the right climate and land to grow it and DR has both, it may be the best natural resource left in the DR.

Did you read about the sugar in DR from Brazil. It had sand in it. Strange story because as you pointed out DR grows alot, why imprort it? Has to hurt the local guy.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DMV For This Useful Post:

Thanks

In my opinion progress for he most part, is good, no matter what the reasons behind it. Now will some that are currently doing business, suffer of course, that always is going to happen when you change or put in new innovations, it's inevitable.

Progress is also good in this instance because we are not just talking about your local neighborhood, but things that will effect a whole country, and how they operate in the future, I am all for it, as far as your original question goes.

If the Dominican Republic is going to progress, they need a strong and dependable rail system, every industrial country in the world has one, so if they want to progress, they will need one as well. Baby steps, but steps none the less have to be taken. Can't compare this country to the US, and in my opinion one of the things that many foreigners and new ex - pats are constantly doing, if you make that comparison, it will always continued to be looked down upon. Unless you compare it to the US at another point in it's history. Some call it a third world country, I always considered it a second world country, I know it's just semantics, but it's a way to look at it, and it's place in the world in my opinion.

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

First off, the Chinese are not so generous that they want to build a new railway system out of the goodness of their heart.

What's going to happen is what happened in Costa Rica. The Chinese offered to build them a national soccer stadium in san Jose. The Costa Ricans agreed. And now a couple of years later, Costa Rica is China's bitch.

In case you are wondering what happened in between... China brought in 600 Chinese workers from home (no jobs for Costa Ricans-all Chinese labor) and built the fucking thing in no time (they had 3 shifts going 24 hours a day). They lived in a dorm onsite. In exchange for their generous "gift", China now enjoys duty-free imports into Costa Rica. So more of their cheap plastic lead paint garbage is being peddled throughout the country. And now Costa Rica has agreed to build Barrio Chino (Chinatown) in the middle of downtown. It's almost done, ETA is mid-December.

So basically, it gave China free entrance into the CR market, and did nothing to improve the economy or well-being of Costa Ricans. They now sarcastically call their country "Costa China". They are pissed at the way their government sold the country out.

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Orange For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,983 Times in 412 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orange View Post
    And now a couple of years later, Costa Rica is China's bitch.
    exactly.....

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sosuaman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

By that logic the US is China's bitch as well, if you look at how much the US owes them.

At some point your Country has to have some faith in the people who govern it, and make those decisions, obviously those in Costa Rica, didn't do the right thing by their Country, if the DR does the same they deserve what they get, up to the new President and his people to do it in a way which will benefit their Country. Just because one Country fucked up with their negotiations, that means that all other countries, will as well? If your neighbor attempts to build a small business in your neighborhood and is a total failure, and you have an idea for a business, you should abandon it, because your neighbor fucked up? Or should you believe in yourself, get the best possible advice and move forward with your dreams, regardless of what happened to his neighbor's dreams.

Of course I realize that I am betting on the Dominican Republic's gov't which is historically a bad bet, but it's needed, and maybe they will get it right. Then again maybe not!

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information