Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever Been in a Dominican Jail?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,983 Times in 412 Posts

Ever Been in a Dominican Jail?

I, luckily, have not.
    I know of many different Dominicans who have spent time in jail and have heard the horror stories.
    The jails are small, cramped with people, small hole in the corner for the toilet, over flowing toilet with urine and feces sitting on the floor, 100 degrees in the jail, no one has money, if you do have money they will take it from you - all not a good scenario.

Anyone have any jail stories to share?

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sosuaman For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Re: Ever Been in a Dominican Jail?

I took a tour once.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,983 Times in 412 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    I took a tour once.
    what did you think?
    which jail, Puerto Plata?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sosuaman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sosuaman View Post
    I, luckily, have not.
    I know of many different Dominicans who have spent time in jail and have heard the horror stories.
    The jails are small, cramped with people, small hole in the corner for the toilet, over flowing toilet with urine and feces sitting on the floor, 100 degrees in the jail, no one has money, if you do have money they will take it from you - all not a good scenario.

Your description is what I heard... People there sleep leaning against the wall because they can't sit in the piss and shit...

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

VP wrote in one of his reports about the conditions and the way things work in the system from what he discovered while visiting a friend in prison. It was an interesting read.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,420 Times in 1,613 Posts

When I was younger maybe 8 or 9, I went with my parents to visit a cousin. I believe he was in "La Victoria" not quite sure which jail it was. It was one of the most deplorable situations, I've ever seen. It's what you imagined a 3rd world country prison to be like. It pretty much what has made me keep myself out of trouble while in DR.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,920 Times in 2,853 Posts

8orbetter was the last good jail story I can remember

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to eldorob For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eldorob View Post
    8orbetter was the last good jail story I can remember

JoeyBK had Irie and myself laughing our asses off, the night we got him out of jail. But he hasn't gotten to share it yet.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sosuaman View Post
    i have so many it would take 100 pages to tell them all

i was doing life on the instalment plan

thats what we in canada called working in canadian prisons
    i worked for corrections canada starting at age 21

i started off as a guard, got promoted to a living unit officer then became team leader of the emergency responce team and transfered back to security and became a security supervisor and then acting supervisor in charge of the prison after hours

at age 38 the fucknuts in charge of the solisitor generals department in ottawa (which included the rcmp and corrections) decided we had too many university edecated graduates at ground level waiting for advancement that they should offer early retirement for supervisors so they could move up the ranks.

i qualified by rank not age so i took the golden handshake
    if i had of stayed i would be retired now with a 50g/year pension instead i am working until i drop......... but enjoying every day of it running my buisness and being my own boss.
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

18. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 224 Posts

I visited my neighbor in jail. Somebody was interested in buying his house, so I went to talk to him. Private room with coded entry. Flat screen t.v, microwave, wine 3 cell phones etc. He told me that he had the most expensive hotel in the country. jajaja Lets just say, if you have money, you live good.

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jcrew2020 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

when i was working in corrections and running a small start up buisness on the side i went to work hungry and tired and came home well fed and well rested

canadian prisons are run by fucking stupid people that feel that we should feed them educate them and rehabilitae them when in reality all we do is warehouse them.

the only rehabilated criminal is a dead one or an old one

when i ran a living unit that had over 100 inmates i had all the staff one day (i was bored) make a list of the inmates they would release knowing the others would die if we left them there. almost everyone picked the same 4 or 5 inmates. no one picked over 10.

btw; they ranged from fraudsters/sex offenders/robbers to murderers doing life

22. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,164 Times in 5,857 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    i have so many it would take 100 pages to tell them all

i was doing life on the instalment plan

thats what we in canada called working in canadian prisons
    i worked for corrections canada starting at age 21

i started off as a guard, got promoted to a living unit officer then became team leader of the emergency responce team and transfered back to security and became a security supervisor and then acting supervisor in charge of the prison after hours

at age 38 the fucknuts in charge of the solisitor generals department in ottawa (which included the rcmp and corrections) decided we had too many university edecated graduates at ground level waiting for advancement that they should offer early retirement for supervisors so they could move up the ranks.

i qualified by rank not age so i took the golden handshake
    if i had of stayed i would be retired now with a 50g/year pension instead i am working until i drop......... but enjoying every day of it running my buisness and being my own boss.
    You have bought yourself a longer retirement. Worldwide stats are not good. Jail retirees don't collect long enough. They fade to soon into cold oblivion.
    ‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    You have bought yourself a longer retirement. Worldwide stats are not good. Jail retirees don't collect long enough. They fade to soon into cold oblivion.

I think that applies to all gov't workers. I know it's true for retired military. It was a common discussion at every base I was stationed.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,607 Times in 5,261 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    I guess you mean working (till you drop) on Asian girls, Latin girls, etc. – that really sucks!

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gladiator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    I think that applies to all gov't workers. I know it's true for retired military. It was a common discussion at every base I was stationed.
    it does, the government pension in Canada was running a 30 Biliion surplus from all the guys dying early.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,164 Times in 5,857 Posts

Proves again, want to f... the system, marry a young broad and multiply, this way she may collect spousal and k-ds benefits.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,226 Times in 3,237 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by el toro View Post
    VP wrote in one of his reports about the conditions and the way things work in the system from what he discovered while visiting a friend in prison. It was an interesting read.
    Trip #19, I wrote on my visit to La Victoria Prison.. Now Prison is Prison, But if I could do my time anywhere it would be in DR. The strong and connected RULE.

Otherwise your one of the hustlers standing in the rain begging for pesos.
    En una tierra de mujeres hermosas, Yo soy El Rey

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to El-Rey For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

A American woman I know that lived in Puerto Plata went to a bar one night with some friends.

She met a Dominican guy, and after a few rounds, decided to go somewhere else a little less crowded.

On the way, he mentioned to her that he had to stop at his house to get some money. No problem.

They pull up to the house, he gets out and starts walking towards the house, and BAM! They're swarmed by about 20 cops. She's pulled out of the car, slammed to the ground, and the next thing you know, she's in for dealing drugs.

The guy got 15 years. Even though he tried to convince the authorities that he had just met her, she got 12 years.

It took me almost 4 to figure out where she was being held, which turned out to be a Najayo, just up the road from my business.

I visited her frequently from there on, and she got out after 6.

She was a heavy drinker before, now she won't touch the stuff. She'll tell anybody that will listen to her that you can NEVER be too careful about who you hang out with.

That's why I won't get close to the "Flacco" types. Do something that you shouldn't around those guys, and the moment they get grabbed for something, they'll be singing your name in a heartbeat.

And never underestimate just how "bust a tourist" happy these cops really are. All ya gotta do is read the papers.

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...7bd_story.html

Dominican officials strip wealthy prison inmates of longtime perks, including AC and TV

By Associated Press, Published: September 28AP

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic — Wealthy inmates in the Dominican Republic’s prisons were stripped of their perks Friday, including laptops, TV antennas, tubs and air conditioning units in their cells, the country’s chief prosecutor announced.

General Prosecutor Francisco Dominguez said it was unacceptable that those prisoners received special treatment that regular inmates did not. High-profile inmates also are held apart from other prisoners, but Dominguez did not say if that practice would be ended, too.

It was the first time that Dominican authorities have put a stop to a longtime tradition of allowing inmates who could afford it to equip their cells with extras.
    Dominguez noted that most high-profile inmates have been convicted of crimes that “allowed them to amass great financial fortunes with which they bought not only impunity, but certain benefits as well.”

The practice first became an issue with the May 2009 killing of inmate Rolando Floria, who was serving a drug trafficking and murder sentence. The public learned that Floria’s private cell had wood paneling, an LCD television set, Internet service, a small library and a private kitchen and he was allowed visits from prostitutes. Prison officials claimed not to know about Floria’s perks.

None of the Dominican Republic’s 21 prisons have general air conditioning despite the country’s high temperatures, and the majority of the 22,000 inmates are barred from having laptops and other items.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

and if you have a hard time believing that, one of the prisoners (Luis Alvarez Renta) wrote a letter back to the district attorney refusing to have his perks removed.

A news crew went to Najayo a couple of days ago to see how the ban was going, and watched as a Claro technician walked into the jail with a laptop and a cable TV box.

Then, a few minutes later, a Jeepeta pulled up, the driver got out and walked right into the prison without anyone saying a thing, and a few minutes later, Mr. Renta walked out, got in the jeepeta, and drove off!

I've seen this guy around town on 4 different occasions. The fact that I don't go into town very much, but have seen this guy 4 times, really drives home just how much privilege some of these guys have.

39. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information